daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 12th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #1001
SydneyCity

Likes (Received): 202

High car ownership does not always equate to low public transport ridership. Just thought I would say that, because people have been speculating that the reason the transit tax was opposed was due to high car ownership.

Sponsored Links
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #1002
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Likes (Received): 11245

Hmmm then how can you endorse suburban residents who are more than likely to drive than take public transit to support a measure that may have little to no impact to them, especially they live far from the City of Los Angeles to begin with, but still part of Los Angeles County?

San Carlos • San Bruno • San Mateo • Saint Helena • Ross
fieldsofdreams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #1003
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2977

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyCity View Post
High car ownership does not always equate to low public transport ridership. Just thought I would say that, because people have been speculating that the reason the transit tax was opposed was due to high car ownership.
The reason the transit tax failed was largely because of poor understanding about the actual benefits of Measure J (borrowing billions with record low interest rates, etc.) and exaggerated fears about a tax "hike." Plus some extra misinformation courtesy of the BRU, although their efforts were too small in scale to reach that many voters.

Lots of people complaining that a half cent tax was too oppressive for future generations to deal with. A half cent tax that amounts to $25 per year. Not exactly an oppressive burden for the people, especially considering very tangible benefit of better transit in the near, instead of distant future.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 09:07 AM   #1004
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

the BRU being the Bus Riders Union? Dang, I think the bill should be rewritten in a way that it won't sound like a burden to Los Angeles County residents; rather, it will pave the way to improving existing and potentially expanding LA Metro, Commuter Express, DASH, and Metrolink services.

Old November 13th, 2012, 09:34 AM   #1005
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

The Bus Riders Union is one of the most anachronistic, backwards and classist NGO I've ever read of their platform. They were opposed to Measure J because they are against train-based public transportation.

Their platform/argumentations goes on this line:
- bus is good because the poor ride it

- the more direct (without transfer) bus routes, the better, no matter how circuitous or how infrequent they are [they sued the transit agency there over streamlining bus routes even if service were increased]

- rail is bad because it improves the areas it serves, increasing real estate prices along the route and driving low-income out, bus is better because it is slower, and doesn't attract newcomers

- police are the enemy and policemen should be fired, and replaced by new 1000 bus drivers. They wanted LA county to stop hiring 1000 new policemen crying foul of racial profiling ant other b.s.

I'm not kidding or making this up, you can all read their absurdities on their website.

Moreover, the Bus Riders Union teamed up with other wackos such as the "Beverly Hills High School Concerned Parents" (look at a video I posted few pages back on this thread) to oppose all new rail transportation in LA area.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #1006
blackcat23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The Bus Riders Union is one of the most anachronistic, backwards and classist NGO I've ever read of their platform. They were opposed to Measure J because they are against train-based public transportation.

- the more direct (without transfer) bus routes, the better, no matter how circuitous or how infrequent they are [they sued the transit agency there over streamlining bus routes even if service were increased]

- rail is bad because it improves the areas it serves, increasing real estate prices along the route and driving low-income out, bus is better because it is slower, and doesn't attract newcomers

- police are the enemy and policemen should be fired, and replaced by new 1000 bus drivers. They wanted LA county to stop hiring 1000 new policemen crying foul of racial profiling ant other b.s.

I'm not kidding or making this up, you can all read their absurdities on their website.

Moreover, the Bus Riders Union teamed up with other wackos such as the "Beverly Hills High School Concerned Parents" (look at a video I posted few pages back on this thread) to oppose all new rail transportation in LA area.
Agreed on all counts.

What upsets me the most about the Bus Rider's Union is their willingness to misuse the concept of racism to promote their cause. "Transit racism," is an absolutely meaningless term. Metro deciding to cut bus service that was made redundant by adding a rail down the same corridor is not racism: it's common f***ing sense! The BRU's use of such loaded language where it does not apply dishonors people who have actually fought legitimate discrimination.

Their platform is ultimately the result of ignorance and shortsightedness. At times, I'd say they even stray into reverse discrimination. They have focused so much on "protecting," transit riders' rights that they get in the way of things that are of critical importance to the regional economy. The BRU's energy would be much better spent advocating for improved funding to social welfare programs that elevate people out of poverty, rather than fighting rail expansion that benefits people across the class spectrum.
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #1007
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

These guys are the BFF's of BRU :p

Old November 13th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1008
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

With all the disdain I see here for the BRO, is there a TransitRidersUnion yet? If not... start one! Even if it's just a facebook page for starters, get it going. I'm sure there's plenty of Angelinos who want good transit (and don't always want it to have to be buses). Get the TRU going and upstage the ol' BRU. Learn from all the problems you see in how the BRU does it's business both internally and with regards to actual transit policies.

/it might take some time, but attention wouldn't be far behind. Media loves the cheap and easy stories to report: TRU vs BRU makes for just such a story.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, ήrσndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1009
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

I am a serious transit rider, and combine that with me being a city planner in the making, and it will be a wonderful combination to start a Transit Riders Union... Probably it should start for both LA and SF Bay Area,

Old November 14th, 2012, 12:52 AM   #1010
blackcat23

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams View Post
I am a serious transit rider, and combine that with me being a city planner in the making, and it will be a wonderful combination to start a Transit Riders Union... Probably it should start for both LA and SF Bay Area,

Something to this effect does exist in LA, at least:

http://transittalk.proboards.com/index.cgi#general
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:39 AM   #1011
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams
Also add in the factor that most, if not all, measures and propositions made in the State of California, be it at the local, county, or state level, nearly always require a supermajority (66.67%) vote to pass, which is one thing I do not completely understand: it's like you will need to spend tons of advertising time, from TV and radio, to bus stop ads and newspapers, to get the message out. And by the way, it also factors in the fast-growing numbers of minorities in the state (in fact, California, in itself, is becoming a minority-majority state, with more Latinos, Asians, and Pacific Islanders than Whites) that can constitute to the supermajority voting.
To be clear, only new or higher taxes (or in this case, an extension of a tax) require a two-thirds vote. Regular measures and propositions require only a simple majority.
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 02:49 AM   #1012
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5751

This suburb has its priorities in check. Yes for condoms, no for trains.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:12 AM   #1013
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post

they are a bunch of bastards and hypocrites. there was a meeting in downtown LA a couple years ago and i saw scores of BRU members wearing their stupid yellow shirts taking the subway to the meeting. i would look at them and shake my head and they would all hang their heads in shame. All the BRU does is bullshit and is a shill organization for bus DRIVERS, not riders.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #1014
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
To be clear, only new or higher taxes (or in this case, an extension of a tax) require a two-thirds vote. Regular measures and propositions require only a simple majority.
In that case, what would be a better way to rewrite that proposition so that it can finally pass in Los Angeles County? I mean, a tax measure like that could be passed if it is discussed in a clear, concise manner, not when some group messes up the bill's original intention and messes up the agenda.

Old November 14th, 2012, 05:04 PM   #1015
CCs77

Likes (Received): 2445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
This suburb has its priorities in check. Yes for condoms, no for trains.
F.Y.I. The measure B, safer sex in adults films, got 56,23% for the option Yes, while The Measure J got 64,73% so, which got a higher percentage? the difference is that measure B could pass with 50% +1 of the votes.
You can check the results of the three measures voted that day here: http://rrccmain.co.la.ca.us/0012_Cou...sure_Frame.htm

And you have to take in count that measure J means somehow an increment of taxes, the other measure I guess don't.
And I don't know what is wrong with condoms anyway.
CCs77 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2012, 08:39 PM   #1016
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldsofdreams

In that case, what would be a better way to rewrite that proposition so that it can finally pass in Los Angeles County? I mean, a tax measure like that could be passed if it is discussed in a clear, concise manner, not when some group messes up the bill's original intention and messes up the agenda.
That's easy. You simply ask, "Should we continue to fix transit in Los Angeles?", and the vast majority of people will say, "YES!" Just don't bring up how you pay for it. Of course that means you're not going to have any money to do anything about it then!
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #1017
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

http://thesource.metro.net/2012/11/1...on-four-lines/

As the system grows, our ridership is growing exponentially. New records on 4 lines last month!
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1018
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 857

Well done L.A.!

L.A. really has done a great job on expanding it's transit service and is proof that a car dependent city can be turned around.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #1019
fieldsofdreams
PH + SF Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
http://thesource.metro.net/2012/11/1...on-four-lines/

As the system grows, our ridership is growing exponentially. New records on 4 lines last month!
Now that is success on a monumental scale. Hopefully, LA can catch up with its NorCal rival in making the region more transit friendly... how about making the county and region more walkable?

Old November 17th, 2012, 11:32 PM   #1020
mopc

Likes (Received): 11945

So the average weekday ridership on all rail lines (metro, light rail) now is 360,000 pax /day. Still quite low for 80 km of tracks, but good considering how car-centric LA is.
mopc no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles