daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM   #3341
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike90 View Post
stay left, yeah just stay left. Ok im staying left, no need to use the free space on the right. Yeah left is comfy, im staying here. Left is better. Im afraid of the right lane. Left is easier, just hanging there. My love for the left lane is like a 80 year marriage. Love the left lane. Really good lane, left lane is the best.

This is -unfortunately- so true...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2009, 05:32 PM   #3342
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleetz View Post
So they build a whole new lane and then close it just because of slightly higher noise levels? Insanity! Wouldn't noise barriers make more sense?
If they'd propose that I'm sure that people are going to complain about "horizon-pollution". That's also the reason why they built a 55 million railway aquaduct (4 tracks wide) near Abcoude for a 4 metre wide river (ditch)
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #3343
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Rainy rush hour:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTom HD traffic
278 meldingen
Totale lengte: 1131km
[img]http://i35.************/j0wweu.png[/img]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #3344
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Today, Dutch motorist association ANWB called for a "traffic jam-free day". Of course it was an epic fail, with over 60 traffic jams, it was even busier than many rush hours we have seen in 2009 due to the recession.
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:15 PM   #3345
pilspaus

Likes (Received): 0

a traffic jam free day, cna you believe that? i dont, will never happen, not even on a sunday, total madness to think about a jam-free day
pilspaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #3346
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6164

Yeah that's right up there with "world peace" in the insanity rankings.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM   #3347
Kaasbroodje
Vers van het land!

Likes (Received): 40

Accident happend on the A58 southbound of Breda, traffic in the whole of West-Brabant is jammed.

Kaasbroodje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:08 PM   #3348
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The "traffic jam day" actually turned out to be twice as busy as similar thursdays in september 2009.

The traffic jam pressure is measured in kilometerminutes; the number of minutes 1 kilometer of traffic jam existed. That will be around 20.000 - 21.000 today.

For example;

3-9-2009: 8590 kmmin
10-9-2009: 9772 kmmin
17-9-2009: 11936 kmmin
24-9-2009: 11991 kmmin
1-10-2009: 14.214 kmmin
-------------------------
8-10-2009: 19.232 as of 7:08 pm
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3349
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

In the picture above, 11km traffic jam and only a 10min. delay, can you really call that a traffic jam? It's heavy traffic, but it must be moving pretty well.

Shouldn't the time it takes to drive 1km also be taken into account? If you count every km of congestion the same way, don't you get a pretty skewed picture?
So wouldn't measuring traffic jams in 'time lost' instead of kilometers be more appropriate?
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:17 PM   #3350
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Those delay times by both TomTom and regular traffic info from the traffic control center are highly inaccurate. I've seen 15 km of stationary traffic with only 15 minutes delay. That's why all those traffic jams are colored yellow instead of red. I hear about people driving 2.5 hours for 30 - 40 kms every day around Utrecht (as was today). (some guy I know works in the UMC (Utrecht medical center) in Utrecht always has colleagues coming hours late)
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:49 PM   #3351
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

I meant, from a theoretical point of view, delay times would be better suited to measure congestion than simply treating every km of traffic jam the same - if you can get reliable data. Don't you think?

In NY (and I think also in NJ) they use EZ-Pass transponders to get accurate travel times:
https://www.nysdot.gov/divisions/ope...mation-systems

In Vienna, there's a program that calculates travel times from GPS units in taxis. The problem with that approach is the limited number of taxis participating in the program and that cab drivers know when to avoid certain roads. As a result, there's hardly any data available for the A23 or other notoriously congested roads.

(btw, I'm just curious, you're the expert here )
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:58 PM   #3352
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
I meant, from a theoretical point of view, delay times would be better suited to measure congestion than simply treating every km of traffic jam the same - if you can get reliable data. Don't you think?
Yes, 5 km of stationary traffic is different than 5 km of slow traffic. However, there are no accurate estimates. Most traffic detections are every 500 m in the asphalt in the Randstad metropolis. However, especially with stop-and-go traffic, you cannot measure accurate travel times with it. Another issue is that the traditional traffic info only covers roads with induction loops, and not every motorway has them that frequent, especially outside the Randstad.

TomTom does cover these roads by combining Vodafone cell phone customers and the traditional traffic info, hence 400 km of traditional measures turn out to be 900 km with TomTom, simply because it covers so much more roads. The traffic congestion isn't limited to the freeways in the Netherlands (as most other countries). Travel times are usually some sort of extrapolation, which is inaccurate by definition.

Congestion is not static, but changes by the minute. That's why someone can have a travel time of 20 minutes, while someone traveling that same section 15 minutes later can have a travel time of 35 minutes.
Old October 9th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #3353
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I hear about people driving 2.5 hours for 30 - 40 kms every day around Utrecht (as was today). (some guy I know works in the UMC (Utrecht medical center) in Utrecht always has colleagues coming hours late)
That is so pointless and wasteful. Either find another job, or move.
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #3354
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

About the Tomtom Traffic Control Center...

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 9th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.
kosimodo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:35 AM   #3355
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
That is so pointless and wasteful. Either find another job, or move.
That's easier said than done... If you have job security with a steady income, it's quite an uncertain move to just "find another job". Another problem in the Utrecht area is housing affordability.

The ramp meters at exit Houten on A27 are absolutely disastrous, when they're turned on, it can take well over an hour to enter the motorway from Houten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosimodo View Post
About the Tomtom Traffic Control Center...

http://vimeo.com/1854282?pg=embed&sec=1854282

If anyone knows how to embed this.... let me know
You should only include the numbers between VIMEO tags (just like IMG)

these: 1854282
Old October 9th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3356
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's easier said than done... If you have job security with a steady income, it's quite an uncertain move to just "find another job". Another problem in the Utrecht area is housing affordability.
I'm sick of people saying that. If I can do it, so can everybody else. It may not be easy, but it's surely better than to waste a great deal of your life staring at someone else's bumper sticker.

In the US, it's the commonest thing to move across the country for career opportunities. In the EU we still call that 'migration' and even within individual states people tend to stay put. Why is that? It's especially baffling in a tiny country like the Netherlands. You're not even really moving, you're just moving down the road
Old October 9th, 2009, 12:53 PM   #3357
Qaabus

Likes (Received): 4

Bollocks. Moving is moving. It's inconvenient and expensive.

The A50 bridge near Ewijk will get some company in the near future:

Anybody know whether the new bridge will be built east or west of the existing one?

Last edited by Qaabus; October 9th, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Qaabus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:14 PM   #3358
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaabus View Post
Bollocks. Moving is moving. It's inconvenient and expensive.
Yeah, as opposed to spending 4 hours a day in traffic jams which is just one big party

Moving: you do it once, you're done.
Commuting: wasting precious time every. single. day. and annoying yourself in the process.
Old October 9th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #3359
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slagathor View Post
I'm sick of people saying that. If I can do it, so can everybody else. It may not be easy, but it's surely better than to waste a great deal of your life staring at someone else's bumper sticker.
What about children going to school?
What about your wife when she has a good job around the corner?

And about the housing itself:

What about the years and years on a waiting list for an affordable rented house?
What about insanely high house prices, which is almost impossible to get a mortgage for?

No, for most people moving is definately not as easy as you formulate it here...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #3360
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

So get a different job. I would.

I just don't understand people who willingly spend that much time in traffic. I did it for a few months cause I lived in Zeeland and I had a job in the Hague. It was terrible, I felt like I was wasting my life.

So I moved.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands