daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 6th, 2010, 10:40 PM   #4181
Мартин

Likes (Received): 4

This is the first time I see a railroad crossing on a motorway.

Last edited by Мартин; June 6th, 2010 at 11:35 PM.
Мартин no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #4182
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The same A2 in 1982!
WOW! Is that railroad still there ?

I passed over a railroad on a motorway near Miami, FL, but I think that one was not in use anymore.
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #4183
Tramfreak
ΔE = hv

That's very interesting Chris, certainly in a country which has few same level road x railway crossings. Was that a passenger line, or just a local freight connection?

How many bridges are there on the Dutch highway network that can be opened to let a ship go through? I know about Ketelbrug near Lelystad, are there more of those?
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:29 PM   #4184
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

It seems to be a small freight connection, no passenger trains.

@bogdymol: No, it was dismantled shortly after this picture was taken. Nowadays it would be unthinkable to have an railroad crossing a motorway at level in the Netherlands
Old June 6th, 2010, 11:44 PM   #4185
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramfreak View Post
How many bridges are there on the Dutch highway network that can be opened to let a ship go through? I know about Ketelbrug near Lelystad, are there more of those?
Hmmm interesting.. there are a boatload of them.

A1 Vecht Bridge
A4 Kromme Rijn Bridge
A6 Ketel Bridge, Scharsterrijn Bridge
A7 Lorenz sluice, Winschoterdiep Bridge, Hoornse Diep Bridge, Nieuweschans Bridge
A8 Coen Bridge
A9 Bridge Zijkanaal C
A10 Schinkel Bridge
A16 Brienenoord Bridge (busiest motorway in Netherlands)
A20 Giessen Bridge
A27 Merwede Bridge
A44 Oude Rijn Bridge, Kaag Bridge

I have to add some of these almost never open.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:14 AM   #4186
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

These were taken last July between Amsterdam and Venlo (can't remember the road name). I was very surprised to see a rising bridge on the motorway, but it's novel, and there were kilometres of clear motorway once the bridge went down.

Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 07:15 AM   #4187
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Мартин View Post
This is the first time I see a railroad crossing on a motorway.
There were once a BUNCH here in Wisconsin (USA), now there are two left. Both of the ones that are still active are on US 151, one at Beaver Dam:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...27595&t=k&z=15
and the other near Waupun:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...27595&t=k&z=15
Check their 'streetview' links for close-up images of them. Also, buses and trucks carrying hazardous materials are *required* to stop at both of them and safe pull-off lanes are provided.
At one time, there were five at-grade railroad crossings within about 150 km on US 41 between Appleton and Milwaukee, including one on a six-lane freeway section of it in metro Milwaukee, two others on the six-lane Madison Beltline, plus a few more.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #4188
ChrisZwolle
Road user

@ Carldiff: that's the A1 Vecht Bridge near Muiden (just east of Amsterdam). This road carries 200,000 vehicles per day. It will be replaced by a 14-lane aquaduct in the coming years as traffic is projected to grow to 300,000 vehicles per day.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:06 PM   #4189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Transport minister Eurlings signed a design-record of decision for the widening of 11 kilometers A12 Ede - interchange Grijsoord to six lanes. This is one of many projects to widen A12 from Den Haag to the German border to six lanes or more.

This project will consist of a robust widening to six lanes, no crap with shoulder running or plus lanes like the Veenendaal - Ede section. The speed limit will remain at 120 km/h. The project will cost € 126 million and is slated to start in 2012, with a completion in 2014.
Old June 7th, 2010, 11:24 PM   #4190
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Hmmm interesting.. there are a boatload of them.
A29, Volkerakbrug:

There is also the Haringvlietbrug in that same higway, only some kilometers further away. They open a few times in a day.
Old June 8th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #4191
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
A7 Lorenz sluice, Winschoterdiep Bridge, Hoornse Diep Bridge, Nieuweschans Bridge
Don't forget the swing bridges at Den Oever near the Stevin Lock. They open very often, just like the swing bridges near the other end of the Afsluitdijk near Kornwerderzand. Especially in the summer time when many small yachts are sailing from the IJsselmeer to the Wadden Sea.

There are dozens of bridges if you include the secondary highways (autowegen); just too many to count.

A number of moveable bidges in highways have been replaced by aquaducts in the province of Fryslân over the past few years. Some examples:

Highway A32 near Grou, Akwadukt Mid-Fryslân: (Click to enlarge)

There was bascule highwaybridge next to an swing railwaybridge. The highwaybridge was replaced by the aquaduct, while a new railwaybridge was constructed which is higher than the old bridge.

Highway N7 near Sneek, Geauakwadukt:

The Geauakwadukt replaces a bascule highwaybridge in the A7/N7 highway.

Ringroad-east in Sneek, Houkesloot aquaduct:

The missing link in the ringroad of the city of Sneek was solved with the Houkesloot aquaduct. Not truly a highway, but still a nice aquaduct.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2010, 05:33 PM   #4192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Transport minister Eurlings officially opened the "Randweg Eindhoven" today. The new bypass features 8 to 10 lanes, as opposed to the old 6 lane motorway. Virtually all traffic congestion has disappeared. Minister Eurlings also said he is interested in completing the Eindhoven Ring road, with an eastern bypass as well. But first: elections! (tomorrow).
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:03 AM   #4193
pilspaus

To bad Eurlings stops working as minister, he did allot of good things, dont think he will make plans for the eastern bypass at Eindhoven
pilspaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #4194
cees
billieron

Likes (Received): 10

yeah to bad....however,..Eurlings couldn't have done it without the help of the impopular balkenende with his crisis law...
at least the first biggest obstacles are taken..hope they will go along this way..no bullshit but just make it...instead of spending the money on report after report....just build something and compensate nature afterwards...thats so much cheaper and more efficient
cees no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #4195
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cees View Post
yeah to bad....however,..Eurlings couldn't have done it without the help of the impopular balkenende with his crisis law...
The Crisis and Recovery Act (Crisis- en herstelwet) is just recently adapted and became active in april 2010, so we can't see any results yet. Time will tell how useful this act will be.

The Crisis and Recovery Act is designed to shorten the time needed for conducting the required research and procedures. But actually it's something many political parties already wanted for a long time. It's more or less the successor of the Priority Act Widening of Highways (Spoedwet Wegverbreding) made by former minister Roelf de Boer of the infamous Fortuyn Party. I think the measures in the new act will be permanent, although they say it is just a temporary act. Much will depend on today's general elections. It's well known some parties are more in favour of road construction than others.

Speaking about that... I'm going to the voting station right now!
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:35 PM   #4196
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21249

Crisis always present an opportunity. I wish my home country (Italy) used the financial crisis as a way to dramatically cut red tape and "environmental assessment" and ridiculous "mitigating" exigences in road and rail projects.

So I'm glad the country I'm living in for a while took such measures.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #4197
pilspaus

Well, day of the elections is done, results are staggering, will take a long time i guess to form a new government, so i guess not much will happen in the near future, unless these desisions can be made with demissionair government.

Appart from that, does anyone have some info or updates about the widening projects of the A4 between exit Nieuw Vennep and Interchange Ypenburg? i know they are building a new aquaduct under the Ringvaart, but thats it, no other reports about that or whatsoever, think the new layout will be 2x3 instead of the mere 2x2 at the moment, personally i think 2x4 would be better, the amount of traffic will increase there, so better to build for the future i guess.
pilspaus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 10:43 PM   #4198
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tramfreak View Post
Was that a passenger line, or just a local freight connection?
The line started as part of the "Haarlemmermeer"-railroad-network. It was opened in 1915, and was everything but profitable. Passenger services had stopped already in 1950, and it was expected that a handful trains/week of freight service to some local sidings in Uithoorn and Aalsmeer wouldn't be a reason to construct a viaduct for the motorway A2, which was opened here in 1953. In 1976 the A2 was widened to 2x3 lanes, but the RR-crossing still existed because the company that shredded most abducted, amortized Dutch trains was in Mijdrecht - with a demolition transport every few weeks.
Above that regular exchange-transport for the isolated new part of the Schiphollijn meant some extra trains in 1978/1979. Because shredder Hollandia moved from Mijdrecht to the Amsterdam harbour, the line could be closed in 1986. The rails and the RR-crossing was removed in 1987.

More information (in Dutch) on the Haarlemmermeer-railtracks:
http://www.haarlemmermeerspoor.nl
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #4199
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another example of how narrow Dutch main roads are.

This is provincial highway N301 in Nijkerk. It carries over 20,000 vehicles per day. The truck has about 10 cm left between the road markings, and the "shoulders" aren't exactly generous either.
image hosted on flickr
Old June 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #4200
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Time for some Dutch pictures, taken last Tuesday on the A7, the Afsluitdijk. This dyke is 32 km long and connects the provinces of Friesland with Noord-Holland and seperates the IJsselmeer from the Waddenzee
Location on Google Maps

Pictures:

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands