daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 15th, 2014, 12:35 AM   #1161
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

I think a people mover system is ok, especially if there are several distant gates to connect. But those pople movers should connect to a direct fast rail connection to the centre.

LA seems to get at least close to such a thing, in the near future. Are there any estimates already? How long is it going to take to go from the gate to the Union station or some station in downtown?

Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:13 AM   #1162
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

Congratulations on your first post. It's been a long four years!
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #1163
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedoyleblogger View Post
... The largest major US city with full one-seat ride rail service to the airports is actually Chicago.
SFO has the BART to the city.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 04:51 PM   #1164
sotonsi

Chicago is the third biggest city in the US - San Francisco is the third biggest in the bay area!
sotonsi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2014, 11:47 PM   #1165
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

As The Crenshaw Line Starts Work, Metro Is Figuring Out How To Connect To The Airport
http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...he_airport.php

This relates to the current topic discussion regarding options for rail connection to LAX.

Thursday, January 16, 2014, by Neal Broverman
There's been a lot of talk about a rail connection to LAX in recent days and now they're narrowing in on potential plans to make it happen. Metro officials want to cut the options to four and are suggesting dropping three alternatives that would have featured underground light rail directly to the terminals and another that considered bus rapid transit (though a motion from County Supervisors Mark Ridley-Thomas and Don Knabe that just passed the construction committee would hold on to two options that consider light rail directly to LAX; the full Metro board will decide officially what options to drop at their meeting next week). Before you start freaking out, tunneling under the airport to get to the terminals was never very realistic, with extreme costs and a deleterious effect on any Metro riders not going to the airport (i.e. just trying to get to Norwalk, Redondo Beach, the Crenshaw District, DTLA, or Santa Monica). Maybe even more important than those concerns was the Federal Aviation Administration's restriction on construction near flight paths......................

The four most likely options left all involve an automated people mover that connects to the Crenshaw and/or Green lines. Two of those would require a new little stub for the Crenshaw Line—which officially breaks ground on Tuesday (more on that below). One option would have the Crenshaw Line bust out toward LAX and stop at a new intermodal transit facility, with buses, drop-off spots, parking, and an APM station. Another option would require a stub of Crenshaw be built toward the edge of the airport, near the pylons, with an APM taking people from there.

It's not clear when or how the stubs would be built as the Crenshaw Line is about to start major construction and there is no budget for a new stub toward LAX (the APM is being studied by Los Angeles World Airports, operator of LAX, and will be paid for partly by Metro money and probably the airlines, which don't want to pay for it, according to the non-enthused-sounding LAWA director). Not to mention that any new stub would require a whole environmental review. It took years to complete and finalize the environmental review for the current Crenshaw Line route, which finally gets shovels in the ground during a ceremony Tuesday at the Expo Line Crenshaw station—the northern terminus of the Crenshaw Line. Everyone from Mayor Garcetti to federal Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx to Senator Barbara Boxer to Congresswomen Karen Bass and Maxine Waters is expected. The line is expected to open in only five years and the hope is that the APM connection opens concurrently.

The other two options would keep the Crenshaw Line as it's currently designed and just have people connect to the APM near the station at Century and Aviation Boulevards. One option seems to indicate people could cross a skybridge from the Crenshaw station to board the APM, while the fourth option shows the APM at Aviation and Ninety-Sixth Street, a five-minute walk from the Crenshaw station, and one that would seem to require going to street-level, walking to Ninety-Sixth, and then ascending to the APM station.

Considering everything, it would seem the APM station at Century and Aviation is the most logical, since every option will require transferring to an APM (like most connectors at major airports).

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2014, 12:53 AM   #1166
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrafel View Post
Good to see such progress; using a public transportation in LA was a suffering experience for me.
It's disappointing that the second largest city in the U.S. lacks efficient public transportation. I'm glad they're working on an airport connector. The metro map is OK but I feel like it needs to be extended much more than it is now and in such a way that it can take maybe 1/4 cars off the road. I guess the bottom line is that they're making progress. I hope LA can get back to the public transportation glory days of the old streetcar system.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 06:50 AM   #1167
PeFe

Likes (Received): 171

As my name was mentioned a couple of posts back I thought I would add a few more "discussion points" on LA transit.
As a tourist one thing that constantly amazed me was the slowness of the "boarding" of the buses. The requirement of "exact change" really does lengthen the whole process....as a first step why not make the "rapid" buses Tap card only.
A lot of other cities in the world operate a transit system where cash fares incur a 30% premium, encouraging regular (and casual) users to use a fare card. This works quite well, even in car dependent small Australian cities like Brisbane and Adelaide. I believe in Adelaide the split between fare card and cash is now 80/20.
The price of the Tap Card in Los Angeles is still $1 I believe, so cheap by world standards. London's Oyster Card costs $8 and fare cards in Australia vary from $4-50 to $9. The poor would not be disadvantaged by this, indeed it would be in their interest to use a fare card (enabling them to access the cheap weekly/monthly passes)
And if you want to be really brutal and speed up the whole boarding/paying process, follow Melbourne's example of NO cash fares, fare card only!

fskobic liked this post
PeFe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2014, 09:26 PM   #1168
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Fare cards are much better than cash but still much slower than no cards with irregular ticket controls on the bus (incl. hefty fines for people without a valid ticket). If people don't have to show anything, they can easily board at all doors but also don't create a bottleneck at the doors (during swiping their card or showing it to the driver)

But I agree, for a start it would help already a lot if tickets bought in the bus should were more expensive. That would already help to speed up the service significantly and even more importantly cut down unexpected delays.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; January 20th, 2014 at 09:33 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:23 AM   #1169
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

And so it begins: ground is broken for 8.5-mile Crenshaw/LAX Line opening in 2019
http://thesource.metro.net/2014/01/2...nshawlax-line/

Swede liked this post

Last edited by bighomey3000; January 22nd, 2014 at 06:29 AM.
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 06:34 AM   #1170
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Options for future northern extensions of the Crenshaw Line:
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:02 AM   #1171
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26179

To the topic:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 08:05 PM   #1172
FM 2258

Likes (Received): 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
Options for future northern extensions of the Crenshaw Line:
They should build a line all along Santa Monica Blvd with a direct spur to UCLA. Not sure why they don't have this already.

Another line that parallels the 405 would be good too.
FM 2258 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2014, 10:24 PM   #1173
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

On a side note about US light rail in general; why are there no units more than 3 segments in length? Is there some kind of FRA mandate regarding that kind of thing?
Old January 22nd, 2014, 11:03 PM   #1174
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

The platforms for the light rail line in Seattle are long enough to accommodate 4-car trains. The light rail line in Buffalo can also accommodate 4-car trains; however, the trains in Buffalo are composed of shorter non-articulated cars.

Most light rail lines in the United States have segments on city streets, so platform lengths are limited to the distance between the cross streets at either end of stations.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:43 AM   #1175
Sopomon
Hideous and malformed

Likes (Received): 153

I mean within the individual units, like this:

European trams tend to have many segments to them while:

Trams in the US tend only to have 2-3 segments, a unit of this length would be comprised of several articulated segments elsewhere
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:59 AM   #1176
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Houston has ordered mult-segmented 100%-low-floor light rail trains from CAF.

http://blogs.ridemetro.org/blogs/wri...oor-Model.aspx

Actually, I'm not certain that the graphic and article above are accurate. I saw a news clip on the web concerning the first of the Houston light rail vehicles to be delivered. The car in the news clip looked like a standard "two-bedrooms-and-a-bath" partial low-floor light rail vehicle.

The light rail trains in Los Angeles are all high-floor with level-floor loading from high-level platforms.

Last edited by greg_christine; January 23rd, 2014 at 02:12 AM.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 05:15 AM   #1177
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Because typically European trams don't run in trains. Meaning it's usually just that one unit running as opposed to the American practice of running 1 car during the extreme off peak periods 2 cars during peak hours and three cars during a higher demand. Sure the actual cars themselves are shorter, but that allows for some creative training opportunities I guess. I'm not sure whether or not it's a money saving practice though.

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 08:05 AM   #1178
MrAronymous

Likes (Received): 6104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sopomon View Post
I mean within the individual units, like this:

European trams tend to have many segments to them while:

Trams in the US tend only to have 2-3 segments, a unit of this length would be comprised of several articulated segments elsewhere
Because the US light rail doesn't share the road at any point and doesn't have tight corners. The tram from your picture goes through an old city centre so needs to be flexible and have a good turn radius.
MrAronymous no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2014, 01:39 PM   #1179
jonasry

Likes (Received): 148

What are the rail tracks next to Crenshaw used for?
jonasry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 02:31 PM   #1180
fskobic
jarunac

Likes (Received): 214

I wanted to post this here, but I accidentally posted it on the wrong thread :P Here it is again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskobic View Post
I can see that there was some talk about the movie Her and the ''LA of the future'' here on the forum, but I don't think anyone's posted the futuristic map of the transit system from the movie. Here's the cropped version, and the full size version is available at the link below.

The map is pretty weird and confusing. Everything's geographically displaced (LAX is apparently in San Pedro, Malibu is in Santa Monica etc.) and some stations have idiotic names like Hair Salon or Nail Spot. But, I'm a map freak, so it was interesting to analyze it. :P

Here's the link to the whole thing. Enjoy!

fskobic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles