daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM   #41
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

Thanks Retro. You have done an amazing job keeping us updated on this project.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2007, 04:05 AM   #42
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

June 8, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:39 AM   #43
Retrograde
Chicago

July 3, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:17 PM   #44
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Has anyone seen a west side elevation of this? I notice that the southwest and nortwest corners come to 90 degrees points and are not angled like on the east side of the building. The DesPlaines facing west side is going to look a lot different from the east face that is in all the renderings I've seen.
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM   #45
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

I'm certain it will look as good as the other P/H winners like the neighboring residential tower at K Station, that project called "Vision on State", 530 Lake Shore Drive, the concrete Museum Park buildings and 1250 S. Michigan to name a few.

It's truly a miracle that 600 Lakeshore Drive and One Museum Park came out of that same place.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 05:53 AM   #46
Chiman

I would love to know what goes on in that firm. It's hard to take them seriously when they turn out buildings like Vision on State, and now the hulking Walton on the Park (just my opinion, of course).

But I really like 600 North Lakeshore and I think they did a thoughtful and respectful job turning Minoru Yamasaki's Montgomery Wards Building into condos.

Anyway, looks like they're giving Allure a front side facing the city and a back side facing DesPlaines -- I would have thought a more symmetrical tower would have fit the site better.
Old July 6th, 2007, 08:17 AM   #47
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

I disagree. The chamfered corners reduce the tower's visual bulk from the park and from the city, and the lack of chamfered corners gives a longer wall facing Desplaines, reducing the feeling of being on an overpass.

The plans for the park have been posted, but I couldn't decipher them because they were too small to read. I'd like to see how the park designers are handling the slopes of the ramps on Kinzie and Desplaines.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM   #48
Hecago

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
A 40-story disgusting piece of shit. I get a headache just looking at it. I can't believe this monstrosity is being built in 2007!
Hecago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:55 PM   #49
Chitowner245

^ It looks like a penny squeezer to me; I'm surprised the Tribune company isn't developing this.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:31 AM   #50
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

It's quite possible it will look much better than the rendering, which I suspect will be the case.
Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #51
nomarandlee
My Mind Has Left My Body

Likes (Received): 2761

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi649 View Post
It's quite possible it will look much better than the rendering, which I suspect will be the case.
Much maybe too strong for me but that is what I am laying my hat on. It may be more wishful but it really is hard to imagine something uglier then the render.
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:27 AM   #52
Helmet Yawn

I wouldn't hold my breath guys....the same developer did that ugly diagonal white tower called 'Left Bank at K-Station'.
Old July 8th, 2007, 08:40 PM   #53
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

True... but they also did Vision on State, whose look improved quite a bit once the concrete was painted and the windows installed. Allure looks to be a taller, thinner version of Vision, so far.
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #54
Chiman

You have to admit it’s not an easy lot to build on. Railroad tracks to the south and elevated DesPlaines to the west (don’t know what’s underneath – it looks scary). The park to be built to the north may help, but the god-awful parking structure extends to the east -- where's the front door?

Here's a view from the DesPlaines side. (Notice the squared-off corners -- unlike the east face.)

image hosted on flickr
Old July 9th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #55
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Look at how the squared-off corners help to form a canyon over the railroad tracks, along with the other P/H building next to it. I like that effect.... it really gives an urban, gritty entrance to the passengers entering Union Station via Metra or Amtrak: entering through the valley of shadows.

The Jewel will cover the tracks, and so will 200 Riverside Plaza. Once the further phases of K Station are built-out on the parking lots to the east, the entry via rail from the north or west will be pretty cool... almost as good as entering NYC via the East River Tunnels, except Union Station is WAY better than Penn.
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:58 AM   #56
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
True... but they also did Vision on State, whose look improved quite a bit once the concrete was painted and the windows installed. Allure looks to be a taller, thinner version of Vision, so far.
Wow. Really? NoVision on State pleases you? I think it's possibly the biggest piece of shit put up in this city in the past decade.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:08 AM   #57
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff_diamond View Post
I think it's possibly the biggest piece of shit put up in this city in the past decade.
^ How DARE you insult Grand Plaza so! It has worked very hard to be the biggest piece of shit in Chicago and it intends to remain that way
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:39 AM   #58
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Yeah, a lot of the 80s/90s towers in Streeterville/River North blow Vision away in terms of shittiness. I'll make a shortlist, if you want. Of course, you did say the past decade, so possibly. IMO, the worst building in the boom so far is Elysian, whose only saving grace is its overall shape.

Anyway, I didn't say I LIKED Vision - just that it looks better painted than raw. It engages the street with a nice lobby and, if I remember correctly, 1 or 2 spaces for retail. Its parking podium on the street side is seamlessly integrated into the design of the upper floors, unlike the shitboxes they slap on the bottom of River North towers (or Allure fwiw). Although it's very poorly-executed, semi-Art Deco, it works.

Last edited by ardecila; July 10th, 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old July 10th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #59
Rascacielos

I'm right there with everyone else in agreeing that Vision for the most part sucks, but let's remember that this was a budget project so it would have been pretty unrealistic to expect much more. And at least this building is giving folks who otherwise would be priced out of the nieghborhood a chance to live in new construction right in the middle of it all.
Rascacielos no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2007, 08:20 PM   #60
Helmet Yawn

Please don't take this as a slam against you guys, but to me, you're basically saying that Mussolini was only slightly better than Hitler. They were both bad; these ARE both bad.

Let's try to spend our energy talking about projects that warrant a serious discussion. P/H is known for doing budget jobs that are merely infill. They've managed to elevate that "art" up in scale now to the high-rise.

Yet, they still turn a profit for their developers which is why their "product" continues to be in demand....but then again, one can buy a hamburger at McDonald's as well as Gibsons.

Again, the miracle is that they let someone with talent actually design One Museum Park and 600 Lakeshore Drive.