daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 24th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #101
Retrograde
Chicago

Likes (Received): 4

December 19, 2007

Retrograde no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 27th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #102
cheeps
BANNED

Likes (Received): 112

The only thing missing from this prject are the prison bars on all the windows. I'm so disappointed!
cheeps no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2008, 02:46 AM   #103
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

New rendering showing the park and the next tower.

ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #104
wrabbit

Likes (Received): 5

OMG - they're replicating!
wrabbit no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:56 AM   #105
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

For what it's worth, I still don't see what's so bad about these towers.

They add lots of density, they address the shortage in the rental market and they bring life to an otherwise dead "barrier zone" between downtown and the neighborhoods. Even the planned park looks to be a quite-nice addition to an area with virtually no greenspace.

Not every project can push the architectural envelope, and even if they do, the results can still be pretty bad (see Catalyst a few blocks south).
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:43 PM   #106
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Doesn't this one have a new name: XXX N. Des Plaines (I can't remember it). Does anyone know it?
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:11 AM   #107
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

353 North Desplaines At K Station.

Desplaines Street is officially one word, unlike the suburb, but Fifield's website does it with and without the space in "Des Plaines". I don't think it really matters when even the developer can't keep it straight.

Fifield has another Allure in Vegas and I think they renamed this one to avoid confusion.
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #108
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post

They add lots of density, they address the shortage in the rental market and they bring life to an otherwise dead "barrier zone" between downtown and the neighborhoods. Even the planned park looks to be a quite-nice addition to an area with virtually no greenspace.

Not every project can push the architectural envelope, and even if they do, the results can still be pretty bad (see Catalyst a few blocks south).
I agree! That one rendering captured it at an awful angle and really exaggerated the base or parking garage or whatever that was and made this whole project look awful; but, after seeing some of these photos, I really don't think it's that bad. Actually, more than that: I kind of like it, a little.

It's not glittering modernism, but on the plus side: the tower itself reads as a whole, contiguous unit (there's no podium accounting for a third of its height) and its miles ahead of Lagrange schlock. The glazing appears to be tinted a dark color? Which looks kind of nice against the concrete and may look even better if they paint the concrete a bright shade of white.

Are all the edges "beveled" or just the two?
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 02:56 PM   #109
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

Just the northeast and southeast corners a beveled, and the paint looks like it will be a cream color (some samples are painted on the north face – I posted a picture earlier on this thread).

I actually like what they're doing with a difficult site (railroad tracks to the south and elevated Desplaines to the west. And the park is nice.

What the photo doesn't show is the noxious brown cloud of chocolate pollution coming from Blommer's factory next door!
Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:55 PM   #110
cheeps
BANNED

Quote:

The Robert Taylor Homes also added density. This building has no architectural value. Why couldn't PG create something innovative? It dosen't cost money to be innovative...just brain cells.
Old January 8th, 2008, 10:15 PM   #111
Ch.G, Ch.G

Likes (Received): 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiman View Post
Just the northeast and southeast corners a beveled, and the paint looks like it will be a cream color (some samples are painted on the north face – I posted a picture earlier on this thread).
Oh. That's lame. I really like how the those corners appear to have been sliced to reveal the glazing. Leaving the other two squared destroys the nice symmetry from two elevations and creates too much a monolithic fortress appearance from the other. Sucks about the cream coloring. Would have been kinda bangin if they went with an optical white!
Ch.G, Ch.G no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #112
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeps View Post
The Robert Taylor Homes also added density. This building has no architectural value. Why couldn't PG create something innovative? It dosen't cost money to be innovative...just brain cells.
The Robert Taylor Homes also lacked basic fire-code compliance, proper HVAC systems, adequate plumbing, enclosed corridors, and, oh yeah, residents who cared about their building. The surrounding areas lacked good schools, retail, and parks.

Please don't resort to extremism, and be thankful for the tremendous amount of architectural innovation and talent we DO have in Chicago. This building is not all that bad, and neither is the second tower.

The one finished example we have of this P/H Deco Revival is Vision on State, which is nice from street-level, even if it doesn't have lots of shiny glass and/or steel. Far better than Dearborn Park across the street.
Old January 9th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #113
Chiman

Likes (Received): 1

What about Michigan Avenue Towers I & II, or River Place on the Park and 2 River Place – they’re pretty much in the same P/H deco mode. (Which looks pretty good, IMO.)

Here’s a shot of Michigan Avenue Tower I from last summer – look familiar?

Chiman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 02:45 AM   #114
cheeps
BANNED

Quote:
The Robert Taylor Homes also lacked basic fire-code compliance, proper HVAC systems, adequate plumbing, enclosed corridors, and, oh yeah, residents who cared about their building. The surrounding areas lacked good schools, retail, and parks.

Please don't resort to extremism, and be thankful for the tremendous amount of architectural innovation and talent we DO have in Chicago. This building is not all that bad, and neither is the second tower.

The one finished example we have of this P/H Deco Revival is Vision on State, which is nice from street-level, even if it doesn't have lots of shiny glass and/or steel. Far better than Dearborn Park across the street.
Ever hear of sarcasim???
Old January 9th, 2008, 04:07 AM   #115
LucasS6

Likes (Received): 0

Pretty sure he got your sarcasm. You sarcastically said that Robert Taylor also added density, he said that you shouldn't even bring it up as it's not even close.
LucasS6 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #116
cheeps
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Pretty sure he got your sarcasm. You sarcastically said that Robert Taylor also added density, he said that you shouldn't even bring it up as it's not even close.
What???
Old January 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM   #117
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Taken today:
Old March 12th, 2008, 07:14 AM   #118
JV_325i

Likes (Received): 0

Today

The one compliment I can muster for this thing is that it at least eschews any superfluous design details (for the most part).
JV_325i no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2008, 05:55 PM   #119
i_am_hydrogen
muted

The final product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarWind View Post
June 17, 2008