daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 13th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #4521
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
What happened to exit 2?
I want to see the video at 240p, because even at 360p gets me laggy because of traffic!
I think AMC is exit 2 but to take exit 2 you have to follow the lanes for A9 after exit Abcoude.

Sponsored Links
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:09 PM   #4522
Des
Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A2 Utrecht - Amsterdam "Superhighway"

Let me present the awesomest motorway in the Netherlands.

tip: play it on youtube (double-click video) and select 720 or 1080p and watch it full-screen!
Very nice Chris!
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #4523
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
A2 Utrecht - Amsterdam "Superhighway"

Let me present the awesomest motorway in the Netherlands.

tip: play it on youtube (double-click video) and select 720 or 1080p and watch it full-screen!
Great video Chris! Looking at freeways of The Netherlands always reminds me of the Stockton/Sacramento area of California. Now, if only our freeways looked as pleasing to the eye as Dutch ones!... Sigh.
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 01:37 PM   #4524
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21252

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyCastle View Post
Great video Chris! Looking at freeways of The Netherlands always reminds me of the Stockton/Sacramento area of California. Now, if only our freeways looked as pleasing to the eye as Dutch ones!... Sigh.
On the other side, I barely dream of seeing any typical American freeway moving fleet on Chris Dutch highway videos... I've never seen a Suburban, Trailblazer or 4Runner on our roads...
Old August 16th, 2010, 04:38 PM   #4525
JeremyCastle

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
On the other side, I barely dream of seeing any typical American freeway moving fleet on Chris Dutch highway videos... I've never seen a Suburban, Trailblazer or 4Runner on our roads...
You occasionally see one here in the UK. In Norway, I saw quite a few. There has to be some in The Netherlands somewhere. :-)
JeremyCastle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #4526
snowman159

Likes (Received): 3

I'm surprised to see that it narrows down to only two lanes as it's approaching the A10. Isn't that a problem during morning rush hours? Was that a deliberate attempt to steer traffic flows in the area or were there other reasons?

PS: really awesome video, btw
snowman159 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #4527
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19415

The idea is to widen A2 within interchange Holendrecht to 2x5 lanes. However, this will consist by adding a 3rd lane from A9 to the Ouderkerk exit, and it looks like that small 2-lane section will remain at the northern section of interchange Holendrecht. Apparently, 2 lanes is considered enough to handle the traffic flow towards Amsterdam.

The intersecting A9 will be widened to 2x4 lanes towards Schiphol (west), and 2x5 lanes to Diemen (east).

It has to be noted though, that most major job centers in the Amsterdam region are south of the North Sea Canal / IJ River. Therefor, the amount of through traffic from Utrecht to the north of Amsterdam or further is pretty limited. A9 will absorb a lot of traffic coming from Utrecht.

However, my gut feeling is that 2 lanes will not be enough in the further future, especially not with all the developments along A10 in the South of Amsterdam. However, it also has to be noted the full 5-lane capacity will not be used for at least another 5 - 10 years.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #4528
Des
Traveller

As Chris says a lot of traffic on the northbound A2 heads towards Amstelveen and Schiphol Airport via the westbound A9. So the northbound 2 lanes are hardly a problem currently.

Southbound the 2 lanes at KP Holendrecht are a bigger problem and causes jams on a daily basis.
Old August 23rd, 2010, 10:58 AM   #4529
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

The section Holendrecht-Amstel will be a problem soon after the Utrecht land tunnel will be opened. However there's no money to start a project. Although with simple adjustments of only M€ 10 (including an EMA for 1000 metres of real widening with 1 lane) this could be solved. Well, I think the money comes after all when the problem will arise visibly...
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2010, 05:53 PM   #4530
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A5 Amsterdam

The first of a series of lateral beams of the A5 will be placed tonight. The first one is 27 meters long, and the longest constructed so far in the Netherlands. Dozens more will follow suit. They will bear the 3.3 kilometer long elevated motorway in the industrial west of Amsterdam. It will be the longest elevated motorway in the Netherlands. Completion is planned for 2012, with a full opening in 2013 because the old Coen Tunnel will have to be renovated once the second one is completed.
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4531
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Asphalt types in the Netherlands.

image hosted on flickr

asfalt by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Green = types of porous asphalt
Blue = regular dense asphalt
Purple = concrete

As you can see there isn't much concrete (the A1 section has just been repaved with asphalt). The majority of the motorway mileage has porous asphalt.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:34 PM   #4532
Fargo Wolf
Resident Smartass.

Likes (Received): 17

Porous asphalt? What is that?

Here we have asphalt, concretic (dunno what that is, but have seen it in tenders for paving contracts put out by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure) and sealcoat (chip seal) Some roads are still gravel/dirt. Rougher than s**t too, but those are mainly forestry/logging roads.
Fargo Wolf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:37 PM   #4533
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Porous asphalt has superior drainage and noise features, but is more expensive and less durable. Apart from the Netherlands, it's also used extensively in France and Italy. Other countries do not use it as much.
Old August 26th, 2010, 04:47 PM   #4534
Bibelo

Likes (Received): 140

porous asphalt is type kind of asphalt that contains bigger granulate (stones) and thus bigger voids in between them. We call it 'very open asphalt concrete' ('zeer open asfalt beton' (ZOAB).
This type of asphalt reduces noise considerable and gives water more room to flow away and thereby reduces dangerous situations with hydroplaning or aquaplaning.
Bibelo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #4535
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibelo View Post
This type of asphalt reduces noise considerable and gives water more room to flow away and thereby reduces dangerous situations with hydroplaning or aquaplaning.
And, also important, reduces splash to near-zero, thus avoiding that capacity decreases during precipitation on our saturated roads.
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:20 PM   #4536
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Flooding on A1 near Oldenzaal.

Old August 26th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #4537
piotr71

Quote:
Porous asphalt has superior drainage and noise features, but is more expensive and less durable. Apart from the Netherlands, it's also used extensively in France and Italy. Other countries do not use it as much.
I think this kind of asphalt is extensively used in GB. There is significant difference, though in noise level between recently laid-out sections comparing to older ones.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4538
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

In Italy, Autostrade per l'Italia claims to have covered with porous asphalt 81.6% of its network
Quote:
corresponding to 100% excluding tunnels, mountain sections and sections under widening works.
Autostrade per l'Italia does not run all Italian autostrade, so there are sections where porous asphalt is not laid down yet.

However, you can really see the difference, expecially in terms of splashes, as Chris previously said.
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #4539
Carldiff

Likes (Received): 0

Just got back from Amsterdam, the new section of the A2 is cool, on the way five lanes were open and we were very late because of the French N roads, so we bombed along the A2 to make time up around Utrecht, the left two lanes were deserted. On the way back only three lanes were open and there was a long traffic jam; it took five hours in all to reach Calais because of delays around Amsterdam, Utrecht and Antwerp.
Carldiff no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #4540
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You do know the 100 km/h limit is often enforced? Unfortunately, it can cost you quite some money to "bomb along A2".

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands