daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 24th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #4401
Eric Offereins
The only way is up

Likes (Received): 29364

Most of the time, mobile cameras are used by police. Fixed cameras are too recognizable.
Eric Offereins no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 24th, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4402
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by koloite View Post
I guess it's related to the zoo in Emmen. In my opinion, the best zoo in The Netherlands.
Correct, it's has been built so people on the A37 can notice they are in Emmen, which is known for the zoo. There were also plans to construct two butterflies, one at the Dutch/German border and one near the intersection at Holsloot but because of lack of funds, these butterflies won't appear near the A37. There are also a mammuth and a dinosaur made by the same artist next to roads in Emmen.
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #4403
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanterberg View Post
When I drove in NL this summer I noticed the signs picturing a camera and the word control. I imagine this is a warning sign for speed cameras along the motorway? But how does it work, I couldn't actually see a single camera, just the warning signs.
They indicate there can be controls. They're more like motto signs than that they actually warn of speed controls ahead.

However, if you see such a sign, combined with "trajectcontrole", make sure to stick within 5% of the speed limit, as they will measure your average speed over a longer distance (usually 3 - 7 km). You cannot see these cameras as they are fixed to the back of an overhead gantry.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:13 PM   #4404
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Dit someone mention Ridderkerk interchange? I have visited the interchange and surreoudings by bike last Tuesday. Hereby some pictures.

First some pictures of the A16 north of Ridderkerk.

And then some pictures from Ridderkerk interchange (there is a good cyclepath 'through' the interchange).

Old July 24th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #4405
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Off-topic question, and reeeally off-topic observation:

Question (and I apologize that it's off-topic, but I have a Dutch-language question, and how often do I find so many Nederlanders in one place?) -

On Chris' last map, there's a town called Wijk bij Duurstede. I'm often unsure of where to stress Dutch place names, and when there are a series of E's it's even less clear to me. Have I read that Enschede is pronounced "en-sch'-DEE"? (If ' means a schwa sound, "ee" the long E of "zee," and capitalization means that's the stressed syllable) I'm guessing the "-beke" in Aalbeke and Merelbeke is pronounced "BEE-k' " But is Wijk bij Duurstede "DUUR-st'-dee," "duur-STEE-d'," or "duur-st'-DEE"?

Is there a good source for pronunciation of this sort of thing? When I have doubts in French, I look at the "Robert encyclopdique des noms propres."

(I taught myself Dutch, more or less, from books, after finding myself unexpectedly spending an evening and night in Ostend and discovering that an English-speaker who'd studied German could understand a lot).

Bedankt.

The really off-topic remark: While I was on the previous page, I picked up the phone and ordered a pizza. When I went to the next page, a minute later, I got a banner ad for Dominos. First thought - what, Google can tell what we're doing off line now?
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #4406
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's pronounced Wijk bij Duuur-st-duh
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:00 PM   #4407
Planen B

Likes (Received): 1

Of your examples I pronounce it "duur-STEE-d'. That's not to say that it's certaintly correct though :p

As for a definite source on correct pronunciation, I do not know of one myself Let me know if you find one!
Planen B no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM   #4408
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

Wikipedia can help you in this case: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._Duurstede.ogg
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #4409
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
Wijk bij Duurstede.
FYI: "Stede" is an old Dutch word for stad (city). Wijk bij Duurstede is named after an ancient city called Dorestad which was destroyed by the Vikings. Therefore a new settlement has been set up, called "District near Dorestad", or "Wijk bij Duurstede". But "Wijk" could also be an ancient Dutch word for "Wik" which should be inham of inlet in English. So, Inlet near Dorestad.

When are you coming to the Netherlands for some addtional lessons? (like: Scheveningen, Hendrik-Ido-Ambacht, Tytsjerksteradiel, but also Ede and Epe etc.)
Old July 26th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #4410
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
On Chris' last map, there's a town called Wijk bij Duurstede. I'm often unsure of where to stress Dutch place names, and when there are a series of E's it's even less clear to me. Have I read that Enschede is pronounced "en-sch'-DEE"? (If ' means a schwa sound, "ee" the long E of "zee," and capitalization means that's the stressed syllable) I'm guessing the "-beke" in Aalbeke and Merelbeke is pronounced "BEE-k' " But is Wijk bij Duurstede "DUUR-st'-dee," "duur-STEE-d'," or "duur-st'-DEE"?
I hope the following will be understandable for English speaking persons:

Wijk bij Duurstede: Wike--buy--Dure-stay-dh (wike like bike; ending with schwa)
Enschede: An--sjh-day
Aalbeke: Awl--bay-kh (ending with schwa)
Merelbeke: Mih-rull--bay-kh (u in rull=schwa; ending with schwa)

Last edited by aswnl; July 26th, 2010 at 12:40 AM.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:15 AM   #4411
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

A9 X A22 X A308

I have a question: is there any particular reason for the "bump" in the network represented by the A22 near Beverwijk and Velsen?

I mean: more freeways are almost always better then less freeways, and I love the idea of having two parallel ones.

Still, the strange A22/A9 configuration appears to me like a redundant-of-sorts, as there are two very close tunnel crossing under the Nordzeekaneel (I see their names as Wikertunnel and Velsertunnel). Between the enclosed "lace" formed by them, there is not a big area and looking on Google Maps I've found just an industrial park between both (and a low density residential development).

As the Dutch appear not to love spending extra money on roads, then why have they constructed two parallel roads under the channel, building the (expensive, I assume) shortcut the A9 represents? Was there because maybe the approaches are wider than 2X2 but the tunnels aren't, so when they expended the carriageways they decided to built a second 9-km stretch instead of just widening the tunnel?

Last edited by Suburbanist; July 27th, 2010 at 10:21 AM.
Suburbanist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 10:30 PM   #4412
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

The current A22 used to be the A9. The Velsertunnel (current A22) has been in use since 1957, the Wijkertunnel (current A9) since 1996.

The Velsertunnel is a tunnel with 3 tubes (2 for road traffic, 1 for rail traffic). I believe that the choice not to widen the road in the existing spot has several reasons:

1. Technicly complex because of the railway tunnel on the west side, and a lack of space to expand on the east side. But it would have probably been possible.

2. A way to seperate local traffic using the Beverwijk and IJmuiden exits (busy, with lots of traffic related to the Corus steel mills), and the A208 interchange from through traffic.

3. The Wijkertunnel was built by a private consortium. The Dutch government pays this consortium toll for every car that passes through the tunnel for the first 30 jears. This would have been more complex if the tunnel were combined with the Velsertunnel.

By the way: The A9 used to have a slightly different course near Beverwijk. Between exits Heemskerk and Beverwijk it ran directly next to the railway tracks, where there is now a VINEX neighborhood.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #4413
aswnl

The Velsertunnel also serves a lot of local traffic, and it meant that until 1996 the Velsertunnel was high in the charts of traffic jams. For the rest woutero has already given the answer.
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM   #4414
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

I really enjoyed reading about past problems with motorways and traffic jams across countries Comparing and finding resolutions, managing the best option is part of my fascinating so if you have more stories like this with The Velsertunnel please post here also Let others know more about your country
Moving motorway A9 was because of terrain needed for real estate issue or for more comfortable driving on A9?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #4415
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Good news, the record of decision for the A50 widening west of Arnhem has become irrevocable. No further appeals can be made, and the widening has got it's final go-ahead. The A50 will be widened to six lanes between interchanges Valburg and Grijsoord.

The repaving of A1 in eastern Netherlands (interchange Buren to German border ~22 kilometers) will be finished on July 30th, several months ahead of schedule. The old concrete pavement has been replaced with porous asphalt.

The concrete on that section wasn't particularly old, 20 - 22 years at most, but most slabs were cracked because of an improper foundation. Back in the late 1980's when this part of A1 was completed, significant truck traffic was not calculated, because the DDR still existed, not to mention there wasn't any truck traffic to Poland like there is today.
Old July 28th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #4416
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
Good news, the record of decision for the A50 widening west of Arnhem has become irrevocable. No further appeals can be made, and the widening has got it's final go-ahead. The A50 will be widened to six lanes between interchanges Valburg and Grijsoord.
Great!! less time spend in a car commute to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The repaving of A1 in eastern Netherlands (interchange Buren to German border ~22 kilometers) will be finished on July 30th, several months ahead of schedule. The old concrete pavement has been replaced with porous asphalt.

The concrete on that section wasn't particularly old, 20 - 22 years at most, but most slabs were cracked because of an improper foundation. Back in the late 1980's when this part of A1 was completed, significant truck traffic was not calculated, because the DDR still existed, not to mention there wasn't any truck traffic to Poland like there is today.
Yes, that time Europe was divided and this situation was sick for everyone...But why this temporary situation lasted so long...?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2010, 04:39 PM   #4417
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

1. Are there any estimated date for the same "irrevocable record of decision" in regard of the A4 gap between Delft and Scheidam?

2. What about the A2 tunnel in Maastricht?

3. Is there any chance we are going to see, again, new concrete motorways built in Netherlands, or has enhanced asphalt (that one with absorbs water and makes less noise) has become the norm?
Old July 29th, 2010, 10:14 AM   #4418
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
1. Are there any estimated date for the same "irrevocable record of decision" in regard of the A4 gap between Delft and Scheidam?

2. What about the A2 tunnel in Maastricht?

3. Is there any chance we are going to see, again, new concrete motorways built in Netherlands, or has enhanced asphalt (that one with absorbs water and makes less noise) has become the norm?
1) I think things have been delayed with the collapse of the last cabinet. Originally, the design-ROD was to be published in the first half of 2010, but I haven't seen any. Original plans called for a ROD in late 2010, with a start of construction in 2011 and completion in 2015.

2) the design-ROD has been published on July 2nd.

3) Not on motorways. Concrete is now exclusively used for traffic lights to prevent rutting and bumps. You can sometimes find concrete back-roads.
Old July 29th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #4419
aswnl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Moving motorway A9 was because of terrain needed for real estate issue or for more comfortable driving on A9?
For relieving traffic and for creating a new housing project, directly situated to a railway station. There hasn't been a real estate component in the project itself.

Perhaps important to tell that the original plans did forsee a Superhighway from Rotterdam to Alkmaar, only having interchanges with other motorways and not with normal roads. This should have been the A16 north of Rotterdam. In 1974 a decesion had been taken to build the Wijkertunnel as part of "rijksweg" 16. However, this superhighway didn't survive the new roadpolicies of the SVV in 1981. The northern part of rw16 had been cancelled between Rotterdam and Leiden, and between Heemskerk and Alkmaar. The part inbetween, from the Haarlemmermeer to Heemskerk, got the number 22, which had become obsolete earlier.

In the 80's a further decision had been taken for another alignment of rw22 east of Heemskerk, and circa 1990 a solution had been found for financing the tunnel. The new road was build as A22, but during construction the idea popped up to make the new tunnel part of the existing A9, leaving the old A9 the number A22 which had been reserved for the Wijkertunnel-motorway.
Old July 31st, 2010, 02:21 PM   #4420
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Good news for drivers on A4 motorway between Den Haag and Amsterdam.

Last night, the new aquaduct under the "ringvaart" canal opened to traffic. Compared to the old 4-lane-no-shoulder-accident-hotspot-aquaduct, this one is a badass 27 meter wide aquaduct. It will host 3 lanes, but it has space to accomodate at least 6 lanes with full shoulders (in one direction). Until late 2010, the old existing aquaduct will be renovated, with temporary two-way traffic in the new aquaduct.

In late 2010, this bottleneck will be opened with 2x3 lanes to accomodate already 100,000 vehicles per day. It is interesting to note that the old aquaduct will be used in one direction, and will feature a roadway split because of the center pillars.

If necessary, they could replace the old aquaduct with a similar new aquaduct, generating enough space to widen A4 to 2x5 or 2x6 lanes if necessary. But that would be a long-term project, although I'm afraid the 2x3 lanes will soon be filled with traffic from A44 and N207.

New aquaduct:

Old aquaduct (to be used in one direction after renovation)

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands