daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 19th, 2010, 08:35 PM   #4721
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19427

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
I'll post some pictures of left shoulder running later.
A1 Deventer-Oost - Interchange Beekbergen

The A1 is one of the most important transit routes of the Netherlands. This particular section carries up to 90.000 vehicles per day, including 20.000 trucks, one of the highest truck counts in the country. In 2006, left shoulder running was constructed in the median. The lanes are slightly more narrow than the general-purpose lanes, and is limited at 100 km/h during rush hour.

These pictures start at Deventer-Oost, and progress west to interchange Beekbergen near Apeldoorn. Although traffic may appear light at times, it was necessary to have 3 lanes open. The traffic waves are metered by trucks further east, so you'll have waves of traffic every time, instead of a steady flow.

The pictures were taken around 13.30 hours.

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 19th, 2010, 09:02 PM   #4722
x-type
con los terroristas

Likes (Received): 3448

why is left lane divided with different (longer) lines?
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:08 PM   #4723
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

To show it is just an additional lane ("plus-lane"), which is not as width as regular lanes.

I doubt we should see plus-lanes as "shoulder running", as those lanes were not intended to be shoulders. They were constructed for the purpose of being an additional lane, narrow and therefore only opened if needed and with reduced maximum speed.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2010, 10:33 PM   #4724
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The closest English equivalent of "spitsstrook" is "shoulder running", being used in both the United Kingdom and the United States. In general media, Rijkswaterstaat now advertises the "plusstrook" as a "spitsstrook", because people didn't understand the meaning, because their actual usage is the same (a lane, being a shoulder or additional left lane that can be opened to traffic if traffic volumes exceed 3,000 vehicles per hour per direction).

The "plusstrook" or "plus lane" is Netherlands-specific, as far as I know. Germany and Italy use shoulder running as well, but only on the actual shoulder. The Dutch created a left shoulder for the same purpose, so a right shoulder remains available. This is in fact just a road widening, but due to procedures and regulation, cannot proceed as a full widening.

The "plus lane" varies in appearance, and vary from 2 tot 3 meters wide. As far as I know, the plus lanes on the A28 motorway through Zwolle are the narrowest, and the ones on A1 Deventer - Apeldoorn are among the widest. The Netherlands is currently slowly moving away from plus lanes, and is more and more investing in full widenings because a) they cost just as much and b) legislation and regulation have been eased (air quality in specific) so that full widenings with permanent lanes are now a better option than plus lanes. Only some specific cases still receive plus lanes (especially A12).
Old November 23rd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #4725
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Nice aerial I found of interchange Beekbergen (A1/A50 near Apeldoorn metropolis)
Old November 23rd, 2010, 09:53 PM   #4726
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Shoulder running in operation on A1 motorway; from interchange Hoevelaken to exit Barneveld. 105.000 vehicles use this motorway per day. There is only shoulder running in the eastbound direction because the Hoevelaken cloverleaf cannot handle additional traffic from a 3rd lane during rush hour.

image hosted on flickr

A1-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-9 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-11 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A1-12 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #4727
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21257

Road trip report

Today I took advantage of a car rental voucher with incredible conditions without rent itself, and then I took a road trip (more will come tomorrow and the day after).

Because most of NL highways are well covered by other forummers with far better photo abilities/resources than me, I'll limited, in regard of highways, to some interesting spots. Then, I'll create other posts for non-highway sectors I drove by.

Sorry for the panel reflex, the position of the sun this time of they year is just not good enough.

My route can be seen in Google Maps.

We start with A59 near Walwijk. It has some substandard sectors.

As we approach Den Bosch, the highway is called Ring 's-Hertogenbosch, but only part of the ringoad is built for expressway (let alone motorway) standards

From Tilburg to Utrecht there are two main routes with similar distances: via A27 or A2. This time, I took A2, entering it in Den Bosch:

Knnoopunt Empel

A2 is very busy, even in the middle of a winter weekday, so its 3 lanes per direction help a lot

Bridge over Maas. Notice how the weather is changing constantly. The sign on the left instruct drivers to leave a corridor for emergency vehicles in case of traffic jams

Approach A2 x A15 intersection (Knoppunt Deil). The main freight railway crosses over A2 in the same spot, but is not that visible. The interchange is very modern with collector/through design. It is not as good as a stack interchange, but reduces waving a lot.

I parked the car in the shoulder of the through northbound lanes

Knoppunt Everdrigen, with no waving at all (A2 x A27). I guess it ought to be one of the busiest in the country. Here I took right for A27.

Last exit from A27 to Utrecht, to the north sector of the ringroad (Utrecht has more of a "triangle" formed by this ringroad, A2 and A27.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:27 AM   #4728
Suburbanist
on the road

Road trip report (N701)

Here we're approaching Knooppunt Eemes (A27 x A1). A28 was so congested that variable signs in Utrecht suggested drivers to Amersfoort to take the far longer A27 + A21 east than the more direct A28 route.

Many wind turbines near A27, near Eemes

Approaching the end of A27 in Almere Buiten. The highway ends on A6.

From Almere Buiten I took N701, a very nice and odd 1+1 expressway/road that follows over the Oosvaarderdijk, a dyke created in the 60's to separate the Makermeer and drain the Flevopolder where the new cities of Almere and Lelystad (among others) were built

East of N701 there is a highly valued ecological reserve: the Oostvaarderplassen, which is essentially a polder that was contained on its borders but not drained. Roadside landscape is beutiful:
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_Bu7OVagAQz0/TO...0/PB230052.JPG

There are some parking areas and vantage poins on N701

Sometimes N701 is surrounded by water in both sides. Here the view from another roadside stop.

Wind was blowing strong, and there are no guad-rails or barriers whatsoever

We reached Lelystad, near the major Batavia Stad retail center, an area full of kitsch-fake buildings very popular with bargain-seekers. To the left we go to Enkhuizen, hold on couple minutes for the next post.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:37 AM   #4729
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Illegal use of shoulder = € 130 fine

(taking a photo from the shoulder would be considered illegal use of the shoulder).
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:53 AM   #4730
Suburbanist
on the road

Over the dykes

I wanted to drive, on the same day, over both major dykes on what was once an ocean bay that reached Amsterdam before they dammed it twice, creating the IJsselmeer and the Markermeer (which was supposed to be totally drained and reclaimed, though only Flevopolder was actually constructed).

There are 2 pairs of sluice gates on each extremity of the dyke that separates the Markermeer (on thel left on my photos) from IJsselmeer (on the right). Over the Houtribdijk runs N302, connecting Lelystad to Ennkhuizen. Here are the Lelystad gates:

Same gated viewed from a dead-end road. N302 crosses on that viaduct: Lelystad is on the left.

Road is quite nice, an expressway with the all-sought green median. However, it was EXTREMELY windy over there, the water was quite agitated despite being, theoretically, only a lake. Notice the color difference in the water from both sides.

Beware of the birds (vogels)!

After the Enkzuizen gates, there is this aquaduct and N302 comes back to dry land again.

N302 than becomes very annoying until the junction with A7. It was not congested by had many 4-phased traffic lights, than a sign of "expressway", then another traffic lights 900m in front. And they are not synchronized for green wave.

I have no idea what this U21 signaling means.

Joining A7 in Riesdam

Wind turbines here are less chaotically placed then in Emmen. They make a nice bigger counterpart to the ubiquitous trees planted along A7.

Older signaling pattern on A7

Aflsluitdijk, built in the 30's. To the left: shallow water of Wadden Sea. To the right: IJsselmeer. This is a fundamental piece in flood prevention in the Netherlands. Is isolated Amsterdam and all the IJssel basin from storm surges and so. This is a bigger dyke, with a 2x2 highway running over it. First, the gates and drawbridge:

There is an observation point in the middle of the dyke. Notice the higher earth wall on the left - it is meant to give extra protection against storm surges and, particularly, high waves, considering predominant winds from ocean:

From there, we can see a mosaic illustrating N302, A7 and the water bodies:

It surely is an engineering accomplishment
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #4731
piotr71

Quote:
Illegal use of shoulder = € 130 fine

(taking a photo from the shoulder would be considered illegal use of the shoulder).
Didn't Suburbanist parked in lay-by?

Quote:
The lanes are slightly more narrow than the general-purpose lanes
Some time ago I drove on one of these(probably A27 near Utrecht) and had an impression that leftmost lane(drivable shoulder) was much narrower than the regular lanes.
piotr71 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:12 AM   #4732
Suburbanist
on the road

Frysland countryside

Leaving the Aflsluitdijk, we have Knoopunt Zurich. Switzerland, anyone? From here onwards, some cities are referred by both their Dutch and Frisian names.

Crossing under A7 and heading to N31 to Harlingen. The sectiong from A7 to Harligen is substandard, from Harling onwards N31 becomes A31 but I don't know about its design and have not driven there.

Pipeline over N31:

From Harlingen you can take ferries to the Wadden Islands, two of which are closed to motor traffic

Crossing Harligen, N31 is reduced to 1+1 and has some tight bridges and curves. They need to improve the situation there, it is a choke point on N31/A31:

Drawbridge on A31 in Harlingen. I bet traffic comes to hell when it opens in busy times.

Now we're leaving N31 (which becomes A31 after this junction) to take N393 that will lead us to the powerful and mighty settlement of Minnerstga, my destination. The photo is bad, but the city names in Frisian are funny/odd:

N31 overpass on N393

Roadworks in Wijlandum. They are resurfacing the entrance of a barn:

Dutch northern countryside

We keep on N393, which is just a regular non-urban road here

Then we leave Sexbierum (Seisbierrum in Dutch). Bilingual signs are common in smaller villages but some have just a Frisian name:

Frisian proud on the roadside

Entering Minnerstga. Here we say "wolkom":

I spotted/got stuck behind a handful of big tractors and agricultural machines over there

Traffic jams and noise are huge problems in Nortwestern Friesland. Therefore, muncipalities ought to invest in traffic calming measures like this:

TOT ZIENS
Old November 24th, 2010, 01:23 AM   #4733
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
I have no idea what this U21 signaling means.
I think the idea of this additional blue U21 sign is the same as in Germany. In case of motorway closure, accident or traffic you can follow this sign to avoid this situation. Then you will go to next entrance on motorway using parallel road.
U means - Umlauting. Am I correct?
These signs are quite often located in Eindhoven area.

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:23 PM   #4734
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Yes, you are correct. U means "Uitwijkroute" (alternate route). Unfortunately, you can copy the signs from Germany, but you cannot just copy their road network. Nearly all Dutch roads are incapable of being an alternate route to a motorway because they have all been downgraded with roundabouts, traffic calming, speed reductions, etc.

A few weeks ago with the Vlake Tunnel troubles, a detour was posted at the adjacent provincial highway, where of course, the traffic lights had been replaced by tiny roundabouts "because otherwise it looks too much like a traffic function". Hence, the were incredible traffic jams while A58 was still a relatively low-trafficked motorway with 43.000 vehicles per day.
Old November 24th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4735
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Good news. Without any official inauguration, full capacity has been opened last night in the Ringvaart Aquaduct in the A4 motorway north of Leiden. This means 2x3 lanes are from now on available. This section carries 100.000 vehicles per day and was in the top25 most congested spots in the Netherlands. This morning, there was no congestion at all for the first time in many years on normal workdays.

Old November 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM   #4736
DarkLoki

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Now we're leaving N31 (which becomes A31 after this junction) to take N393 that will lead us to the powerful and mighty settlement of Minnerstga, my destination. The photo is bad, but the city names in Frisian are funny/odd:

Then we leave Sexbierum (Seisbierrum in Dutch). Bilingual signs are common in smaller villages but some have just a Frisian name:
Actually direction signs are always in dutch, the first sign would be like this in frisian:
Harns-Haven
Seisbierrum
Hjerbeam
Mullum

Even more odd then the Dutch names

In the second pic you mixed the names. Sexbierum is actually dutch, a funny dutch name actually. The name appears to consist of the words Sex, Beer and Rum
DarkLoki no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #4737
Wuppeltje

Likes (Received): 968

Quote:
Good news. Without any official inauguration, full capacity has been opened last night in the Ringvaart Aquaduct in the A4 motorway north of Leiden. This means 2x3 lanes are from now on available. This section carries 100.000 vehicles per day and was in the top25 most congested spots in the Netherlands. This morning, there was no congestion at all for the first time in many years on normal workdays.

Jeuh.
Old November 24th, 2010, 09:53 PM   #4738
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Traffic jams and noise are huge problems in Nortwestern Friesland. Therefore, muncipalities ought to invest in traffic calming measures like this:
I hope you're being sarcastic
Old November 25th, 2010, 06:20 PM   #4739
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The council of state has put the construction of the N356 expressway "centrale as" between Dokkum and N31 near Nijega on-hold. The council is not convinced a partial 2x2-layout is necessary based on socio-economic demographic factors. The main reason behind the 2x2 layout was traffic safety.

The current traffic volumes on this route are between 12.000 and 18.000 vehicles per day.
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:16 AM   #4740
Suburbanist
on the road

Day Trip Report - Rotterdam Port

I drove from Tilburg to the end of the public roads on the westernmost part of Rotterdam Port. I took a not-so-direct route.

I left Tilburg on N-282, which runs parallel to A58 up to Breda

This intersection is quite new. It runs through N360/N632, which provides a fast link from De Reeshof area with A58, bordering the Gilze-Rijen Air Base
[img]http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Bu7OVagAQz0/TO7dB3S4MsI/AAAAAAAAC-M/jnA-28TV_1M/s800/PB240005.JPG[/iimg]

Now, we are on N631, providing a shortcut to A27. Many trucks there.

Steep entry ramp on A27 with a short acceleration lane

Very substandard interchange, with traffic lights! A27 x A59 (Knooppunt Hoolpolder).

There, you can find this (IMO) hard-to-see-and-notice-and-use-as-guidance ubiquitous signs fixed on posts. You can't react to them until it's too late, particularly in this carriageways with turning lanes and so.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands