daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:27 PM   #241
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

There are a few fixed speed traps installed. But we have automatic controls on 80km/h stretches in the Randstad area! You WILL get a ticket if you drive to fast there. Futhermore, there are a lot of fixed speed camera's on the National and Provincial roads, and speed limits are sometimes ridiculously low, compared to like Belgium and Germany.
Sometimes some police guys are laying in the plants sneaky setting up a speed trap behind trees, signs, dumpsters etc.
Sometimes it looks more like a police state if you ask me.

There are like 7 speed camera's on a 4km part of the ringroad of my hometown, that's ridiculous.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:28 PM   #242
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Good news!

Any plans to connect the German A51 with the Dutch A2 about 20 kms south of Venlo?

And, as we're on it (German-Dutch connections), aren't there planned conections between the Dutch A35 and German A-31 near Enschede and between Dutch A37 and German A31 ner Emmen?
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:33 PM   #243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephasto View Post
Good news!

Any plans to connect the German A51 with the Dutch A2 about 20 kms south of Venlo?

And, as we're on it (German-Dutch connections), aren't there planned conections between the Dutch A35 and German A-31 near Enschede and between Dutch A37 and German A31 ner Emmen?
A52 - A2: No connection. There used to be an A280, but now they are building a nice expressway, but no motorway-like roads.

A31 - A35: There is a 2+1 config stretch here. Fair enough for this quiet connection. Interchange Gronau (B54-A31) is a cloverleaf.

A31 - A37: The A37 is being extended to the German border as we speak. However, the Germans only build something like a Gelbe Autobahn Bundesstraße from the A31 to the Dutch border.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #244
Qaabus

Likes (Received): 4

The chance of getting a ticket is not that big. Around some cities there are some stretches with speedcameras or average speed cameras. These are stationary and often signed, so everybody knows where they are. And there are mobile radar controls, but their positions are announced on the radio right after the traffic jams. So if you keep your eyes and ears open the chance of getting a ticket is pretty slim.

I've never had one, and I tend to drive well above the speedlimit.
Qaabus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 07:42 PM   #245
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaabus View Post
I've never had one, and I tend to drive well above the speedlimit.
Me too, because i know the locations where they are checking your speed.

But i drive a lot in the provinces lately, and it is embarassing what kind of roads they call main roads. Belgium and Germany do that much better. Always a 50 limit near some houses, in Belgium that's more often 70 or even 90. In Germany you are allowed to drive 100km/h outside city limits, that's what i call driving. You fall asleep on Dutch N-roads when driving like 70km/h behind some slow elderly people.
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM   #246
LtBk

Likes (Received): 3711

I bet the Dutch government is desperate for money.
LtBk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #247
eusebius
BANNED

Likes (Received): 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1491 View Post
Me too, because i know the locations where they are checking your speed.

But i drive a lot in the provinces lately, and it is embarassing what kind of roads they call main roads. Belgium and Germany do that much better. Always a 50 limit near some houses, in Belgium that's more often 70 or even 90. In Germany you are allowed to drive 100km/h outside city limits, that's what i call driving. You fall asleep on Dutch N-roads when driving like 70km/h behind some slow elderly people.

Serves you right. Your level of tolerance is alarmingly low. There's a very simple reason for this limit: it saves lives, you short-minded silly kid.
eusebius no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2007, 09:23 PM   #248
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post

Serves you right. Your level of tolerance is alarmingly low. There's a very simple reason for this limit: it saves lives, you short-minded silly kid.
That is nonsense. On German roads there are an equal number of fatalities/accidents, but they have generally a 20 - 40km/h higher speed limit, or even no speed limit.
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:00 AM   #249
Nephasto
Enlightened user

Likes (Received): 71

Well, if a road goes through a city or village it's speed has to be reduced generally to 50km/h.
Having a road with a speed limit of 90km/h through a village wouldn't be reasonable.

This is just an example of a very simple case... I guess this is not the case that makes chris being uppset.
Old July 4th, 2007, 01:15 AM   #250
ChrisZwolle
Road user

No i don't like it when a speed of 50 or 60 is installed when there are like 10 - 20 farms/houses near the road (not necessary on the road).
Old July 4th, 2007, 11:18 AM   #251
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

Update of the A2 Landtunnel:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the runner View Post
Gaat lekker snel(maar ze moeten ook nog wel een stukkie)

Old July 4th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #252
LtBk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eusebius View Post

We had low speed limits for a long time and that hasn't stop people from killing themselves.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #253
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today report from the traffic information center www.vid.nl, says the amount of traffic jams has risen with 17,3% this first half year compared to the first half of 2006.

History;

2003 4,5%
2004 9,6%
2005 2,9%
2006 10,5%
2007 17,3%

things are going out of hand...
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:12 AM   #254
LtBk

Unfortunately, traffic jams is an international crisis and no amount of highway upgrades is going to get rid of them.
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #255
CborG
Rick Bakker

Likes (Received): 372

That's true but here in NL most highways were constructed in the 60's and 70's when traffic wasn't as busy as today. The amount of traffic has doubled itself so many times and nothing was done about the roads. Traffic jams around the big cities will allways excist but some are unnessacary long and can be alot shorter if some extra lanes would be added.
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #256
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, most motorways we have, have the capacitiy of the 1980's. However the biggest growth in traffic was after that period. There is a big difference in doing nothing, or try to control it. Because things are going out of control. This morning, roadmarkings came loose from the A9 near Amsterdam. 90km of traffic jam was related to that single incident, and the entire region of Amsterdam was gridlocked.
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #257
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's really raining severe truck accidents! For the last week, we've got every day heavy truck accidents with total motorway closure! Now there are 5 trucks crashed into eachother on the A15 near Rotterdam. This morning a heavy crash was on the A28 near Zwolle, with trucks involved. Yesterday 2 trucks have crashed on the A4 near Leiden, the day before, a truck has hit a women getting out of her car on the A58. Monday, a truck has flipped over on the A2 near Eindhoven, entire region gridlocked. And not to mention the accidents with hazardous materials.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM   #258
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

I've heard that. And there also was about 36km jams near Amsterdam today because there was only one lane on the A9.
Old July 5th, 2007, 03:21 PM   #259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

4 more trucks have crashed.

3 trucks and a car crashed into eachother on the A16 near Dordrecht, a truck has crashed on the A27 near Gorinchem, and trucks have accidents on the A16 near Dordrecht and on the A28 near Zwolle.

This is sure a bad day for the insurance companies...
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #260
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

how does it come that your amount of traffic jams has grown so freaking fast in the few last years?
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands