daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 1st, 2010, 12:32 AM   #4101
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

They shouldn't ask VID, but Rijkswaterstaat, the Dutch Road Authority. However, I doubt if this would have really helped, since the A17 via Bergen op Zoom wasn't blocked or so, there was just no posted detour. Later the A58 near Bergen op Zoom was also jammed, as were the A2 from Eindhoven to Maastricht (half hour waiting times at the traffic signals in Maastricht).

By the way, it's funny how Belgians incorporate French spelling laws for Bergen op Zoom. We don't write it with the hyphen.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM   #4102
Glodenox

Likes (Received): 655

Reading through the article I read, I notice they said they "contacted their Dutch collegae", so I assume they contacted Rijkswaterstaat...

As for Bergen op Zoom: I guess it was just the author of that article. I've never had to write down the name before and only heard it before, so I just took over how it was written there assuming that's how you would write it.

But we do indeed do that quite often. There's a town nearby named Kapelle-op-den-bos (so with hyphens). That's some French influence indeed.
EDIT: apparently I'm wrong in that town's name after all... It's written as "Kapelle o/d bos" on signs (to save space), without hyphens.

Greetings,
Glodenox

Last edited by Glodenox; May 2nd, 2010 at 03:49 AM.
Glodenox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4103
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

I cannot speak for others, but I have a map (you know: That's a big paper with roads drawn on it, those were used in the pre-navigation era ) where you can choose your own detour. Although there was no official detour Roosendaal-Bergen op Zoom-Antwerpen, it was still possible. Why not try a detour on your own??
Old May 1st, 2010, 11:33 AM   #4104
ChrisZwolle
Road user

People don't think anymore. They just follow GPS, or even signs, without listening to traffic information or come up with a plan. Really, it's appalling.
Old May 1st, 2010, 01:06 PM   #4105
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

I can't say how many times I avoided traffic jams in Italy taking slightly longer routes the GPS wouldn't ever dream of.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:24 AM   #4106
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

I can't say how many times I drove on interesting places guided by my GPS which I wouldn't ever visited with paper map.
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:59 PM   #4107
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

FC Twente fans cause chaos on A1 this afternoon when the bus with the team arrived in Breda;

They won, the ANWB adviced not to travel at the A1. 6km traffic jam and everybody is parking his car on the highway again.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 05:32 PM   #4108
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Are they there to welcome their team home?

In the UK the police would NEVER allow people to stop on the motorway like that, it's funny seeing the Dutch police cars lined up at the end.
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM   #4109
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carldiff View Post
In the UK the police would NEVER allow people to stop on the motorway like that
Neither in the Netherlands, but what are a bunch of police officers gonna do to hundreds, if not thousands of parked vehicles on the shoulder with people walking all over the freeway? There is no way you can enforce something like that.

Later they closed all the entrances to the motorway.

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:33 PM   #4110
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

A 65-km traffic jam? What is this, France in July? Is this normal, or because of security for the Queen? (That wasn't clear to me from what was posted above.)

And, out of curiosity, is this two-week vacation one of those everything-in-the-country-shuts-down-and-everyone-goes-to-France things? Or just a school vacation? If it's a national shutdown, how many of those do you get in a year?

I love it, incidentally, how certain Europeans love to accuse Americans of overreliance on cars, yet it's in Europe that everyone feels the need to go on these mass migrations at the same time....:-)
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:37 PM   #4111
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
A 65-km traffic jam? What is this, France in July? Is this normal, or because of security for the Queen? (That wasn't clear to me from what was posted above.)
There were roadworks on the E19 freeway near Antwerp. Combine that with a mass-exodus and you've got the traffic jam from hell. I don't think the Queen has much to do with it because 1) she came by chopper and 2) the detour route was not closed or blocked, there was just no posted detour.

Quote:
And, out of curiosity, is this two-week vacation one of those everything-in-the-country-shuts-down-and-everyone-goes-to-France things? Or just a school vacation? If it's a national shutdown, how many of those do you get in a year?
It's just a school vacation where many people leave for a vacation nearby (like in Belgium or Luxembourg). The mass exodus to France happens in early July.

Quote:
I love it, incidentally, how certain Europeans love to accuse Americans of overreliance on cars, yet it's in Europe that everyone feels the need to go on these mass migrations at the same time....:-)
There is no need to accuse Americans of car reliability, because it is exactly the same in Europe. Yeah, maybe a tad less, but in general it is the same. In the US, car usage is 92%, in Europe it's 84%. Not that much of a difference.
Old May 4th, 2010, 04:19 AM   #4112
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carldiff View Post
Are they there to welcome their team home?
It was crazy, from this bridge it's still 40km to the stadium!

(Bad quality picture taken with my mobile phone)

Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2010, 08:57 AM   #4113
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Isn't that viaduct located on the border between Twente and the rest of the Netherlands? That would explain why they were waiting there.
Old May 4th, 2010, 09:24 AM   #4114
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yeah, believe it or not, those supporters painted the whole overpass red a few years ago. It's not the original color.
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:19 PM   #4115
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Neither in the Netherlands, but what are a bunch of police officers gonna do to hundreds, if not thousands of parked vehicles on the shoulder with people walking all over the freeway? There is no way you can enforce something like that.
e.g. they could make a vidio of the parked cars, and fine them...
Old May 4th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4116
H123Laci
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I don't think the Queen has much to do with it because 1) she came by chopper...
with a Harley?

Old May 5th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4117
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by H123Laci View Post
e.g. they could make a vidio of the parked cars, and fine them...
One police officer was interviewed on the Dutch radio the following morning. She was asked whether they would fine any of the cars parked on the motorway or any of the pedestrians on the motorway. Her answer: No, it was all one big party, and we will let it pass. Reporter: So you were partying together with the fans? Police: Well, the Twente police is of course also thrilled to see our favorite football team win, so we joined the party a little bit as well
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #4118
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A video of A50 in east central Netherlands (Nijmegen - Arnhem)

Old May 7th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #4119
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Yesterday AJAX won the national football title.
No main road near Amsterdam was closed.
Although the winning team was coming home by bus too... (from Rotterdam).

That puts the idiot FC Twente behaviour on the A1 in a somewhat different perspective.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #4120
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

They won the National Cup, which is a much less important than the national football competition. Furthermore, Ajax has won the cup many more times, and for FC Twente it was the first time they ever won the national title. Also: 14.000 people came to the Amsterdam Arena to celebrate the victory, whilst over 70.000 people were in Enschede to celebrate FC Twente's victory.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands