daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #4381
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Yes, I notice most provincial roads are built over dikes (levees). But this is not usually the case of urban roads. So yesterday I noticed many roads in Tilburg partially flooded after the storm, and it took 3 hours after the rain stopped to have a nearby thoroughfare cleared of all standing water.
All urban roads have drainage, mostly connected to the sewer system. The problem is our sewer systems are not capable of handling 40 mm rain in just 15 minutes, which was the case in some of the severe rains this week. The sewer systems have so-called overflows (overstorten) where the water can flow directly into canals or lakes in case of heavy rainfall. The quantity of rainfall this was so extremely rare in The Netherlands that even the overflows couldn't handle the rain, causing the roads to flood.

The handling of rainfall through the sewer system is a so-called "mixed system". Because of it's limitations in case of very heavy rainfall, a new policy towards drainage has been put in place in many modern and suburban neighborhoods: a "separated system". In such system, the rainfall is no longer handled by sewer system, but is directed straight to the canals and small lakes which are present in (the vicinity of) almost any suburban neighborhood in our country.
Quote:
Guess the pumps were busy already.
The areas below sea level have buffers which are capable to "store" the rainfall. The level of the canals and lakes can fluctuate within a certain bandwith without giving problems.

I'm thinking it's even safer to live in a flat country below sea level than in the hills when it comes to heavy rainfall. The water has no big force because of the flatness, and can be perfectly managed by our system of canals and pumps. Extreme rain in the hills can lead to powerful mud flows and erosion of land, causing the collaps of buildings, bridges or roads.

Last edited by ArthurK; July 16th, 2010 at 05:53 PM.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM   #4382
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurK View Post
The handling of rainfall through the sewer system is a so-called "mixed system". Because of it's limitations in case of very heavy rainfall, a new policy towards drainage has been put in place in many modern and suburban neighborhoods: a "separated system". In such system, the rainfall is no longer handled by sewer system, but is directed straight to the canals and small lakes which are present in (the vicinity of) almost any suburban neighborhood in our country.
Yes, they're called "wadi's" and are rather similar in design to the ones you find in the Sahara or the Middle East.

Quote:
I'm thinking it's even safer to live in a flat country below sea level than in the hills when it comes to heavy rainfall. The water has no big force because of the flatness, and can be perfectly managed by our system of canals and pumps. Extreme rain in the hills can lead to powerful mud flows and erosion of land, causing the collapse of buildings, bridges or roads.
Certainly true. With few elevation differences, water is easy to manage. Another problem in hilly terrain is severe runoff that can block sewage and drainage systems, causing floods. The downside of flat terrain is that IF the levees break, large areas will flood (look at the recent floods in Poland for example). Dike and levee maintenance is of extreme importance. We cannot afford to neglect it.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #4383
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Hmm, I just got my water bill. The downside of living in the Netherlands are the huge taxes. I consumed € 33 in water. A 720% tax is added. Total bill: € 239 for a single person household.
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:05 PM   #4384
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
720% tax is added.
Though this is water tax, I wish gas stations displayed the actual cost of gas and diesel and, on a separate column, the GVW and other taxes levied on oil products. It is just plainly outrageous that government cash cow fuel this way (if at least they invested all the fuel taxes on maintenance + road expansion...).

It is a bit off-topic, Chris, but why do we pay such high tax? Is it for drainage, dike protection, Deltawerken bonds or something like that?
Old July 17th, 2010, 07:21 PM   #4385
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, it includes tax for the so-called "waterschappen" who manage the Dutch water systems. However, I have to add it's only € 54 of the € 239 bill.

I consumed € 33 in water, but they levy a € 118 fee for waste water treatment. Isn't it weird that you have to pay almost 4 times more for water treatment than you actually consumed? It is a fixed fee, based on the number of persons in your household.

All I can say this taxation doesn't actually encourage to save water. If I double my water consumption, the bill only goes up 12%.
Old July 20th, 2010, 12:45 AM   #4386
ChrisZwolle
Road user

My first HD video!

A12 around Arnhem, until just the first exit in Germany.

Double-click it to watch it on the Youtube site and select 1080p en then full-screen
Old July 20th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #4387
Sponsor

Nice sky Chris Remember to make more comfortable angle.
Sponsor está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 02:59 AM   #4388
Pansori
planquadrat

Likes (Received): 6911

Quote:
My first HD video!

A12 around Arnhem, until just the first exit in Germany.

Double-click it to watch it on the Youtube site and select 1080p en then full-screen
What do you mean by "first HD video"? I thought your older videos were in 720p HD, no? Or do you mean full HD (i.e. 1080p)? I think most people watch it in 720p since not all monitors have physical 1080p resolution so there's no use of 1080p for them. It only makes some difference if you have a 46" 1080p TV or something similar as your monitor.
Pansori no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #4389
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There are some problems with the N7 expressway near Groningen. It has subsided already 12 centimeters since opening 1.5 years ago. Subsidence is always something to count in in the Netherlands, but they didn't expect to have a 12 centimeter subsidence this fast, a 15-year time period was calculated.

The problem is certain sections of the expressway have a concrete foundation, so they don't subside with the rest of the expressway, leaving large bumps. Rijkswaterstaat, the Dutch road authority said it will be taken care of.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #4390
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurK View Post
I'm thinking it's even safer to live in a flat country below sea level than in the hills when it comes to heavy rainfall.
...and its best to live on the top of a hill... in a fortified city...

I like tophill cities and villages of istria...
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:45 PM   #4391
H123Laci
BANNED

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
My first HD video!
that was close at 4:12
H123Laci no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2010, 01:49 AM   #4392
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Nice video Chris.
In 1080p all license plates can be read
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:05 AM   #4393
ChrisZwolle
Road user

thanks I hope to get into the Randstad more this summer with my new camera. I already did most motorways in the Randstad once, but all of them at a lower resolution.

Meanwhile, some eye-candy. Interchange Ridderkerk, arguably the most impressive interchange in Europe, especially if you're coming from the massive 16-lane section from the south and take the 3-lane fly-over that rises over the interchange northern section. A 3-lane fly-over of this size is also quite rare in Europe.
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #4394
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Some of us don't have screens that can deal with that sort of thing. :-P
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #4395
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
It only makes some difference if you have a 46" 1080p TV or something similar as your monitor.
My laptop has a 17" screen with an even higher resolution: 1920x1200.
It makes a whole lotta difference!
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 02:00 AM   #4396
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Meanwhile, some eye-candy. Interchange Ridderkerk, arguably the most impressive interchange in Europe ...]
Yes, Ridderkerk is a real beauty.
To be honest, driving from the south it hardly feels like an interchange but rather more like a regular flyover or a viaduct over a local road.

Here is what Ridderkerk looks like from the road, driving east. The flyover is visible in the distance.

-------------------------

Changing the subject completely, I noticed that signage on the A10 has been partly converted to the new style (see below). Please tell me what the rules are with respect to including Exx numbers. Are they going to be above the main boards or on the main boards or both? I'd be grateful for any design rules you have drawn up. And before you say it, I too am not keen on the Exx numbers and would rather see them consigned to the bin of history.

And now, going off at a complete tangent, what's the story behind this work of art on the A37?

Drogowskaz Classic

MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #4397
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21247

A59 X A27 junction - any sight of improvements?

Guys,

Is there any improvement expected for this junction of A59 and A57 near Ooesterhout: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&hq=&...27466&t=k&z=16 ?

It is a crazy junction. The left one, giving access to local roads and a nearby town (Raamsdonskveer) is a regular junction, grade-separated. 500m ahead/before, where the highway crosses one another, there is a GRADE junction like A59 were just a local road, with traffic stops and central diverting lanes for those accessing A27 from A59 in the left (from East to North, from West to South).

Are there any plans to fix it? I've coincidentally never driven in the A59 there before, just on the A27, but I'm amazed that this type of junction has not gotten ridden of yet.
Old July 24th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #4398
koloite

Likes (Received): 1

And now, going off at a complete tangent, what's the story behind this work of art on the A37?

[/QUOTE]

I guess it's related to the zoo in Emmen. In my opinion, the best zoo in The Netherlands.
koloite no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:21 AM   #4399
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Knooppunt Hooipolder
It's called "knooppunt Hooipolder" (literally: interchange hay polder) and there are long-term plans to reconstruct this one into a regular free-flowing interchange. It will most likely be done when they are executing a widening of A27 between knooppunt Lunetten and knooppunt Hooipolder, which is currently in procedural phase.

The most recent progress in this project was the completion of the first phase of the EIS in March. The final EIS will be published in 2011, after which the record-of-decision can be taken in 2012. Construction would start in 2013, with a completion in 2018.

The project takes rather long (5 years) which is also because the Merwede Bridge near Gorinchem would have to be replaced. It is currently one of the narrowest motorway bridges in the Netherlands, it has no inside or outside shoulders, nor can trucks pass each other there. (it has been done though, but I wouldn't recommend it).

There are four alternatives in the EIS:

A: Lunetten - Hooipolder: 2x3 lanes
B: Lunetten - Everdingen: 2x4, Everdingen - Noordeloos 2x3, Noordeloos - Werkendam 2x4 and Werkendam - Hooipolder 2x3
C: Lunetten - Everdingen 4x2, Everdingen - Noordeloos: 2x3,Noordeloos - Werkendam 4x3 and Werkendam - Hooipolder 2x3
D: An elevated motorway above the existing motorway

I'm not a fan of parallel structures (local-express) with only 8 lanes. It's too sensitive to incidents and requires more space.

My alternative would be;

* Sint Annabosch - Hooipolder: 2x3 (not within the scope of this project)
* Hooipolder - Werkendam: 2x3
* Werkendam - Lunetten: 2x4
* reconstruction of interchange Gorinchem with a fly-over from Rotterdam to Utrecht.
* New 2x4 bridge across the Merwede near Gorinchem.
* completion of interchange Everdingen
* completion of interchange Hooipolder

I have to add this is a multi-billion project, either with the EIS alternatives, or my alternative.

Scope of the project:
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #4400
kanterberg

Likes (Received): 4

Where are the speed cameras?

When I drove in NL this summer I noticed the signs picturing a camera and the word control. I imagine this is a warning sign for speed cameras along the motorway? But how does it work, I couldn't actually see a single camera, just the warning signs.
kanterberg no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands