daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 21st, 2015, 08:32 AM   #1541
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26132

Video about construction of Expo/Crenshaw station:

JustWatch, redspork02, geometarkv liked this post
dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:37 PM   #1542
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5762

There has been a Metrolink derailment in Oxnard, CA due to the train striking a car on the tracks.

This was train #102, originating at East Ventura at 5:25 am, due Union Station at 7:14 am.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/...ain-on-tracks/
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:49 PM   #1543
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Oxnard, CA | 2015.02.24 Metrolink derailment

https://twitter.com/10newsnatasha/st...32033416503297

dimlys1994, geometarkv liked this post
Old February 24th, 2015, 04:53 PM   #1544
Svartmetall
Ordo Ab Chao

Location: Past: Northampton, UK (19 years), Auckland NZ (7 years), Now: Stockholm, Sweden
Likes (Received): 8816

Ouch. That looks like quite an extreme crash. I thought that trains in the US were far sturdier than European ones and derailments like this are much more rare. No one killed?
Svartmetall no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 05:15 PM   #1545
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

There may have been a fatality in one of the trucks that was hit by the train at the grade crossing. This is what is left of it:

https://twitter.com/KTLAMorningNews/...38701332258816

https://twitter.com/MatthewKeysLive/...36733637292032

Thirty injuries were reported. The train left East Ventura and stopped at Oxnard before the incident. Metrolink has push-pull operation and it looks like here the locomotive was pushing the four bi-level cars, and with the impact point at the lead car, three of the four cars derailed.

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 24th, 2015, 06:18 PM   #1546
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

The car on the far right in the top post was the cab car. It was from the new order put in to have enhanced safety after an earlier crash. It looks to have done it's job.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #1547
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
It looks to have done it's job.
Is that a joke? How does this incident give anyone confidence in safety at the railroad? Granted this was the result of a criminal trespass, and thankfully it looks like there were no passenger fatalities, but Metrolink seems to have a reputation for these types of incidents while other commuter railroads do not (except Metro North lately).

Is the lack of pax fatalities due to the safety of the fleet or the fact that this occurred early in the run instead of later (e.g., Chatsworth), when the train would have had more folks on board?
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:04 PM   #1548
lkstrknb
Chicago Luke

Likes (Received): 804

The solution seems obvious but very pricey.

Grade separation
Grade separation
Grade separation

I don't have any numbers, but it seems 90% of the passenger train derailments and crashes in recent years were due to cars and trucks getting hit by trains at grade crossings. I think transit systems should look carefully at their grade crossings and try to eliminate them with bridges.

I've seen numerous reports of transit systems upgrading their grade crossings, but grade separation is the way to go.
lkstrknb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #1549
00Zy99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
Is that a joke?
No. I can tell at a glance that the new rolling stock has maintained structural integrity to a significant degree. That was its job in the event of a collision, and it has done its job.

Quote:
How does this incident give anyone confidence in safety at the railroad?
Because the railroad is clearly not to blame for the criminal trespass of other parties and because its equipment was adequate to avoid fatalities even in these circumstances.

Quote:
Granted this was the result of a criminal trespass, and thankfully it looks like there were no passenger fatalities, but Metrolink seems to have a reputation for these types of incidents while other commuter railroads do not (except Metro North lately).
Sadly, one of the likely reasons for this is that the railroads in Los Angeles are not embedded into the collective consciousness of the community to a significant degree. Boston, Philadelphia, and Chicago all have massive commuter rail systems with numerous grade crossings. However, these systems have been operating at high frequency for a century now. The local residents are accustomed to the need to be vigilant at railroad crossings. Sadly, Metrolink is relatively new, and the local community has not yet acclimated to its presence-the system has only recently begun to operate at a degree of frequency comparable to Boston or Philadelphia. As time passes, and Metrolink's presence in the community expands, these types of accidents will decrease.

Quote:
Is the lack of pax fatalities due to the safety of the fleet or the fact that this occurred early in the run instead of later (e.g., Chatsworth), when the train would have had more folks on board?
I'll go with the former, although the latter probably did help as well.

You are becoming increasingly cynical lately, Mr./Ms. Woonsocket, and it is becoming somewhat distressful. There is no reason to assume that Metrolink is doomed to a bloody collapse in the future, which is what you seem to be implying to me. That cigar-smocking image does not help you come across as an intelligent and reasonable figure-the An-225 was more intellectual, in my personal opinion.
Old February 24th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #1550
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
There is no reason to assume that Metrolink is doomed to a bloody collapse in the future, which is what you seem to be implying to me.
I don't think Metrolink is doomed to a bloody collapse. It has had more than its share of bloody incidents, but I never implied this is indicative of its future. Your interpretation of my words is just that.

Now, as for the incident, I noticed the track got bent out of shape, but interestingly not at the point of impact. I wonder how that happened.

http://polit.ru/news/2015/02/24/derailment/

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old February 24th, 2015, 08:22 PM   #1551
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21245

Could someone pinpoint the location of the crash on Google Street View?
Old February 24th, 2015, 08:23 PM   #1552
Maadeuurija

Likes (Received): 532

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstrknb View Post
The solution seems obvious but very pricey.

Grade separation
Grade separation
Grade separation

I don't have any numbers, but it seems 90% of the passenger train derailments and crashes in recent years were due to cars and trucks getting hit by trains at grade crossings. I think transit systems should look carefully at their grade crossings and try to eliminate them with bridges.

I've seen numerous reports of transit systems upgrading their grade crossings, but grade separation is the way to go.
In USA the easier solution would be better planning in order to eliminate stupid places where a truck behind a red light can block the railway...
Maadeuurija no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2015, 09:40 PM   #1553
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Could someone pinpoint the location of the crash on Google Street View?
5th/Rice Ave
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1970...data=!3m1!1e3?
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #1554
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Looks like this was classified as a hit-and-run

Quote:
OXNARD, Calif. (KABC) -- A 54-year-old truck driver from Arizona was arrested for felony hit-and-run after a Metrolink train headed toward Los Angeles struck a large pickup truck, which was hauling a trailer, on the tracks in Oxnard. No fatalities were reported, Oxnard police said.

Ventura County Line Train 102 crashed at about 5:40 a.m. near 5th Street and Rice Avenue. The vehicle caught fire after the crash.

The driver managed to flee the scene, Oxnard fire officials said. An officer spotted a man walking on Rice Avenue about a mile south of the accident and determined that he was the driver. He was identified as 54-year-old Jose Alejandro Sanchez Ramirez.
http://abc7.com/news/metrolink-train...nd-run/532179/

I would be interested in knowing what the actual indictment says and how it fits within the prongs of this particular charge (whether hit-and-run means the same as "get hit while trespassing and run away").
Old February 25th, 2015, 04:14 AM   #1555
00Zy99

And there you go.

The officials are quoted as citing the improved safety systems for helping to contribute to the no-fatality achievement.
Old February 25th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #1556
ssiguy2

Likes (Received): 858

Still, according to this map Oxnard is a long way out of L.A.. Grade crossings are always better but it's better to start in the city and work your way out.
ssiguy2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2015, 02:58 AM   #1557
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I would be interested in knowing what the actual indictment says and how it fits within the prongs of this particular charge (whether hit-and-run means the same as "get hit while trespassing and run away").
Actually, the latest news is that the truck traveled 80 feet down the track in a westbound direction before colliding with the eastbound train. Not clear yet if the truck was moving at the time of the collision. Train was traveling below 79mph. Forward-facing video in lead cab recorded video of incident and will be examined by NTSB. This happened in the dark of night; NTSB is investigating whether grade crossing was properly illuminated.

https://twitter.com/laura_nelson/sta...43508006408192
Old February 26th, 2015, 11:09 PM   #1558
zaphod
PRESIDENT OF SPACE

Likes (Received): 1677

Its easy to make the assumption that there is something inherently dangerous about Metrolink but really each of the accidents was different

The Placentia wreck was the fault of a freight train operator who didn't work for Metrolink passing a red signal and getting on the same track as a Metrolink train that had the right of way and couldn't stop in time. The Chatsworth accident was the reverse where a Metrolink operator screwed up and ran a red signal and got hit by a freight train.

Both of these accidents are unlikely to happen in the future because they motivated investment in positive train control systems.

The Glendale accident was botched murder-suicide. A guy parked his car on the tracks so he could kill himself when the train hit it. But he chickened out and left the vehicle. Stuff like that is just going to happen. This wreck might be like Glendale but unintentional.

What I see is here are things that could happen on any commuter railroad. Metrolink is just pretty large in terms of mileage and doesn't have as much of its own infrastructure. There are more opportunities for accidents but its not like they should be seen as especially more dangerous.

I would gladly get on a Metrolink train tommorow. I doubt anything would happen.

And the fact that the new cab cars, as ugly and heavy as they are, did do their job and keep the train intact, is a good thing.

After I'm gone, your earth will be free to live out its miserable span of existence, as one of my satellites, and that's how it's going to be...

Bring me the continuum transfunctioner...

redspork02 liked this post
zaphod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2015, 07:40 PM   #1559
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

The Metrolink engineer involved in the Oxnard accident has died.

http://www.vcstar.com/homepage-showc...-dies_42180134

dimlys1994, redspork02 liked this post
Old March 8th, 2015, 11:41 AM   #1560
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

How unfortunate. How sad.

Here's a Expo Line update dated March 7th. By Edgar Burcksen.

http://www.ipernity.com/home/expo-line

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles