daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 16th, 2016, 05:32 PM   #1261
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Per Curbed yesterday, the CEO of the Beverly Center has "announced the announcement" of a huge renovation. This is long overdue (and had actually been previously reported back in 2012). I wonder if Studio Fuksas is still attached.

Quote:
No Bel Air megamansion monstrosity can compete with the Beverly Center mall for the title of Los Angeles's biggest white elephant: the 883,000-square-foot beige blob devours a whole block smack in the middle of the basin. A few years ago, owner Taubman Centers made a few small aesthetic improvements (e.g., the exterior escalators), and rumors surfaced in 2012 that Italian firm Studio Fuksas had been selected for a complete redo, but the Bev Center has remained stuck in its totally '80s amber. Now, however, Taubman has announced that it has made plans to announce "a comprehensive renovation." (Our pals at Racked LA first heard rumblings that the reno was coming back in November.)

On an earnings call last week, CEO Robert Taubman told investors that "The center has been re-envisioned and is set to undergo a comprehensive renovation, the details of which we will unveil at the center on March 7." He added that "This will be a very expensive project."

They hope the result will be "LA's most exciting, dominant, urban shopping and dining experience," which means it'll have to ether the Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica, Old Town Pasadena, Third Street, Rodeo Drive, Hollywood & Highland, and nearby The Grove. (Taubman did note that the Bev Center has an "incredible central location that sits in a unique and very dense market with enormous affluence and an extremely fashion forward customer.")

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:43 PM   #1262
BLACK DAHLIA
BANNED

..Old town Pasadena is my spot...with Rodeo Drive when Dad is generous!..
The Beverly center reminds me of a big whale!

BLACK DAHLIA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 05:44 PM   #1263
blackcat23

Likes (Received): 2976

Seven-story component of Park Fifth scheduled for April groundbreaking

313 apartments and 7,000 square feet of retail space. Also to be accompanied by a $50-million renovation of Pershing Square. No word on the 24-story tower.

Please follow on Twitter @UrbanizeLA, Facebook and Instagram.
blackcat23 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 08:27 PM   #1264
MarshallKnight

Likes (Received): 3591

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DAHLIA View Post
..Old town Pasadena is my spot...with Rodeo Drive when Dad is generous!..
The Beverly center reminds me of a big whale!
Hah, I always think of it as a battleship! Whatever else, it is in sore need of this update. I figure it's worth posting a bit of Studio Fuksas' other work, to speculate on how this "very expensive" renovation might turn out...

"La Piazza" Mall in Eindhoven, Netherlands

Rome-Eur Convention Centre (Under Construction):

Tbilisi Public Service Hall:

I don't know how limited they'll be by the existing structure, but I hope they can open up some kind of atrium space between floors, and find a way to bring much more natural light inside. And I know it's too much to hope that they might replace part of the parking structure with usable floors that actually reach street level, but I'd love to see a grand entrance of some kind.

MarshallKnight está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2016, 09:27 PM   #1265
YuppieLifestyle

Likes (Received): 159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eightball View Post
500 block of Main st an hour ago

YuppieLifestyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 17th, 2016, 05:36 AM   #1266
Saiholmes

Likes (Received): 5347

2024 Summer Olympics | Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Candidate Cities
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...874381&page=17

Quote:

Los Angeles 2024 today unveiled the official logo and slogan for its candidature to bring the Olympic and Paralympic Games back to the United States for the first time in 28 years. On the top floor of the USC Downtown skyscraper, with panoramic views of the City's 2024 Games venues, coastline and mountains as the backdrop, more than 100 Olympians and Paralympians joined bid leaders and civic officials to proudly unveil the LA 2024 logo. The soaring figure of the logo is a symbol of athletes reaching for their dreams, the original Spanish name for Los Angeles "the City of Angels," and the Angeleno spirit of optimism and progress that defines Southern California.

The figure is illuminated, lifted and empowered by the rays of the sun, which emanate from a sparkling point of light at the figure’s heart—a palette of colors often seen in the city sky both at dawn and sunset. The sun itself, which LA calls its brightest star, inspires LA 2024's slogan, Follow the Sun.

As LA 2024 Chairman Casey Wasserman said, “Everyday people follow the sun to our city in pursuit of their dreams, spurring unprecedented creativity, innovation and progress. We’re inviting the world to Follow the Sun to California in 2024, to join us in LA for an Olympic and Paralympic Games that signal the dawn of a new era for the Olympic Movement.”

Follow the Sun is also a reference to LA’s year-round sunshine, as well as the “perennial optimism and constant reinvention” that characterize the world’s entertainment capital.

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said: “We all know that Los Angeles is a city that breathes Olympism. It’s in our DNA. But this logo is about more than Angelenos’ love for the Games. This logo capture's the essence of LA - a soaring belief that through hard work, creativity and ingenuity, we can follow the sun and reach the highest levels of success. It is with that commitment, that we are excited to continue following our dream of bringing the Games back to a city that loves them.”
http://www.teamusa.org/News/2016/Feb...Follow-the-Sun

Old February 17th, 2016, 05:44 AM   #1267
Saiholmes

LA 2024 Olympic Bid - Where We'll Be
Old February 18th, 2016, 03:26 AM   #1268
YuppieLifestyle

Likes (Received): 159

Olympic/Main construction earlier today

YuppieLifestyle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2016, 07:32 AM   #1269
Saiholmes

Quote:

Splashdown! New resort plunges into O.C. waters

Great Wolf Lodge Southern California, a $250 million indoor water park and 603-suite hotel, will begin to find out Friday, when it will welcome its first swimwear-clad visitors.

The Wisconsin-based chain, with 14 resort properties nationwide and in Canada, is betting it can penetrate Southern California and put Garden Grove – perpetually in the shadow of Anaheim – on the map for vacationers.

“There’s a reason why the Great Wolf does well in the Midwest and East Coast. When the weather is bad, it’s nice to have that indoor water park,” said Robert Niles, editor of ThemePark Insider.com, which covers the theme park industry. “They lose a bit of that unique selling point here. ... You can go outdoors nine or 10 months out of the year.”

But others predict that the Garden Grove resort, which will be the largest Great Wolf property, is immune to roadblocks other resorts might face.

The 105,000-square-foot indoor water park is exclusively for hotel guests; they can invite outside friends and relatives, for $40 each, up to the room’s capacity.

Inside the dome, the temperature is set at 84 degrees, with water to stay steady at 82 degrees. Twisting water slides and rides jut out from the building and into a pool inside.

There’s a water-basketball pool, a place to bodyboard or surf and a lazy river. In the hotel are seven eateries, an arcade, a spa for girls and women, miniature golf, and an interactive scavenger hunt for kids.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/g...lf-resort.html

Saiholmes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2016, 05:43 PM   #1270
blackcat23

Two hotel towers planned for Pico/Figueroa/Flower St. Parking Lot

Unnamed developer proposed 1,000 hotel rooms, plus retail space, parking, sky lobbies and guest amenities in two towers. Also requesting similar incentives to those provided to Metropolis and the Wilshire Grand.

Parking lot to the right of the Circa construction site.

Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:31 PM   #1271
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

Seems like a pretty small lot for all of that, which leads me to suspect a high FAR and thus relatively large height. It'll be great to get some more info on this potential project.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:32 PM   #1272
blackcat23

Another tower planned in City West/Westlake area

Residential building, but the details are spotty. Developer is American Lifan, which is a US subsidiary of a Chinese manufacturer.

Video flythrough in the article.

Mplsuptown, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:05 AM   #1273
towerpower123
Let's Revive our Cities

Likes (Received): 4181

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
Seems like a pretty small lot for all of that, which leads me to suspect a high FAR and thus relatively large height. It'll be great to get some more info on this potential project.
That really speaks to how sprawly Los Angeles is! The site is actually enormous and if it were New York, all of that would be stuffed in less than half the space.

These plans are from an article from February 2015 and might have changed, but there are actually three distinct towers.

http://brighamyen.com/2015/02/20/lux...n-downtown-la/

Is there any work proposed to renovate the Pico Street Light Rail station? Most mega-developments work out transit improvements.

186 Newark, NJ Development projects MAPPED
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1874870
http://urbanismvsmodernism.blogspot....l?view=sidebar

See my DeviantArt account at http://towerpower123.deviantart.com/
towerpower123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 03:49 PM   #1274
aquaticko

Likes (Received): 1028

I'm aware of the Metropolis project, but I think that that news release was referring to the parking lot adjacent to it.

aquaticko no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2016, 05:38 PM   #1275
blackcat23

Renderings for Blvd 6200 South

507 apartments, 60,000 sq. ft. of retail, now replacing a parking lot near Hollywood & Vine.

Old February 24th, 2016, 05:39 PM   #1276
blackcat23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaticko View Post
I'm aware of the Metropolis project, but I think that that news release was referring to the parking lot adjacent to it.
The project that you're both referring to is Fig Central, which is under construction on Figueroa between 11th and 12th.

The large construction site in the picture is for Circa:

The parking lot at the south is the one referred to by the Urbanize article.

Old February 25th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #1277
Saiholmes

Quote:

Irvine's Woodbridge Village Center set for $30 million renovation
Feb. 24, 2016 Updated 8:25 p.m.

A two-story building at the center will be demolished and the inner courtyard – home to the center’s two beloved frog statues – will be expanded into a broader area for outdoor dining and gatherings.
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/c...ine-moore.html
Old February 26th, 2016, 05:09 PM   #1278
Saiholmes

Metro Expo Line to begin service to Santa Monica on May 20
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...224-story.html

Old February 26th, 2016, 05:15 PM   #1279
Saiholmes

Quote:

Irvine Spectrum Center tower will have a twin by 2017

With its newest office high-rise at the Irvine Spectrum Center now 43 percent leased, the Irvine Co. is moving ahead with construction of a twin tower.

At 323 feet, the two 20-story towers will be Orange County’s tallest buildings, creating what company officials call “the Spectrum skyline.”
http://www.ocregister.com/articles/i...um-office.html
Old February 28th, 2016, 01:46 AM   #1280
Saiholmes

2024 Summer Olympics | Games of the XXXIII Olympiad - Candidate Cities
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...874381&page=23

Tags
los angeles