daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 15th, 2009, 05:41 PM   #2701
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

This plan would solve many problems, but it's indeed a bit excessive

Still, as Chris said, with our new minister we're at least moving forward, instead of doing nothing.

Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #2702
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

You know what we should do: think outside the box where the A3 situation is concerned.

People are very protective of the environment in this country, to a point where it's borderline extreme. Since they have the law at their side, you should meet them halfway.
  1. Declare a 'Green Heart' - its borders are a new highway; the Randstad Inner Ring. Everywhere inside that highway is off-limits for ugly stuff such as industrial areas. We stimulate the activities of green and cultural activity within this ring (such as tulip bulb fields, museum windmill parks etc.)
  2. Within the new Green Heart - you don't build highways, but expressway boulevards. A sort of green alternative. They can be 2x2 without emergency lanes and without barriers. The two halves would be far apart (brede middenberm) and there would be trees lining them etc. You could even use green asphalt and ban trucks or something.
  3. Outside the Green Heart - you start construction traditional highways like there's no tomorrow. The A4 MD and the A4 Zuid, new connections around Utrecht and between Rotterdam-Utrecht and Breda. Go mental, and make them wide.

Legend
Red & dark red - the new Randstad Inner Ring (the whole area on the inside of it is the new Green Heart).
Green - the new expressway boulevards (2x2, scenic routes).
Orange - new highways (the traditional kind).

That's my solution

What's also important is that towns within the Green Heart (Gouda, Alphen a/d Rijn) stop expanding. Green is green. I think it would be the only way to really convince the environmentalists.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2703
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Within the new Green Heart - you don't build highways, but expressway boulevards.
made of green (colour) tarmac...

EDIT: oops, you wrote it... :-)

IMO this is not a good idea:
2x2 is too much for local traffic, but for transit traffic a "traditional" motorway is better... (which can be lined by trees or forest strips also...)

Last edited by H123Laci; April 16th, 2009 at 11:51 AM.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:24 PM   #2704
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
made of green (colour) tarmac...

EDIT: oops, you wrote it... :-)

IMO this is not a good idea:
2x2 is too much for local traffic, but for transit traffic a "traditional" motorway is better... (which can be lined by trees or forest strips also...)
No environmentalist will go for that.

And we don't have forests in the West of Holland. That's the point: it's flat and it's empty. If some city council 50 kilometers down the road decides to construct an industrial area: it's gonna be in my view.
This 'empty' landscape is considered part of our culture so people wouldn't like it if you just put up a lot of forests to cover up motorways. That's why the government has introduced the concept of a "motorway panorama" (the view from the motorway). They should meet certain criteria to give visitors a positive impression of our country.

The green expressways would be for both local and transit traffic (shortest link between Amsterdam and Rotterdam, and Utrecht and The Hague) but would not be accessible for trucks and other heavy traffic. There's a whole truckload of varieties in there. You could also simply place toll booths there. Keep the motorways free of toll, but charge people to use the expressways. It's not difficult. You just have to think outside the box (which we don't do nearly enough in this country).
Old April 16th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2705
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Building all those new motorways won't make much sense. You don't have to build new motorways for incidents, our network is already very dense to satify that. If the current alternatives wouldn't be already filled with traffic, the total amount of jams wouldn't be as ridiculous long as it is now. Traffic-wise, it doesn't matter where you give traffic extra space. Widen existing roads will barely hurt the environment though, new motorways do...

But yeah, since we're about 30 years behind scedule there is a LOT of work to do.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #2706
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Gotcha!
[IMG]http://i40.************/2zi262u.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #2707
Timon91
Error

Yeah, our crash barriers are really rusty
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #2708
Jeroen669

Damn, it took me about 4 hours yesterday to get home (170 kms). Left at around 16:50, came home around 20:40...
ALL roads in Rotterdam seemed to be gridlocked. It was like 5 minutes of waiting, then getting 3-4 cars further...
Old April 18th, 2009, 02:54 PM   #2709
Daniel541

Likes (Received): 1

Short movie about the new A5 en 'second Coentunnel' (A10)

http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/projec...deo/index.aspx
Daniel541 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #2710
Timon91
Error

Today I saw some new signage on the A7 north of Purmerend. They also repaved the southbound lane recently, it looks pretty good now
Old April 19th, 2009, 03:59 PM   #2711
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That signage has been around since mid-December 2008
Old April 19th, 2009, 04:06 PM   #2712
Timon91
Error

I hadn't been there for a long time, so I didn't know that
Old April 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM   #2713
Timon91
Error

Today a truck toppled over on the A13/A20 interchange. It gave quite some problems, since the A13 is a vital motorway connection in the Netherlands.

For a short video (in Dutch) about the accident, look over here: http://www.nuvideo.nl/algemeen/25953...akt-chaos.html
Old April 21st, 2009, 06:49 PM   #2714
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Could there BE more traffic jams around Utrecht/Amersfoort?
[IMG]http://i43.************/2vxnnmu.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i43.************/vpdl54.jpg[/IMG]
Old April 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM   #2715
Timon91
Error

Yes
Old April 22nd, 2009, 10:42 AM   #2716
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Let's give it a shot, everybody to their cars!
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:54 PM   #2717
Jeroen669

Tomorrow the N209 at Bleiswijk will be blocked for 4 days, they're predicting a chaos in the Zoetermeer/Rotterdam region...
Old April 22nd, 2009, 06:59 PM   #2718
Timon91
Error

From a distance I spotted some new style signage on the A2 near exit Vinkeveen. I hope to pass by there soon by car so that I can confirm this.
Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:28 PM   #2719
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Old April 23rd, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2720
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

is it a moped car?
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags