daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 5th, 2014, 06:34 PM   #1381
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

They should build both
It doesnt look like 'alternatives' but as totally different extensions.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #1382
Kenni
Admin

All those "little cities" are fighting to have the extension go their way, I happen to agree that both should be built. The one going to Whittier (Richard Nixon's old stomping ground), could easily be the branch that will extend to the south-east of LA County, and connect to the Green line.

phoenixboi08, Arnorian, Nexis, geometarkv liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #1383
Kenni
Admin

Btw, the Regional Connector and Crenshaw Corridor are under way.

Swede, redspork02 liked this post
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #1384
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

Metro unveils the pilot Kinkisharyo P3010 rail car for Glod & Expo lines:

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #1385
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

Judging by the appearance of the map on post #1284, can the new Downtown Connector also be planned to accommodate the new Crenshaw Line, in addition to the (realigned) Blue Line and Gold Line?

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #1386
Gil

Likes (Received): 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
Judging by the appearance of the map on post #1284, can the new Downtown Connector also be planned to accommodate the new Crenshaw Line, in addition to the (realigned) Blue Line and Gold Line?
I was under the impression that the long-term goal of the Crenshaw Line was to connect with the Red Line via West Hollywood incorporating what was the "Pink Line". Otherwise it would be best, base on the same map to either have the Gold or Crenshaw line continue east along the other alternate alignment into South El Monte. I don't know enough about the area to make a call on which line it should be. Does the Chinatown stop have a crossover to allow trains to terminate there?
Gil no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 04:46 AM   #1387
Jim856796

Likes (Received): 848

More on the possibility of the Crenshaw Line using the Downtown Connector:

Upon its initial completion, the Downtown Connector is planned to be utilized by the realigned Gold Line and Blue Line. If the Crenshaw Line is extended to utilize the Downtown Connector, then the extended Crenshaw Line would potentially link the Downtown/CBD area and Union Station to the vicinity of the LAX Airport. But there's a potential downside to this: if the Crenshaw Line utilizes the Downtown Connector, then the headways/frequencies of the Blue Line and Gold Line may be reduced.

Gil, an attempted response to your question: I think there's a crossover (if that's the right term, It's supposed to look like this: "lXl") just to the north of the Union Station Gold Line Station, but I don't think there's a crossover anywhere near the Chinatown Gold Line Station.

You support the good projects... and oppose the bad.
Jim856796 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2014, 10:29 AM   #1388
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Increased headways on the Expo and Blue lines would seem to be a deciding factor that axes the idea of having the Crenshaw line use the DT Connector. The rail should be set up so that it is possible, but in reality better to have a many trains per hour on all lines than having fewer tph and more interlaced lines. If a direct DT-LAX connection is wanted, it ought to be with a line specifically designed for it.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ţróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2014, 05:59 PM   #1389
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Editorial: Going off the rails on Metro's rail cars

http://www.latimes.com/opinion/edito...023-story.html

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:13 AM   #1390
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Hey guys, so I've been working for a little while on a version of a future Metro map I thought you might like to weigh in on. I was inspired by Nick Andert's Metro 2040 Map, and there are some elements of his layout in here... but what I found after giving his map a closer look was that, even though it looked very comprehensive, because LA is just so huge, that there were still huge gaps.

Working on the premise that the "core" of L.A. (the area with the highest density of housing, businesses, services and tourist destinations) is roughly the area bounded on the East/West by Century City and the L.A. River, and on the North/South by the mountains and the 10 Freeway, I tried to layer in nearly-Manhattan-like train density in as efficient a way as I could. The idea being, in the core of the city, you should never be more than a mile's walk to a train station. Then I worked my way outward with decreasing density, but not so much that the extremities are underserved... after all, the people who'll rely on an extensive commuter rail network the most are those traveling into the city core from the far East, North and South.

I based the core aliments, for the most part, on projects we're familiar with as either planned or under study (the Gold Line and Crenshaw Line extensions, the 405/Sepulveda Line, converting the Orange Line to rail, etc.), but took the liberty of tweaking them in some places (like turning the green line north towards Santa Monica from LAX, and repurposing the Southern Green Line spur for other LRT lines). I tried to avoid overlapping lines as much as possible, but there were some areas where it only made sense, and there are only two very short stretches with 3 overlapping lines.

Ultimately, I came up with a network of 17 rail lines -- 5 heavy and 12 light. Some of them are very long, but I decided to err on the side of long lines, versus breaking it up into even more.

This is very much a work in progress, so apologies for some of the squiggliness, the lack of station names, and some of the strange proportions (especially in the Eastern third of the map, where the Metro map I was overlaying this with forced me into some bizarre workarounds). I've just been doodling this in Skitch on my work computer and will try for a more professional version, likely from scratch, after I've gotten some good feedback.

GoMetro3 by maknight23231, on Flickr

Also, please ignore the key in the image. I've taken the liberty of renaming several of the lines, and a couple of them have been diverted from their original courses anyway. I chose to go with names because, with 17 lines, colors started to get pretty silly and letters/numbers are just hard to keep track of. Here's MY key:

Heavy Rail Lines

Wilshire Line (FKA Purple Line)
Union Station to 3rd Street Promenade via Wilshire Blvd.

Beverly Line
3rd Street Promenade to Downtown Burbank via Wilshire Blvd., Beverly Blvd., Vermont Ave., Hyperion Blvd., Brand Blvd. and Glenoaks Rd.

Ventura Line (FKA Red Line)
Union Station to Warner Center via Wilshire Blvd., Vermont Blvd., Hollywood Blvd., Cahuenga Pass Tunnel and Ventura Blvd.

Vermont Line
Downtown Long Beach/San Pedro Harbor to Burbank Airport (BUR) via Seaside, Vermont Blvd., Hollywood Blvd., Cahuenga Pass Tunnel, Lankershim and Vanowen.

Sepulveda Line
Sylmar to LAX via Van Nuys, Sepulveda Pass Tunnel, Westwood Blvd. and Sepulveda Blvd.

Light Rail Lines

San Gabriel Line (FKA Orange Line)
Chatsworth/Warner Center to Claremont and Ontario Airport via current Orange Line BRT right of way, Colorado Blvd., and northern Gold Line LRT, including all phases of the Foothill extension

Long Beach Line (FKA Blue Line)
Downtown Long Beach to Claremont and Ontario Airport via current Blue Line LRT, Downtown Regional Connector LRT, and northern Gold Line LRT, including all phases of the Foothill extension

San Fernando Line
Chatsworth to Whittier via Plummer, San Fernando, Current Gold Line LRT, Gold Line Eastside extension southern alternative and Washington Blvd.

Crenshaw Line
Cerritos to Hollywood/Highland Station via Artesia Freeway, Victoria Blvd., 405 Freeway, Current Green Line LRT southern spur, Crenshaw Blvd., San Vicente Blvd. and La Brea Blvd.

Paramount Line (FKA Green Line)
La Mirada to Malibu via Imperial Highway, current Green Line LRT/105 Freeway, Lincoln Blvd., Abbott Kinney Street, Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway

Shore Line
CSU Long Beach to Malibu via Pacific Coast Highway (Long Beach), Hermosa Ave., Rosecrans Blvd., current Green Line LRT southern spur, LAX rail hub, Lincoln Blvd., Abbott Kinney Street, Main Street and Pacific Coast Highway

Venice Line
Venice Beach to Whittier via Washington Blvd. and Slauson Ave.

Central Line
Venice Beach to Covina via Washington Blvd., La Cienega Blvd., San Vicente Blvd., Santa Monica Blvd., Sunset Blvd., Alhambra Ave., Mission Rd., Ramona Blvd.

Pico Line
Whittier to Hollywood/Highland Station via Washington Blvd., Pico/Venice Blvd., San Vicente Blvd. and the Sunset Strip

Expo Line
Downtown Santa Monica to Pomona via current Exposition Line LRT , Downtown Regional Connector, current Gold Line East LA segment, Gold Line Eastside extension northern alternative, Highway 60 and Valley Blvd.

Lakewood Line
CSU Long Beach to East Pasadena via Lakewood Blvd. and Rosemead Blvd.

Azusa Line
Azusa/Irwindale to La Puente/Hacienda Heights via Irwindale Ave., Sunset and 7th Street.
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:16 PM   #1391
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Some LA Metro LRT Photos from Kevin Mueller

Blue Line in Long Beach

Long Beach, California - W. 8th near Pacific - September 16, 2014 (1)
by hoteldennis, on Flickr

Long Beach, California - Pacific and 8th - September 16, 2014 (3)

Long Beach, California - Pacific and 7th - September 16, 2014

Long Beach, California - Long Beach Blvd. near 11th - September 16, 2014 (2)

Long Beach, California - E. 1st and Long Beach Blvd. - September 16, 2014 (2)

Metro Gold Line

S. Pasadena, California - Gold Line on 110 Bridge at Fremont and Grevelia - September 17, 2014 (8)

S. Pasadena, California - Gold Line on 110 Bridge at Fremont and Grevelia - September 17, 2014 (11)

Pasadena, California - E. Del Mar Blvd. - September 17, 2014 (5)

Pasadena, California - Gold Line I-210 Median - September 14, 2014

1st Street Viaduct

Los Angeles, California - 1st Street Viaduct - September 17, 2014 (57)

Los Angeles, California - 1st Street Viaduct - September 17, 2014 (19)
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2014, 08:28 AM   #1392
dimlys1994

More on new Anaheim station, taken from ARTIC website:

Nexis, kyah117, phoenixboi08, geometarkv liked this post
Old November 2nd, 2014, 12:03 PM   #1393
skyfann

Likes (Received): 53

Is the Los Angles MEtro clean?

I want to see the beautiful metrostations
skyfann no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2014, 07:16 PM   #1394
Tom 958

Likes (Received): 163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim856796 View Post
More on the possibility of the Crenshaw Line using the Downtown Connector:

Upon its initial completion, the Downtown Connector is planned to be utilized by the realigned Gold Line and Blue Line. If the Crenshaw Line is extended to utilize the Downtown Connector, then the extended Crenshaw Line would potentially link the Downtown/CBD area and Union Station to the vicinity of the LAX Airport. But there's a potential downside to this: if the Crenshaw Line utilizes the Downtown Connector, then the headways/frequencies of the Blue Line and Gold Line may be reduced.
From what I can find, it would be very difficult to directly connect the Crenshaw Line to the Expo Line since the Crenshaw Line is to be underground at that point. Add to that the difficulty of doing so while preserving the option of extending the Crenshaw Line northward, and... no way it'll ever happen.

Without looking too hard I found this nifty post in LACurbed, complete with informative map and sensible discussion in the comments. As any observer of LA transit development would expect, there are thorny engineering, fiscal, and political issues associated with any possibility.

To me, it's just as well: LA has a fine grid of boulevards that can be used for high quality transit service, whether bus, BRT, rail or whatever. Now that the regional Connector is a go, it's not terribly important what happens at the innumerable other intersections on the grid. No matter what's decided, there are limits on how right or wrong it can be.

redspork02 liked this post
Tom 958 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 07:42 AM   #1395
turtlebay

Likes (Received): 46

A journey of a thousand miles...http://thesource.metro.net/2014/11/0...ire-boulevard/
turtlebay no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #1396
dimlys1994

And video:

redspork02, Arnorian liked this post
Old November 9th, 2014, 02:25 AM   #1397
redspork02

great news!

Old November 9th, 2014, 01:11 PM   #1398
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 467

Wonderful!!

Sent from my SC-04E using Tapatalk
starrwulfe está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:10 AM   #1399
redspork02

After 53 Years, LA Gets to Work on its Subway to the Sea

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2014/1...sea_1.php#more

[Photo via Metro Purple Line extension / Facebook]

So what if it's really only the Subway to the VA, Metro finally broke ground today on a subway down Wilshire Boulevard, a project first proposed back in 1961 and long known as the Subway to the Sea. Today it's known as the Purple Line extension and it'll travel from the existing Purple Line terminus at Wilshire/Western to Westwood. Eventually. For now, it'll travel 3.9 miles, to the edge of Beverly Hills (whose elaborate opposition to the project is a story for another, less festive day), with stops at La Brea, Fairfax, and La Cienega. That section is set to open in 2023.
Phase II of the project will add stations at Wilshire/Rodeo and Century City, and is set to open in 2026, assuming none of Beverly Hills's shenanigans are too successful. Phase III will put stops at UCLA and the West LA VA and open in 2035. So in just 21 years, there'll be a new nine-mile subway line to get travelers between Downtown and Westwood in 25 minutes. Metro is still seeking new funding to speed up that timeline a little; a transpo sales tax modeled after the wildly successful Measure R failed in 2012 after getting 66.11 percent of the vote (true story!).
We looked at the long history of Subway to the Sea failure a little while back—the property developers along Wilshire had streetcars banned on the boulevard back in the 1920s; Metro's predecessor proposed a "backbone" transit line in 1961 that would've run above-ground from El Monte to Downtown. There were some small explosions and a lot of handwringing and lawsuits along the way, but today we're finally here. (Meanwhile, the Expo Line extension will open a few blocks from the beach in Santa Monica in about a year.)

Expansion Map

The Metro Map with th eExpo Line and Purple Line extension completed.

WIlshire/LaCienega Station (Short walk to Beverly Center about .8 of a mile).

Wilshire/La Brea Station (Mid-Wilshire office district)

Wilshire/Fairfax Station (LACMA Museum and Oscars Museum Stop includung a .7 mile walk to the Grove/Farmers Market)

Swede liked this post
Old November 11th, 2014, 02:34 PM   #1400
RawLee

Likes (Received): 1083

This new line came up on our forum as a comparison for our new metro, and I'd like to ask if anybody has the math behind it.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/n...extension.html

I mean, 20000 passangers? Really?
RawLee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles