daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 15th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #1861
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

This is supposed to be the first leg of a corridor going down to Santa Ana and beyond. I'm sure that there's more traffic to be taken in further down.

Swede liked this post
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2015, 09:20 AM   #1862
Swede
forumer #29

Likes (Received): 1663

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Zy99 View Post
This is supposed to be the first leg of a corridor going down to Santa Ana and beyond. I'm sure that there's more traffic to be taken in further down.
Going all the way to the Santa Ana Metrolink station would make lots of sense network-wise. but what about extending it at the other end? I.e. past Union Station. Having the line continue to Dodger stadium, then via, say, Sunset towards East Hollywood and connecting to the Red line?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Ŝróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

redspork02 liked this post
Swede no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2015, 08:42 PM   #1863
Tower Dude

Likes (Received): 593

LOS ANGELES | Public Transport

That is possible but because it's a $40 billion/40 year deal they can only do so much with the money they have capital construction is a HUGE PIA because the upfront costs don't play well with voters son financing them is a pain. So what you are talking about may happen but not anytime soon.

"Make no small plans they lack the magic to stir men's blood!" - Daniel Burnham

"The scale is Roman and will have to be sustained."
- Charles Follen McKim (In a letter to a friend concerning the design of Penn Station)

Swede liked this post
Tower Dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:23 AM   #1864
redspork02

Likes (Received): 818

Disneyland?

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2015, 01:38 AM   #1865
Woonsocket54
PC LOAD LETTER

Likes (Received): 5754

Azusa stations to be inaugurated this weekend; still no revenue train service (March 2016 at the earliest)

https://www.facebook.com/iwillride

mrsmartman liked this post
Woonsocket54 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2015, 08:09 PM   #1866
JimmyHD

Likes (Received): 34

Why Glendale is always out of the game when it comes to the subway development or the rail modernization?

It's such a waste for the city itself.
JimmyHD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:08 AM   #1867
Kenni
Admin

Going to work yesterday traffic on the 105 was horrible, so I exited an exit before which is Aviation. Columns are up for the connecting portion of the Green line to the Crenshaw line.

MarshallKnight, Swede, redspork02 liked this post

Last edited by Kenni; September 19th, 2015 at 04:16 AM.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2015, 03:31 AM   #1868
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

I'm curious what the service pattern will ultimately be once the two lines are linked up and sharing that stretch along Aviation. It would obviously be awesome to have three lines:
  • The extant Green Line from Norwalk to Redondo
  • Crenshaw Line running from Crenshaw/Expo to Redondo
  • A third "L"-shaped line running from Norwalk to LAX then up to Crenshaw/Expo
But do the current corridors have the capacity to interline that way?
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:29 AM   #1869
bighomey3000

Likes (Received): 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesto View Post
Just what is needed: 34 miles of wandering low-speed light-rail through low density areas that takes you to a node where you can switch to another train to take you somewhere you might actually want to go.

And at the same time you want the feds be give you money to build what is actually needed (Purple, 405, WeHo, etc.) but you don't feel like budgeting for for 30 years.
Maywood is one of the densest cities in America, as are many of its neighbor quite dense and transit dependent. I agree a 405 parallel is far more important but this line is much more important than, say, a Gold Line extension
bighomey3000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2015, 05:03 PM   #1870
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

What's the status of the Crenshaw Purple Line station? I've heard that it's cancelled now. Seems like a dumb decision.

If it's off the books for now what's the possibility that a station shell could be constructed for future station provisions there?
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2015, 06:59 PM   #1871
LA County Metro

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
What's the status of the Crenshaw Purple Line station? I've heard that it's cancelled now. Seems like a dumb decision.

If it's off the books for now what's the possibility that a station shell could be constructed for future station provisions there?
yes the Crenshaw station was eliminated
LA County Metro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 01:15 AM   #1872
humdoodee

Likes (Received): 5

^will there at least be a Crenshaw station within semi walking distance from a Purple line station (like the North Hollywood station)? I can't see why they can't have that on the table until funds for a single station are secured.
humdoodee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2015, 02:09 PM   #1873
dimlys1994

Likes (Received): 26129

From Rail Journal:

Quote:
http://www.railjournal.com/index.php...ml?channel=526

LA Gold Line extension ready for commissioning
Thursday, September 24, 2015

CONSTRUCTION of the 18.5km light rail extension to Los Angeles' Gold Line from Sierra Madre Villa in Pasadena to Azusa has been completed and handed over to Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (LACMTA) for commissioning

The extension was built by Foothill Transit Constructors, a joint venture of Kiewit and Parsons, and the project was managed by Foothill Gold Line Construction Authority (FGLCA)

dimlys1994 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 03:46 AM   #1874
Kenni
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni View Post
Going to work yesterday traffic on the 105 was horrible, so I exited an exit before which is Aviation. Columns are up for the connecting portion of the Green line to the Crenshaw line.
This is where I saw the columns up...as you can see, when they built the infrastructure for the Green Line back in the mid 90's, they left those edges to shoot-off to the north in the future.

4d491cn
by Dennis Sosa-Julé, on Flickr
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:39 AM   #1875
LA County Metro

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by humdoodee View Post
^will there at least be a Crenshaw station within semi walking distance from a Purple line station (like the North Hollywood station)? I can't see why they can't have that on the table until funds for a single station are secured.
No. People will just have to get off at Western and the catch a bus to Crenshaw.
LA County Metro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 04:20 PM   #1876
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA County Metro View Post
No. People will just have to get off at Western and the catch a bus to Crenshaw.
I have to say I'm disappointed that Crenshaw didn't want the station. I'd thought that attitudes about the subway had changed since the 80s but it seems not. Their loss. In two or three decades future residents will probably wonder why the subway doesn't stop there.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 02:38 AM   #1877
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan78 View Post
I have to say I'm disappointed that Crenshaw didn't want the station. I'd thought that attitudes about the subway had changed since the 80s but it seems not. Their loss. In two or three decades future residents will probably wonder why the subway doesn't stop there.
Im pretty sure that Crenshaw residents wanted a station. Hancock Park probably didn't but it wasn't opposition that killed the station. It was metro that decided that it wasn't a significant trip generator.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #1878
pesto

Likes (Received): 3093

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Im pretty sure that Crenshaw residents wanted a station. Hancock Park probably didn't but it wasn't opposition that killed the station. It was metro that decided that it wasn't a significant trip generator.
Very low density, virtually no retail, office or public buildings and it's not that far between Western and La Brea in any event. Nor is there reason that they will ever need one since its nice sfh's on both sides of Wilshire in that area.

And additional stop would have just slowed down the train for everyone.
pesto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2015, 03:02 AM   #1879
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

You can see why on Google Earth: it gets awfully single-family-residential between Wilton and Highland.

Good news is, eventually Metro will extend the Crenshaw Line north from its current terminus to join the Purple Line... it will just, ironically enough, get there via anything but Crenshaw Blvd. (Although it might well be known as "The K" by then, at which point even the irony will go away)

Last edited by MarshallKnight; September 26th, 2015 at 03:46 AM.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2015, 02:50 PM   #1880
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 142

http://www.sbsun.com/general-news/20...r-to-shut-down

By Donna Littlejohn, San Bernardino County Sun
POSTED: 09/26/15, 9:34 PM PDT

Tears are sure to flow Sunday when the final blast of the Red Car’s E-flat horn sounds off on its final historic runs along the San Pedro waterfront.

A last-minute appeal by county officials and the area’s congresswoman to save at least part of the Harbor Boulevard line was made late this week, bringing a glimmer of hope that a reprieve yet could be in the works.

But it’s only a glimmer.

The Port of Los Angeles is suspending the 1.5-mile line that has run along Harbor Boulevard on weekends for 12 years to make way for future waterfront improvements.

Even if an electric trolley line returns in the future, the boxy, high-riding vintage Red Cars probably won’t be used due to numerous safety and regulatory restrictions and costs associated with running them.

dimlys1994 liked this post
greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles