daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 15th, 2015, 11:04 AM   #1921
humdoodee

Likes (Received): 5

Move LA Straw Man (final recommendations to Metro) includes Vermont BRT: Straw Man #50

ElOhEl liked this post

Last edited by humdoodee; October 15th, 2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Link fix
humdoodee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 22nd, 2015, 11:19 PM   #1922
Kenni
Admin

GOLD LINE FOOTHILL EXTENSION

Photos: Metro

New Metro Rail Yard in Monrovia.

Irwindale Station.

Azusa Station.

Arcadia Station.

Last edited by Kenni; October 27th, 2015 at 12:44 AM.
Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:27 AM   #1923
00Zy99

Likes (Received): 1507

Oh, yeah.

This is a thing.

I completely forgot about it.
00Zy99 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 05:57 AM   #1924
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

I like the stylized concrete freeway pillars... Whats the projected ridership of this extension?
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 07:58 AM   #1925
jchernin

Likes (Received): 536

13,500 per day next year
jchernin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 09:05 AM   #1926
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Abit low for 11 miles in Urbanized LA? I don't think you could squeeze out anymore ridership if you extend eastward.
Old October 23rd, 2015, 01:00 PM   #1927
Falubaz

Likes (Received): 2940

There is too little stations on that line.

₪₪₪Zielona Góra moim okiem₪₪₪ Zielonogórskie autobusy₪₪₪Port Lotniczy ZIElona Góra₪₪₪ BRT₪₪₪ścieżki rowerowe w ZG
₪₪₪[Świat] „Przebłyski pamięci”₪₪₪Moja Ameryka - nie tylko Stany
Falubaz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 04:44 PM   #1928
Amexpat

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
Abit low for 11 miles in Urbanized LA? I don't think you could squeeze out anymore ridership if you extend eastward.
There's been some plans to extend towards Ontario airport. But there are funding and jurisdictional issues.
Amexpat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2015, 06:27 PM   #1929
[atomic]

Likes (Received): 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amexpat View Post
There's been some plans to extend towards Ontario airport. But there are funding and jurisdictional issues.
the line is about 40 km as it is right now. extending it would add another 30.
70 km is quite a lot for what is essentially a tram. But it would beat that one Line in Belgium and make it the worlds longest

Klausenburg, Kenni liked this post
[atomic] no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 03:07 AM   #1930
Kenni
Admin

METRO Gold Line Foothill Extension

When this portion becomes the Blue Line, this will be a VERY long line.

jchernin, Nexis, dimlys1994, mrsmartman liked this post
Old October 24th, 2015, 03:11 AM   #1931
Kenni
Admin

Appeals court upholds Final Environmental Impact Report for subway extension

ARTICLE
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:05 AM   #1932
sdery

Likes (Received): 54

I count 24 stops from Union Station to Montclair, that's not counting a few more intermediary stations until you reach ONT airport...that would be a long ride from downtown to the airport.
sdery no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:00 AM   #1933
Nexis
Dark Wolf

How long a journey would that be? 2-3hrs?
Old October 24th, 2015, 05:58 PM   #1934
Dan78

Likes (Received): 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis View Post
How long a journey would that be? 2-3hrs?
I have to wonder about the wisdom of some of these mode choices that LA is making. Some of these distances would be better suited to commuter rail (or something like France's RER or Germany's S-Bahn) than light rail. I don't see the practicality of one single train running the entire length of the line in the future from Montclair to Long Beach. For one thing, it will likely shatter the record for the longest light rail line in the world—and create major operational challenge to keep the train on time.
Dan78 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 06:45 PM   #1935
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1036

The only thing I could possibly see that doing is enabling flights into the Ontario airport instead of LAX, but if it really took 2-3 hours to travel end to end, there'd have to be a big price difference, ticket-wise, to incentivize people to do so.

Seems like a long-shot. A commuter rail would make a lot more sense, for sure.
aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #1936
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Quote:
How Safety Rules and Enviro Regs Work to the Detriment of American Rail
Friday, October 16, 2015
by Angie Schmitt

Not only do we have safety rules that are no good for safety, we also have environmental rules that are no good for the environment. In a post at Itinerant Urbanist, Sandy Johnston looks at a passenger rail project in southern California, linking San Bernardino to Redlands, as a case study in the unintended consequences of these regulations

[.....]

The project isn’t in and of itself a particularly bad one; it’s pretty low-key, in an existing right-of-way with few obstacles, and serves an area that could generate OK ridership. Though the new line will connect to Metrolink service at San Bernardino, planners are currently leaning towards running it with Diesel Multiple Unit (DMU) trains, such as those used by NICTD’s Sprinter service between Oceanside and Escondido. That’s probably the right choice; planned frequencies (30 minutes at peak) don’t justify electrification, and a pure extension of Metrolink service couldn’t offer the desired level of service.
Read the Full Article here

dimlys1994 liked this post
Old October 24th, 2015, 08:33 PM   #1937
Amexpat

Likes (Received): 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
The only thing I could possibly see that doing is enabling flights into the Ontario airport instead of LAX, but if it really took 2-3 hours to travel end to end, there'd have to be a big price difference, ticket-wise, to incentivize people to do so.Seems like a long-shot. A commuter rail would make a lot more sense, for sure.
Regular rail would make more sense to LAX as well. The light rail being built has about 18 stations from Union station to LAX and people will have to switch lines and take a people mover to get to their terminal.

Light rail may make sense as a commute for the many people working at the airport or for those living reasonably close by, but trains are needed for those living further afield.

About Ontario airport, it would make a good alternative to LAX, especially for flights heading east. But I think LAX has some sort of control over what's being done at Ontario and they have no interest in competition.
Amexpat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #1938
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3597

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amexpat View Post
Regular rail would make more sense to LAX as well. The light rail being built has about 18 stations from Union station to LAX and people will have to switch lines and take a people mover to get to their terminal.

Light rail may make sense as a commute for the many people working at the airport or for those living reasonably close by, but trains are needed for those living further afield.
I'm curious, when you say regular rail, do you mean a commuter trail or HRT?

I see a couple issues with a commuter train: primarily the limited number of services. When you've got people coming in a constant stream from a busy airport, it seems to me you'd rather have frequent services that can cary a moderate number of passengers vs. less frequent services carrying many more.

HRT is an intriguing middle ground, but the main arguments against it are 1) the natural ROW between LAX and DTLA (the tracks along Florence and Slauson) are already partially occupied by the Crenshaw Line, so an incompatible HRT line would mean building a redundant second guideway, and 2) there are only a couple potential stops along that route (a transfer to Crenshaw, maybe Western, Vermont/110, Blue Line) which is good if all you want is an express train, but an HRT running that distance will be very expensive, so I'm not sure it's the best cost-benefit. I'd be curious to see the studies though.

I think our best option is LRT along the Slauson ROW, sharing the Inglewood-LAX leg with the Crenshaw Line, but with an express service skipping most of the Crenshaw stops. That gives some added service flexibility. And if it's completely grade separated, an LRT should be able to do 60-65 mph, which I believe is plenty fast (especially along Slauson, which is a much more direct route than Crenshaw/Expo) given the cost savings.
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2015, 09:16 PM   #1939
2Easy

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchernin View Post
Well, isn't Wilshire getting both BRT and subway? Could Vermont do the same?
I'd really like for Vermont to get a subway, but the reality is that's not likely at this point. The primary stumbling block is that federal funds for transit projects, which are essential for projects of this size, are based not on ridership but rather on how many people it would get out of their cars and onto transit. Since the people on Vermont already ride transit,the bus, these numbers won't be as high as lines projected with lower ridership but that hit more destinations and employment centers.

Plus LACMTA is a county agency. If lines were built where they were most needed most of the county would be left out. They have to spread the love around.
2Easy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2015, 12:20 AM   #1940
Sunfuns

Likes (Received): 361

Suburban rail doesn't have to be low frequency. I know quite a few places with service every 15 min. Whether that would be possible from LAX is of course an entirely different question.

Slartibartfas, Swede liked this post
Sunfuns no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles