daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM   #3701
Danielk2
DanielKK

Likes (Received): 2

it's rarely used in Denmark. The only place it is used is a the end of roadworks. anywhere else, the "end of speed limit" or "end of overtaking ban" signs are used.

Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2010, 04:48 PM   #3702
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10285

Indeed, thank you. It's actually a fairly rare sight on French road as far as I can tell, I had forgotten about it.

Substructure no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:20 AM   #3703
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

In Italy it is fairly common. Many foreigners (outside UE) associate it with "no speed limit" and don't understand why they are all over Europe when, as DanielFigFoz said, it means end of all restrictions - which incidentally means no speed limit in German highways.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:31 AM   #3704
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

On one of the other pictures you will see a restriction of 70 km/h. That's why the sign 'end of all restrictions' is used. However, since the max. speed in the Netherlands is 120 km/h this should mean that you might drive 120 here. The A15 and A16 near Rotterdam however are limited to 100. So the sign 'end of all restrictions'. is quite useless here, since there is immidiately a new restriction (of 100) here. Therefore only the sign '100' would be more then enough here.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #3705
Suburbanist
on the road

Do they allow 130 km/h in clear skies nights near Rotterdam? Or are the roads geometrically limited?
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #3706
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

130 is allowed... nowhere in the Netherlands.

More and more of the Randstad is 100 km/h unfortunately. Even A16 all the way to Breda is a stupid 100 km/h, even though it is a modern six-lane freeway which runs through pastures.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:33 AM   #3707
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Something I've never understood (because I don't have a car) is what the problem is with a speed limit of 100 km/h (as opposed to 120) especially in the Netherlands where one would anyhow spend most part of the journey to get into and out of cities.
Car-people. Please enlighten me!
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #3708
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't know if you drive a car, but 100 km/h on a non-congested motorway feels very slow. Those are called "not credible speed limits". It's asking for speed violations. The speed limit must be according to the road layout. That's why people have such problems with all those 60-zones too, because all roads in such a zone are at 60 km/h, regardless of layout like geometry, road width, visibility etc.

100 km/h works on busy urban motorways that are congested or near-congestion. Not on a mostly freeflowing six-lane motorway that runs most of it's 50 km length through rural areas. For instance, 100 km/h would make sense in Rotterdam and Dordrecht, but not south of Dordrecht.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; January 4th, 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old January 4th, 2010, 12:39 PM   #3709
Suburbanist
on the road

Something I also don't understand is why, given the huge ammount of money poured into variable signaling in many European countries, don't they use those systems more wisely (Germans are an exception though).

@julesstoop:

People who don't drive or who are trying to elude the public usually make comparisons like: oh, decrease the speed limit by 10 kph and you will add just 2,5 minutes to the average journey.

Once there were days in which speed limits were always fixed by means of putting a fixed sign. Then, if the area was prone to fog somehow, you'd lower the limit. If the area was prone to high winds, you'd lower the limit.

Now, we have variable signaling (those huge electronic signposts you see more and more in Europe). They are usefull not only to give advice about accidents or jams, or to inform about whether a rush-hour lane in the shoulder is open or closed, but also to establish different speeds according to traffic and wheather.

However, many countries road authorities are dumb. They use a 40 years-old approach consisting on setting a limit low enough that would be obeyed by 80 to 85% of the drivers. The rationale is that there would be some natural "speeders" everywhere, but they would speed not only in absolute terms, but also in relate to other traffic. It was a bitter, though sound policy in the days when enforcing speed was difficult and out of priority of highway patrol.

Now, we have a plethora of video surveillance devices (speed traps), including the smartest ones that measure speed not at a single point, but indeed the average speed over a given strecht of 1 up to 10 km, we have mobile speed detectors, we have variable signaling, we have speed limitators that are cheap to build and so on. There is no reason to enforce low speeds on freeways whatsoever. Most arguments, like "it reduces pollution", "it creates a safer street driving behavior" (it would be like to slow down trains so high-speed train drives develop suitable behavior when driving trams), "it saves money" are proven invalid by independent studies.

For instance, in Germany, where no speed limit exists in 55% of its freeway network, the death rate in freeway crashes is the lowest in Europe.
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #3710
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
In Italy it is fairly common. Many foreigners (outside UE) associate it with "no speed limit" and don't understand why they are all over Europe when, as DanielFigFoz said, it means end of all restrictions - which incidentally means no speed limit in German highways.
It originally meant "no speed limit" in the UK as well, but they introduced speed limits on motorways so now it is = to 60mph and is only seen on non motorways.
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:42 PM   #3711
Kaasbroodje
Vers van het land!

Likes (Received): 40

Oh my god look at the congestion now on www.geenfile.nl!
Kaasbroodje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #3712
DanielFigFoz

Likes (Received): 897

That is a lot!
DanielFigFoz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM   #3713
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaasbroodje View Post
Oh my god look at the congestion now on www.geenfile.nl!
Still, only a third of what we had thursday december 17th.
Old January 4th, 2010, 07:38 PM   #3714
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
This must be a mistake in traffic signalization because both signs are placed on the same traffic pole that means both limits start at that point (and because they are both prohibitory traffic signs they should have the equal power by traffic law) ... so they have basically set 2 different speed limits for section ahead, 100 km/h and 120 km/h. .
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3715
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Hmm, you can't say there's a mistake if you don't know the exact situation. I don't know it either, but I can imagine there was a sign saying it's prohibited for trucks to overtake other vehicles (or another sign with a restriction). In that case, the sign would make sense.

Traffic signs are always read from top to bottom, so in this case "No special restrictions" and then "Restricted to 100km/h".

Greetings,
Glodenox
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:43 PM   #3716
piotr71

Btw. how is the vignettes issue developing in the Netherlands?
Several days ago I had a pleasure to drive across that nice country on its smoothly paved motorways and see 3 yellow boards - just after German border, entering Venlo on A67 - saying "No Vignetten".

Did it mean - no vignettes at the moment but we will implement toll system soon? Or, the government plans has been scrapped?

In 3 months time I am going to go back to my place and am wondering wether will pay some extra euros or not, driving over NL?

Last edited by piotr71; January 4th, 2010 at 10:13 PM.
piotr71 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:46 PM   #3717
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Those are eurovignettes for trucks. Trucks need those in the Netherlands and they're usually sold in border areas.
Old January 4th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #3718
peezet

Likes (Received): 17

they use a fohn to get rid of the ice
http://www.youtube.com/v/DfUdW2xUhI4&hl

Last edited by peezet; January 4th, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
peezet no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #3719
piotr71

Yes, but did not the Dutch Government plan to make motorways in NL paid?
Maybe I am wrong, though I would bet I read quite a lot about that here.
piotr71 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #3720
pijanec

Likes (Received): 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glodenox View Post
Traffic signs are always read from top to bottom, so in this case "No special restrictions" and then "Restricted to 100km/h".
Not in Slovenia. Here prohibitory traffic signs must follow one after another - not to be on the same pole. Because there are situations they can cancel each other as is case on the picture (=> I have never seen such case in practice anywhere till now).
pijanec no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands