daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2015, 05:52 AM   #1781
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrwulfe View Post
So are they turning the Forum into a football stadium?

(I lived near Centinela Park in Inglewood as a teenager)
No. The new football stadium would be built just south of the Forum between Pincay and Century.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 16th, 2015, 05:55 AM   #1782
2Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
Don't be rude. It's likely that quite a few people will use mass transit to get to the Super Bowl.
I'd say that given the distance to the closest station (well over a mile, maybe closer to two miles) relatively few will take the train unless they have a shuttle like they do for dodger games.
Old August 16th, 2015, 06:27 AM   #1783
pesto

Likes (Received): 3099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woonsocket54 View Post
I imagine the same number of people will take the Metro rail to the Inglewood Super Bowl as the number of people that took the Metro rail to the 1984 Olympics.
Clueless.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 06:35 AM   #1784
pesto

Likes (Received): 3099

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I'd say that given the distance to the closest station (well over a mile, maybe closer to two miles) relatively few will take the train unless they have a shuttle like they do for dodger games.
First of all, Mayor Butts is on the board of MTA and has already raised the idea of a rail spur with turnaround from the La Brea stop to the front door of the stadium and related Super Bowl functions. Useful for the Forum and other huge events at Inglewood as well.

Second, there are two stations a mile or less (using side streets). This is easily walkable (49er fans pay $20 to walk further than that and free parking is further and draws many carrying gear and all).

In any event, shuttles will obviously be provided.

Last edited by pesto; August 16th, 2015 at 06:46 AM.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:02 AM   #1785
2Easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
First of all, Mayor Butts is on the board of MTA and has already raised the idea of a rail spur with turnaround from the La Brea stop to the front door of the stadium and related Super Bowl functions. Useful for the Forum and other huge events at Inglewood as well.
As I'm sure you realize, the gap between an idea being raised and a spur being built is tremendous. Where would this even be built? Down Prairie? Might as well put it underground since we're just spitballing.

Quote:
Second, the distance is well under a mile, maybe 3/4 mile, which is easily walkable (49er fans pay $20 to walk twice that distance and free is further and draws many carrying gear and all).
I live in Inglewood and that's false. The stadium will be south of the forum. I'm not quite sure how far south because the roads haven't even been built yet, but with parking lots surrounding both stadiums I suspect that it's at least 1/2 mile. Google walking directions from Market/Florence to the Forum show 1.1 miles. Add 1/2 mile and you're at 1.6 miles each way.

Quote:
In any event, shuttles will obviously be provided.
Obvious to who? I've been to a meeting regarding the stadium (I live very close) and the people building the stadium and the Inglewood council person were perplexed by the question when I asked. But that was regarding regular games. Maybe the Super Bowl would be different.
Old August 16th, 2015, 07:45 AM   #1786
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

Has Mayor Butts discussed who will pay for this rail spur that is meant to connect to the stadium? (Probably the same taxpayers as the ones who will pay to build the stadium). LOL.

I can't imagine people in LA getting off their butts (no pun intended) and walking a mile from the metro to the stadium. They don't do it at Dodgers Stadium, and they won't do it in Inglewood.
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2015, 12:19 PM   #1787
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5972

Maybe it is off topic as it is the example of a "stadium station" from elsewhere but this is how a serious stadium station ist designed:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Bahn...eingang_02.jpg
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Bahn...2_Stadion6.JPG
http://www.zodl.co.at/typo3temp/pics/0d7d28c05a.jpg

The station has platforms with not two exits but half a dozen exists (every few meters). The extra exits are used one-way before and after stadium events. On top of that there are not two but three tracks, allowing for parallel unloading/loading of two trains in the same direction (the direction can be changed). And even more, there is a direct connector track right after the station to the subway depot which enables direct insertion or exit of trains.

I could not find numbers for its capacity. But it is safe to say that a very large share of stadium visitors arrive there by subway, in a stadium with 50,000 seats. This is somewhat smaller than the proposed Inglewood stadium if I got it right (80,000 seats) but still comparable.

We won't see something like that in LA for multiple reasons of course. To start with because a light rail could not support such a station with its capacity elsewhere and along the track and of course because it will be hard to attract enough people and get them out of their car.

Last edited by Slartibartfas; August 16th, 2015 at 01:00 PM.
Slartibartfas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 02:51 AM   #1788
Kenni
Admin

Here's the anticipated restructuring of Metro lines.

Old August 18th, 2015, 06:39 AM   #1789
raxa

Likes (Received): 27

^ sad theres no subway to the sea. This city has its priorities all wrong.
raxa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 07:10 PM   #1790
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by raxa View Post
^ sad theres no subway to the sea. This city has its priorities all wrong.
It's being extended, currently, 9 miles further down Wilshire, into Westwood.

Eventually, the next phase will take it the full length to Santa Monica, but I think the expedited time frame was predicated upon a county bond measure that, just barely,failed to pass, recently.

That would have sped up a lot of projects...
In any case, it sounds like they're going to introduce another measure, soon.

edit: or were you specifically talking about the actual time-frame of the extension?
Old August 18th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #1791
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

In the meantime, at least there is a light rail to the sea opening in a few months!

Since the Expo/Gold services roughly the same terminus as a Purple Line SM extension, I have to think that the "subway to the sea" is a low priority for Metro compared to a number or other rail projects. The Sepulveda/LAX corridor, Crenshaw Line to West Hollywood and Red Line Extension to Burbank Airport would all take precedence. You could even argue the Gold Line extension to Whitter/El Monte or a Sunset/SMB line are more important than Wilshire Blvd through Brentwood.

I have high hopes for the coming year, in terms of pushing the timelines ahead. The opening of the Expo through wealthy and influential westside neighborhoods should help give Metro a bunch of political capital (which is why they want this thing to get off without a hitch.) Meanwhile, if LA accepts the USOC 2024 Olympic bid, it'll give the city more incentive to jumpstart and accelerate numerous projects.

Which brings us to Measure R2, which is expected to get on the ballot in 2016, and could raise $120 Billion for Metro projects. The goodwill of a successful Expo Westside extension + the pressure to get the city prepped for a competitive Olympic bid should hopefully make up the difference between 66.5% and the 67% needed for the Measure to pass.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2015, 10:04 PM   #1792
Slartibartfas

True, the light rail to the sea is something I would have loved to take already during my last visit a a few years ago. Certainly for locals as well, but for a tourist a light rail is so much nicer to take than a highway.

Nonetheless the corridor via Beverly Hills is a gaping hole in the PT network of Los Angeles. And it is such an important, central, and relatively densely populated corridor. Not having that covered by some high priority system substantially reduces the usefulness of the entire network.
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:10 AM   #1793
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
I imagine the same number of people will take the Metro rail to the Inglewood Super Bowl as the number of people that took the Metro rail to the 1984 Olympics.
well, about 8000 - 10,000 people take the train to every USC game so i dont think youre right at all, but it was a good try
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #1794
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 860

Quote:
Has Mayor Butts discussed who will pay for this rail spur that is meant to connect to the stadium? (Probably the same taxpayers as the ones who will pay to build the stadium). LOL.

I can't imagine people in LA getting off their butts (no pun intended) and walking a mile from the metro to the stadium. They don't do it at Dodgers Stadium, and they won't do it in Inglewood.
You do realize that dodger stadium is up on a hill right? the elevation gain from the chinatown station to the stadium must be at least 500 - 1000 feet.

The Dodger stadium express bus from union station to the stadium draws 4000 - 6000 fans every game. Thousands of fans use rail to get to Kings, Lakers and Clippers games at Staples. Im not sure why you think LA fans are any different than other cities when it comes to rail.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 07:54 AM   #1795
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17044

Metro: Transforming LA

Visit the New Jersey Section

mrsmartman, jchernin, mw123 liked this post
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 08:21 AM   #1796
Brystar27

Likes (Received): 18

I am currently in Los Angeles for vacations and i really like the Public transit network yall have here its brilliant but yeah i kinda wish the Expo line to santa monica opened sooner because the last time i was here last year i had to take the expo line to culver city then take the bus to the beach.

I hope they jumpstart alot of the projects they want to do, i am currently staying in a motel in inglewood and i saw the century aviation station being built on Century Blvd

Do the people in Los Angeles likes the LA Metro here? or they don't like it?
Brystar27 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:59 AM   #1797
starrwulfe
ご乗車頂いてありがとうございます。

Likes (Received): 469

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00z99y
You were sticking out your tounge mocking me.
Sorry... I meant it to mean "LOL, I can see his point" at the joke and nothing more.

When I'm being rude on purpose, mere emoji wouldn't be enough. 😉

Besides, I'm on your side of the argument here; I think more Angelinos will figure out a transit solution to get to the Inglewood Stadium. I lived in the area when the Lakers played at The Forum and Prairie, Manchester and Florence was a nightmare during game days. I know how bad it can get!

Last edited by starrwulfe; August 19th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
starrwulfe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 02:59 PM   #1798
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slartibartfas View Post
...Nonetheless the corridor via Beverly Hills is a gaping hole in the PT network of Los Angeles. And it is such an important, central, and relatively densely populated corridor. Not having that covered by some high priority system substantially reduces the usefulness of the entire network.
Exactly! For me, this is the most important part of the system, as it could have quite an effect on the travel patterns for the thousands of people who live/work along that corridor.

Towersla liked this post
phoenixboi08 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 05:05 PM   #1799
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brystar27 View Post

Do the people in Los Angeles likes the LA Metro here? or they don't like it?
Most of them don't even know about it

CNB30, Nouvellecosse liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #1800
Slartibartfas

There is clearly an ethnic devide isn't there? I have never seen such a stigmatization of public transport as in LA. Well, the rail based modes ared not as bad but as soon as it has rubber tires its like a Grey Hound. Only poor minorities and European tourists seem to be riding it ...

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some people out there living in LA and being surprised that there is somthing like a Metro network ...

Tags
los angeles