daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 25th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #741
fskobic
jarunac

Likes (Received): 205

Quote:
Los Angeles: Vast City Living on The Edge

Los Angeles, larger than any other American city except New York, is a gargantuan urban complex living ‘on the edge’ and the city most urgently in need of a massive urban planning overhaul. Despite the lessening of the smog problem since the 1970’s, the city still has the nation’s highest year-round concentration of particulate pollution, caused by the inefficient spread of resources across a large area. The city’s famously extensive network of freeways collects traffic as much as it facilitates fast and easy flow, and the drivers of the city experience an average of 72 hours of traffic delays each year, the highest in the U.S.A. The city area of 469 square miles has both flat and hilly areas, and the population of 3,900,000 lives in one and two-story homes and apartment houses, as well as in clusters of relatively dense development. There are numerous neighborhood centers, serving as business, shopping and entertainment hubs for nearby residents, yet no all-inclusive center, not even Downtown L.A., which is today experiencing a renaissance and attracting a widening range of urban amenities to augment its business core. (...)
This is an interesting article, although it's just an introduction to a real discussion about this topic. I'm very interested in urbanism, and LA is one of my favorite subjects in that area, because I believe it will witness the most extensive urbanistic overhaul of any major American city in the next few decades.

I haven't been able to find any threads on this particular topic, just the ones about individual buildings and developments. If anyone else is interested in urbanism and city planning in LA, or knows some cool blogs or websites - write me up/share.

Kenni liked this post
fskobic no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #742
skyhorse11320
Looking to go to work

Likes (Received): 7

First Tower crane goes up at the Wilshire/ Korean Air Building.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
skyhorse11320 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2013, 01:53 AM   #743
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhorse11320 View Post
First Tower crane goes up at the Wilshire/ Korean Air Building.
Welcome to the thread! You can see pictures of the Wishire Grand crane, along with all things DTLA on the downtown development thread at http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post109139765
Old November 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #744
Glidescube

Likes (Received): 32

Should we return Pershing square to a more natural park like setting? Think of it as a miniature central park.
Glidescube no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 12:22 AM   #745
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
Should we return Pershing square to a more natural park like setting? Think of it as a miniature central park.
its in the works... everyone agrees that this current version of the park is garbage
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2013, 09:17 AM   #746
fskobic
jarunac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glidescube View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
its in the works... everyone agrees that this current version of the park is garbage
Is the project that they're doing? Or is this just wishful thinking?
Old November 28th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #747
LosAngelesSportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fskobic View Post
Is the project that they're doing? Or is this just wishful thinking?
that is the latest idea... but that design is not set in stone at all. the process is just starting
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:20 AM   #748
Andro1209

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
This is an interesting article, although it's just an introduction to a real discussion about this topic. I'm very interested in urbanism, and LA is one of my favorite subjects in that area, because I believe it will witness the most extensive urbanistic overhaul of any major American city in the next few decades.

I haven't been able to find any threads on this particular topic, just the ones about individual buildings and developments. If anyone else is interested in urbanism and city planning in LA, or knows some cool blogs or websites - write me up/share.
New York City's core is on a narrow, relatively tiny island, which forced people to build up rather than out early on. The geology of the island also happened to be very accommodating to heavy skyscrapers.

Los Angeles and the surrounding areas, meanwhile are all situated in wide, open valleys. This allowed urban sprawl to easily develop, and the earthquake prone area and decades of height regulations discouraged the building of very tall skyscrapers. Mexico City, also spread out in a valley, has a similar, if not worse, problem with pollution and urban inefficiency.

The cities also have very different cultural characteristics. While New York is highly efficient and concentrated and one has little need for a car, it also dense, noisy, and hectic and a lot of people still choose to live in LA not only for the warmth and sun but because it's more open and low density. LA's design is only inferior because it encourages pollution and congestion, but many people prefer to live in a big city without feeling like they live in a big city.

There are many articles to be found on the urban planning issues LA faces and you could easily find them through Google. Not only does the city need to greatly expand its mass transit, it needs to also convince people they are better by being much faster and cheaper than driving a car. Self-driving and low-emission (possibly electric) cars will also do wonders in the future for alleviating LA's chronic congestion and pollution.
Andro1209 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2013, 06:23 PM   #749
()_T

Likes (Received): 2274

New tower for Marina Del Rey

image hosted on flickr

24-Story apartment high-rise
216 units
24,300 square feet if amenties
3,700 square feet of retail space
Home-rise concept
Old December 2nd, 2013, 09:43 PM   #750
LosAngelesSportsFan

looks sexy. can you let us know where you got your info from? is it solid?

Kenni, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 2nd, 2013, 10:08 PM   #751
PinkFloyd
R.I.P. Chris Cornell

Likes (Received): 3454

del.

Last edited by PinkFloyd; December 3rd, 2013 at 02:55 AM.
PinkFloyd está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #752
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Permits were issued for excavation/grading at 10000 Santa Monica Blvd earlier today. Still waiting on some others to make their way through Building and Safety, but Crescent Heights has permission to dig out the two-level basement now. We should start seeing more activity soon.

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...for-10000.html

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:58 AM   #753
fskobic
jarunac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andro1209 View Post
New York City's core is on a narrow, relatively tiny island, which forced people to build up rather than out early on. The geology of the island also happened to be very accommodating to heavy skyscrapers.

Los Angeles and the surrounding areas, meanwhile are all situated in wide, open valleys. This allowed urban sprawl to easily develop, and the earthquake prone area and decades of height regulations discouraged the building of very tall skyscrapers. Mexico City, also spread out in a valley, has a similar, if not worse, problem with pollution and urban inefficiency.

The cities also have very different cultural characteristics. While New York is highly efficient and concentrated and one has little need for a car, it also dense, noisy, and hectic and a lot of people still choose to live in LA not only for the warmth and sun but because it's more open and low density. LA's design is only inferior because it encourages pollution and congestion, but many people prefer to live in a big city without feeling like they live in a big city.

There are many articles to be found on the urban planning issues LA faces and you could easily find them through Google. Not only does the city need to greatly expand its mass transit, it needs to also convince people they are better by being much faster and cheaper than driving a car. Self-driving and low-emission (possibly electric) cars will also do wonders in the future for alleviating LA's chronic congestion and pollution.
Yeah, I'm familiar with the early development of the LA area and everything that influenced it to become what it is today. I'm watching the expansion of mass transit closely, I'm excited about the Expo line Phase 2, and some projects like the Purple line extension to the Westside cannot happen soon enough! I'm also familiar with a lot of residential developments going on in Central LA and the Westside

It would be really interesting to see the people living in single-family homes/apartment buildings ratio, and compare it to that ratio of other major cities.

I cannot emphasize enough that this is a purely friendly advice/opinion. I don't mind the way LA is built - I like that it's a lot more open than NY, although the sprawl has gone a bit too far IMHO, and it's not showing any signs of stopping. If you turn on historical imagery on Google Earth, you see how it's sprawling out of control. I'm not saying ''tear down all the single-family homes and build apartment blocks'', but I do think that focusing on higher density developments in some areas for a while would be a good idea and would also make it easier to take advantage of mass transit systems and lure SOME people away from cars. I LOVE driving a car in LA, but it would be better for everyone (even drivers) if you got some 20, maybe 30% of people to (even periodically) use mass transit for their commute.

I also think LA is big enough to have one truly (transit-oriented) pedestrian-friendly center that would become a kind of a walkable focal point, both for Angelenos that like that kind of thing, and tourists alike. I love walking around Santa Monica (3rd St Prom., the Pier), down Venice Beach boardwalk, Westwood Village and UCLA campus, USC campus (looking forward to the USC Village), the ''Golden Triangle'' in Beverly Hills, Sunset Strip, parts of Hollywood and WeHo etc., but most of these places become more of less empty after 9 or 10pm, and they're relatively small areas to begin with, very separated from each other. I'm not saying you need a Times Square, definitely not. I'm thinking more of a West End in London (Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Soho), Montmartre or the Latin Quarter in Paris or, if you want something closer to home, the Village and SoHo in NY, for instance. I think that a ''quarter'' like that would really benefit the city in a number of ways, and it still wouldn't impose on the lifestyle of anyone who is not into that kind of thing. LA is big enough, you wouldn't even notice it. I like what's happening with Downtown, but I don't think it will become the thing I'm talking about any time soon.

I know that all of this is a huge bite to chew up all at once, but I do think that the city officials should start thinking in that direction, because the kind of sprawling development that dominated the SoCal market in the past 50 years cannot go on like that forever.

I wanna hear what you guys think of all of this, or if someone thinks this might be a bad idea for some reason. Or if any of you have a better idea in mind. I dunno, I'm just brainstorming here.

Old December 5th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #754
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3586

I think you've definitely got the right idea. Although, I think you're overlooking a very large, walkable area in Beverly Grove/Fairfax/Miracle Mile/West Hollywood. Although it's not 100% contiguous (as with the rest of LA, there are single family homes filling in a number of blocks between major thoroughfares), it's definitely a large swath that you can walk across without ever coming across dead zones. A lot of that has to do with the lack of a freeway through the area.

The fact that it's geographically so central makes it perfect to focus more transit infrastructure on, and I've always been perplexed that no one's really given credence to a subway line that runs down Sunset, Santa Monica, Melrose, Beverly Blvd., or any combination of those. Even the Wilshire Purple Line is too far flung to be useful for most of this central area. The owner/developer of the Grove is pushing to build a streetcar loop through the area that would carry people to and from the Purple Line Fairfax stop, but it seems to me that some heavy rail under the neighborhood is a no brainer.

fskobic, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #755
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Likes (Received): 53449

One Santa Fe groundscraper getting its skin:

http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...-santa-fe.html
desertpunk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 01:22 PM   #756
fskobic
jarunac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshallKnight View Post
I think you've definitely got the right idea. Although, I think you're overlooking a very large, walkable area in Beverly Grove/Fairfax/Miracle Mile/West Hollywood. Although it's not 100% contiguous (as with the rest of LA, there are single family homes filling in a number of blocks between major thoroughfares), it's definitely a large swath that you can walk across without ever coming across dead zones. A lot of that has to do with the lack of a freeway through the area.

The fact that it's geographically so central makes it perfect to focus more transit infrastructure on, and I've always been perplexed that no one's really given credence to a subway line that runs down Sunset, Santa Monica, Melrose, Beverly Blvd., or any combination of those. Even the Wilshire Purple Line is too far flung to be useful for most of this central area. The owner/developer of the Grove is pushing to build a streetcar loop through the area that would carry people to and from the Purple Line Fairfax stop, but it seems to me that some heavy rail under the neighborhood is a no brainer.
Yeah, I thought about that part as well, but I already went a bit overboard with listing all the cool parts. I just wanted to give you guys a general idea of what I had in mind. Plus, I already listed WeHo and Beverly Hills, and that's kinda in that area. I've read a few things about expanding the streetcar from the Grove, I think it'd definitely help make the area more ''user friendly''.

I haven't been able to find a thread about the LA area that would focus on this kind of urbanistic, pedestrian-friendly, transit-oriented developments, as well as visions and discussions. There are just threads about individual projects. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to start a new thread that would focus on that topic? I find it very interesting, but I wouldn't want to clog up the construction thread with these discussions.

Old December 5th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #757
LosAngelesSportsFan

Quote:
I haven't been able to find a thread about the LA area that would focus on this kind of urbanistic, pedestrian-friendly, transit-oriented developments, as well as visions and discussions. There are just threads about individual projects. Do you guys think it would be a good idea to start a new thread that would focus on that topic? I find it very interesting, but I wouldn't want to clog up the construction thread with these discussions.
We have a couple threads in the LA forum under Development that have solid discussions going on. Check em out

Old December 12th, 2013, 03:22 AM   #758
jcastro805
The sky is the limit!

Location: Gulfport, MS via Alexandria, VA via San Diego via Guam via Los Angeles via Fort Worth, Texas
Likes (Received): 694

Judge deals major blow to Hollywood growth plan

Victory for the NIMBYs:

Quote:
A judge has dealt a major blow to Los Angeles' efforts to spur larger development in parts of Hollywood, calling a new zoning plan for the area "fatally flawed" and saying that the document should be repealed.

In a tentative 41-page ruling issued Tuesday, Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Allan J. Goodman said city leaders failed to comply with the state's environmental law when it approved an update to the Hollywood Community Plan, which mapped out new limits for development in that neighborhood.

The plan sought to allow construction of larger buildings in some parts of Hollywood, particularly around transit stops. Three civic groups sued the city over the plan last summer, saying that the council and city planners had relied on inaccurate data and failed to properly consider alternatives to the plan.
The decision, Angel said, means the city will need to start over with its approval process, provide more accurate population data and improve the analysis of alternatives. In addition, it will prevent the city from relying on the zoning changes that were part of the plan, including provisions that allowed for greater density on certain streets, said Beverly Palmer, attorney for the group Fix the City.
Read the full story at http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2nDeHj7sy

jcastro805 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2013, 04:13 AM   #759
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Miracle Mile Neighbors Actually In Favor Of New Mixed-User

Chadoh25, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old December 17th, 2013, 12:49 AM   #760
desertpunk
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

LAFD Finally Relaxes Los Angeles's Flat-Topped Building Policy

Quote:
Just in the nick of time to help the West Coast's future tallest tower, the Los Angeles Fire Department is beginning to relax the rules that have made our skyline so flat-topped and boring. The 73-story-tall Wilshire Grand--expected to open in late 2016--will be the first to benefit from a new LAFD policy allowing "modified helicopter-landing space" on its roof. Since 1958, all Los Angeles high-rises have been required to have a large, flat helipad on the roof (it's the only major American city to have that kind of requirement), which is one of the big reasons the Downtown skyline is so "meh." Instead of a huge helipad, the Wilshire Grand will have "additional safety features" including extra stairwells and reinforced elevators.

But the helilpad requirement has only been "relaxed" for now; Councilmember Jose Huizar's rep says it "will continue to evolve," and a press release calls it "an important first step in allowing newly designed towers with iconic rooflines and narrow roof and tower spires regularly seen in other big cities."

Tags
los angeles