daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 14th, 2007, 04:02 AM   #161
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

it will prolly die in the senate transportation comitte, as most transportation bills do.
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2007, 06:00 AM   #162
zergcerebrates

Likes (Received): 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsongs View Post
No rail system in the world has been profitable.

You're mistaken. Hong Kong's metro besides being one of the best in the world also happens to be the most profitable. Metros in Singapore, Korea and Japan are also profitable.
zergcerebrates no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM   #163
ignoramus

Likes (Received): 4

Yeah. I think Hong Kong's rail infrasturcture (rail, stations) are half subsidised by the govt while the operating costs are paid for by rail revenue, which is derived from ticket sales, advertising, rental of shop space and property development.

Singapore's rail infrastructure is funded by the govt entirely, and operating costs are paid for by rail revenue from ticket sales, rental of shop space and advertising.

Both are profitable. Of course, population density along the lines helped keep ridership at a high level, and the high costs of owning cars and the lack of a need for cars in these relatively small cities.
ignoramus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #164
volsung

Likes (Received): 0

how likely is it that the Orange Line will ever be converted to light rail?
volsung no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2007, 04:39 PM   #165
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Likes (Received): 38

It will have to be converted eventually. But I think it's safe to say that it will stay a busway for at least 10 years. Right now, Metro is trying to expand, not improve existing lines.

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
phattonez no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2007, 02:10 AM   #166
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
I think the trains are fine now. We can save smaller tunnels for LRV.

Why is there any expectation that LRVs could have smaller tunnels? The roof height for LRVs is similar to heavy rail subway trains; however, additional clearance is required for the pantograph and overhead wire. LRVs actually require larger tunnels than heavy rail subway trains:

London-Croydon Light Rail Vehicle (Bombardier) - Roof height excluding pantograph is 3.6 m.

Toronto Subway Car (Bombardier) - Roof height is 3.658 m.
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #167
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

How come I always see police on the trains but they never check to see if I paid a fare?

"A wicked man puts up a bold front, but an upright man gives thought to his ways." - Proverbs 21: 29
Old June 6th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #168
dl3000

Likes (Received): 10

Why dont they have turnstiles instead of the honor system?
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM   #169
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl3000 View Post
Why dont they have turnstiles instead of the honor system?
The subway was supposed to have turnstiles, but the light rail line (Blue Line) opened first, and employed an honor-system fare like every light rail system, so when the subway (Red Line) opened nearly 3 years later, they adopted the same fare structure and ticket method, i.e. the honor system...especially since the Red and Blue lines share one common transfer station, and having turnstiles on one and not on the other would be confusing.

Basically, the majority of Los Angeles' rail lines are LRT, and since it's impractical to put turnstiles on LRT (I can't think of any conventional light rail system out there that is totally within turnstiles), they made the subway follow suit.
Old June 6th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #170
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesMetroBoy View Post
so ive wondered why they dont elevate the red line to sylmar. Build a huge multi-level parking structure by the 210/5/14 interchange and have a dedicated offramp. Seriously, i think that would get more people riding the metro if we showed we want people to.
They should just extend the thing to Santa Clarita while they're at it...
Old June 7th, 2007, 04:08 AM   #171
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

So I was looking at something the other day that makes the Orange Line and Gold Line look very bad. Looking at the ridership on rapid lines, Wilshire ave. gets more than 45,000 per day and Vermont ave. got something around 25,000 per day. Do you need any more evidence than that to see that we need subways on those routes?

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:00 AM   #172
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Here's an update for everyone. Studies are being started on a Crenshaw route, the downtown connector, and a route for Wilshire Blvd. Metro is investigating HOT lanes, distance based fares, and fare gates. A lot is going on right now, and I didn't even mention that the Gold Line extension is getting closer and Expo Line is getting to a heavy construction phase.

Old July 9th, 2007, 07:16 AM   #173
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

What's the proposed Crenshaw route?
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #174
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Here's a link from Metro about it.
http://www.metro.net/board/Agendas/2...419SupACom.pdf

And discussion on the line.
http://transittalk.proboards37.com/i...1230066&page=1

Old September 14th, 2007, 08:21 PM   #175
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Now the US Senate has lifted the ban against tunneling under Wilshire. Now we just need Bush to approve it.

Old September 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM   #176
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

I hate to put a damper on the optimism here, but it's worth noting that since mass transit funding was totally screwed in the most recent budget to come out of Sacramento, I doubt that many more metro expansions will be approved in Los Angeles in the near future. Furthermore, after the scandal surrounding Mayor Villaraigosa's affair, he doesn't have as much political capital to push the subway.

Still, I think the MTA does have the funding to finish the Gold Line Eastside Expansion and the Expo Line Phase I on schedule, and with the repeal of the ban on federal tunneling funds along Wilshire, maybe things are looking up. No sense being negative, I guess!

Personally, I hope that the Wilshire subway is the next big project, bringing the Purple Line all the way to Santa Monica (my dream: stops at Crenshaw, La Brea, Fairfax/Museum Row, La Cienega or San Vicente, Doheny, Rodeo, Century City, Westwood/Santa Monica, Westwood/Wilshire, Barrington, Bundy, Yale, 20th, 12th, 3rd St. Promenade, Santa Monica Pier). I'll admit to some bias in this, since my family lives in Santa Monica, but having fought Wilshire traffic to get east (and back west) numerous times, I will claim that I think it's probably the most needed stretch of subway.
Also, I'm confused by all the references to a Sunset Line on this board. Where on Sunset? In Hollywood it seems superfluous given the existing Red Line service (one block away on Hollywood Blvd.) and the DASH buses; in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills, though the Sunset Strip would be a draw, I think it wouldn't be as helpful as a (hypothetical) line along Santa Monica Blvd., and this stretch of Sunset is too short to support a line on its own in any case; and west of Beverly Hills, in Brentwood and the Palisades, Sunset is too windy and narrow to really support any kind of rail. So... huh?
Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 03:09 AM   #177
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

The Sunset Line is a term that I coined a few months ago for the Silver Line that would run through Echo Park and Silver Lake up to Hollywood. I had envisioned it to go under Santa Monica Blvd. and then continue west from there with a spur up Sunset Blvd. to connect to Hollywood Blvd. for those going east. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's mainly my Santa Monica Blvd. idea.

Old September 16th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #178
Robert Stark
BANNED

Likes (Received): 5

The Sunset Line was my idea. the only concern I had was how to have it serve both the Grove and the Sunset Strip.
Robert Stark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #179
phattonez
Bleed Dodger Blue

Then why don't I remember you ever posting anything about it?

Old September 16th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #180
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattonez View Post
Now the US Senate has lifted the ban against tunneling under Wilshire. Now we just need Bush to approve it.
We also need to finish conducting the feasibility study.

Tags
los angeles