daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM   #381
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verso View Post
Anything positive from the Netherlands?
Yeah, our pavement is usually great! And we have very sophisticated road management too.

But when it comes to driving, it's not much fun, especially in the west, even on sundays, the major motorways are 4 - 6 lanes of massive traffic, just unbelievable.

So i usually head north or east (Germany).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2007, 12:22 PM   #382
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Trucks have been reported to be parked along the emergency lanes of 75km of the A1 between Apeldoorn and the German border in BOTH directions. Now there are also reports of trucks being parked along the emergency lanes on the A2 Eindhoven - Geleen. This situation is expected to worsen until 2200 hrs, also on other motorways near or towards the German border.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #383
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
Yeah, our pavement is usually great!
is it black enough to satisfy all?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM   #384
ChrisZwolle
Road user

all but one
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:13 PM   #385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

I didn't go to the A1 today, because it rained all the live-long day

It is reported that the line of trucks waiting for the German border was 16km at 4.30 pm, much longer than was anticipated, in May, on a similar day, the line was about 3km long.

This does not include the overcrowded surroundings of rest area's and gas stations.

All rest areas are filled now along the A7, the A1, the A12, A67 and A76 near the German border.

It is reported the emergency lanes were not enough to support all the trucks on the A1, so even the right lane was used as parking lane in the Twente region.

Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #386
Patrick
✪ DWF ✪ Alaaf! ✪

Likes (Received): 888

this is crazy! people must be happy when in 30 minutes they may drive again in Germany

I guess those are the top-selling days for the service areas there
Patrick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2007, 10:36 PM   #387
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I guess those are the top-selling days for the service areas there
I don´t think they like this either, those service areas are not made for this amount of trucks. Dutch service areas have usually not over 30 trucks, now they have to handle hundreds of trucks at the same time.

I think Germany should immediatly stop with these nonsense truck laws on holidays which are not in the weekend. Normal sunday truck limitations don´t give such problems.
Old October 4th, 2007, 06:38 PM   #388
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Kind of busy this afternoon;

A1 Amsterdam - Amersfoort
Between IC Eemnes and IC Hoevelaken 12km
Amersfoort - Amsterdam
Between IC Muiderberg and IC Watergraafsmeer 10km
A2 Eindhoven - Utrecht
Between Boxtel-Noord and the Meuse bridge 13km
Utrecht - Den Bosch
Between IC Oudenrijn and Culemborg 14km
Between IC Deil and the Meuse Bridge 13km
A9 Diemen - Alkmaar
Between Ouderkerk aan de Amstel and IC Raasdorp 13km
A10 Inner ring
Between Amstel Business Park and IC Coenplein 15km
Outter Ring
Between Osdorp and IC Coenplein 25km
A12 Utrecht - Arnhem
Between IC Lunetten and Veenendaal 10km
A13 Den Haag - Rotterdam
Between IC Ypenburg and IC Kleinpolderplein 10km
A20 Rotterdam - Gouda
Between Schiedam and IC Gouwe 12km in total
Gouda - Rotterdam
Between IC Gouwe and IC Terbregseplein 10km
A28 Utrecht - Zwolle
Between De Uithof and Leusden 12km
A50 Apeldoorn - Eindhoven
Between IC Waterberg and the Waal bridge 17km

* these are only the traffic jams over 10km.
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:13 PM   #389
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

which one is the longest motorway in the Netherlands (i mean one motorway under one "A" name) and how long it is?
x-type no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #390
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A7 is 236km long, and goes from Zaandam (just north of Amsterdam), via the "Afsluitdijk" and Groningen to the German border near Nieuweschans. However, this road has 3 "breaks", the first is the ring of Sneek, which is 2x2 with traffic lights for a couple of kilometers, the 2nd is the roundabout Joure, and the 3rd is the N7 in Groningen city, which has traffic lights at interchange Julianaplein, and also on IC Europaplein, but that is history soon.

The A2 is 213km long, from Amsterdam via Utrecht, Den Bosch, Eindhoven and Maastricht to the Belgian border just north of Liège. but has also a break in Maastricht, where it forms a 2x2 urban road with traffic lights. A tunnel is planned here, but that will take at least 10 years from now.

Another long motorway is the A28, from Utrecht via Amersfoort and Zwolle to Groningen this one is 187km long, and ends at the "interchange" Julianaplein with traffic lights at the N7.
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:26 PM   #391
go_leafs_go02

Likes (Received): 2

I was in the Netherlands and drove all throughout the whole country, and found that, even though the highways were quite busy, Congestion rarely happened.

Travelled through Rotterdam, Uthrect, Zwolle, several times.

this was in Late August.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I found traffic to be quite decent.
go_leafs_go02 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #392
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Late August is holiday season, most people are on the French beaches then.

What did you do in Zwolle?
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Chaotic evening rushhour
8 cars collide on the A16 in Rotterdam in the direction of Breda. The accident happend around 4.30 pm between interchange Terbregseplein and exit Rotterdam-Feijenoord. 5 cars had to be towed away. One person was injured. 3 lanes had to be closed, the accident caused serious delays on the A16 and A20 and A13 motorways.

Meanwhile the entire Amsterdam region came to a complete standstill, because of two accidents on the A7 north of Amsterdam just before rushhour started. The accidents caused a gridlock in the region, the A10 was on the outer loop jammed for 26km, the inner loop for 15km. Queues also existed in the region and on motorways leading to the A10, like the A1, A2 and A4, but also the A9.
After 7 pm, traffic began to flow again.

Also in the region, a truck with 25 tonnes of cheese flipped over on the N243 provincial road between Alkmaar and Hoorn, the road will be closed until 10 pm. Local detours are in effect.

In the morning, on the reconstructed N307, Kampen - Dronten, only one day after reopening, a car didn't keep to the right, causing a truck to crash on it's side, and ruining the brand new pavement. A speed repavement was in operation, less than 48 hours after reopening of this important road. The road was closed much of the morning, traffic had to detour long distances because of the lack of alternative roads in the area, causing long traffic jams on the N50 near Kampen.
Old October 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM   #394
go_leafs_go02

I was part of a Canadian Choir Tour that did 6 concerts in various churches around the country.

Just drove through the city on the A28, that's all..sometimes did some sightseeing, but then again, we usually skipped the cities. I went to Amsterdam with some family (I'm Dutch Heritage) on my own time, but they live towards Gouda, and we took the train there. But even Utrecht (where I was downtown, traffic was reasonable), and Rotterdam was likewise, though we only drove through it.
Old October 5th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #395
ChrisZwolle
Road user

eleven accidents on A2 near Eindhoven.
11 seperate accidents shortly after eachother disturbed traffic flow in the region of Eindhoven. Six personse were injured, two of them are in a bad condition. The first accident took place between a truck and a car, around 8.45 am. Shortly after that, a car crashed into the crash barrier. In the traffic jam behind this accident, 7 more accidents occurred.
On the other direction, two more accidents took place, near Eindhoven and Budel.

Traffic came to a standstill in the entire Eindhoven region, the A2 was jammed over 20km, and so were the connecting motorways A58 and A67, and the local roads in Eindhoven.

Accident with bus on A27
On the A27, an accident happened with a touring car and and multiple cars, the exact amount is unkown. Because there is no good view on how many people are injured, massive emergency services were called to the accident site.
The left lane was closed between Werkendam and the Merwedebridge. 21km of queue stood behind the accident around 4 pm, and 26km of queue in the other direction.

Meanwhile, accidents disrupt traffic flow in the region of Zwolle, a frontal crash between a truck and a car on the N50 happened between Kampen and Emmeloord. The N50 is closed in both directions, causing long detours in the region.
In the same time, an accident occured on the A28 just south of Zwolle, causing the closure of the left lane between Interchange Hattemerbroek and the IJsselbridge. 12km of stillstanding traffic is the result, with long delays. Another accident happened in the traffic jam just north of Zwolle, on the same motorway.

On the A2, an accident near Beesd caused a 37km queue from Utrecht southbound. The problem is, that this is also a detourroute for the A27 accident. On the detourroute, 10km of queue exists between Interchange Vught and Kerkdriel.
The traffic jams on the A2 merged into eachother shortly before 5 pm; 37km of queue between Interchange Oudenrijn and Interchange Hintham.

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; October 5th, 2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #396
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Our accident rates are really getting out of hand...
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 08:16 PM   #397
Jeroen669

Likes (Received): 13

Off-topic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02
(I'm Dutch Heritage)
Versta je ook Nederlands?
Jeroen669 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM   #398
go_leafs_go02

I'm taking that as "Do I speak Dutch?"

haha...nope..i was there for 2.5 weeks, was completley clueless! I didn't find I felt connected to the country (my grandparents moved to Canada in the 1950s), and actually enjoyed being in England alot better than the Netherlands. No offense, but I found Amsterdam to be very grimy, dirty and unspectacular, and the rest of the country pretty boring, not to mention ridiculously tiny!!!! (I'm Canadian, which would explain it) :P . But I was in London, England right before that, where they do speak my language (I speak English, and a bit of French), so it was easier to get along, and London is a world class city if you ask me. Amsterdam, not so much.

Still glad I went to Europe, makes me want to travel and see so much more!
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #399
ChrisZwolle
Road user

What you say, counts for me too. I don't find the Netherlands that special, pretty boring indeed, and Amsterdam? it's our capital, but putting that aside, it's nothing special to me (but it is to Chinese obviously).

About the tiny thing, some people are talking about "that long long drive to Groningen from Zwolle" (100km). Nah most are not used to distances over 80km. Not for me, i often drive 600km a day. Last week i drove 3000km
Old October 6th, 2007, 12:06 AM   #400
go_leafs_go02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriszwolle View Post
What you say, counts for me too. I don't find the Netherlands that special, pretty boring indeed, and Amsterdam? it's our capital, but putting that aside, it's nothing special to me (but it is to Chinese obviously).

About the tiny thing, some people are talking about "that long long drive to Groningen from Zwolle" (100km). Nah most are not used to distances over 80km. Not for me, i often drive 600km a day. Last week i drove 3000km
Sorry mods for taking this offtopic.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. But here, in comparison, your Amsterdam is in our way Toronto. And I love Toronto. It was my favourite city in the world to visit, though London kinda pushed that down to 2nd place, but yeah. I've been to Toronto at least a dozen times this year alone, and just love the city.

Yeah, here, we're notorious for quoting driving in hours, not distances. I have really no clue how far it is in kilometers to such and such a place, but easily could give you the route distance in how long it would take on average to get there.

But, I do love your rail system. I would die to have something like that liking up say Southern Ontario (between Toronto, Detroit, and Buffalo, linking up all the cities) But we love our cars too much!

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands