daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 18th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #241
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Likes (Received): 168

Here legs and hair aren't attractive. That was my immediate reaction when I first saw that pic.

Sponsored Links
Old April 18th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #242
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 66

you must be gay...i think she's HOT....I mean..... her overlooking the city...the pool in the forground...the juxtoposition of metal, brick and stucco...the somewhat gloomy day..you have to wonder, what is she thinking? thinking of her lost love? that romantic evening in one of those waterbeds right behind her? contemplating suicide? or just admiring the green, green grass in front of her? or thinking about YOU! I can picture her turning around and just laughing
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:13 AM   #243
spicytimothy
...::HK.:.:.:.LA::...

Likes (Received): 7

so much development :-D but when is it gonna be TOO much so the middle class can start to share some of that sweet urban lifestyle? :-p
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #244
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Great update. Everything is going well so far.

Last edited by LANative; April 18th, 2007 at 09:41 AM.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #245
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

I'm gay but am not blind to beauty. That girl however, has no beauty. Her body is lumpy.

My lovely lady lumps indeed.
Old April 19th, 2007, 12:57 AM   #246
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louman View Post

Doesn't the red line run underneath or around that building?
No, but the blue line does. It runs right underneath Flower. Good catch.

Quote:
Colemonkee: did you take that picture of the federal building from the Ronald Reagan building on 3rd/spring st?
I took it from the top of the L.A. Times parking garage on 2nd and Spring.

And the girl in the photo looked much better in person. Of course, that could be the drinks talking...

Last edited by colemonkee; April 19th, 2007 at 01:10 AM.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2007, 08:29 AM   #247
Louman

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
No, but the blue line does. It runs right underneath Flower. Good catch.

I took it from the top of the L.A. Times parking garage on 2nd and Spring.

And the girl in the photo looked much better in person. Of course, that could be the drinks talking...
I happen to work at the Dep of Justice building (aka Ronald Reagan building). I thought you were someone who worked at the north tower or something. The building complex is actually on one of your photos. It's this one.

It's the two 16 and 13 story towers in the center. I have a clear view of the construction going on where the police HQ is being built and the deconstruction of the Fed building. The attorney general and the governator have visited our building at least once since January. The governator apparently likes to arrive by helicopter and didn't come in through the front entrance on spring st. Well anyway, the area where the Ronald Reagan building is in has a lot of bums due to its proximity to Skid Row. I can still remember seeing a homeless person defecating in public near our building. Gross... I hope a lot of these homeless people are gone once all the lofts and new residential towers are completed.
Louman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 03:06 AM   #248
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Louman, I live at the Higgins Building on 2nd and Main, where Pitfire Pizza is, and I park at the LA Times lot on Spring (just north of the Douglas Lofts). There are still plenty of homeless people in the area, but there are far, far fewer in our general vicinity than even a year ago. The corner of 3rd and Main (right across the street from your office) is particularly bad where that little pocket "plaza" is. That should be cleaned up if the Medallion project ever breaks ground. It will go in that giant surface parking lot on Main between 3rd and 4th.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #249
Louman

Well since you live in the area. Don't try Warung Cafe at 4th St which is sandwiched between Main and Spring. They're so stingy with how much you're getting for a $8 meal, especially with the rice they give you. haha. Well anyway, here's some pictures I took when Heroes was being filmed across where I work. I find it interesting how much filming there has been since i started working in downtown.

That's on the parking lot on Spring St. between 3rd and 4th St.

Picture from my floor.

Those people wearing winter clothes are extras. And it was hot that day too.

Somebody told me the real New York doesn't look like the pictures I took. He said it wouldn't have pedestrian crossings like that.
Old April 20th, 2007, 06:46 AM   #250
Imperfect Ending
Or is it?

Likes (Received): 452

Los Angeles' weather is sporadic
Imperfect Ending no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM   #251
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Haha L.A. playing as New York City once again...
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:07 AM   #252
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Downtown Tower Could Be Tallest in Western U.S.

Plans Call for Park Fifth Near Pershing Square To Soar Up to 76 Stories and Create 750 Condos

by Kathryn Maese

On a parking lot just north of Pershing Square, plans are underway to create what could be the tallest structure in the western half of the United States.

Developer David Houk is working on a condominium and hotel project dubbed Park Fifth that he said would be at least 70 stories, and possibly 76 floors, perhaps making it taller than Downtown's 72-story Library Tower - currently the tallest building west of the Mississippi.

The quiet giant of a project, which would turn nearly half a block bounded by Fifth, Olive, Hill and the Subway Terminal Building, into a mega development, has reemerged after more than two decades on the drawing board.

"Most of our approvals are in place and we're doing a new EIR," said Houk, who heads Park Fifth Partners. He added that his financing is also lined up. "Our goal is to start digging in October."

Houk, a former theater owner who last year purchased South Park's Variety Arts Center, said he hopes to open Park Fifth in 2010.

According to documents Houk has filed with the city, a building entitled for up to 76 stories and housing 750 condominiums would front Hill Street. Another 40-story high-rise at Fifth and Olive is earmarked for a five-star hotel. The 234-room facility would take up the first 15 floors of the smaller tower, with the upper levels devoted to luxury condos with hotel service.

"We're down to two hotel operators," Houk said. "We're in discussions."

The project would include 14,000 square feet of shops and another 18,000 square feet of restaurants (including a swath of outdoor seating) facing the north end of Pershing Square. Six levels of parking would be built below ground with 1,100 spaces.

Houk, a longtime Downtown player, began assembling the land and securing entitlements in the late 1970s and '80s under his Houk Development Company. Initially he said he purchased the site with the intention of restoring and operating the 1906 Philharmonic Auditorium at Fifth and Olive, which had been abandoned when the orchestra moved to the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in 1964.

Those plans were later scrapped and the structure was torn down in 1985. In the office building boom of the era, Houk sought to create a 700,000-square-foot tower as part of a project called Pershing Square Center. The development was slated to include a hotel and retail.

Just as financing for the project came together, the recession of the early 1990s hit, and the ambitious development was put on hold indefinitely.

Area Upswing

Houk's new vision comes as the surrounding area is experiencing an upswing. The Title Guarantee Building, which takes up a corner of the parcel at 411 W. Fifth St., was sold and is being converted into 74 apartments by Daniel Swartz. It is expected to open this year.

In 2005, developer Forest City Residential West debuted the Metro 417 apartments in the 1925 Subway Terminal Building. A mid-block paseo separating Park Fifth from Metro 417 would provide access between Olive and Hill streets.

Houk, who formerly owned the Pasadena Playhouse, has become more active Downtown in the last year. In December he purchased the Variety Arts Center at 940 S. Figueroa St., a prime piece of real estate that will figure prominently into efforts to create a hub around the L.A. Live entertainment district.

Houk plans to start a year-long restoration of the 1,000-seat theater and produce new plays and musicals. The project is expected to get underway later this year.

On April 30 the Community Redevelopment Agency will hold a public meeting on Park Fifth's environmental impact report, starting what will likely be a six-month process before it comes before the board for approval, according to city officials.

Detailed plans for Park Fifth are expected to be released in the next few weeks. Leo A Daly is the local architect, while New York-based Kohn Pedersen Fox Architects is handling the overall design.

"It's designed to take advantage of Pershing Square because right across from the park they've created all the windows and retail to look out at it and pull the look of the park in," said CRA project manager Lillian Burkenheim-Silver. "It's very street friendly and transit oriented with major bus lines adjacent to the property that they will connect the building to with a pretty strong presence."

Houk would not speculate as to whether the project would be Downtown's biggest, especially since the main tower could shrink as low as 70 stories, depending on how the project pencils out.

A handful of ultra high-rises are in various stages of development in Downtown, including the 54-story Convention Center hotel next to Staples Center (scheduled to break ground the week of April 30) and a 50-story structure designed by Frank Gehry as part of the Grand Avenue plan. Also announced, though still in the planning stages, are the 50-story Zen tower at Third and Hill streets, and the 60-story City House project at Grand Avenue and Olympic Boulevard.

Park Fifth does not have to acquire "air rights" to exceed zoning height limits because Houk has already done so. In the 1980s, Houk was one of the first developers to purchase air rights for a high-density building Downtown as part of the Pershing Square Center plan.

Though Houk would not comment on the cost of the mega development, he said, "We have a very well-funded partner," adding that Afrinam LLC, a joint venture between Namco and Africa-Israel Investment, will provide the financial clout to get Park Fifth off the ground.

Locally, Namco Capital Group recently purchased Downtown's 469-room Los Angeles Marriott for $115 million. Meanwhile, Africa-Israel has recently bolstered its U.S. portfolio, with a $210 million purchase of a Wall Street building slated for redevelopment into condos. The company also plans to develop more than $1 billion of residential, commercial and parking on a collection of parcels it acquired in Miami.

Houk said he is not concerned about the current housing slowdown and how it could affect Park Fifth.

"We're not delivering units until 2010," he said. "We think it will be a different world in 2010."

page 1, 4/23/2007
Old April 21st, 2007, 03:20 AM   #253
xiaoluis
BANNED

Likes (Received): 16

Hey guys, congratulations, you got beutiful projects.
xiaoluis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM   #254
Ginza

Likes (Received): 7

Los Angeles should have it's own time square filled with screens and large neon lights.
Ginza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:44 AM   #255
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^LA Live.
Old April 21st, 2007, 05:49 AM   #256
Louman

And then LA Live will pass off as Times Square (right...), giving Hollywood another reason to never film in NYC. haha.
Old April 21st, 2007, 06:19 AM   #257
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

^LA Live will look NOTHING like Times Square.
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:03 AM   #258
Louman

wouldn't it be nice if it did... they would need to add another group of flashy buildings for that to be true... maybe something will come up in the next decade if LA Live turns out to be very successful.
Old April 21st, 2007, 10:15 AM   #259
Westsidelife
LAL | LAD | LAK

Personally, I have no desire for LA Live to replicate Times Square. I want to recreate the energy and excitement of Times Square in Downtown, but that's about it.
Old April 21st, 2007, 12:03 PM   #260
paradyto
entendre privilege

Quote:

I like this one
paradyto está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles