daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 8th, 2009, 05:16 PM   #3561
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

Is this system used anywhere else in the world than NL and the US??

Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2009, 10:54 AM   #3562
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

http://tentea.ec.europa.eu/download/...010e_final.pdf

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #3563
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

Traffic chaos around Utrecht again. Earlier this afternoon, a truck lost a couple of concrete slabs, closing two southbound lanes on A2 near Utrecht. This traffic jam quickly reached 25 kilometers, and started already in Amsterdam. Traffic then detoured via A1-A27 via the east side of Utrecht. This resulted in an A1 that was jammed over 20 kilometers and an A27 that was also jammed over 20 kilometers. The connecting A28 was also jammed for 20 kilometers in the direction of Utrecht. So a short-lived two-lane closured caused a peak traffic jam of 85 kilometer in total.

I just got an SMS of a friend of my who is stationary for the last 90 minutes trying to enter the A28 motorway in the direction of A27-south. (there is 1km between that entrance and the A27 interchange). Traffic doesn't move at all.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2009, 08:14 PM   #3564
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

I guess that is what happen when governments keep "tweaking" the system, adding "peak hours lanes", pushing capacity to the max etc.: a small nuisance brings the whole system to a halt.

Geez, they should build at least 150 km of brand new freeways in the Randstad, 2 X 3.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2009, 06:06 PM   #3565
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N331, Zwolle

This video follows a new section of the N331 highway in Zwolle. This road is not shorter or better than the existing N331, but traffic is to be rerouted so the area around the old N331 can be redeveloped. Also, the new N331 features a much bigger intersection at the Stadshagen development project (40,000 inhabitants), a new neighborhood of Zwolle. The old intersection where N331 turns north had only 3 lanes, while the new intersection has 4 to 6 lanes.

map is in the beginning of the video:

Old December 13th, 2009, 02:37 AM   #3566
hoosier

Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelot View Post

Geez, they should build at least 150 km of brand new freeways in the Randstad, 2 X 3.
Yep, destroy the Groene Hart and encourage more CO2 emissions in a country that sits BELOW SEA LEVEL.

Do you even think before posting?
Old December 13th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #3567
andrelot
BANNED

Likes (Received): 7

You can build freeways underground in higly sensitive spot environmental areas. You can drive an hybrid.

Moreover, CO2 is fungible in its effects AFAIK. CO2 emmited in inneficient coal powerplants in China affect Dutch as much as Chinese.

Fact is: there is a huge congestion in the Randstad, and they need to address the problem. "Lack of public transit" is not an excuse there: I doubt there are any other major multi-centric metropolitan area in Europe that has as nearly as half of Randstad rail network, urban and intercity. Trains are not running empty for sure, yet there is still a lot of road congestion because rail cannot cope with travel demands of MOST of Randstad inhabitants who live and work in different places (a situation far common here).

There are some missing links, like the A4 Den Haag-Rotterdam, that ought to be completed. For sake, they've already build a DYKE (levee) which is supposed to be the roadbed.

(Don't want to take it personal, but
Quote:
Do you even think before posting?
seems harsh and inadequate on me.)

Last edited by andrelot; December 13th, 2009 at 02:02 PM.
andrelot no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 05:35 AM   #3568
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielk2 View Post
Is this system used anywhere else in the world than NL and the US??
Canada, Australia (State Queensland), France, Malaysia and in the near furture Ireland.

Source| http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMBER_Alert
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:32 AM   #3569
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Yep, destroy the Groene Hart and encourage more CO2 emissions in a country that sits BELOW SEA LEVEL.
Would you say that the current situation is perfect? One accident on the motorways around Rotterdam and the whole area is gridlocked. First of all, the A4 needs to be completed between Delft and Rotterdam, and it should be at least 2×3, like andrelot said. Secondly, most current motorways need to be upgraded. AFAIK they started widening the A4 near Leiden a couple of months ago, and it's time for some more widenings. Unfortunately it will take a lot of time before this is reality, since environmentalists and NIMBY's have become much too powerful.
Old December 13th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #3570
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
...since environmentalists and NIMBY's have become much too powerful.
Luckily.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #3571
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coccodrillo View Post
Luckily.
If you think that paralyzing a country is "luckily", the Netherlands is the place to be for you
Old December 13th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3572
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier View Post
Over the last 20 years, far more space have been used for housing development in the Green Heart, than all of the motorways in the Randstad use combined. Seriously, such comments are as hypocrite as it can gets.

Second, not many people worry about the sea level. This is not New Orleans. I don't see the relation with CO2 emissions either, transport is only responsible for about 10% of the CO2 emissions, widening some motorways is not gonna worsen that statistically. Really populist to use those kind of non-arguments.

For instance, the manufacturing of my fake Christmas tree cost 48 kilo of CO2. Before I have emitted that kind of CO2 with my car, I have driven over 350 kilometers. Cars always get the brunt of it because they are the most visible form of CO2 emissions. But you have to see those things in perspective. Widening or building a motorway does not substantially increase emissions.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 13th, 2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old December 13th, 2009, 08:49 PM   #3573
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

More or wider highways does not necessarily mean more pollution. Cars pollute more when in a traffic jam, because of the constant stopping, driving, stopping, driving... If you could eliminate the traffic jams by adding an extra lane or a missing link (like the A4), you might help the environment as well.

Of course, you should also work on offering alternatives for people now driving by car, like frequent suburban rail and clustering office working places near railway stations. But public transport is not an option for all the daily trips. It might be more environment-friendly to travel 10 miles by car than travel 30 miles in an almost empty bus to reach te same destination.

So actually, it's not that black and white as many people try us to believe. Economic growth can co-exist with helping the environment. But that's not a popular message these days; some people are making a lot of money with the climate hype. Think about it: if not so many were scared by the prophets of the Al Goreism, all those people at the climate summit in Copenhagen would be unemployed. It's their well-payed job to scare us and make you believe it's all your fault!

Don't get me wrong; I do believe it is important to be careful with our environment. But people shouldn't extrapolate assumptions and then jump to the conclusion they want to hear. Especially if they are making a lot of money with those practices. The real environmental challenges are not some stupid missing 5 miles of the A4 highway near Rotterdam, but how developping countries will fuel their production.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #3574
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Interchange Julianaplein, Groningen

The "Interchange" Julianaplein, intersection is a better word, is the busiest traffic light intersection in the Netherlands. The N7 handles 85,000 vehicles per day, and the A28 is close to 60,000 AADT.

Recently, a tunnel has been constructed for traffic from A28 towards downtown Groningen. Before that, traffic had to cross the intersection. Now you can dive under the intersection.

Direction Groningen (northbound)

Other direction (Assen, southbound)

Photos by Roedie1
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM   #3575
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

Chris, is there a AADT-site online you get your figures from ?
Or do you fid them somewhere else
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #3576
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Rijkswaterstaat publishes them in their annual "INWEVA" reports. Just google for "INWEVA", and you'll find it, it's an Excel file. The most recent ones have data from 2006 though, I have no idea why they are so slow with publishing them, I mean, I have found 2008 data for countries like South Korea or Brazil.
Old December 15th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #3577
Timon91
Error

Today the first 80-km zone will partly disappear On the news they said that the 80-km zone on the A12 east, out of The Hague, sometimes gets a maximum speed of 100 km/h, sometimes 80 km/h.
Old December 15th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #3578
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Uche...
Old December 15th, 2009, 11:00 AM   #3579
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Den Bosch - Eindhoven

This section of motorway has an interesting history. Let me tell some more about it.

map, Den Bosch is shown as 's-Hertogenbosch here.
[IMG]http://i45.************/2uq0tvq.png[/IMG]

While this part of A2 looks very regular, it hasn't been around that long. It was one of the last mainline motorways in the Netherlands to be completed.

After the World War II, the need for a better route between Den Bosch and Eindhoven became clear. Between 1956 and 1959, most of the N2 was widened to a four-lane, divided highway with traffic lights. The last part of this widening was completed in 1966 at Boxtel. The reason why this road wasn't built as a motorway right away (which would be normal at that time), is that the A2 was originally planned with a more easterly course, via St. Michelsgestel and Son towards Eindhoven. A Record of Decision for this route was taken in 1970, but never executed.

Another ROD was taken in 1979 to reconstruct the N2 into a motorway instead. Works started 7 years later, in 1986. In 1996, the reconstruction was completed, 17 years after the ROD was taken. In recent years, the A2 proved to be incapable to handle today's traffic. Traffic volumes are close to 100,000 AADT on 2x2 lanes, so from 2003, plans were started to add shoulder running. Some mistakes were made in process, and they had to start everything from square one again. In 2008, it was decided to widen A2 to 2x3 lanes right away, so no shoulder running. The project should be completed in 2013.
Old December 15th, 2009, 06:05 PM   #3580
Timon91
Error

My dad used to work in Eindhoven for one or two days a week when that section wasn't build as a motorway yet. He said that he still has nightmares about the traffic lights

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands