daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 13th, 2015, 05:25 PM   #1041
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5347

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName01010 View Post

Some more additional quotes from article:

"The developer indicated in filings that it would like to begin construction next year and could finish up work by 2020."

"The 28-story condo tower and the 26-story hotel proposed for LTG Platinum Center would become Anaheim's two tallest buildings, while the condo building would eclipse the under-construction 200 Spectrum Center office tower in Irvine as Orange County's tallest building."

Note: Above is a screen shot of the article page from which it was found from the following website: http://www.hopscape.com/wp-content/u..._03%20OCBJ.pdf

Much thanks to ocptguy for bringing attention about this proposed project to me via my blog at http://orangecountydensedevelopment....-triangle.html
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=418

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2015, 12:25 PM   #1042
erbse
LIBERTINED

Likes (Received): 57854

There's a variety of functionally great projects for the city, which signal prosperity and dynamics. But also many of these modernist ones are so replaceable, often they really don't say "this is LA", which is a pity imho.

Aesthetically, I think it'd be good if the city gets more Neo Art Deco and Spanish Colonial Revival style projects. Something that adresses the "vernacular" style of Los Angeles.

Perhaps the architects of David M. Schwarz or LA new classical locals like Marc Appleton, Tim Barber, Robertson Partners, Erik Evens (KAA Design) or Richard Manion can come up with something proper.

🔥 Tradition doesn't mean to look after the ash, but to keep the flame alive! 🔥

msquaredb, Rohne, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
erbse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 10:47 AM   #1043
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I don't think of art deco when I see Los Angeles. I think it's more known for its 50s and 60s futurism.

aquaticko, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #1044
erbse
LIBERTINED

Los Angeles = Art Deco icons

Huh? Okay, there's the iconic googie-style Theme Building at LAX. I love that one. The CRB also enjoys popularity to some degree.

Other than that and with greater priority, when it comes to buildings, LA is mostly known for its Art Deco landmarks, as the 1920s/30s/40s were the time when it became a truly significant place on the world stage and center of gravity for the film and show industry. That includes the Art Deco/Neoclassical mixed City Hall tower, the Art Deco Griffith Observatory, the eclectic Asian Revival / Art Deco Chinese Theatre and other theatres and studios, famed Hollywood is full of 1920s and 1930s Art Deco and earlier structures (see e.g.)... A great portion of the city's old downtown is dominated by Art Deco, such as the Theater District area.
Then there's also the cityscape-relevant buildings of the Library, Coliseum, Eastern Columbia, Pellissier, Bullocks Wilshire and other towers like Desmonds, and typical suburban landmarks like the Fox Theater of Westwood. Even the city's largest and most iconic skyscraper, the postmodern U.S. Bank Tower, creates a reference to setbacked Art Deco skyscrapers rather than anything else. Heck, even the probably best-known "landmark" of Los Angeles is Art Deco styled, the 1928 Oscar statuette.

I recently introduced my idea to reconstruct the Art deco pearl that was the Richfield Tower, which could become a magnificent landmark of LA again. See here: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post122958077

Richfield Building, Los Angeles, California by Boston Public Library, on Flickr

ssp

Last edited by erbse; April 15th, 2015 at 04:09 PM.
Old April 15th, 2015, 05:56 PM   #1045
Saiholmes

Quote:
"Instead, now the applicant is proposing a modification to the overall project which would keep the already in place 238 hotel rooms and, in addition, build a 23 story residential tower (266 feet tall) that could have up to 100 condominium units. The overall count of units, hotel and proposed residential tower, would total to 338 units. Just like the prior proposed project, the modified proposed project also would require the demolition of the hotel parking garage. The residential tower would include an attached parking garage consisting of 0.5 level underground parking and 6 levels above the ground totaling to 6.5 levels of parking. This would total to 422 parking spaces."

Source: My Blog at: http://orangecountydensedevelopment....-in-costa.html
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=420

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #1046
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

@Erbse--Yes, LA does indeed have a number of nice, City Beautiful-esque architecture, but I have to side with ThatOneGuy. A lot of other places have Art Deco and/or Neoclassical architecture, with the latter being far more strongly associated with New York than LA. For that reason, and the fact the Googie really wasn't anywhere else in any real quantity or quality outside of Southern California, I'd be more interested in seeing modern interpretations of that style of architecture (if that's not kind of self-defeating) than the better-trod path of new Art Deco and Neoclassical designs.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:33 AM   #1047
ThatOneGuy
Psst! Check my signature!

I guess there is still a lot of art deco. I would like that building to be reconstructed somewhere in the city.

ThatOneGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2015, 12:24 PM   #1048
erbse
LIBERTINED

Richfield Tower definitely is one of my top favourite reconstruction candidates in all of the US, no matter if there's still a great stock of Art Deco in LA. And while you're right aquaticko that places like NYC or (my addition) Miami Beach are more connected to Art Deco in general, the subconscious image of LA is strongly built by Art Deco. Also via "Old Hollywood" charme, Oscar ceremonies, neon signs, historical studios, the theatres and the landmarks I mentioned.

Is there any sort of contemporary googie style in or around LA? I haven't seen similar things being built for a while, though I love it. I wouldn't count Disney Concert Hall by Gehry or similar structures in.

aquaticko, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 16th, 2015, 03:50 PM   #1049
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1024

From what I know, a lot of Googie architecture wasn't well-built or very well maintained, so it's increasingly rare to find good examples of it as worn-out structures are replaced with newer things. That's a style of architecture I'd hate to see disappear...in truth, not because I'm all that crazy about how it looks, but because I appreciate its daring and eccentricity.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2015, 06:07 PM   #1050
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2974

http://urbanize.la/post/new-look-unv...uth-park-tower

More info on the revived Apex tower. 28-story/312' tall building. Plans call for 341 residential units, which is up 60 from the original proposal by Sonny Astani.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.

desertpunk, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #1051
Saiholmes

Quote:
"Within UC Irvine's student housing, one in particular, Mesa Court, has a major project that involves a sizable building project. This is apparently known as the "Mesa Court Expansion" project which according to UC Irvine's Student Housing website entails: 1) A new dining commons, 2) new community spaces, 3) over 500 new beds for freshmen students in Mesa Court housing. The new development will entail three mid-rise structures (each total 6 floors tall factoring in for podium) that are connected by a podium (Source). Fall, 2016 is the anticipated date for completion of this project (Source)."

Rendering Source: http://housing.uci.edu/communityLife/MC-Expansion.html

Source: http://orangecountydensedevelopment....ines-mesa.html
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...&postcount=421

msquaredb, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old April 19th, 2015, 04:32 AM   #1052
msquaredb

Likes (Received): 354

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiholmes View Post
Zot zot! As we like to say...UCI=Under Construction Indefinitely.

The EDM Student

msquaredb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2015, 05:43 AM   #1053
hateman

Likes (Received): 1797

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Aesthetically, I think it'd be good if the city gets more Neo Art Deco and Spanish Colonial Revival style projects. Something that adresses the "vernacular" style of Los Angeles.
I agree with you. Art Deco is so ingrained in the glamor of old Hollywood and LA (just look at old movie palaces or Wilshire boulevard), but suburban sprawl, Neutra and Midcentury Modern has really taken over people's impression of LA architecture. And LA's contemporary urban architecture is dominated by the random panel and window facade mediocrity that's all over urban USA.

The most recent major building that fits the other description the MTA Building, which was built in 1995 and is influenced by Hispanic-Deco. Being a government building, naturally it was criticized for being too expensive ($300M [adjusted for inflation $462M])but of course LA just built a $578M high school.

USC continues to build in a Collegiate Gothic/Colonial palette, including a massive new development:

https://village.usc.edu/

There are plenty of small scale projects that are in the vernacular style, most often Colonial/Mission Revival. There's also Robert Stern's stalled out Gayley at Wilshire:

In any case, reurbanization might mean greater care for Art Deco buildings:
http://www.ladowntownnews.com/news/b...f12303731.html

Maybe there will even be a return to those styles eventually, and with greater style now that the ridiculous flat roof skyscraper rule has been ended after 40 years.
We are seeking to follow the type of architecture which is good in the sense that it does not of necessity follow the whims of the moment but seeks an artistry that ought to be good, as far as we can tell, for all time to come. -FDR

We shape our buildings; thereafter they shape us. -Winston Churchill

erbse, Rohne, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
hateman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:28 AM   #1054
Kenni
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
Hispanic-Deco

I had never heard this term before for buildings, only for interior decor. Can you give more examples? Please.

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 12:48 AM   #1055
erbse
LIBERTINED

Well, it may easily become more obvious if you look for Latin American hotspots of Art Deco. Check e.g. Montevideo, Buenos Aires, Rio, Sao Paulo and Mexico City. These distinctively different varieties of Deco also influenced the US South like California and Florida. They are more floral and less technological, show less Neogothic and more Nouveau, emphasize monumentality with their surfaces, often are more color- and playful than their northern counterparts. To me it's often easily recognizable if it's an US- or South-American Deco building I'm looking at.

Old April 21st, 2015, 03:59 AM   #1056
Kenni
What?

I thought that Hispanic-deco was inherently different from Art-Deco. Like the Cathedral of Lady of the Angels. But maybe that's more postmodern spanish-noveau?

Kenni no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2015, 06:30 AM   #1057
RegentHouse
City Development Shitlord

Likes (Received): 769

Quote:
Originally Posted by erbse View Post
Richfield Tower definitely is one of my top favourite reconstruction candidates in all of the US, no matter if there's still a great stock of Art Deco in LA. And while you're right aquaticko that places like NYC or (my addition) Miami Beach are more connected to Art Deco in general, the subconscious image of LA is strongly built by Art Deco. Also via "Old Hollywood" charme, Oscar ceremonies, neon signs, historical studios, the theatres and the landmarks I mentioned.
I've always thought of NYC as more Neoclassical with the incorporation of Art Deco elements, and Miami Beach more streamline built ten to twenty years later. Los Angeles' Art Deco is pure, and while I personally think modernism fits Los Angeles better than anywhere else in the world, reconstructing the Richfield Building elsewhere or a tower inspired by its design (ā la Masonic Temple and 190 South LaSalle in Chicago) would be fantastic. Parking lots east of L.A. Live could accommodate and provide the area currently experiencing a renaissance with a landmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateman View Post
The most recent major building that fits the other description the MTA Building, which was built in 1995 and is influenced by Hispanic-Deco. Being a government building, naturally it was criticized for being too expensive ($300M [adjusted for inflation $462M])but of course LA just built a $578M high school.
I can't understand why the Ambassador Hotel was destroyed for a school with talking benches in a dodgy neighborhood. Along with the Drake Hotel in NYC, the demolition of the Ambassador Hotel is probably one of the most atrocious large-scale demolitions in twenty-first century America. You'd think that somebody would have learned already...

erbse, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post

Last edited by RegentHouse; April 21st, 2015 at 06:56 AM.
RegentHouse no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2015, 04:31 PM   #1058
blackcat23

http://urbanize.la/post/icon-rises-s...ronson-studios

Icon has sticks in the ground in Hollywood. 14 stories/200' tall, 323k sq. ft. of office space.

Old April 29th, 2015, 04:19 PM   #1059
blackcat23

http://urbanize.la/post/proposed-k-t...culously-alive

Despite being turned back multiple times by the City Planning Commission, it looks like Mayor Garcetti has approved the requested zone change and general plan amendment for the Catalina Apartments. Somehow this project keeps going.

27 stories (300.5' tall), 269 apartments, 562-car garage, 7,500 sq. ft. of retail.

Old April 30th, 2015, 06:53 AM   #1060
Saiholmes

Quote:

Council backs development that expands Old Pasadena

A million square-foot development that will reshape the northwest portion of Old Pasadena received unanimous support from the City Council on Monday.

The 100 West Walnut project will turn 22 acres of land surrounding the Parsons building near Walnut Street and Fair Oaks Avenue into an expansion of the city’s downtown with new restaurants, office space and 475 residential units.

“It’s transformative for the city, and it’s transformative for Old Pasadena, because what it allows is for Old Pasadena to complete its neighborhoods, north up to Walnut and filling in that space,” said Councilwoman Margaret McAustin. “I’ve lived in Pasadena for 40 years and I’ve never seen a 1 million square foot project.”

“Overall, 100 West Walnut is a game-changer for Pasadena,” Walker said. “It will bring new housing to a great part of the city, it will bring class-A beautiful office space to hellp recruit and create business in Pasadena. This will be a job generator for Pasadena, which also means steady resources for general fund revenue to fund critical city services over the long term.”
http://www.sgvtribune.com/government...s-old-pasadena

Tags
los angeles