daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 4th, 2010, 02:55 AM   #4061
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The local regulations usually ban truck parking within city limits (mostly only allowed on industrial areas). Also; where do you leave hundreds of trucks? First the rest areas, which are usually quickly overloaded. Then the only option is the shoulder.
Makes sense... Still, something doesn't add: these German regulations are quite well-known beforehand. Moreover, the Netherlands is a relatively small country. Then, why don't truck drivers and logistic operators plan their trips accordingly, so valuable time (money) is not spent with the truck with a driver inside stuck near the border? I mean, why doesn't a truck who's getting something from Rotterdam to Dusseldorf doesn't delay its departure until it will likely cross the border short before it reopens?

Last edited by Suburbanist; April 4th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2010, 04:28 AM   #4062
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
why don't truck drivers and logistic operators plan their trips accordingly, ... [snip]
The photos were probably taken within an hour before the ban was lifted at 10pm.

And I don't think all the truck traffic originated in the NL and there were probably drivers who've been driving for quite some time before they got to the border. So they could plan to spend their rest period close to the border and get a head start.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #4063
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Makes sense... Still, something doesn't add: these German regulations are quite well-known beforehand. Moreover, the Netherlands is a relatively small country. Then, why don't truck drivers and logistic operators plan their trips accordingly, so valuable time (money) is not spent with the truck with a driver inside stuck near the border? I mean, why don't a truck who's getting something from Rotterdam to Dusseldorf doesn't delay its departure until it will likely cross the border short before it reopens?
They are only allowed to drive some 9 hours a day, which means that they can just about cross Germany in one shift if they start at the border. On Good Friday (a working day in The Netherlands) many trucks get their load somewhere in The Netherlands, then go to the border to wait until 10 pm and then drive through Germany during Friday night and Saturday morning in order to get through before the next driving ban starts at Sunday.

Normally they can use the hard shoulder between Oldenzaal and De Lutte for parking, but this year this was somewhat more complicated because of the roadworks on the A1 on this section. The police therefore also directed a number of trucks to the ramp at De Lutte in the direction of Oldenzaal, effectively meaning that these trucks had to go back to Oldenzaal to turn around in order to get to Germany.

One of the things that has always surprised me is that they don't use the industrial area of Gildehaus on these days. There is a lot of space to park trucks, there is a restaurant, and the trucks would only have to drive about 1500 metres to get to the exit in Germany.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 11:25 AM   #4064
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Quote:
Originally Posted by koloite View Post
One of the things that has always surprised me is that they don't use the industrial area of Gildehaus on these days. There is a lot of space to park trucks, there is a restaurant, and the trucks would only have to drive about 1500 metres to get to the exit in Germany.
Unfortunately, the Germans seem to be very unwilling to help the Netherlands in this problem. They explained that if the Dutch police was to fine everybody on the shoulder and force them into Germany, the Germans simply close the border to all traffic. The state of Niedersachsen also is not willing to cooperate with constructing a large parking facility a few kilometers into Germany to allow trucks to stop there.

What they have done so far is expanding the border parking facility, yet this one is still very small with a capacity of maybe 80 trucks. Somewhat further back in the Netherlands, between Hengelo and Oldenzaal is another, larger parking area (Lonnekermeer). They have expanded this one significantly, with parking capacity of about 250 trucks. This is enough to handle the Sunday truck bans, but not the truck bans which are during the workweek because there is much more truck traffic from Monday - Friday.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #4065
ABRob

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
There has been no release of documents concerning the N31 project near Leeuwarden so I guess we still have to wait a bit. Here are the project pages for the A4 Steenbergen, A15, A50 Ewijk-Valburg and, last but not least, Schiphol - Amsterdam - Almere (under 'D. Tekeningen, deel 1 through 57').
Nice, thanks!
So, the aqueduct near Muiden will be a bottleneck - 5+2+5, but before and after the A1 will be 6+2+6...

ABRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 06:38 PM   #4066
da_scotty

Likes (Received): 791

Well considering 5+2+5 a bottleneck goes a bit far I suppose, those lane configuration will make most Dutch drivers feel like they are driving in a Walhalla!!

considdering that 2*2 with 100 000+ AADT is not rare, I think we can't really justify the name bottleneck here
Old April 12th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #4067
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A37 motorway

Between Hoogeveen and Emmen in Northeastern Netherlands.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; May 12th, 2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old April 13th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4068
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28 Nijkerk

A few pics from A28 motorway near Nijkerk.

image hosted on flickr

These residential towers are in reality about 3 km away
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:31 AM   #4069
bijtkonijn
Biting User

Likes (Received): 124

At the A2 west of Utrecht, I saw what seems to become some kind of tunnel above ground.
Can any highway-expert here tell me what the're building there?
bijtkonijn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:34 AM   #4070
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A land tunnel so the new development of Leidsche Rijn won't be disconnected from the rest of the city. A2 will run underground there. It's more an above-grade cover than a real tunnel though.
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #4071
Wover

Likes (Received): 128

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman159 View Post
In Germany big rig trucks are banned on Sundays and holidays, including Good Friday.

(http://www.bgl-ev.de/web/fahrerinfos/fahrverbote.htm)
At least it's not as bad as trucks going to Russia .

Example from Estonia: Waiting time for trucks passing the border at the Narva border crossing: http://www.emta.ee/piir/?nolimit=1&lang=en&pp=narva

Yes, those times are in hours (current waiting time: 105 hours )
Wover no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 04:33 PM   #4072
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are currently three ecoducts under construction in the Amersfoort - Zwolle - Apeldoorn triangle, a natural area known as the "Veluwe". The A1, A28 and A50 motorways will each get one additional ecoduct.

This is the A50 ecoduct U/C near the town of Heerde.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #4073
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10258

Quote:
image hosted on flickr
How is it than in such a small and dense state as the Netherlands, some highways take up such an important amount of space ?
I would have suggested sparring up some space by making the lanes closer.

Substructure está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4074
seem
Mornar bez mora

Likes (Received): 79

This ecoduct looks pretty narrow, this supposed to be wider. Doesn`t it?

btw, Slovak ecoducts are mainly 50-100 metres wide
seem no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:23 PM   #4075
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
There are currently three ecoducts under construction in the Amersfoort - Zwolle - Apeldoorn triangle, a natural area known as the "Veluwe". The A1, A28 and A50 motorways will each get one additional ecoduct.

This is the A50 ecoduct U/C near the town of Heerde.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
I was wondering what they building there when I was standing in file on Monday's morning. Now with more concrete construction I realized there will be ecoduct But why they building now? Because this part of motorway was built before eco-terror period?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #4076
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
How is it than in such a small and dense state as the Netherlands, some highways take up such an important amount of space ?
I would have suggested sparring up some space by making the lanes closer.
It is certainly to reserve space for additional lanes in the future. This has been done sometimes also in Italy, but not very often.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #4077
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
I was wondering what they building there when I was standing in file on Monday's morning. Now with more concrete construction I realized there will be ecoduct But why they building now? Because this part of motorway was built before eco-terror period?
This section of A50 was opened in 1977. I do think adding some ecoducts is a good idea, the Veluwe is the largest forested area in the Netherlands (although mostly artificial).
Old April 28th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #4078
Tramfreak
ΔE = hv

Quote:
Originally Posted by seem View Post

This ecoduct looks pretty narrow, this supposed to be wider. Doesn`t it?

btw, Slovak ecoducts are mainly 50-100 metres wide
There is also an ecoduct near Eindhoven called 'Natuurbrug Het Groene Woud' and it's 50m wide. And another one, at Terlet, also measures 50m. So that should be the standard ecoduct width in the Netherlands.
Old April 28th, 2010, 11:54 PM   #4079
Substructure

Likes (Received): 10258

Wait, are we talking about the same kind of ecoducts ? Bridges for wild animals to cross a highway that disrupts their ecosystem ?

Because there is no way a deer is going to cross 10km or more in between two lanes to reach another place. Ever. He'd just be scared and never set a foot on the duct.
So apparently this rather looks like a waste of space, or a poor excuse for environmentalism.

Substructure está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 12:20 AM   #4080
Tramfreak
ΔE = hv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Substructure View Post
Wait, are we talking about the same kind of ecoducts ? Bridges for wild animals to cross a highway that disrupts their ecosystem ?

Because there is no way a deer is going to cross 10km or more in between two lanes to reach another place. Ever. He'd just be scared and never set a foot on the duct.
So apparently this rather looks like a waste of space, or a poor excuse for environmentalism.
The ecoducts are not primarily made for large animals like deers, and there is evidence that smaller animals do use them. But whether it is really efficient to spend money on such structures is a different question.

In some countries, such bridges can also be used by agricultural vehicles, but that is obviously not the case here.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands