daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 21st, 2012, 08:22 AM   #841
State of the Union

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post

I'm not such a fan of the Blue Line. On a southbound train, I was panhandled once. On the northbound return trip, I was panhandled twice more. I've been panhandled near transit stations in other cities, but not on the trains.
This is simply part of the experience of riding the Ghetto Blue. I'm sorry but you haven't experienced the whole Blue Line experience unless you've been panhandled a few times, someone try to sell you something, loud discussions about awkward topics, have a dude blast some rap music, or have a girl try to get some guy to leave her alone.

Last edited by State of the Union; April 21st, 2012 at 08:29 AM.
State of the Union no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:13 AM   #842
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

oh yeah the Blue Line. I guess that's a good idea if you need to score coke in Compton. I remember Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx had quite an adventure on it in "Collateral."

Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 07:16 PM   #843
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GemKqzILV4w&ob=av2n

I believe this is in LA?
krnboy1009 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2012, 09:42 PM   #844
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
oh yeah the Blue Line. I guess that's a good idea if you need to score coke in Compton. I remember Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx had quite an adventure on it in "Collateral."

Actually, this looks like Harbor Freeway Station on the Green Line, but they used the Blue Line Nippon Cars.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 04:11 AM   #845
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of the Union View Post
Actually, this looks like Harbor Freeway Station on the Green Line, but they used the Blue Line Nippon Cars.
He he, I saw that movie recently. It was supossed to be the blue line, don't know if it was actually the blue line, but it was supossed to be it. They take the train at 7th street, from an entrance that was aparently direct from an skyscraper lobby, does that entrance exist? Then they fight and shoot in an empty train for a few stations until they get to this station where the movie ends.

I think they show the name of the station where that scene is supossed to happen but I don't remember.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2012, 05:03 AM   #846
Professor L Gee
Fan of skylines, highways

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
I'm not such a fan of the Blue Line. On a southbound train, I was panhandled once. On the northbound return trip, I was panhandled twice more. I've been panhandled near transit stations in other cities, but not on the trains.
The second time I visited NYC, there was a lady who panhandled entire subway cars. Said her little spiel, insulted us for being selfish when no one gave her anything, moved on to the next car.

It happens.
Professor L Gee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 04:55 AM   #847
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Yeah, that looks like Blue Line at Metro Center, the situs of "Collateral" and "The Italian Job."

Here are a few other music videos that have scenes in the country's most beautiful subway (note that the Pussycat Dolls board a Brooklyn-bound L train at North Hollywood)

Last edited by Woonsocket54; April 23rd, 2012 at 05:02 AM.
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:41 AM   #848
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post
He he, I saw that movie recently. It was supossed to be the blue line, don't know if it was actually the blue line, but it was supossed to be it. They take the train at 7th street, from an entrance that was aparently direct from an skyscraper lobby, does that entrance exist? Then they fight and shoot in an empty train for a few stations until they get to this station where the movie ends.

I think they show the name of the station where that scene is supossed to happen but I don't remember.
This is one of the entrances to the 7th street Metro Center.

image hosted on flickr

7th Street/Metro by Ultra Shine Blind, on Flickr
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:45 AM   #849
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
The video illustrates the congestion that will exist at Metro Center with both the Blue Line and the Expo Line reversing there. A Blue Line train can be seen ahead of the Expo Line train at Pico. The Expo Line train ends up waiting in the tunnel because both platforms at Metro Center are already occupied.

I had expected the trains to have traffic signal priority on the western end of the Expo Line, or at least for the traffic lights to be synchronized with the trains. The video seems to show the trains waiting at most intersections.
In the future that shouldn't be a problem with the extension of the Blue Line to the Gold Line (Regional Connector).

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 12:48 AM   #850
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

On my recent excursion from Pasadena to Redondo Beach, the potential light rail traffic jam at the merge point for the Blue and Aqua/Expo Lines was already evident. On both the southbound and northbound legs of my excursion, there was an Aqua/Expo Line train waiting as my Blue Line train passed. The Aqua/Expo Line will open next weekend, and the line will be completed to Santa Monica in 2015, but the downtown connector won't be completed until 2018 or 2020, so the situation will get worse before it gets better.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #851
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

It's definitely Harbor Freeway Station. You can see the freeway connectors in the back ground, and I've stood next to that support to the left of the picture, which supports an HOV Direct-Connector Ramp.
Old April 26th, 2012, 07:10 AM   #852
State of the Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post

Yep, definitely green line Harbor Freeway. Took this today:
Old April 28th, 2012, 09:45 PM   #853
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

EXPO LINE PHASE I IS OPEN!!!

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #854
soup or man
Avant Garde

Old April 29th, 2012, 02:54 AM   #855
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Quite a misleading map to throw some bus lines in the same map as subway/light-rail lines without any major graphic distinction to reflect the inferiority of buses in relate to rail.

Ditto for not distinguishing full metro from light-rail with grade crossings.
Old April 29th, 2012, 03:29 AM   #856
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Quite a misleading map to throw some bus lines in the same map as subway/light-rail lines without any major graphic distinction to reflect the inferiority of buses in relate to rail.

They have a legend for that.

But perhaps some were just born to complain.
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:47 AM   #857
State of the Union

Quote:

1) It isn't even an official Metro Map, so you fail.
2) The system is called "Metro Rail" Light Rail and HRT Metro are both rail so thus you fail again.
3) The average user doesn't care about the difference. Stating HRT and LRT as different on maps just makes it confusing for people and really it's just rail-fan/Transit-geek nitpicking. I know allot of people that think the Gold Line and Red Line use the same kind of trains. Especially since the Gold Line to East LA has a 2 mile subway segment that acts just like the Red Line.

Official Map:
http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/ma...s/rail_map.gif
As you can see, BRT has boxes and are shown as such on all stations and maps.
Old April 29th, 2012, 07:56 AM   #858
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:

Yeah because the key clearly doesn't say that the Orange and Silverlines are busways.

Good attempt though.
Old April 29th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #859
soup or man
Avant Garde

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:20 AM   #860
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Congrats L.A.!
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles