daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General development > Latvia

Old January 25th, 2007, 08:03 AM   #101
Mantas
in action

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatis View Post
Yes, this is the "Hanner" project at VEF Culture palace - it has got the approvals.

I wonder how they can manage with 107 MEUR for such a huge project. Half-built "Panorama Plaza" alone costs 180 MEUR, but costs still are going up.
Maybe Lithuanians know better how to spend less for same?

TINKLE.Miestai.NET
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old January 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #102
vanniken
Explorer

Likes (Received): 6

come on, nomels, there is no such term as "EU" in business, the policy in sugar industry were lobbied by certain groups of interests, and the weaker ones should abandon their production.. this is a big exaggeration to say, that EU wants Latvia to be outsider, because Latvia is also part of EU, there is no logic in your statement.. as an educated person you should know, that any generalization leads to narrowminded conclusions, there are so many examples of local manufacturing businesses, that work mostly thanks to support of EU funds, I work for one of them, and our market is the whole world.. as for "there is no sense of community" - it depends, most of my friends are socially active persons, participating in various fields of organized social life; and if the trends remain the same, i.e., less you have to think if you have money for buying goods of first necessity, more people will be ready to spend their spare time for the good of community.. don't be too pessimistic
Instead of planning missions to Mars, it would be good for NASA to send up rockets and push a bunch of planets out of alignment. Then they could sit back and laugh when everyone realizes that their horoscopes aren't coming true.
vanniken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:16 PM   #103
Gatis

Likes (Received): 424

Symbiotic tower will be 91,4 m high, it will have 27 floors. Just a short info

Ambermarks - landmarks of Latvia
Gatis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM   #104
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Likes (Received): 121

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanniken View Post
come on, nomels, there is no such term as "EU" in business, the policy in sugar industry were lobbied by certain groups of interests, and the weaker ones should abandon their production.. this is a big exaggeration to say, that EU wants Latvia to be outsider, because Latvia is also part of EU, there is no logic in your statement.. as an educated person you should know, that any generalization leads to narrow minded conclusions, there are so many examples of local manufacturing businesses, that work mostly thanks to support of EU funds, I work for one of them, and our market is the whole world.. as for "there is no sense of community" - it depends, most of my friends are socially active persons, participating in various fields of organized social life; and if the trends remain the same, i.e., less you have to think if you have money for buying goods of first necessity, more people will be ready to spend their spare time for the good of community.. don't be too pessimistic

I am happy for you and your access to the EU funds. Good luck with them indeed.
You are right about generalizations. Every claim needs the appropriate evidence. The topic is vast so I thought I'll get away with my general feeling. Is there any logic for EU in pushing in temptation owners of sugar factories offering them hefty compensations? Is there any logic for EU in trying to slow down the rapid expansion of Riga City Airport? Is there any logic for EU in paying small fees for Latvian farmers not to produce agricultural goods? Is there any logic in penalizing new members of EU for possessing "surplus" of goods...yes, there is a logic for EU, but this logic is not beneficial for Latvia.
Are you saying you know plenty of people who feel attached and responsible for their community and environment around them? How do they do that? I mean what kind of activities they are involved in?

I am working full time, I've got four digit monthly pay before taxes, though I can not afford to buy a accommodation in Riga for myself because the house prices are ludicrous. How do you apply logic here? Who can afford them? Teachers? Doctors or nurses? Police officer who is not corrupted?

I love Symbiotic tower. Particularly those green bits.

LIDO is going to build the manufacturing base for themselves in Salaspils. Mostly wooden architecture.

Cheers!

Last edited by Nomels; January 26th, 2007 at 03:54 AM.
Nomels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM   #105
Gatis

It's not EU who is trying to stop Riga airport expansion. EU as institution is trying to get equal laws for everybody but well-established neighbor airports who feel competition in near future are finding ways how to use the laws against Riga. That's part of the business.

@nomels, even if you have salary "on hand" with four digits - even then you can't afford byuing new apartment inside Riga (my harsh experience). Especially if you have family. It's weird because vast majority of people have lesser salaries but somehow many thousands of apartments are built and sold in Riga.
- - -
That "Lido" building looks interesting. They keep in style, although I am not a big fan of it.

Old January 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #106
Martins
-Riga-

Likes (Received): 126

The Tallest Riga buildings diagram

The Tallest Riga buildings diagram

January 2007

Last edited by Martins; January 26th, 2007 at 11:28 AM.
Martins no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #107
Gatis

Zinedine - you are very conservative here

Panorama Plaza is too low in your diagrams. The height of the buildings themselves is 99 m for the lower tower and 114 m for the higher ones. Spires not included - they come on top.

Panorama Plaza III and Panorama Plaza IV are missing - for the first one concrete puring has started, for the second one - pile driving started.

Skanstes virsotnes are further than shown here - SVII have reached third floor, SVI are making first floor. Pile driving for SVIII and SVIV ongoing.

Pile driving for the last Metropolia building (Victoria) is on-going.

Old January 26th, 2007, 11:57 AM   #108
Mantas
in action

How about somebody made a construction update for Riga?

TINKLE.Miestai.NET
forum Cities & Architecture
Mantas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 12:12 PM   #109
vanniken
Explorer

Likes (Received): 6

nomels, as Gatis already said, there is no EU against LV, there are certain groups of interests, lobbying their needs, using EU legislation and so on.. it's called competition on highest level; it's a pity latvian manufacturers still aren't able to effectively represent their interests in Brussels.. i suggest you to dig these issues deeper, and you will see, that there is no general interest to subvert latvian economy.. regarding salary/expenses, I agree, the prices for flats/houses in Riga is absolutely over the top, and prove that the main players in the market are re-sellers and people from abroad, especially Russia.. in Moscow, as I know, this is the best and safest investment to buy a real estate, 'cause banking system is weak; and as the ties between local and russian businessmen are pretty strong, the money from the East comes here in big amounts.. my friend, who is working for a russian real estate company, said, that this i not unusual to sell millions worth real estate in Riga _for cash_ to some local representatives of russian business :0
Instead of planning missions to Mars, it would be good for NASA to send up rockets and push a bunch of planets out of alignment. Then they could sit back and laugh when everyone realizes that their horoscopes aren't coming true.
vanniken no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #110
raz

Likes (Received): 1

@nomels, The way I see it, Latvia is a teenager with typical teenage problems, attitude issues, bullies, crisis of personality, problems with authority, problems with motivation, trying to fit in, feeling of being misunderstood by the whole world, etc Once the country matures this all will be gone, the problems will have changed to wisdom.
raz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2007, 06:07 PM   #111
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by raz View Post
@nomels, The way I see it, Latvia is a teenager with typical teenage problems, attitude issues, bullies, crisis of personality, problems with authority, problems with motivation, trying to fit in, feeling of being misunderstood by the whole world, etc Once the country matures this all will be gone, the problems will have changed to wisdom.
Interesting metaphor. I hope you are right
Old January 27th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #112
Pulkvedis Pods

Likes (Received): 1

Since some of us have difficulty respecting authority , I would, nonetheless like to know if there is a chance of making your ac(kw)aintances this summer during my visit, and being able to discuss some of the issues you cover in this forum, and seeing closer up the development sites which are going to change the way Riga beckons to all who come to her.
About what nomels said about Zaku sala, and I've read earlier what Gatis has posted about it, I remember the bonfires there on the night of Jan 13, 1991. What a night on that island! Can't decide whether it was festive or down right frightening...anyways, is there any real advantage to Riga by having it further developed?
From the city of Angels,
PUlkvedis
Pulkvedis Pods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2007, 05:52 AM   #113
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulkvedis Pods View Post
Since some of us have difficulty respecting authority , I would, nonetheless like to know if there is a chance of making your ac(kw)aintances this summer during my visit, and being able to discuss some of the issues you cover in this forum, and seeing closer up the development sites which are going to change the way Riga beckons to all who come to her.
You can count on me
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #114
Gatis

- First pair of "Metro Capital Management" highrises at Skanstes Street going through approvals. Designed by "Arhitektonika" and other architects. They proposed 17 floors, were cut down to 14. Apartments. Two more pairs will be proposed - but Board at City Architect has asked to diversify the height of buildings.

Old January 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM   #115
ch1le
always on

Likes (Received): 77

/\ they look pretty good, and its EXTREMELY wise and good of the board to order them to diversify heights! Our planner too often overlook the issue!

Also, we are awesome architects - www.sportsport.ee
ch1le está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 06:40 PM   #116
Gatis

One member of Board, when looking at proposed complex of 6 equal, round towers, said "This is not Riga but oil tanks in Ventspils".

Another building was approved in Centre, at Brivibas Street:

Old January 30th, 2007, 06:50 PM   #117
Martins
-Riga-

Update

Poster version
http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rigacay6.gif
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #118
LV ELF

Another building was approved in Centre, at Brivibas Street:
[/QUOTE]

Gatis, I thought that Riga City recommened to remove one of the floors of the tower because they want to fill out the corner between Brivibas and Miera streets and give that building dominating position. Is it true? I hope so!
LV ELF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #119
Nomels
SSC censors - go subtle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinedine View Post
You missed out the yellow crane on Da Vinci
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:43 AM   #120
Martins
-Riga-

@Gati - just wondering: Panorama Plaza II, III structure will be higher than Saules Akmens?

Tags
projects