daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > General Urban Developments > DN Archives

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old September 5th, 2007, 05:34 PM   #21
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Likes (Received): 203

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
Has anybody seen any renderings for the Cedar Hotel site?
I saw a tiny, crappy one in an issue of Skyline many months ago. If my memory serves right, it was glassy and boxy. But don't hold me to it.
i_am_hydrogen no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old September 6th, 2007, 02:45 AM   #22
spyguy
Expert

Likes (Received): 97

That's basically what I remember. I think it's also by SCB.
spyguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #23
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagoreader.com/feature...siness/071018/

The developer of the former Three Arts Club building is requesting rezoning that might permit a taller structure. The proposal’s on the agenda for the City Council’s zoning committee meeting October 25; alderman Brendan Reilly says as far as he knows, they just want to put in a ground-floor restaurant and lobby...
Old October 28th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #24
spyguy
Expert

http://www.heartlandrebusiness.com/a...ighlight1.html

Chicago Retail Market
Edward Zifkin and Greg Moyer

To the north of the Magnificent Mile, significant changes are coming to Oak Street, as well as Rush and State streets. M Development, led by Mark Hunt and Jeffrey Shapack, has placed a big bet on the continuing demand for luxury retail, restaurant and hotel space in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood. The company purchased the old Esquire Theater building on Oak Street, as well as all the buildings along the south side of Oak between State and Rush. For the former, they are seeking zoning approval for a Mondrian Hotel and restaurant space. For the latter, M Development is creating a build-to-suit opportunity for Barney’s, which will be moving from its present location across the street at Rush and Oak. The developer has also purchased the Melvin’s on State Street, and the property at the southeast corner of State and Division, as it expands the boundaries of the community. In each of these locations, M Development is expecting luxury retailers, high-grossing restaurants and expensive boutique hotels, all uses that it feels are in scarce supply and high demand.
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #25
davidearl
BANNED

Likes (Received): 6

any news????

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
http://www.heartlandrebusiness.com/a...ighlight1.html

Chicago Retail Market
Edward Zifkin and Greg Moyer

To the north of the Magnificent Mile, significant changes are coming to Oak Street, as well as Rush and State streets. M Development, led by Mark Hunt and Jeffrey Shapack, has placed a big bet on the continuing demand for luxury retail, restaurant and hotel space in Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood. The company purchased the old Esquire Theater building on Oak Street, as well as all the buildings along the south side of Oak between State and Rush. For the former, they are seeking zoning approval for a Mondrian Hotel and restaurant space. For the latter, M Development is creating a build-to-suit opportunity for Barney’s, which will be moving from its present location across the street at Rush and Oak. The developer has also purchased the Melvin’s on State Street, and the property at the southeast corner of State and Division, as it expands the boundaries of the community. In each of these locations, M Development is expecting luxury retailers, high-grossing restaurants and expensive boutique hotels, all uses that it feels are in scarce supply and high demand.
anybody have any news on these projects??/

luxury retailer wish list:

Fendi
Valentino
Dior
Marc Jacobs

if Dallas can recently get both Carolina Herrerra and Oscar de la Renta boutiques...in a MALL no less...they why NOT Chicago's Oak Street??????

I would also love to see the Hermes Boutique expanded.... plus Ferragamo and Bottega Venenta display their clothing lines as well..... all would be great for Chicago shopping and add to our international reputation....
davidearl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:56 PM   #26
trvlr70

Likes (Received): 0

Most of those designers are covered by in-store boutiques at Neiman Marcus, Nordstoms, etc..

Chicago has not had great sucess with too avant garde stores. Versace struggled for years and was basically kept on life support by professional basketball players.

Chicago is not ostentacious at all. Showy brands don't succeed here because Midwesterners are conservative by nature.

Shopping is a true pasttime in Dallas.
trvlr70 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:34 AM   #27
davidearl
BANNED

what??

Quote:
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post

Most of those designers are covered by in-store boutiques at Neiman Marcus, Nordstoms, etc..

Chicago has not had great sucess with too avant garde stores. Versace struggled for years and was basically kept on life support by professional basketball players.

Chicago is not ostentacious at all. Showy brands don't succeed here because Midwesterners are conservative by nature.

Shopping is a true pasttime in Dallas.
The lines I listed are NOT too "trendy" [except for Dior under Galliano].....they are classic lines.... they would do amazing business here with their own stand alone boutiques....

I don't expect a Dolce & Gabbana boutique here....

I can see how Versace would not have done too well...way too flashy for Chicago

If Ikram can sell Alexander McQueen....chicago can support the boutiques I mentioned... Chicagoans have amazing taste and individuality...but not "look at me flashiness".

Go into neiman marcus, saks and bloomingdales on michigan...each has big departments devoted to St. John, Bottega Veneta, Chanel, Furla, Tod's, Prada, Jimmy Choo, YSL....all of which have their own boutiques here in chicago.... so that argument does not stand

in other news:

about 2 months ago...a guy at the Bottega Veneta boutique said that in 2008 they plan to fully utilize all 3 floors of the current building and carry the full clothing line as well..... so there IS a demand here in Chicago.....

I think it mainly has to do with available spaces.... plus the Oak St. Council should do more to wooo leading fashion houses here to chi-town

Last edited by davidearl; December 14th, 2007 at 07:39 AM. Reason: clarification
Old December 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #28
davidearl
BANNED

old Virgin Records space on Michigan

I was walking down Michigan Ave last week and noticed that I could see into the old Virgin Records space.... looks like they are working on the interior now....

what is this going to become again?? any news anybody????

would be a great location for a downtown CUSP store!
Old December 14th, 2007, 05:08 PM   #29
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidearl View Post
I was walking down Michigan Ave last week and noticed that I could see into the old Virgin Records space.... looks like they are working on the interior now....

what is this going to become again?? any news anybody????

would be a great location for a downtown CUSP store!
Unfortunately, the megastore will be replaced by a Forever 21.

http://cbs2chicago.com/business/Virg....2.337107.html
Old December 15th, 2007, 03:50 AM   #30
Chicagotom

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_am_hydrogen View Post
Unfortunately, the megastore will be replaced by a Forever 21.

http://cbs2chicago.com/business/Virg....2.337107.html
So tell me again what’s so Magnificent about the Mag Mile - Sound more like a cheep suburban mall.
Chicagotom no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:16 AM   #31
spyguy
Expert

^While I'm not a huge fan of Forever 21, pretty much all the famous shopping streets in the world have these kinds of stores now. I'd certainly take "cheap chic" stores over the likes of CompUSA or Best Buy.
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:58 AM   #32
danthediscoman

Likes (Received): 1

^ not that it helps any but its suppose to be a higher end forever 21.
danthediscoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:40 AM   #33
ardecila
Jack-Of-All-Trades

Likes (Received): 2

How about a HUGE Forever 21? That Virgin Records space is huge for what Forever 21 sells. The popular stuff will all fit on the the first floor, and the second (windowless) floor will be filled with discount and clearance items.
ardecila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #34
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

Actually what I hear is not only will the store sell Forever 21 items but it will also sell clothing and accessories from their other two lines: the Heritage 1981 line (their men's line) and the Twelve By Twelve line (higher-end women's line). So it makes since that they will need all that space! I am not sad to hear this space become occupied by this retailer for the fact that it'll basically be a Midwest flagship of the brands.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #35
ashlandave

Wrong Neighborhood

I believe that the old Virgin store is in River North. The 'Gold Coast' is north of Oak street, from LSD to Dearborn.
ashlandave no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2008, 02:41 AM   #36
Frumie

Esquire Theater"
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...,7805020.story
Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:09 AM   #37
spyguy
Expert

http://www.insideonline.com/site/epage/64831_162.htm

Plans for shuttered theater modified
By Patrick Butler

Preservationists and worried local residents both claimed victory recently when M Development dropped plans for a 10-story, 100-room luxury hotel on the site of the old Esquire Theater, 58 W. Oak, at the behest of Ald. Brendan Reilly (42nd). In its place will apparently be a three-story retail complex now being reviewed by Reilly’s staff and the city.
Old August 15th, 2008, 06:58 PM   #38
spyguy
Expert

Chicago’s M Hotel will have 23 floors and 240 rooms. The base will house retail and restaurant functions, as well as the hotel lobby. Above the base will sit a terrace for use by hotel guests. The top floor of the hotel will contain a swimming pool and other hotel amenities.

Looks like it is across from 10 West Elm (building with distinctive green roof). I think the developer is M Development.

Chicago’s new Mondrian Hotel will be located at the corner of Cedar and State Streets. This sophisticated, modern urban resort will have 216 hotel rooms and feature a restaurant and night club.
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:36 AM   #39
spyguy
Expert

http://www.chicagojournal.com/main.a...96&TM=83739.05

M Development ruffling neighbors on Elm and Division
Felicia Dechter

..."They assured me that they were going to start tearing the building down in May," Spence said.

...Alderman Brendan Reilly, 42nd, wants to meet with M in the next two weeks to officially see what he called "reasonable and appropriate plans" for a two-to-three story retail structure, with possibly a café and some boutique retail. M president Jeffrey Shapack said his company is putting together their proposed plans for Reilly's review.

...Vacant since last year, not all neighbors are thrilled with the upcoming 21-story, 216-room Mondrian Chicago, although "it's better than a whorehouse," one person told me, referring to the Cedar. Shapack said construction begins this fall, and the hotel should open the first quarter of 2010.

Old August 23rd, 2008, 07:08 AM   #40
i_am_hydrogen
muted

Where to begin...

1) Mondrian - It's reminiscent of the CBS2 Morningstar building, except that it lacks the benefit of a four-story base to offset its stockiness. The design and height definitely aren't compelling enough to warrant demolishing the Cedar Hotel. The once conspicuously vibrant patio fronting the old hotel now sits deafeningly quiet, almost in a state of dereliction.

2) Elm & State - I see no reason why it can't be renovated and preserved. The replacement will likely be some schlock design akin to the nearby Barnes & Noble building.

3) "I don't go out after 8 p.m. or when it's dark," said Sally Loeser, a member of the Near North Neighbors. "With nothing happening at the site of the Cedar Hotel and nothing happening on the east side of the block between Elm and Division, that whole area looks terribly rundown, dirty and depressing." This a catastrophic mischaracterization of that area. By no means is it unsafe after dark. This woman sounds like an exurban transplant whose urban sensibilities are severely distorted.