daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #1121
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeFe View Post
I am an Australian tourist currently on holiday in Los Angeles and I could not agree more that LAX needs a direct (and let me emphasize that - DIRECT) rail connection to downtown Los Angeles. I made the journey from LAX to Hollywood via the Green, Blue and Red lines....now that's a journey I won't forget....90 minutes.....many, many kilometres travelled that were not necessary.

On a positive note I find the LA light rail system much better than anticipated....the trains are classified as trams by the nay-sayers, well I say call them trains...I think the term "light metro" is the most appropriate.
The train carriages are much wider than what I consider "trams" plus 3 car sets are not uncommon...again not tram like....the stations are spaced widely apart (not tram like at all) enabling the trains to reach speeds of 80kmh(?) and grade separation has been employed at busy intersections to speed up the journey.
The stations are well designed....would just like some more information about next trains.

Keep up the good work LACTMA......someone has to fight the fight in this car -plagued metropolis!
Well, you have to consider the long distances here in LA too, but yes, maybe once the Crenshaw corridor is completed it should cut some time down from LAX-Downtown.

Missing form this video are the Purple and Green lines.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:36 AM   #1122
PeFe

Likes (Received): 171

Kenni wrote
Quote:
Well, you have to consider the long distances here in LA too, but yes, maybe once the Crenshaw corridor is completed it should cut some time down from LAX-Downtown.
No, not good enough, Los Angeles must be the largest city in the western world that does not have a direct rail connection to the city centre. People who arrive at airports do not have cars, even other Americans must find this a bit inadequate!
PeFe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 12:44 AM   #1123
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeFe View Post
Kenni wrote

No, not good enough, Los Angeles must be the largest city in the western world that does not have a direct rail connection to the city centre. People who arrive at airports do not have cars, even other Americans must find this a bit inadequate!
Every sensible passenger arriving at LA airport either rents a car or has someone pick them up. Maybe in the future it will be different, but right now it is what it is...
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2013, 09:44 PM   #1124
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

Which is a shame for one of the leading cities of a big and extremely wealthy country.
Old September 4th, 2013, 01:21 AM   #1125
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
Which is a shame for one of the leading cities of a big and extremely wealthy country.
It is shame,
it is one of the leading cities,
it is a big country,
but with the
Quote:
...extremely wealthy country
u must have done a joke, right? Unless 'extremely wealthy' means that 60% of the population has no social insurance or a decent access to the health care.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany

Swede, geometarkv liked this post
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 03:22 PM   #1126
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Hard to believe those original Sumitomo-Kinki Sharyo sets are over 20 years old now. I still have opening day on the blue line fresh in my mind. Ahh the memories. Guess they'll be retiring them soon...
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2013, 11:24 PM   #1127
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunfuns View Post
Every sensible passenger arriving at LA airport
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1128
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1678

DFW is the airport ive used the most, and its more like LAX in that it is long and narrow terminals around the perimeter of a big road and parking knot, rather than a tree with branches like DEN.

It was designed in the same era, before airport security or major hub traffic and was beyond horrible to use until they built the people mover, which is inside security.

I think LAX needs two people mover loops, like MIA. One would be airside and link terminals, the other would go to a ground transport center. In the long run Metro would go to the ground transport center, which would be somewhere away from the airport.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM   #1129
diablo234
Oh No He Didn't

Actually it's pretty funny that you brought up DFW in the first place, since their DART light rail system is expected to reach the airport by next year. Anyways hopefully LAX will finally be connected to the train system as it is pretty ridiculous that the country's second largest city isn't connected by rail to it's airport which is also one of the busiest airports in the world and one of the largest gateways into the US.
diablo234 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 02:48 PM   #1130
Falubaz

You are right, it is a shame, but no wonder in a car-country like States where public transport was neglected for decades.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
Old September 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #1131
JimmyHD

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falubaz View Post
but with the u must have done a joke, right? Unless 'extremely wealthy' means that 60% of the population has no social insurance or a decent access to the health care.
They can pay for it if they want to! They have a right to choice in which directions their money is going through.

Let me get this straight, United States are the most richest country in the world's history and there's no doubt about that!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nominal)#Lists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Househo..._.28PPP.29_.24

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nsumer_markets

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ersonal_income

Now lets get back on the topic - for the most powerful country in the world, such as USA, it's really a shame that infrastructure is lagging so much behind the rest of the world! If someone takes a tour at airports and subways /u-bahns/ in Germany, everything in America will look like a bronze age equipment thereafter!

Less wars + more infrastructure = stronger economy and happier people!
JimmyHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1132
Falubaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyHD View Post
... United States are the most richest country in the world's history and there's no doubt about that!
Well exactly we have our doubts because of all the debts US have.
It is also the country with most debts in the worlds history.
So not sure about its 'richness'

Quote:
Now lets get back on the topic - for the most powerful country in the world, such as USA, it's really a shame that infrastructure is lagging so much behind the rest of the world! If someone takes a tour at airports and subways /u-bahns/ in Germany, everything in America will look like a bronze age equipment thereafter!
Agree about that

Quote:
Less wars + more infrastructure = stronger economy and happier people!
Agree, agree, agree - more than 1 time!

Old September 8th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #1133
JimmyHD

Quote:
Well exactly we have our doubts because of all the debts US have.
It is also the country with most debts in the worlds history.
So not sure about its 'richness'
Well, that's not really true.

United States have less debt than 99% of European countries.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/world-debt-clock.html

Debt is calculated as percentage of the size of the economy that you create.

Now, debt that United States have is mostly owned by their own central bank, just 8% of it is in foreign hands, hence that's not real debt! Basically, U.S. has debt of only 8% to their GDP ratio!

Also, you have forgotten that Americans are only nation in the world which has advantage to issue their own credits, unlike other countries, which means they're only ones who have ability to own their own debt in national currency /U.S. dollar per se/. It's kind of their exclusive right!

You should not forget than U.S. dollar is currency that world needs as part of their financial system, so U.S. is practically forced to have a higher debt and deficit than one they usually would have. But that's not an issue for american economy. The real problem is where that money goes... And that's another topic.

In Europe however, debts are owned by foreign creditors in foreign currency (U.S. dollars) and United States are only country in the world with right to print international currency, which is used as worlds paramount reserve currency, currency for international settlements and currency for international credit-lending between states.

I've lived in Germany until my 19, then I moved to U.S. 3 years ago and hell yeah, there's no comparasion when in comes to $$$. The standard of living is completely another world! Sure, U.S. has their own problems, infrastructure is busted, streets are getting every day more and more like those in Africa, people are still satisfied with something that world has abandoned few decades ago, such as classic windows instead of PVCs, electrical and infrastracture cables in general haven't yet been installed underground, but still hanging up in the air /like Spidermans web/, rails are from 19th or 20th century at best, you know, there's a lot problems going on in U.S. these days /or even decades/.

However, if you want to make a lot of money, there's no better and wealthier place in the world than US to achieve that goal.

American cities are generally a lot more bigger than Europeans, hence it's much more difficult to implement every major change, still there's a lot of stuffs where U.S. overcomes Europe and what impresses me most is the fact that there's so little things missing to make U.S. even more superior to Europe in every term I've mentioned.

In '80s U.S. has had similar problems comparing its infrastructure to Japan, but they rebounded in 90s with no problems. This country is something amazing and has so much potential even as world most advanced country, there's so many rooms for improvements, which is incredible. I would never come back to Germany! As a tourist, yeah, I'm all for it, I love Germany, my old, good Frankfurt and all my family and friends there, but for living - no way. I'm in Europe right now and let's get serious, U.S. with all its disadvantages is still best place for living and making good cache of course.

Finally, like I said, U.S. economy is the biggest economy in the world and largest economy in the world's history. Show me which country has bigger or even had a similar one in absolute numbers? Come on! U.S. consumer market is largest one in the world, topping next 5 on the list combined, as well as being country with biggest disposable household income both in per capita and purchasing power parity term.

America has the biggest military spending, more than almost whole world combined /which is not a good thing if you ask me/, therefore there's no doubt about their abilty to stay the top dog as richest country that world has ever known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...itary_spenders

We can continue like this 'till morning with no problems. 75% of the most powerful brands are coming from United States and 8 of 10 in top 10 are from U.S. /with ZERO from Europe and just two from Asia/

http://www.interbrand.com/en/best-gl...rand-View.aspx

You name it.

Although, with fasistic presdients in last two decades, it's getting really hard to mantain top spot.

Last edited by JimmyHD; October 24th, 2015 at 05:03 PM.
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:09 PM   #1134
flierfy

Likes (Received): 296

Not to forget that the USA have also the biggest density of boasters in the worlds history who gloat over pointless statistics to show the unrestrained superiority of the USA which are indeed 'more bigger' than the rest of world combined.

SAS 16 liked this post
flierfy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 09:55 PM   #1135
SAS 16

Likes (Received): 160

and that average north american consumes 2 to 3 times more resoruces and energy than a wealthy european....
SAS 16 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #1136
JimmyHD

Quote:
pointless statistics to show the unrestrained superiority of the USA which are indeed 'more bigger' than the rest of world combined.
Well, at least for me as an economist, it's very important.

I earn $$$ from that "pointless" statistics. Companies are operating with that "pointless" statistics. Geopolitical influence is based on that "pointless" statistics.

Anyway, I didn't started that subject at all. Just responded!

My opinion - my right - you know - it's a free world.

Quote:
Not to forget that the USA have also the biggest density of boasters in the worlds history
This is very Nazi stereotyping dude.

Take it relax, compañero!

Quote:
and that average north american consumes 2 to 3 times more resoruces and energy than a wealthy european....
Yeap!
Old September 9th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1137
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

No longer doctored,
Quote:
Originally Posted by flierfy View Post
pointless statistics
are nursed and have been for quite some time
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 10:31 PM   #1138
dan72
Rai

Likes (Received): 23

Are there any grass sections of the light rail in LA or is it all concrete track?
dan72 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #1139
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5968

del

Last edited by Slartibartfas; December 8th, 2013 at 02:34 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 07:36 AM   #1140
JimmyHD

Quote:
within the Eurozone are considered "foreign" if national borders are crossed, while in the US "foreign" really means from another currency and economic area. True, "foreign" in the Eurozone is not the same as "domestic" but its not the same as your "foreign" either. I am not an expert in public finances, but I was puzzled about your remark of bonds owned by foreign creditors. I thought the regular currency of eg German bonds is the Euro.
Noup, euro is paired to U.S. dollar, so basically every debt is located in American currency as guarantee of payment back! They sure use euro bonds, but the same amount is placed in treasuries in U.S. dollar bonds as well. That's the reason why in every international trade for example you've 200% instead of 100%. U.S. dollar is present in every single transaction and credit loan within eurozone or outside her!

/although, Bank of International Settlements published newest data which has showed euros fall from 39% (2010) to 31% (2013) historic low, while U.S. dollar rose to 86% (2013) from 84% (2010). /

With respect of U.S. debt, if you measure "foreign" in that kind of way, U.S. doesn't have debt in that case at all! Every single per cent of U.S. debt is located in their own currency and only in their own currency, which means they're only nation in the world who can pay any debt with their own money! In other words, Americans can always print money to pay ANYTHING, while European's just can't.

It's kind of unfair game, I'd agree, but well, that's the life. Natural selection. Only alfa lion makes a good f*ck. 8-) Paraphrase, but good one.

PS. You should ask yourself if eurozone if busted, to who Germany owes such a tremendous debt? To Greece? Or Spain, Portugal? Cyprus? If eurozone is de facto insolvent, that means Germany is in debt to FOREIGN creditors, 'cause she's the only solvent country within eurozone! And German external debt is rising at fastest pace in 3 decades! To who?

So, if Germany needs debt to pay its own obligations (not to mention the hidden debts for basic social expenditures /http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...latt-says.html/), that means the country isn't capable to make loans to any country by herself, hence, every single cent within eurozones debt is practically debt to foreign creditors outside of eurozone!

FOREIGN CREDITORS -> IMF/WORLD BANK -> ECB -> GERMANY -> INDEBTED COUNTRIES

/even though Germany is indebted as well, just size of her economy compared to other European countries makes her look healthier to investors/

U.S. debt in other hand is debt in U.S. treasuries denominations, which means anything U.S. owes to someone else apart from their own FED, it's still domestic debt 'cause again that debt is being issued by their own central bank. U.S. dollar is only worldwide currency and only un-paired currency for cross-international payments.

Europe is de jure most indebted continent in the world, same as continent with worst demographics and biggest unemployment rate. I'l tell you as someone who has grown up on this continent /right now I'm in Europe on business for few weeks/, Europe is going from bad to worst and I'm glad I've escaped from that mass.

If you take a look for instance at fertility rate, the minimum for sustain the nation(s) is 2.0. Everything bellow that benchmark makes a nation(s) disappearing. There's no economic model which can repair that sorth of damage. Europe is getting older and there's not enough children to replace nor the working age population neither for further births. Thereby, we'll have less people paying taxes and more people on social pensions. System will destroy itself few decades from now.

Now, if you look at data, whole Europe has fertility rate at only 1.5, with muslim injection included. Without injection, fertility is even lower. Asia has 2.18, U.S 2.06, Africa 4.5 and so on. There's no escape from that gap. Europe will loose people at fastest pace EVER! What is far more important there'll not be enough people who will be able to pay all this debts. It's demographic collapse never seen before. And you know, we should be aware of this, 'cause that issue will affect us all. Demographics are crucial for every economy.

Economic numbers are not zero-sum game!

Finally, when it comes to infrastructure - like I said - it just sucks in U.S., I hate it, they throw so many $$$ on really stupid things /not to mention wars and weapons/, and 20% of it would boost infrastructure to the moon Hope that irrational policy will change soon! But skyscrapers are sucking in Europe for instance and highways are so tiny in Europe compared to American ones, so we're at same when it comes to duckmetry. Every part of swamp has its good and bad sides as well, but for me is fascinating how little U.S. needs to become even more superior to Europe, which impresses me first as an economist and secondly as someone who adores $$$. Infrastructure is the smallest problem. Mentality for changing infrastructure is another thing.

U.S. is U.S. then like 5 places and we come to Europe and Asia. That's my experience so far. But I do oppose their religious obsessiones. Europe hands down when it comes to secularism!

Quote:
But anyway, what does that have to do with PT in Los Angeles?
Nothing at all.

I've given an answer to false claims that U.S. isn't the wealthiest country of the world, I hope we can move now from that topic!

Last edited by JimmyHD; September 17th, 2013 at 07:54 AM.

Tags
los angeles