daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4621
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 34

^Wish the M25 had surfaces like that! The recent widenings seem to have been opened but the surfaces are very piecemeal and rubbish.
tripleseis no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:05 PM   #4622
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

A1 Hengelo-Germany

Chris and I made a small trip today, to have a look at the A1. This section of the A1 was one of the last stretches of concrete motorway in the Netherlands. It has recently been repaved and it has been open for a few months now. I've made a selection of 20 pics, if you want to see the complete set (44 pictures), look here.

1. Turning eastwards onto the A1 from the A35.

image hosted on flickr

A35 in The Netherlands by Timon91, on Flickr

2. We're going underneath the railway track Almelo-Hengelo.

image hosted on flickr

A1 in The Netherlands by Timon91, on Flickr

3. Viaduct.

image hosted on flickr

4. Another one.

image hosted on flickr

5. Exit Hengelo-Noord.

image hosted on flickr

6. Many parked trucks at rest area Lonnekermeer.

image hosted on flickr

7. The road quality is excellent

image hosted on flickr

8. Exit Oldenzaal, zoomed in.

image hosted on flickr

9. Exit Oldenzaal-Zuid.

image hosted on flickr

10. The border is about 10 km away.

image hosted on flickr

11. Leaves.

image hosted on flickr

12. Ecoduct.

image hosted on flickr

13. Today is not the busiest day of the year.

image hosted on flickr

14. Crossing the Hengelo-Bad Bentheim railway line.

image hosted on flickr

15. Exit De Lutte, the last one before the border.

image hosted on flickr

16. The border is getting close now.

image hosted on flickr

A1 in the Netherlands by Timon91, on Flickr

17. The Bundespolizei is waiting for you behind the viaduct.

image hosted on flickr

18. At the border. The difference in road quality is very well visible. Smooth asphalt on the Dutch side, old concrete on the German side.

image hosted on flickr

Dutch-German border near De Lutte by Timon91, on Flickr

19. This shit.

image hosted on flickr

A30 in Germany by Timon91, on Flickr

20. Road markings have completely disappeared on some places.

image hosted on flickr

A30 in Germany by Timon91, on Flickr

That's it again, I hope that you liked it!
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:28 PM   #4623
PLH

Likes (Received): 2823

Sorry to say that, byt for me the German section has far more soul than the Dutch one which is apparently being repaved every two weeks
PLH no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM   #4624
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

We have too much money

Anyway, this concrete section was between 18 and 25 years old, so not very old, but I've read they'd used inferior concrete, not reinforced, because at that time, the late 80's, early 90's, Germany was still partitioned in East and West Germany, not to mention the Iron Curtain, so truck traffic back in those days was nothing like it is today.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #4625
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

The Dutch sections look more maintained when I look at the median and side embankments, the German sections look less maintained by comparison.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 03:35 AM   #4626
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

That's maybe because the grass sections within the right-of-ways of Dutch highways (and most other roads) are being mowed twice a year. The embankments and ditches also get extensive maintenance, although it's very expensive. But it's inevitable as good drainage is very important in a flat and densely populated country like The Netherlands.

In Germany, many highways have bushes and even small trees in their medians, something unthinkable on Dutch highways. The same difference can be seen with the right-of-ways of railroads: in The Netherlands, four meters out of the tracks will be cleared, and there is always a ditch or a fence to prevent unauthorized access to the right-of-way.

I agree the German autobahns have much more "soul". In fact, The Netherlands is one big well-planned park with almost no rough terrain or abandoned buildings or infrastructure. This makes our landscape a bit dull. In my opinion, the Dutch "planning mania" is a little bit over the top, with the strictly planned suburbs as the best example. It's funny you can always inmediately notice the differences when you cross the border.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM   #4627
Highwaycrazy

Likes (Received): 0

I assumed having bushes/small trees on grass would mean increased drainage due to their dependence on water to grow? It's actually better to see the medians and embankments maintained like in the NL. Having lots of overgrowth restricts the view and decreases a drivers judgment to re-gain control in the event their car accidentally enters the median at 120km/h. That's why wide medians are sometimes better than overgrown ones. Hitting a medium sized tree trunk would be like hitting a brick wall.

I agree, the maintenance cost would be quite high: I guess that would explain why road tax is over EUR 1,000 per annum in the NL. That's one of the highest rates I've ever seen.
Highwaycrazy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #4628
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A29 Vaanplein - Barendrecht

The record of decision to widen the southbound carriageway of A29 from 3 to 4 lanes has become irrevocable today. A rare situation emerged that not a single appeal was made. It has to be noted this project is not very spectacular, the merging lane from interchange Vaanplein will be extended to exit Barendrecht by some 650 meters, so that traffic from A15 can flow uninterrupted with 2 lanes towards the south.

Traffic has increased significantly on this part of A29 in recent years, due to the development of the Rotterdam suburb of Barendrecht, which grew by 10,000 houses in the last 10 years, nearly doubling the population.

Approximately 101,000 vehicles use this section of A29 on a daily basis.
Old October 5th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #4629
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another A2 video, it just doesn't stop.

Interchange Deil -> Interchange Hintham, showcasing the recently widened A2 to six lanes. It used to be the worst congestion spot in the whole country, now it is traffic jam-free, even at rush hour. Another big thumbs up for Rijkswaterstaat!

Old October 5th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #4630
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It has been speculated Mrs. Melanie Schultz will be the next minister of waterworks and transportation. She was already secretary of transportation in two tenures between 2002 and 2007. She belongs to the liberal VVD party, generally viewed as the most pro-road party in the Netherlands, so that seems to be good news to keep the pace minister Eurlings has started with the massive overhaul of Dutch motorways.
Old October 8th, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4631
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It seems fairly certain that Mrs. Melanie Schultz will be the next minister of transportation. The new ministry will be a merger of infrastructure, environment and spatial planning, the former ministries of V&W and VROM. This could be interesting, as not two, but only one minister need to agree on highway construction. This could speed up road projects, as decision can be made faster.
Old October 8th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #4632
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6169

It's about time they merged those two. So many of their departments were already overlapping. The civil servants working there had each other on speed dial for goodness' sake
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #4633
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

I dont know if merging enviroment ministry with construction or industry character ministries is desirable... sure it could speed up things. But it somehow jeopardize the point of existence of this ministry at all. The ministry of envirement mostly should stand from definition against other ministries and oppose their projects (however in constructive way) as well as ministry of finance (or treasury) should oppose the projects of other ministries from the financial point of view...
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #4634
ChrisZwolle
Road user

There was never a separate environment ministry in the Netherlands. It is currently a branch of VROM (Housing, Spatial planning and Environment), which is a small ministry compared to Traffic & Waterworks (2,000 vs 9,000 employees).

Merging these ministries will not compromise environmental matters, as European and Dutch law still has to be followed, but merely speed up decisive processes as only one minister need to sign legislature.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:07 PM   #4635
Surel

Oh, interesting... Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that the countryside is industrial, urban or cultural... not really much of environment that would need to be protected? So yeah in reality its more spatial planning...

Its anyway funny, some time ago I thought that I am safe from politics for real in NL, but it hounts me now too as I start to read the dutch news... :O.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:29 PM   #4636
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Well, I think you can conclude all of the Netherlands is more or less artificial. Most of our natural areas are build by the Dutch government. They actively buy farmland to turn into natural areas. If trees need to be cut for any development (highway, rail, housing, industry, etc) they need to be compensated elsewhere, so the total amount of surface area with trees will not decrease.

Sometimes this controlling of all aspects of the Netherlands is a bit over the top in my opinion.
Old October 8th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #4637
Coccodrillo

Likes (Received): 768

Recently and for a short period of time Italy splitted the minister of transportation in one dedicated to transportation and one to infrastructures.

für Güter die Bahn ~ pour vos marchandises le rail ~ chi dice merci dice ferrovia
Coccodrillo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #4638
Surel

I concluded that after some time around . But The Ilands and Waterzee still stand for some nature . I see no other way around the tighter control with the given geographical and social conditions of the country. I am of the impression it is still much better than New York and the surroundings .
Old October 9th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #4639
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I concluded that after some time around . But The Ilands and Waterzee still stand for some nature . I see no other way around the tighter control with the given geographical and social conditions of the country. I am of the impression it is still much better than New York and the surroundings .
The problem is not with control, but overcontrol... The real state property system in Netherlands is too confusing, the right to develop your own land plot simply doesn't exist, for instance.
Old October 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #4640
Surel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
The problem is not with control, but overcontrol... The real state property system in Netherlands is too confusing, the right to develop your own land plot simply doesn't exist, for instance.
I dont know what you mean with the right to develop your own plot... If you mean, that you cannot just simply decide to do on the land you own whatever you want, but that you have to first bargain with the authorities... well this is quite common in the whole Europe I guess. I would say, that this should be understandable, especially in the land, which own existence is depending on carefull planning and land shaping. Without the hundreds years old planning the whole country would have been already washed away, or so hugelly reshaped that you wouldnt recognize it... However, if you would want to have the right to "freely develop" your plot you could travel to countries as e.g. Bangladesh for comparison.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands