daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 30th, 2010, 02:40 PM   #4301
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
It means that a 100km/h speed limit is in force
I didn't know that the first time I drove in the NL. (but I tend to go with the flow anyway)

Are there also conventional speed limit signs or just the green markings? I can't imagine all foreigners know that rule.
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #4302
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1938

Incredible... all the "low countries" are an autosnelweg!
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.

Last edited by CNGL; July 5th, 2010 at 10:17 PM.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4303
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Gotta love the "Afsluitdijk" (Closure Dike). A7 runs across it.

ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:06 PM   #4304
hofburg
middle lane hogger

Likes (Received): 464

what's the diference between water level?
hofburg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4305
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by hofburg View Post
what's the diference between water level?
Waddenzee (open sea connected to the Atlantic Ocean) on the left side and the IJsselmeer (now inland lake, former Zuiderzee) on the right.
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:20 AM   #4306
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Gotta love the "Afsluitdijk" (Closure Dike). A7 runs across it.
Yes, that's my favorite highway of The Netherlands. It's actually an old picture; they have increased the number of parking lots in front of the monument. Another picture, with the monument designed by the well-known Dutch architect Dudok. It's the wallpaper picture on my desktop...
image hosted on flickr

The Afsluitdijk was build in 1932 and has a length of 30 kilometers. The construction opened the door for the reclaiming of large parts of the Zuiderzee (Southern Sea), which has been one of the most important milestones in the Dutch history. Needles to say you have a tremendous view of the Wadden Sea and IJsselmeer when standing on top of the tower of the monument...
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:32 AM   #4307
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
Waddenzee (open sea connected to the Atlantic Ocean) on the left side and the IJsselmeer (now inland lake, former Zuiderzee) on the right.
They are usually at the same level, but the dike (levee) protects the Ijsselmeer from flooding and high tides. I hope they reclaim some land there in the future to build new cities.

As for the road, I've driven there once, loved it. However, I liked the N302 over the Markewaarddijk (Enkhuizen-Lelystaad) more: it is shorter, but runs closer to water and, being a 2-lane road only, gives a more "I'm in the middle of a giant lake" feeling. Maybe I think this, also, because I like both cities, Lelystaad is a quite modern place with new developments going on and a nice road/street pattern, and Enkhuizen has as nice waterfront/park/musem/leisure boats port.
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:39 AM   #4308
88keys

Likes (Received): 1291

I have great admiration for the remarkable design and construction of that road! Holland is amazing.
88keys no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 11:22 AM   #4309
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A truck destroyed an MTM matrix gantry on A12 west of Utrecht.
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:07 PM   #4310
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A truck destroyed an MTM matrix gantry on A12 west of Utrecht.
No wonder!!!
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:19 PM   #4311
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another pic. From the looks of it, it was a truck who was on-site working for the A12 widening. (Now you can really see how big those matrix signs are)
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:10 PM   #4312
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

I got a question about traffic rules in NL. It happened to me several times that I was puzzled with the question of right hand priority or the main/side rode distinction.

There are not many roads marked with the main road sign (yellow diamond) in NL, in their case everything is clear.

All other crossings (without light) should then be ruled by the right hand priority rule. However, there are many times small entrances to the road from supermarkets, parking places, etc. Many times it happens that I wonder, is it a road, or is it just entrance from a parkinplace (e.g. the road seems to go through the parking place)?

The problem is sometimes solved with the white horizontal triangles on the road surface, however, they are not to be seen until you get to the cross.

I was told that the difference in surface of the entering road and the entered road may play a role in distinguishing whether it is just a "not road" entrance or whether it is a road. Also the color and height of the surface might be involved. Is it really so? Does it matter if one road is from bricks and higher and the other one from asfalt? Does red color on the cross imply something?

I would like to ask someone to make it clear for me. What are the exact rules and markings for distinguishing the priority on the small roads in NL. How can I distinguish just an entrance to the road (without priority of right hand) with a normal road (that has priority of right hand).

So far my confusion makes me only drive rather slowly whenever I see some crossing and guess car from right could try to enforce its priority. On the other side, I dont try to enforce my right hand priority everywhere so bluntly. Perhaps that is the reason for this confusing situation, it makes people drive safer. However I would guess there are some rules for these situation as well, even if I dont see the red triangle.

Thanks

Last edited by Surel; July 1st, 2010 at 01:22 PM.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:20 PM   #4313
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Beyond the yellow-white priority road sign, there are basically three or four options;

1) Priority sign. Usually accompanied by the shark's teeth on the side road.

2) The so-called "inrit" or "uitrit". No shark teeth's, but a speed bump from the side road. Main road has priority.
[IMG]http://i47.************/346ncqo.jpg[/IMG]

3) The plateau. Traffic from the right has priority.
[IMG]http://i46.************/2qdn2pg.jpg[/IMG]

4) Non-plateau, non-priority road. Traffic from the right has priority
[IMG]http://i45.************/4sfv5f.jpg[/IMG]
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM   #4314
Surel

Thanks, for quick reply.

In the first case I am already on a main road, thats not a problem as the sign itself in fact substitutes for the yellow triangle.

In the case two and three, are we talking about main road? Or is it just a road without any sign prior to the crossing thus considered side road? (thus the horizontal markings makes it main road for the crossing only...)
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:40 PM   #4315
Surel

e.g. this

It is not a main road. However the citroen doesnt yield for the while car. Is it due to the fact that the other road is from bricks and higher set? (but it is either not inrit or uitrit)... I am confused .
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:49 PM   #4316
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozata90 View Post
That is why in most cases the "control" (i.e. displayed) city will be the biggest. So if you are heading from Milan to, say, Reggio nell'Emiglia, you will follow the signs for Bologna. If you are heading to Rome, than you will follow "Firenze" after Bologna. It requires some basic geographical knowledge, or a decent map. So everyone gets used to it quickly...
Sorry for the offtopic response, but how would you explain the use of Gravellona Toce against that background of signposting the largest cities en route rather than a cardinal direction?
Old July 1st, 2010, 01:50 PM   #4317
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It is constructed like an "inrit" or "uitrit", so it doesn't have priority.

However, I have to agree this approach is rather different from the rest of Europe, and therefor not very clear, I think many Dutchmen aren't completely sure about this as well.
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM   #4318
Surel

Well I am sure about that some dont know, as they could not answer me. They say, slow down a bit . Therefore thank you.

Just to make it crystal clear, on the picture number 3) with plateau. Does the plaetau make main road from the road above? Thus when approaching from the photo side I have to yield to both sides? Thus like the red triangle? Or doesnt it make in fact difference and the roads are both side roads, thus only the right hand rule prevails?

It would be pretty strange to make there a bumb in one direction then.
I did not understand your comment on that one....
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:05 PM   #4319
Surel

And the last question. The bump may take different forms, or is it just one prescribed version? I guess I have seen many bumps on crossings of different colours, different materials, different shapes... Thus do they all count as inrits of uitrits?
Old July 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM   #4320
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Most speed bumps (and plateaus) are build like this:

They are even present on some bicycle lanes.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands