daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 30th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #1841
humdoodee

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I think you're discussing two different things. The Crenshaw line cannot interline with the purple line due to the differences in technology but there's no technological reason that they couldn't share a station and "connect".

It's almost impossible to believe that they wouldn't connect at some point and I don't believe what LA County Metro posted or maybe he/she meant that they won't interline. The map posted from LA Metro shows connections to the purple line. Metro isn't the most competent agency but they aren't completely incompetent either.
Of course they can't interline. The lines go in different directions, and having the creshaw make an unnecessary turn just so they can share a platform makes no no sense what so ever. It also defeats the purpose of having the Crenshaw go North-South. Besides being technologically impossible, it would also be simply illogical.

Swede liked this post
humdoodee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 1st, 2015, 11:35 PM   #1842
LA County Metro

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amexpat View Post
Any particular reason for that? It seems that it would make sense to connect a Crenshaw line extension with the purple line.
money is the reason. its cheaper to build without it.
LA County Metro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:43 AM   #1843
humdoodee

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA County Metro View Post
What about with the measure R2 funds?
humdoodee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2015, 06:02 AM   #1844
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA County Metro View Post
I am sorry but what you have been saying makes no sense
Old September 2nd, 2015, 01:53 PM   #1845
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17034

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
I think were being trolled here , I knew it was too good to have someone on the inside.
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:29 PM   #1846
LA County Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighomey3000 View Post
What doesn't make sense??????
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:38 PM   #1847
LA County Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
I think were being trolled here , I knew it was too good to have someone on the inside.
No your not being trolled. Metro eliminated the Crenshaw station as well as the connector part of the purple line to bring the cost down. There are no Measure r2 funds yet it hasn't even been approved yet. Measure r2 will be on the ballot to be voted on in 2016. If it passes which I'm sure it will then maybe things will change once capital improves but as of right now it is what it is.
Old September 4th, 2015, 06:43 PM   #1848
pesto

Likes (Received): 3092

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
Different technologies maybe? The Crenshaw line is light rail and the purple heavy rail.
At the intersection of Purple, Expo will be underground, so assume that underground connections could be made between them?. But I'm not sure if this is planned or not.

The more interesting intersection is Crenshaw and Expo, which are same technology but do not connect (in the interline sense, that is, no Crenshaw trains will head toward DT on the Expo Line). Apparently this can't be done because of an inability to handle more trains on the Expo Line DT.

Last edited by pesto; September 4th, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2015, 11:15 AM   #1849
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Metrolink examining safety of state-of-the-art rail cars in wake of Oxnard crash

By Dan Weikel

The evaluation marks a setback in the regional passenger railroad's campaign to employ advanced safety technology to help rebuild public confidence after a 2008 head-on collision in Chatsworth killed 28 and injured 135.

On Thursday, railroad officials announced that they will restrict the use of 57 of the new passenger cars that have control cabs for engineers and operate at the front of trains when they are being pushed from behind by locomotives.

The use of such “cab cars” is common practice among the nation's commuter railroads when trains reverse direction at the end of a line.
Read More at : http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...903-story.html

So much for tank trains being safer then UIC trains....

dimlys1994 liked this post

Last edited by Nexis; September 5th, 2015 at 04:41 PM.
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:03 PM   #1850
Slartibartfas

Likes (Received): 5958

Reading the article and the comments it feels like people are blaming the cab design and are suggesting crazy things like using motor less locomotives instead of cabcars.

I wonder what stops the US from abolishing those nonsensical tank trains and joining the rest of the developed world when it comes to train design.
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:05 PM   #1851
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

The same reason why more people buy SUVs in the U.S. Because they look safer. Doesn't mean they are

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

fskobic liked this post
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:21 PM   #1852
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Dude View Post
The same reason why more people buy SUVs in the U.S. Because they look safer. Doesn't mean they are
American Logic , Bigger is safer....im beginning to think that also includes waistlines....
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:22 PM   #1853
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

Hey more cushion for the pushin'

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Nexis liked this post
Tower Dude está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:47 AM   #1854
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Eyeing L.A.'s Olympic bid, Metro seeks to accelerate two rail projects

Citing L.A.'s quest to host the 2024 Summer Olympics, Los Angeles County transportation officials are seeking to fast-track two of Metro's most anticipated rail projects.

In letters sent Tuesday and obtained by The Times, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority formally asked to join a Federal Transit Administration pilot program that could accelerate construction on a subway to the Westside and a rail connection to Los Angeles International Airport.

With federal approval, Metro would follow an "extremely aggressive" schedule to finish the Purple Line subway extension and the LAX train station and people-mover by 2024, Metro Chief Executive Phillip Washington wrote.

See more: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...&dlvrit=649324
Old September 10th, 2015, 05:51 AM   #1855
Dale

Likes (Received): 5511

Quote:
American Logic , Bigger is safer....im beginning to think that also includes waistlines....
Bigger waistlines are safer too. We're living longer than ever.
Dale no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 05:41 PM   #1856
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2977

http://urbanize.la/post/metro-explor...nta-ana-branch

Metro introducing new potential routes for the West Santa Ana Branch, most of which would have near complete grade separation through DTLA.

Based on the criteria set forth in the document, the winner in terms of cost, potential ridership and contribution to the overall network seems to be a straight shot down Alameda from Union Station on an aerial structure with stops at 1st and 7th Street.

After dipping to ground level to pass below to the 10 freeway, trains would run adjacent to the Blue Line ROW on another elevated viaduct with stations at Washington, Vernon and Slauson before veering east and then south.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 07:54 PM   #1857
Nexis
Dark Wolf

I think it should be a light rail , the density isn't high enough for Heavy Rail. They do need more Heavy Rail routes in LA but they should put them in areas like West Hollywood , Echo Park...
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:02 PM   #1858
phoenixboi08

Likes (Received): 798

Quote:
I think it should be a light rail , the density isn't high enough for Heavy Rail. They do need more Heavy Rail routes in LA but they should put them in areas like West Hollywood , Echo Park...
I think it is light rail. Or are there other alternatives being considered?

I'm curious what just what makes this alternative the most attractive...seems like some of the others (East/West Bank) might have big knock-on effects.

Though, I guess there must be a higher ridership potential from the Alameda Alignment? Cost undoubtedly is another issue.

I just hope they're not doing this simply because the Blue Line ROW is already there...
Old September 15th, 2015, 08:06 PM   #1859
pesto

Likes (Received): 3092

Just what is needed: 34 miles of wandering low-speed light-rail through low density areas that takes you to a node where you can switch to another train to take you somewhere you might actually want to go.

And at the same time you want the feds be give you money to build what is actually needed (Purple, 405, WeHo, etc.) but you don't feel like budgeting for for 30 years.
pesto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2015, 09:02 PM   #1860
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Maybe Bus Rapid Transit is worth a look for this corridor. It looks rather Industrial , so I doubt your going to squeeze out that much TOD.

Tags
los angeles