daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > City/Metro Compilations

City/Metro Compilations Help report active highrise/urban developments occurring in your city to the global SSC community.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 1st, 2007, 12:49 PM   #141
Myster E

Likes (Received): 73

although the guy's entitled to his opinion, what goes on in LA I find has life and is more interesting cponstruction wise that what goes on in the capital of Warsaw although a great city itself, just my opinion. Those photos show a lot of activity but the weather is quite gloomy for downtown LA.
Myster E no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 2nd, 2007, 08:56 PM   #142
redspork02

Likes (Received): 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myster E View Post
although the guy's entitled to his opinion, what goes on in LA I find has life and is more interesting cponstruction wise that what goes on in the capital of Warsaw although a great city itself, just my opinion. Those photos show a lot of activity but the weather is quite gloomy for downtown LA.

YEAH THAT WAS THAT COLD SNAP THE COUNTRY GOT LAST MONTH!!!

IT'S TIME FOR DODGER BASEBALL!!
redspork02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:34 AM   #143
LANative
Smile!

Likes (Received): 14

Whatever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeleg View Post
Nothing special, I think.. but thanks for photos...
Why do some people think if a city is not building a load of supertalls (like Dubai) the city isn't building "nothing special" at all. And im assuming thats what you're saying.

Every single project here is something very special for L.A.

Last edited by LANative; February 3rd, 2007 at 09:40 AM.
LANative no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:25 PM   #144
soup or man
Avant Garde

Likes (Received): 864

Update..

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMN View Post

Old February 4th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #145
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ctpics1032.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the that next to the Nokia is ESPN, right?

How big is the structure and do we have any pix of what the final design would look like:
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2007, 12:08 AM   #146
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferneynism View Post
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...ctpics1032.jpg

If I'm not mistaken the that next to the Nokia is ESPN, right?

How big is the structure and do we have any pix of what the final design would look like:
No one really knows what it'll look like. I've seen about 5 renderings. All of which are different. I'm waiting for that big hole to be filled though.
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:03 AM   #147
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Likes (Received): 37

It could described as a 3-5 story grey building with billboards, and some floor to ceiling windows (not a curtain wall).
Old February 5th, 2007, 04:35 AM   #148
ArchiTennis
Angeleeeeeeeno

Likes (Received): 66

the top left is part of the convention center, right? looking at the pics, it seems as though that under construction as well. cool
ArchiTennis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:25 AM   #149
soup or man
Avant Garde

The top left corner isn't the convention center expansion. As far as I know, it'll be a parking lot until they do expand. Which won't befor a couple of years.

Anywho..here is a newer rendering of the Glass Tower:

Old February 7th, 2007, 07:12 AM   #150
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisguyinHtown View Post

the top left is part of the convention center, right? looking at the pics, it seems as though that under construction as well. cool
If it was u/c, it wouldn't have he dirt ramp.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #151
allan_dude
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

Any renderings here for the future skyline of L.A? say like for 2010?
allan_dude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2007, 07:43 AM   #152
soup or man
Avant Garde

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROM LOS ANGELES View Post
If it was u/c, it wouldn't have he dirt ramp.
How else would trucks be able to load and unload supplies to the site?
Old February 8th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #153
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Maybe that's one of the reasons why it isn't u/c, they need the ramp.
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM   #154
LosAngelesMetroBoy

Likes (Received): 26

any word about dart becoming trollies? i saw that somewhere
LosAngelesMetroBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 08:15 PM   #155
Fern~Fern*
Non-Registered User

Likes (Received): 489

Huh?
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:51 AM   #156
FROM LOS ANGELES
skyscraper maniac

Is he talking about the street car revitalization?
Old February 14th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #157
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 858

i think he is talking about the Dash system in Downtown LA, and the answer is no, it will not be replaced, rather added to as well as the red cars being reintroduced to the street.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #158
pchazzz

Likes (Received): 0

Grand Avenue Project

Check this out. More massive development on Bunker Hill

Quote:
Despite criticism about tax breaks and land giveaways, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors and the Los Angeles City Council gave final approvals Tuesday to a sprawling mini-city atop Bunker Hill that will alter L.A.'s skyline and set a course for future development in downtown.

Elected officials and other backers of the Grand Avenue project described the vote as a turning point for Los Angeles, whose civic leaders have tried for decades without success to establish a central cultural hub downtown that would draw people from throughout the region.

"This is a historic day for Los Angeles. It changes the entire complexion of the center of our city," said civic booster Eli Broad, who is spearheading the development.

The $2.05-billion Grand Avenue project would be the largest single development in downtown history, and would be built almost entirely on public land that would be leased for 99 years to mega-developer the Related Cos. It has few if any equals in the region, in part because of the complexity and scope of the private-public partnership.

The project also has emerged as Los Angeles' most ambitious effort to create dense, high-rise residential developments next to rail lines, offices, cultural attractions and shopping.

Though some consider the project a model for "smart growth" aimed at encouraging people to walk and use mass transit rather than drive, others see it as a tax giveaway that is not in the interests of local government. Critics complain that Related is essentially getting a double subsidy: The city and county are leasing the developer public land for a profit-making business at the same time that the city is granting breaks on future hotel and parking taxes.

They also question whether the project would be the regional magnet its backers hope.

Both the council and board voted Tuesday, in part to demonstrate their lock-step support for the project. The City Council approved the deal 13 to 0, with Councilman Ed Reyes absent. The supervisors approved the project 4 to 1, with Mike Antonovich voting against it.

By approving the deal, the governmental bodies agreed to transfer the land for the first phase of the project — a county-owned parcel — to the Grand Avenue Authority, a joint city-county agency that will in turn lease it to Related. (Later phases include land owned by the city's redevelopment agency.)

The votes green-light all three phases of Grand Avenue, which calls for at least five new high-rise buildings and 3.6 million square feet of development.

The first phase would include two translucent glass residential towers to be designed by Frank Gehry, one 49 stories and the other 24.

One tower would include a five-star Mandarin Oriental hotel. Two hundred of the 1,000 housing units included in the first phase would be reserved for low-income residents.

The municipal bodies also approved the development of a 16-acre park between the Music Center and City Hall as part of the project's first phase — one of the civic benefits that backers said was vital to the project's success.

The development marks the furthest-reaching effort by local leaders to turn downtown into a 24-hour district on par with areas of New York, Chicago, London and Paris. Downtown has long retained a reputation as a sleepy district that virtually shuts down at sunset, though a recent boom in lofts and other high-end residential development is slowly changing that.

The project will rise in an area that since the early 1960s has been at the center of plans for downtown's revival. Through the 1950s, Bunker Hill was a funky — even seedy — collection of Victorian apartment buildings and boardinghouses that inspired some Los Angeles writers. The city leveled the neighborhood to make way for an extension of the high-rise district.

Backers believe that Grand Avenue can succeed where other downtown revitalizations have failed. They said that it would rise amid such cultural landmarks as Walt Disney Concert Hall, the other venues of the Music Center and the Museum of Contemporary Art at a time when downtown is suddenly a hot destination for the first time in decades.

But even some supporters said it remained to be seen whether such a massive undertaking could change the way people think about the city center.

"Done right, redevelopment is a tool for good. Done wrong, it's horrible," county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky said. "I really believe, let me tell you, there have been more pairs of eyes looking over this project than any I can ever remember."

Though the project has attracted mostly praise at recent public meetings, the tax breaks and other public support have their detractors.

"The desire for an iconic skyline, that's just for aesthetics," said Antonovich, a longtime opponent of the project. "That should be borne by a developer and not the taxpayers who reside in the entire county."

Christopher Sutton, an attorney for the Westin Bonaventure Hotel, which has opposed the tax breaks for the Mandarin Oriental, told the City Council and the Board of Supervisors that his client was prepared to take legal action to block the project if necessary. He called the project a "direct threat" to the Bonaventure.

The hotel issued a similar ultimatum when the convention center at L.A. Live, another mega-project being built at the south end of downtown, received a larger tax rebate in 2005. But that project has moved forward and will open its first phase this year.

Related Cos. said the Grand Avenue project was not feasible without the subsidies. The developer has spent months negotiating behind the scenes for the tax breaks, an increasingly common incentive used by cities to attract catalytic projects.

Early estimates put the tax rebates for Grand Avenue at $40 million over 20 years. But a recent report from the city's legislative analyst estimated that the rebates could cost $66 million. The largest tax break would be in the 14% city hotel tax, a maximum of $60.5 million over 20 years, the report said.

From the beginning, the Grand Avenue project has been marked by a nontraditional public-private marriage. Besides the proposed tax breaks, government agencies are providing the land, investing in street improvements and subsidizing affordable housing in the project.

Related and its fiscal partners, meanwhile, are taking much of the financial risk — particularly tenuous in a downtown real estate market that has shown signs of softening. They also are subject to a number of requirements, including the condition that all construction and permanent jobs in the development meet the city's "prevailing" or "living" wage requirements.

In addition, the agreement calls for developers to give at least 30% of jobs to workers living within five miles of the site. That clause was criticized by Antonovich, who described the city deal as unfair to workers who live elsewhere in the county.

"It's Jim Crow of the 21st century," Antonovich said. "We're denying them their constitutional rights to work in their own county?"

Despite those criticisms, several civic leaders said it was rare for the city and county to cooperate so fully as they have to move the Grand Avenue project forward.

Councilwoman Jan Perry, who serves on the joint powers authority board, called the level of cooperation unprecedented.

Though the city, county and developer each would bear a portion of the project's financial risk, each also would profit if the development was a success.

The city and county could reap substantial tax revenue from the project, far more than they receive now from the properties, which are either vacant or parking lots.

Related has written a $50-million check to the civic agencies, which represents the prepaid ground lease on the first phase and a portion of the second phase of the project.

Related has said that construction of the first phase is expected to start in October and be completed in June 2011.

More here:

The pix only gave tantalizing glimpses of the models--too many ##$$^%&!! grinning politicians getting in the way!
pchazzz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2007, 09:03 PM   #159
soup or man
Avant Garde

Lol..poor Antonio is painfully happy.

I love the revised design of tower. I'm really interested at how the overlapping panels of glass on the base will look like. And do I see rooftop gardens?
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #160
colemonkee
aimin high. shootin low.

Likes (Received): 11

Photo Update - Feb. 17, 2007

Time for a photo update. I took these on Saturday, but I've been enjoying the long weekend too much to post them until now.

Market Lofts (Ralph's)

Not too much left on the exterior.

The entrance to Ralph's with the clubhouse building above. You can see they're finishing up exteriors on the courtyard units.

I could never tell from the renders that there would be glass inside that little area on the left. Kind of a nice touch.

A sneak peak at the balcony railings. The railings themselves are good enough, but the connection to the concrete looks a little sloppy. I'm hoping it's unfinished, and they'll be putting a metal panel over the concrete to make it look a little cleaner.

Meruelo Tower

They've dug down deeper since my last update, But it looks like this is about as deep as they're gonna go. This is looking north from 9th.

Looking west from Flower. Gives a better scale of the depth.

Steal piles presumedly driven for the beginning of the foundation.

Hanover Tower

They're still moving on this one. Putting up the 20th floor plate.

The back side, looking west along Olympic.

Six more floors to go.

LA Live

First, some coverage of the Nokia Theater, which is moving much faster recently.

The view east (of the side facing Staples Center) from Chick Hearn Ct.

No, I haven't been invited, but apparently Posh Spice, er, Beckham, has...

The north side. You can see they're starting to prep for the facade.

A closer view of the north side. Note the columns for the parking structure.

Work hasn't started yet on the hotel, but this is as close as they've been so far. There's a public notice posted at the site for a meeting that happened Feb. 7th for zoning change on the hotel, so hopefully we see some movement in the coming months on actual construction of the hotel.

The ESPN/ESPN Zone building, however, is flying...

Luma

Moving along, but they're gonna have to hurry to have those April move-ins.

View from the south.

Evo

8th floor, the slowest mover of the bunch right now. But you can see it popping up over some of the low rises now when driving on Fig.

Brockman Building

A repeat of Eric Richardson's pictures, but I thought I'd post anyway. This will be one of the best looking buildings when it's fully undressed.

That's it for now.
colemonkee no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
los angeles