daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 10th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #61
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Jobs like this pay the bills over at P/H so they can spend more time on the good stuff!

I’m surprised that people feel so strongly about this particular building. It is certainly banal, but innocuous. The ugly bits (i.e. parking podium) are hidden away down by the train tracks, under the elevated street, and behind the park area. I think they’re showing creativity in utilizing a difficult building site.

The only thing that seems like it could turn it from boring to eyesore might be the color scheme. Here’s a link to an Emporis rendering that shows the “pigmented coatings”.

http://www.emporis.com/en/il/im/?id=459977
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 10th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #62
Helmet Yawn

Likes (Received): 0

Show me the "bill-paying" jobs that SOM, Murphy-Jahn, Perkins & WIll and even SCB do to allow them in return to do good buildings. I don't buy it.

It doesn't take a genius to hide a garage under an existing raised street grade. Sorry, Chiman, but I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this one.

Papageorge / Haymes is average at best. They are the Monkees who occasionally have one or two hits, but they'll never be the Beatles.
Helmet Yawn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #63
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

Don't rely on renderings; at least not for painted concrete. The renderings of Marquee Michigan showed a god-awful canary yellow color on the concrete, but the finished result is looking to be more of a taupe, limestone color, intended to match the historic facade next door.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:54 PM   #64
Chitowner245

^ So I assume you saw those test colors too on the south exposure. I too am pleased with that.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 03:57 AM   #65
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Yup.

Actually, the renderings showed the Buick Building in the same god-awful shade, so I figured it must have been a tinting problem.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 05:10 AM   #66
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

July 19, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2007, 06:31 AM   #67
Helmet Yawn

Oh boy. Another P/H box. I find it ironic that Kingbury Plaza is in the same shot.
Old July 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM   #68
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Taken today:
Old July 30th, 2007, 01:06 AM   #69
Helmet Yawn

Fat has a new spelling: P/H-a-t
Old August 23rd, 2007, 06:02 AM   #70
Chi649

Likes (Received): 12

8-21-07

Chi649 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #71
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Bitch is getting tall. About 16 or 17 more floors to go.
Old August 24th, 2007, 02:49 AM   #72
blaiseark151

Imagine if every building was One Musuem park - we would live in a city which resembled some weird Jetson's fantasy, or a bad Buck Rogers dream. Whether you like this building or not, I think one of Chicago's greatest assets is the variety of styles which are present. What happens if you want to buy a condo but (heaven help you!) you don't like the look of modern glass buildings like X/O?

Also - if you really hate this building, get on your horse, because there are many more planned for the site...
blaiseark151 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 03:38 AM   #73
Helmet Yawn

Glad to see George Papageorge himself is apparently surfing this site now.
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:37 AM   #74
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
Fat has a new spelling: P/H-a-t
AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHA!!!!! FAN-*******-TASTIC!!!
Old August 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM   #75
richardsonhomebuyers

Likes (Received): 1

Helmet did you work for Pappageorge and get fired or something cause all you can do is talk shit? I think I even remember you talking down about OMP.

You do know that others are allowed to like certain buildings even if you don't. We don't need to hear your constant rants about how crappy and cheap looking every building that is going up is. I find it hard to believe you are the authority on architecture in the city.
richardsonhomebuyers no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #76
Helmet Yawn

If you legitimately don't know that P/H is generally recognized as the Wal-Mart of Chicago high rise architecture, nothing I say is going to convince you. Of course that doesn't mean Wal-Mart isn't the number one retailer in the country, but I choose to not shop there.

There is a difference between quantity and quality. Chevy sells more cars than Porsche, but which one would you rather drive? At the end of the day, it's simply a matter of opinion. I'm entitled to one just as you are.

For the record, although I don't feel I need to explain myself to you, I did say I liked One Museum Park, the new Grant Park Tower 3, and 600 Lakeshore Drive.
Old August 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM   #77
geoff_diamond
Live from the Loop

Quote:
You do know that others are allowed to like certain buildings even if you don't. We don't need to hear your constant rants about how crappy and cheap looking every building that is going up is. I find it hard to believe you are the authority on architecture in the city.
With all due respect richardson, I think you're sort of missing your own point here. If you're telling Helmet that others are allowed to like buildings that he doesn't, you've got to remember that people are allowed to dislike buildings that you don't. I think Helmet could just as easily say that he's sick of hearing everyone else's constant rants about how fantastic and perfect everything is.

The whole point of a message board is for people to express their opinions - whether or not they happen to be in line with your opinion.

At any rate - enough of that. I think the bottom line is that P/H is one of the most inconsistent firms producing work in Chicago. You're either going to get something good, or something aweful from them - there doesn't seem to be much middle ground. I've never been as big a proponent of OMP as most people on this forum (I always thought it was a bit bloated), but, I can attest that I'm very pleased with how it looks from any sort of distance (much slimmer than I expected). I haven't been down there to see it up close in quite a while, but, I did see it soaring above the Museum from Michigan and Madison last night and was very pleased.
Old September 15th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #78
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

It still looks ugly, even from a distance. Imagine when they're done painting it beige.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:21 AM   #79
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

September 14, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM   #80
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

My prediction:

As the density of mundane, beige concrete towers continues to grow, and as they are interrupted periodically with nice looking glass towers (Canyon Ranch, Trump, Silver Tower, etc), there will be a certain beauty to the collective look of the skyline.

But damn it, I'll never get over those early parking podiums built from 1999-2002
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote