daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM   #961
Neb81

Likes (Received): 71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly_Walks View Post

I think in the case of LA, this was the only way to go. If the LRT/tram works, becomes popular and becomes overcrowded, that will be a clear signal even to nay-sayers that it should be upgraded.
Sadly, I think you are right. Looking at some of borderline hysterical opposition from like the "exploding school" video, I am suprised they have managed to get as far as they have.

Have any of the tram lines been desgined with future upgrades to MRT grade in mind?
Neb81 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM   #962
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53485

Nice vid celebrating LA's transit resurgence:

Old October 13th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #963
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

there's nothing particularly tribute-like about it ... it's an awfully plain production, which for me typifies that basin's finesse there ...
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:14 PM   #964
nr23Derek

Likes (Received): 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainrover View Post
there's nothing particularly tribute-like about it ... it's an awfully plain production, which for me typifies that basin's finesse there ...
Hmmm, wouldn't say that. For LA to be making a move like this towards public transport is a real culture shift, a video like this wouldn't have been even contemplated only a few years ago. LA has a long way to go yet, but it's gonig the right way.

Derek
nr23Derek no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:37 PM   #965
trainrover

Well, one would expect such a video coming outta 'mighty' LA to be more than merely "nice" The video's bland, not celebratory in the slightest, and scores nil at either drawing out or highlighting the community's character ... these corporate rallying vids that members seem to love lobbing up onto these fora leave so much to be desired For.crying out loud! barely 30 seconds into the (bland!) output, an electioneering scene is woven in, which robs the real matter of civic affairs of any true meaning

Last edited by trainrover; October 13th, 2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old October 15th, 2012, 11:37 PM   #966
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

Looks like LA Metro is investing much, much more in transit than San Francisco is right now in terms of number of projects completed and to be constructed, especially with the recent opening of the Expo Line, an extension of the Metro Orange Line, and enhanced frequency on some of the Metro's busier bus lines. I'm thinking though if the Metro Rapid will continue its expansion even further, as well as if the Metro Silver Line will be extended even further to serve Long Beach rather than just Artesia Transit Center... or probably make the Metro Red and Purple lines run 24/7 on Fridays and Saturdays rather than ending at 2am?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 02:27 AM   #967
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
Looks like LA Metro is investing much, much more in transit than San Francisco is right now in terms of number of projects completed and to be constructed
But San Francisco is building a subway to Chinatown, which will alone have a higher ridership than all of the suburban light rail lines LA is building.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 03:15 AM   #968
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
But San Francisco is building a subway to Chinatown, which will alone have a higher ridership than all of the suburban light rail lines LA is building.
Really?
1) gold line gets about 50,000 boardings a day now, extension will probably add another 10 - 15,000
2) Expo Line is now at about 20,000 boardings. With the line completed to Santa Monica, its supposed to go up to about 65 - 75,000
3) Blue Line has 90,000+ daily boardings
4) Crenshaw Line will have about 20,000 daily boardings
5) Green Line has about 50,000 daily boardings.

ALL these numbers will go up once the downtown connecter subway is finished (connects the 7th street metro station, which is the terminus for the Expo/Blue lines to Union Station, terminus for the Gold Line) allowing for one seat rides across the region.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:33 AM   #969
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2977

Quote:
You can't compare the Central Subway by itself to LA's entire light rail system. The central subway's planned route takes it through the most densely populated neighborhood in SF...but it only goes 1.7 miles. LA's existing light rail lines run through areas of varying density, and have over 60 miles of track. The central subway would have higher ridership per mile, but wouldn't come remotely close in terms of total ridership.

A fairer comparison for the Central Subway is to the planned 1.9 mile Regional Connector subway in Downtown LA.

http://www.centralsubwayblog.com/blo...ding-and-more/
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #970
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23

You can't compare the Central Subway by itself to LA's entire light rail system. The central subway's planned route takes it through the most densely populated neighborhood in SF...but it only goes 1.7 miles. LA's existing light rail lines run through areas of varying density, and have over 60 miles of track. The central subway would have higher ridership per mile, but wouldn't come remotely close in terms of total ridership.

A fairer comparison for the Central Subway is to the planned 1.9 mile Regional Connector subway in Downtown LA.

http://www.centralsubwayblog.com/blo...ding-and-more/
And to add to that: the Central Subway will hopefully relieve the pressure of three heavily-used bus lines, two of which already use articulated buses to travel along Stockton Street through 3rd Street (northbound) and 4th Street (southbound), and that overcrowding persists on all three bus lines. Plus I wonder: which among the bus lines on the LA Metro are the most overcrowded?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #971
blackcat23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
And to add to that: the Central Subway will hopefully relieve the pressure of three heavily-used bus lines, two of which already use articulated buses to travel along Stockton Street through 3rd Street (northbound) and 4th Street (southbound), and that overcrowding persists on all three bus lines. Plus I wonder: which among the bus lines on the LA Metro are the most overcrowded?
Wilshire has the highest bus ridership in the city. The 20 and 720 alone carry 60,000 people per day. Not sure what ridership is for other local buses serving the corridor.

I believer the Vermont bus lines have the 2nd highest ridership, with Western coming in 3rd.
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #972
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
Wilshire has the highest bus ridership in the city. The 20 and 720 alone carry 60,000 people per day. Not sure what ridership is for other local buses serving the corridor.

I believer the Vermont bus lines have the 2nd highest ridership, with Western coming in 3rd.
I have taken the 720 during rush hour and it was full but not overcrowded, and I don't think more than one or two people had to stand.

I would be surprised to hear that any LA Metro buses are standing-room only, except possibly the Orange Line.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM   #973
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I have taken the 720 during rush hour and it was full but not overcrowded, and I don't think more than one or two people had to stand.

I would be surprised to hear that any LA Metro buses are standing-room only, except possibly the Orange Line.
Ah interesting. So which of the Metro bus lines have the most probability of a really bad standing room-only buses? My ride yesterday with Muni went from "ugh" to "aggh!" when I never saw one bus, only to end up having the next one standing room to the brim (30+ standees).

Old October 16th, 2012, 08:57 PM   #974
blackcat23

Quote:

I think you're severely understating bus ridership in Los Angeles; Those Wilshire buses are packed like sardines for much of the day.

This is a photo someone took of the 720 at 10:40 pm on a Friday night:

http://www.greensocal.net/2010/07/wh...ds-subway.html

60,000+ bus riders on a single corridor is overload; that's more daily passengers than many of the individual heavy rail lines in the United States carry.

The orange line looks very similar at rush hour; ridership on that line is 25,000. There is a growing push to convert the line to light rail, which is what it should have been from the start.
Old October 16th, 2012, 09:09 PM   #975
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
I think you're severely understating bus ridership in Los Angeles; Those Wilshire buses are packed like sardines for much of the day.

This is a photo someone took of the 720 at 10:40 pm on a Friday night:

http://www.greensocal.net/2010/07/wh...ds-subway.html

60,000+ bus riders on a single corridor is overload; that's more daily passengers than many of the individual heavy rail lines in the United States carry.

The orange line looks very similar at rush hour; ridership on that line is 25,000. There is a growing push to convert the line to light rail, which is what it should have been from the start.
60,000+ bus riders along Wilshire Boulevard definitely is an overload indeed. Should Los Angeles County prioritize constructing an extension of the Red and/or Purple subway lines sooner than later?

Old October 16th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #976
blackcat23

If Measure J passes, the purple line extension to Westwood (along with several other rail/transit projects) would be fast tracked for completion in roughly 2023. If not, the purple line extension will be opened in segments, with the full extension being completed in 2036.
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #977
trainrover

Quote:
I would've never imagined LA adopting narrow busses
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:39 PM   #978
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:

im sorry, but you are completely wrong.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2012, 11:47 PM   #979
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

I think Metrolink is the black sheep of LA metro transit services: unreliable, subject to frequent delays and with some run-down stations.
Old October 17th, 2012, 06:48 AM   #980
goten2255

Likes (Received): 21

Without Metrolink the freeways would still be clogged with so much traffic and backup that its insane of one not to think there needs an alternative, Metrolink has problems because the fact it deals with Freight Railroads using the Railroads of their domain that they have prioty of.

Metrolink provide the alternative for the people by the people of the people, even though i am not in california i see pictures of Metrolink and i see people do rely on the system yes it will improve but it takes time to improve, it won't happen overnight.

i am very happy to see cities like Los Angeles being smart to invest in their mass transit systems its about time that they did because lets face it we need Alternatives, there is never one way to where you want to go or one way to everything there is many ways, many directions.

Also Metrolink is a Regional/communter Railroad which other Railroads use the same Rail lines that Metrolink uses unlike LA Metro, so the schedules are going to have to adjust for the other railroads as well, i ride Tri rail in Florida and i know that Tri rail and Metrolink shares some of the same cars although i see Metrolink has their cars more upgraded and have longer length of cars then Tri Rail has?

is Metrolink better then Tri Rail?
goten2255 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles