daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 17th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #981
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11257

In addition, Metrolink accepts Amtrak monthly passes and vice versa to serve even more destinations in Southern California, which I find it very cool, especially for travelers and workers heading in and out from Los Angeles to areas as Ventura County, Orange County, Riverside County, San Diego County, and San Bernardino County, as well as the northern fringes of Los Angeles County.

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #982
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

I was there in 2008 during the holidays, so maybe that's what it was. I remember passenger load was light and all of the announcements and signs being in Spanish.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #983
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I have taken the 720 during rush hour and it was full but not overcrowded, and I don't think more than one or two people had to stand.

I would be surprised to hear that any LA Metro buses are standing-room only, except possibly the Orange Line.
When I lived in Culver City, the Venice Bus (733) was almost always standing room only no matter what time of the day. I'm sure it's not as congested since the Expo Line opened.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:31 PM   #984
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I think Metrolink is the black sheep of LA metro transit services: unreliable, subject to frequent delays and with some run-down stations.
Absolutely not. I've ridden it many many times all over SoCal and aside from maybe one or two 30 minute delays, more often than not, I would arrive ahead of schedule.

My only complaint about Metrolink is that it needs to market itself. Aside from Union Station, I don't recall ever seeing any sort of advertisement for Metrolink.

Anyway, here is a couple renderings of the proposed streetcar in downtown (remember that?).

And the route.
Old November 8th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #985
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Measure J, the extension of the LA County transit tax, failed at the polls on Tuesday. It was 64.7% for, 35.3% against. The referendum needed a two-thirds majority to pass. Many bus riders were opposed to this ballot initiative because they thought it would expand rail service at their expense.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ion-fails.html
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:18 PM   #986
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

This small loop with trams only in one direction is rather pathetic. Who would use it? Unless it's supposed to be a city toy

₪₪₪Zielona Gσra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogσrskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Gσra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #987
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Unless it's supposed to be a city toy
It doesn't even go to the Toy District
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #988
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2977

Measure J's failure is disappointing, but hopefully a bill with a similar effect can be pushed through in one of the next election cycles.

Thanks for the streetcar renderings, Soup. If it passes, I'm sure they'll wind up opting for a different color scheme. I'd love to see an homage to Pacific Electric.

Quote:
This small loop with trams only in one direction is rather pathetic. Who would use it? Unless it's supposed to be a city toy
I'm being extremely optimistic here, but I'd like to think of this as a starter route for a larger streetcar system years down the line.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2012, 02:38 AM   #989
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
Actually, that small loop is quite large.

Old November 9th, 2012, 04:13 AM   #990
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Looking at the proposed tram map, it looks like it will only cover around 30 city blocks... But if put into perspective, I think it might cover as much as 70 blocks (given that your boundaries include First Street to the north, Eleventh Street to the south, Broadway to the east, and Figueroa Street to the west. But if I look at it operations-wise, it looks like it covers a small area, similar to a DASH service. Can that tram line be extended even further south to serve USC or the Toy District? Plus, where would the depot be for the tram service?

Rohnert Park • Rio Vista • Richmond • Redwood City • Portola Valley • Pleasanton • Pleasant Hill
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #991
soup or man
Avant Garde

The Expo Line has 3 stations at USC so there is no need to extend the streetcar that far south. And as far as where the tram depot will be: that's a good question. I have no idea where it will be.

One thing that also needs to be factored in is the Regional Connector which will add 3 new stations in downtown.
Old November 9th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #992
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Measure J results by city. (still some ballots to be counted, but unlikely to change the results)
Not surprisingly the farthest and most suburban areas of the county was where the initiative had the less support.

The city of Los Angeles passed it with 69,4% it also got a high percentage in cities like Santa Monica and Culver City with 73,5% and 71,7%
West Holywood was the most supportive city with 81,4% ahead of Cudahy with 80,8% the only two cities where it got more than 80%

There are very few places were it got less than 50%

http://thesource.metro.net/2012/11/0...y-spreadsheet/

Last edited by CCs77; November 9th, 2012 at 06:10 PM.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #993
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1036

I'm confused. Everywhere I've read has been saying that Measure J failed to pass. Is it passed region by region and therefore passes within certain places and not others, or did they recount and the whole thing passed?
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2012, 09:35 PM   #994
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I will explain it in a most concise manner possible:

Measure J is a Los Angeles Countywide measure that is aimed to increase funding for more transportation projects in Los Angeles County (which includes more than just the City of Los Angeles itself). And for that measure to pass, it should have a 2/3 of the electorate (called a supermajority vote) who vote "Yes" on it (66.67%). As a comparison, most of the voting we know only needs a simple majority (50% + 1) to pass or be approved. However, as mentioned in an earlier post, the "Yes" vote only received 64.7% of the vote, making it short of around 2% for the measure to pass. So while it didn't pass in this year's election cycle, it may be more than likely to pass in the next cycle, with rewording and reorganizing priorities to make the measure more acceptable to more residents in Los Angeles County.

Old November 11th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #995
aquaticko

I knew it needed a supermajority, I just wasn't sure if that was overall or city by city. It's a shame that they didn't weight the results according to the population of each electorate. Not only would it likely have passed in that case, but it also makes sense if the idea is essentially to de-auto-centralize the region by easing access into the hub, i.e. LA.
Old November 11th, 2012, 07:01 AM   #996
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

It is a countywide vote, so it does not only involve the City of Los Angeles. The ones that voted "no" on it would be those far from Downtown Los Angeles where limited public transportation options exist, and those are the same people that contribute to a lot of the congestion in the County, especially along the notorious Interstates 5, 10, 105, 405, 605, and 710, as well as Highways 55, 60, and 91.

Old November 11th, 2012, 04:11 PM   #997
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

With voting rules like this no wonder nothing usefull is being passed...

As for LA public tranport in general, right now it's difficult to give a positive answer to the question "Should I stick with public transport if I have my own car or plent of money to rent one (for visitors)?"
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #998
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Also add in the factor that most, if not all, measures and propositions made in the State of California, be it at the local, county, or state level, nearly always require a supermajority (66.67%) vote to pass, which is one thing I do not completely understand: it's like you will need to spend tons of advertising time, from TV and radio, to bus stop ads and newspapers, to get the message out. And by the way, it also factors in the fast-growing numbers of minorities in the state (in fact, California, in itself, is becoming a minority-majority state, with more Latinos, Asians, and Pacific Islanders than Whites) that can constitute to the supermajority voting.

Old November 11th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #999
aquaticko

That's what I mean though; the city of Los Angeles itself is the most heavily affected by congestion, both by residents and commuters, so shouldn't the say of voters in the city count more?
Old November 11th, 2012, 10:37 PM   #1000
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko
That's what I mean though; the city of Los Angeles itself is the most heavily affected by congestion, both by residents and commuters, so shouldn't the say of voters in the city count more?
Sure. The issue though is that it is a Countywide vote, making the rest of the communities in the outlying suburbs involved too in the voting. And it seems like the suburbs swayed the vote to stop implementing it.

Tags
los angeles