daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 24th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #3781
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

It's like the argument of shutting down air traffic to avoid 100% of air crashes fatalities.

Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3782
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

The "Telegraaf" newspaper (daily circulation: 696,000 largest in NL, right-wing/sensationalist newspaper) already got 100,000 reactions on their poll about the km charge. Preliminary results give 89% of the respondents are against the km charge.

I wonder what the ANWB result will be. I take it the number of people against it will be lower (ANWB is in reality pro-km charge, but now have a problem because a large proportion of their members is against it). ANWB publishes a professional magazine called "traffic engineering" (verkeerskunde), but their articles about the km charge are not the slightest critical. I mean, there are a lot of claims about the effect of km-charge which are subject of some serious discussion, yet they're not debating any of them.

High officials are already preparing themselves for a "Parliamentary survey", which is like the most serious investigation possible in politics, and often leads to the fall of a government or of individual ministers. All people involved must cooperate by law and can be heard under oath.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:13 AM   #3783
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Km-charged tolls are a good idea, but I'm afraid the trade-off is just not fair. If they abolished excise taxes on gas and diesel, leaving only BTW (VAT) on them, it should be fairer.
Old January 25th, 2010, 03:31 AM   #3784
Mateusz

Likes (Received): 235

Are there still motorways without hard shoulders in the Netherlands ?
Mateusz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 09:46 AM   #3785
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateusz View Post
Are there still motorways without hard shoulders in the Netherlands ?
In some tunnels. And when shoulder running is in operation.
Old January 25th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #3786
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Several trucks jackknifed and cars crashed on A1 due to unexpected slippery roads east of Oldenzaal.

pic by alsedijkstra
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #3787
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It is indeed very slippery here. There was a little bit of snow this morning, but due to the subzero temperatures it has become icy (even though I live west of Oldenzaal )
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #3788
Satan Of Panonia

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Today, both ANWB (Dutch motorists and tourist association) and the Telegraaf (Telegraph newspaper) have launched a poll about the so-called "kilometerheffing" (kilometer charge) where every vehicle is to be charged by the kilometer.

As a member of ANWB, I also sent them an email where I explain why I am against the kilometer charge. Today, the ANWB started a poll, which immediately lead to a server overload and inaccessible web page for several hours. The Dutch newspaper Telegraaf (most circulated Dutch newspaper) also started a poll, and after several hours, already 65.000 people responded.

It shows the km charge debate is a very lively one. I wonder what the results would be though, the ANWB poll was fairly suggestive and pro-km charge in my opinion, there was no simply yes or no answer, but questions like "do you think it's a good thing traffic fatalities will drop because of the km charge", I mean, how in earth can you vote against that? Since when is the km charge and traffic fatalities rate a related thing? You couldn't simply say "I don't think it has any influence", but "i (strongly) agree" or "i (strongly) disagree".

So if you're against the km charge, you would need to put the crazy answer of "I disagree that it's a good thing traffic fatalities will drop because of the km charge".
Ik heb al tegen gestemd.Die gasten in Den Haag sporen niet.Zulke dingen kwamen zelfs in de USSR niet voor.
Satan Of Panonia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:37 PM   #3789
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Freak accident on A73 motorway near Roermond. A 32-year old woman got a hypo (Hypoglycemia, low blood glucose level), and drove against traffic and caused several accidents en-route. The first accident was in the Swalmen Tunnel north of Roermond, and she then kept driving against traffic and the police lowered the gates at the Roer Tunnel, where she crashed through, flanked a van and then had a head-on collision with a jeep. A fire broke out in her car immediately after the accident, but the on-site police managed to keep it under control.
Old January 26th, 2010, 03:10 PM   #3790
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another major accident at the exact same location as yesterday.

Two trucks and two cars crashed in the Roer tunnel, one person was killed and several people were injured. A medevac helicopter was called to the scene, and another ambulance was also on the scene, but another car crashed into the ambulance and slammed to the other roadway.
Old January 27th, 2010, 12:41 PM   #3791
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A third big accident on A73, in northern Limburg (near Cuijk), 7 trucks crashed. Southbound lanes are closed since 6.45 am, and are likely to open around 15.30 again. It's doesn't cause very long traffic jams since A73 is not the busiest motorway in the Netherlands, and it happened in the anti-rush hour direction.

4 cars and a truck crashed on A15 near Rotterdam. 4 out of 6 lanes were closed.

And another thing; there is another snow front moving in, people are advised to go home early.
Old January 28th, 2010, 01:49 PM   #3792
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

I know someone who had been stuck 3 hours there (A73). I drove there by the early evening and they still were busy to repair the barrier.
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2010, 07:13 PM   #3793
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Today 2 lanes closed on the A1 from Amsterdam to Amersfoort for emergency repairs to the highway that was caused by the cold temperatures. This caused a lot of extra traffic jams around Amsterdam this evening rush hour.

Yesterday I drove from Delft to Amsterrdam around noon and also two lanes were closed on the A4 between the Hague and Leiderdorp for the same reason.
Old January 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #3794
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The most ambitious urban plan in the next decade(s) will be the A10-south in Amsterdam.

Currently, this motorway has 6 lanes, 180.000 AADT and has a subway and railway running in the median. This corridor is over 150 meters wide.

The city of Amsterdam wants to put the whole thing underground, a 1.2 km tunnel with 12 lanes of motorway, a high-speed railway, regular railway and subway lines, in at least 9 tubes.

I doubt if this plan will come to fruition though, Amsterdam is already debt-laden with their north-south subway line completely running out of hand financially.

Old January 29th, 2010, 07:43 PM   #3795
Qaabus

Likes (Received): 4

The A2 in Utrecht by De Jong Luchtfotografie:

Qaabus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2010, 10:19 PM   #3796
Timon91
Error

Beautiful! I really like the first picture, it clearly shows the progress of the Landtunnel.
Old January 29th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #3797
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovengr..._Leidsche_Rijn

Is it really only a sort of roof built above ground?

Quote:
The above-ground tunnel to A2 Leidsche Rhine is a major infrastructure construction along the A2 at the height Utrecht. The tunnel will continue throughout the length above ground level and is under construction east of Leidsche Rhine and west of the current route of the A2.

The highway is covered here because the necessary statutory noise and air quality requirements by the road widening (to 2x5 lanes) and relocation of the A2 in the case would come. Also chosen for this solution to the barrier counter.

The construction of the new roofed stretch of highway started in 2007 and should be 2010 ready. The length of the tunnel is about 1650 meter, from the junction with the railway line Utrecht - Rotterdam to the junction with the Rhine Leiden. The tunnel is 80 meter wide with four tubes: two for the main lanes for through traffic and two for the parallelbanen for local traffic. The space on the roof is used for building and a park. The building cost 115 million euros.

In the tunnel no exits. The existing exit 7 (Oog in Al) on the route of the tunnel was therefore concluded on December 21, 2007 and replaced by a new exit at Lage Weide, about 3 kilometer north.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:01 AM   #3798
Timon91
Error

That's right.
Old January 30th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #3799
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 807

Do we have an extreme high quality air requirement? Because I have the feeling that only we (holland) spend so much money on a tunnel that is above ground just to meet air quality standards
Old January 30th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #3800
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I don't think this tunnel was specifically built to meet air quality standards. I think it was built to reduce the physical barrier between the city of Utrecht and the new 90.000 inhabitants development Leidsche Rijn.

I think this may end up to be one of the widest urban tunnels ever constructed. I mean, the Big Dig in Boston has like 8 lanes, is a lot longer, but this tunnel has like 14 lanes.

However, I hope this tunnel doesn't lead to a precedent where every city with a motorway running through it will demand a tunnel. I mean, it was Utrecht's own choice to begin a development across the A2 motorway. The motorway construction started in 1938 on the west side of Utrecht. I don't feel it's fair that because of Utrecht's choice to expand the city westward, it has to fall on the burden of every taxpayer in the Netherlands. Such tunnels are very expensive, not only to construct, but also to maintain and operate.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands