daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 27th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2581
Qaabus

Likes (Received): 4

I've got to say that the constant moaning is this thread is really annoying.
Qaabus no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #2582
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

N35 Almelo - Zwolle

Click on the title for all 85 pictures.

A drive from Almelo to Zwolle. I have already pictures this section in 2007, but I never published it due to too much sunlight. The journey starts at the N36 exit at the A35 which immediatly flows into the N35 highway. I experienced a 15-minute traffic jam in Nijverdal at 12 o'clock, the road here is perpetually jammed... It then continues all the way to Zwolle.

route:
[IMG]http://i39.************/19mrt1.png[/IMG]

Preview:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Traffic-jam town.
image hosted on flickr

15 minutes for the next 2 kilometers.
image hosted on flickr

Mirror view.
image hosted on flickr

This is the N35 highway! A shopping street...
image hosted on flickr

Old style signs
image hosted on flickr

Stopped on a parking space here to get rid of that damn truck.
image hosted on flickr

New style signs.
image hosted on flickr

Quite some English actually in the Netherlands.. "Gulf Store", "Cards accepted", etc.
image hosted on flickr

Crossing of the Zwolle - Enschede regional railway line.
image hosted on flickr

This used to be 80 km/h until 2 years ago when they placed city limit signs, lowering the speed limit to 50 km/h. Understandable, but irritating.
image hosted on flickr

Old style signs.
image hosted on flickr

U-route mania
image hosted on flickr

Another Tinq gas station, one of the cheaper ones in NL.
image hosted on flickr

This part could easily have a 100 km/h limit, most people drive that speed anyway.
image hosted on flickr

This intersection, and the previous one are the only places on the entire N35 where you can overtake a slow truck. How 'bout some passing lanes here?
image hosted on flickr

Another gas station, this is the cheapest in the Zwolle area.
image hosted on flickr

Entering Zwolle
image hosted on flickr
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:06 PM   #2583
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

you are really complicating with those horizontal speed limit signs. wouldn't it be more understandable to place normal sign?! btw, i hope you don't put all those at borders' entry speed limits signs - it would make you worse than polish ones
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:12 PM   #2584
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Rotterdam
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAYZIEDOGG View Post

Old March 28th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #2585
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Oh, I just love to drive there A16 is arguably the best motorway in the Netherlands. (2x3 or more the entire route).

There are some traffic jams on the A16 though, mostly because the flow to the A20 is interrupted often, and the Moerdijk Bridge roadworks used to create huge backups around Dordrecht.
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #2586
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Yeah, it's a shame almost the entire route has only a limit of 100km/h while the road has such a good quality.

The section at Rotterdam could be easily 120km/h, depending on traffic. The section south of the moerdijkbridge even higher. You'll really fall a sleep there doing 100km/h...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:15 PM   #2587
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

I wonder how many drivers will follow the 100 km/h speed limit on the A2 Amsterdam-Utrecht when it's finished to 2×5, on a quiet sunday morning.

Talking about the A2 expension: I think that one of the two new viaducts near Vinkeveen will be opened in a few months time, because a few days ago I saw that it already has pavement on it with markings. There is also a small stretch leading to the viaduct from the southern side, but I don't know how the situation on the northern side is.
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #2588
mati162c

Likes (Received): 0

i'm just wondering what is the hard shoulder doing on the left???
it looks like they could fit there another lane...
Old March 28th, 2009, 10:35 PM   #2589
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It is/was required to have a left shoulder in case of 4 or more adjacent lanes in one direction. The left shoulder on the A4 between Nieuw Vennep and Schiphol has been sacrificed for a 5th lane.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:15 AM   #2590
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

Chris, you complain a lot about roads in NL being bad (except motorways), but what you show us, looks totally normal.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #2591
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I think I look differently to our roads than the average road user who doesn't know better.

for instance

speed limits
Are generally low, especially compared to our neighbours, also without good reasons. Why automatically lower speed limits of an entire rural road network just because it isn't classified as a main road? 60-zones pop up all over the country, and they often don't make sense.

Road layout
Traffic calming was the keyword from the 1980's onwards. Narrow lanes, crazy amounts of speed bumps, narrowings, weird routings were thought to reduce automobility. Now we know better than that.

Road quality
Pavement quality is usually excellent, far better than what we see in neighbouring countries.

Signage
Most people won't even notice until you tell them, but the gradual degrading of our signage took place from the late 1990's, when the classic Interstate font (FHWA series) was replaced with redesign on provincial and municipal roads. Read some more about that here on my blog.

Parking
Reduce parking spaces with strict norms, and people will go with their bicycle. Unrealistic traffic forecasts were made by implementing citywide average cycling shares to industrial and office parks. However, the average was high because the downtown cycling share is very high, but other locations aren't as high. Parking problems swell over into adjacent residential neighborhoods.

Traffic congestion
Since the mid 1980's, they stopped most motorway construction, but worse, also stopped adding capacity on existing motorways. However, population grew by 2.5 million since, and mobility far more than that, resulting in some of the most congested areas in the developed world. The Randstad alone features more kilometers of traffic jam during rushhour than whole Germany and France together.

These are my general comments about the Dutch road system. Ofcourse, it's not all bad, but I have my doubts about it as you can see....
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:31 AM   #2592
bakatje

Likes (Received): 3

Always like the pictures in this topic, hope I can drive around more once I get my driver's license.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Chris, you complain a lot about roads in NL being bad (except motorways), but what you show us, looks totally normal.
You spotted some typical Dutch culture.
bakatje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:35 AM   #2593
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakatje View Post
You spotted some typical Dutch culture.
Yes certainly, the Dutch tend to complain a lot, it's in their nature I guess.
Old March 29th, 2009, 02:49 AM   #2594
Verso
Islander

Likes (Received): 4749

You always say Dutch motorways have no decent alternative roads, therefore I always thought other roads were local and narrow, you know, almost like Africa. j/k But I guess you meant they aren't wide, with a high speed limit... Still, they look ok to me... at least pavement is usually excellent.
Verso no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:59 AM   #2595
Nexis
Dark Wolf

Likes (Received): 17043

OMG Chris , u complain more than a new yorker ranting about "New Jersey" roads , which compared to New York roads are heaven. Dutch roads look , very clean , safe , and i can read the signs well. compared to your neighbors. Which now in NJ we compared the crappy old roads to Belgium Roads About the Congestion thing well it seems the dutch are congested in every type of transport system, your bike paths have traffic jams , water ways have bottlenecks near movable Brugs , your trains seem to have congestion of there own. your a sandwiched country , for every type of land travel , your highways absorb traffic from western Belgium , France , Great Britain and as well from Luxembourg , and Germany. Rail traffic from those countries to. The Netherlands and NJ are much alike in that aspect, old Hwys that can't handle today's car usage. and Signage that is barely readable. But in the future things will get better as theres only such much a government can withstand before fixing or replacing Highways or the Economy like now will be unsustainable, but for decades or long term.

: This has been a Nexis or Corey Best Statement

~Corey Best
Visit the New Jersey Section
Nexis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2009, 10:52 AM   #2596
Timon91
Error

Nothing is perfect. Right, Chris?
Old March 29th, 2009, 12:57 PM   #2597
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nah, remember it's also easier to focus on the bad or odd things, so they're represented more in discussions. I'm quite quilty of that too
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:18 PM   #2598
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Gotta love this sign: (it's only for 2 kilometers though).
[IMG]http://i39.************/2uszqsm.jpg[/IMG]
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM   #2599
Timon91
Error

I can't wait until I see those on the A2
Old March 29th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2600
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 is gonna be wiiiide: