daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3101
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6165

Well we don't have the space for Los Angeles style widespread suburbs. Given the lack of space, I think we did rather well. Plenty of worse examples in neighboring countries. Ever been to British suburbs? It's either villas or cramped little terraced housing with no front yard whatsoever.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #3102
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

No, but most do though... even in new developments. However, big lawns are unfortunatly unaffordable to most due to our strict zoning laws. Getting an US-sized lot will cost you 200.000 - 250.000 euros easily, and then you still need to build a house.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #3103
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Well we don't have the space for Los Angeles style widespread suburbs.
Actually, Los Angeles has one of the densest suburban areas of the United States. I think it's wrong to associate Los Angeles with low density. The east coast of the United States is far less dense. For instance, Pomona, CA has 2.500 inhabitants per square kilometer, while Amstelveen has only 1.900

I'm not saying every Dutch house should be American-style, but now that kind of homes are just way too expensive for normal income households.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM   #3104
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

We just don't have unlimited space.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3105
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Actually, Los Angeles has one of the densest suburban areas of the United States. I think it's wrong to associate Los Angeles with low density. The east coast of the United States is far less dense. For instance, Pomona, CA has 2.500 inhabitants per square kilometer, while Amstelveen has only 1.900
Really? Wasn't aware of that.

Quote:
I'm not saying every Dutch house should be American-style, but now that kind of homes are just way too expensive for normal income households.
Well yeah but that's not going to change unless we turn the entire North Sea into polders.
Old August 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #3106
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
Really? Wasn't aware of that.
Statistically, Los Angeles proper has a lower density (3.100 inh./sq. km) because it includes some mountain ranges that are nearly uninhabited. If you look at a typical 1 square kilometer city block that consists mostly out of housing, 3.000 - 3.500 inhabitants are no exception. It's not Paris of course, but compare that to Nassau County, New York (Long Island) which has only 1.900 inhabitants per square kilometer.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #3107
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Randweg Eindhoven construction update

How about some pics of the A2 Randweg Eindhoven? I'll do a summary here, you can see all the pictures here on Flickr

7 freeways radiate out of Eindhoven, but they are connected by only one link; the A2 on the west side of the city. The A2 was constructed between 1961 and 1974 initally with 2x2 lanes. Upgraded to temporary 2x3 lanes in 2004, it's now going for a full reconstruction to 4x2 lanes, with a future space reservation for 2+3+3+2 lanes.

route:
[IMG]http://i25.************/210zsq8.png[/IMG]

1. Plunging down at the southern terminus of the A50 motorway.
image hosted on flickr

2. New exit Ekkersrijt. Will lead to IKEA, very important to know
image hosted on flickr

3. New overpass.
image hosted on flickr

4. distances.
image hosted on flickr

5. Possible speed checks, for your and our safety. Weird situation, 90 km/h just end (meaning 120 km/h), but a few hundred meters further, it's 70 km/h.
image hosted on flickr

6. New signage, already indicating N2 local lanes. The express lanes are not ready yet, so all traffic has to use the local lanes, which are now temporarily 3 lanes each way.
image hosted on flickr

7. Merging with A2 ahead. Interchange Batadorp. Note the left exit sign.
image hosted on flickr

8. From the looks of it, the express lanes will get a flyover directly to the south, while the local lanes need to use the 270 degrees loop at Interchange Batadorp.
image hosted on flickr

9. This is the big loop.
image hosted on flickr

10. This corridor is quite wide.
image hosted on flickr

11. Exit to Eindhoven-Airport. The limit of 80km/h feels quite slow in light traffic, as it is today.
image hosted on flickr

12. Overpass indicating the future width of the A2.
image hosted on flickr

13. Exit Eindhoven-Centrum. This used to be a left exit, as far as I know, that was the only one in the Netherlands.
image hosted on flickr

14. Exit Veldhoven.
image hosted on flickr

15. Weird noise barriers, looks like organ pipes or something.
image hosted on flickr

16. Interchange De Hogt.
image hosted on flickr

17. no signage at the split. Could be confusing.
image hosted on flickr

18. New flyover under construction.
image hosted on flickr

19. Heading east on A2/A67.
image hosted on flickr

20. Exit High Tech Campus. The blue bridge looks detoriated, but it gives a very psychedelic lighting at night, very cool.
image hosted on flickr

21. Another Berlin wall to stop noise.
image hosted on flickr

22. Exit Waalre.
image hosted on flickr

23. I'm gonna head for Eindhoven-Centrum. The left lanes will merge with the express lanes to Venlo/Duisburg.
image hosted on flickr

24. I'm not sure of the future situation here... 3 carriageways to the east? (totalling 9 lanes)
image hosted on flickr

25. Traffic to Maastricht should go right.
image hosted on flickr

26. The good old Leenderheide roundabout. Only for local traffic in the future.
image hosted on flickr
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:14 PM   #3108
Timon91
Error

When will knooppunt Leenderheide be a normal motorway junction? There are always jams there.
Old August 6th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #3109
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

The organ pipe sound barrier (lol contradiction in terms) looks cool, it's a nice change from the usual plastic or earthen boring crap.

Thanks for the extensive update! I so rarely venture to Eindhoven, I had no idea they were this far ahead.
Old August 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #3110
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Some facts about the A2 around Eindhoven:

* 17 kilometers freeway
* 16 kilometers noise barriers
* 750.000 tonnes of asphalt, of which 450.000 tonnes will be recycled from the existing freeway
* 45 kilometers of sewage
* 3 million cubic meters of earth
* 6000 piles
* 110.000 cubic meters of concrete
* 14 million kilos of reinforcement (for concrete)
* 90 kilometers of crash barriers
* 15 kilometers of temporary crash barriers
* 150 gantries and 450 electronic signs
* 1000 induction loops to monitor traffic
* 40 kilometers of fiber-optic cable
* 2200 light poles
* 500 - 600 men at work during peak periods
* pricetag of € 550 million
* 77 pieces of "art" (bridges, overpasses, tunnels, flyovers etc.)

I must say the pricetag of 550 million euros is not that bad for a total reconstruction of 17 kilometers of freeway including 5 freeway interchanges.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM   #3111
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:

I just see a car park. No density at all

http://maps.google.nl/maps?q=Pomona,...h&z=18&iwloc=A
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2009, 10:07 AM   #3112
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Pomona is a little bigger than that part you show, it has 160,000 inhabitants, quite a significant suburb.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #3113
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

Serious accident on the A15 near Barendrecht. 2 people died. Whole A15 closed till approx. 2pm.
Old August 7th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #3114
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Anyone ever been on the ferry from Maassluis to Rozenburg? It looks like a stone's throw, why is there still a ferry?
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #3115
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An A54 was once planned as an alternative for the A4 Delft - Rotterdam. It would've ran from Delft to the Europoort harbor, slightly to the west of Rozenburg/Maassluis.

In my opinion, a fixed link is still needed west of Rotterdam. The lack of fixed links will become a major problem in the future. The A4 is not saturated yet, but will be after the A4 becomes completed. This might relieve the A16 on the east side of Rotterdam, but continuous urban development in the Rotterdam and The Hague area increases traffic in the region. The A16 is already the busiest Dutch freeway at 225.000 AADT, with peaks near 250.000 on fridays on 10 to 12 lanes. Basically, there are only 2x2 through lanes for automobile traffic on A16. The others are truck lanes and local lanes.

So basically, the A4 and A16 are the only freeway links in the Rotterdam area. The A4 is the furthest west, and the first to cross the Lek river to the east is as far as Utrecht. There are three more links within Rotterdam, but those are only interesting if your destination or origin is around downtown Rotterdam.
Old August 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #3116
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlchris View Post
Serious accident on the A15 near Barendrecht. 2 people died. Whole A15 closed till approx. 2pm.
Sources say a motorist stopped to remove a bicycle from the freeway, and a truck crashed into it, and it also involved an ambulance.
Old August 7th, 2009, 03:46 PM   #3117
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
An A54 was once planned as an alternative for the A4 Delft - Rotterdam. It would've ran from Delft to the Europoort harbor, slightly to the west of Rozenburg/Maassluis.

In my opinion, a fixed link is still needed west of Rotterdam. The lack of fixed links will become a major problem in the future. The A4 is not saturated yet, but will be after the A4 becomes completed. This might relieve the A16 on the east side of Rotterdam, but continuous urban development in the Rotterdam and The Hague area increases traffic in the region. The A16 is already the busiest Dutch freeway at 225.000 AADT, with peaks near 250.000 on fridays on 10 to 12 lanes. Basically, there are only 2x2 through lanes for automobile traffic on A16. The others are truck lanes and local lanes.

So basically, the A4 and A16 are the only freeway links in the Rotterdam area. The A4 is the furthest west, and the first to cross the Lek river to the east is as far as Utrecht. There are three more links within Rotterdam, but those are only interesting if your destination or origin is around downtown Rotterdam.
Yeah the map of NL stops making sense in Western Rotterdam. What a mess.

TomTom says if I wanna go from The Hague to Middelburg I should take the ferry and the N57 (shortest route). The fastest route is the Beneluxtunnel/N57 combo. The motorway route via Dordrecht/Roosendaal comes in a dire 3rd. Pathetic

How long does the ferry crossing take, do you have any idea? Westerschelde ferries take 20 minutes to cross 6km, the Maassluis crossing looks only 300 meters wide. If they bought a bigger boat it could function as a bridge
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:13 PM   #3118
Timon91
Error

Today I drove to Enschede again (A9-A1-A35) and even though it's vacation time and the transport section is in serious trouble I've seen a tremendous amount of trucks heading east. There also seems to be enough space for a possible future widening of the A1 between Deventer and Hengelo to 2x3. Even viaducts seem to have enough space under them for 2x3 + shoulder.
Old August 7th, 2009, 08:25 PM   #3119
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, I was on A67 tuesday, and I was still amazed by the number of trucks... I can only imagine how bad these truck corridors are when there's no recession... A1, A12 and A67 need to be widened to 2x3 ASAP.
Old August 7th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3120
berlinwroclaw
Kamienna

A2 Everdingen - Culemborg

The A2 motorway Everdingen-Empel is one of the two main gateways from Randstad Metropolitan (7 million inhabitants) to Brabant Metropolitan Area (2 million inhabitants).

This report shows photos of the section between junction Everdingen and exit Culemborg. In the old situation this section was 2x2, new situation will be 2x4. As you may notice on photos below, there is enough space to make even 2x6 including emergency lanes!

Map motorway section A2 Everdingen - Culemborg.
[IMG]http://i31.************/hvykx2.jpg[/IMG]

Approaching Junction Everdingen A27 x A2. Coming from A27 Utrecht.
We follow A2 (South) to 's-Hertogenbosch.
[IMG]http://i26.************/2h82v5l.jpg[/IMG]

Junction Everdingen with reconstruction area. A2 Main lanes under reconstruction. Traffic goes over parallel lanes (left)
[IMG]http://i27.************/kao3z8.jpg[/IMG]

Entering construction area.
[IMG]http://i26.************/30mamwm.jpg[/IMG]

Viaduct Autenasekade under construction
[IMG]http://i25.************/25syd76.jpg[/IMG]

Exit Leerdam
[IMG]http://i25.************/35ir8et.jpg[/IMG]

Overview exit Leerdam, direction Utrecht. Note the Western lane under construction with 6 lanes (left) and existing traffic following Eastern lane 2x3 (right).
[IMG]http://i26.************/sv75md.jpg[/IMG]

Already constructed Diefdijk passage near exit Culemborg
[IMG]http://i32.************/148q5wz.jpg[/IMG]

Overview exit Culemborg, direction Utrecht
[IMG]http://i31.************/1o3gh0.jpg[/IMG]

See also video animation A2 Everdingen-Deil
http://www.rijkswaterstaat.nl/wegen/...deo/index.aspx

Last edited by berlinwroclaw; August 11th, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
berlinwroclaw no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands