daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:31 AM   #4741
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21251

Day Trip Report - Rotterdam Port (cont.)

Now we are on A16. Massive highway, followed on a long stretch by the HSL-4 high-speed railway. Instead of going to Rotterdam, I took A59 west to deviate from expected congestions in Dordrecht. Both A58 and A59 are "shift" northward when crossing A16, so they have, each, two interchanges with A16.

Approaching interchange Noordhoek (for the occasional visitor: all Dutch interchanges have names and are called "Knooppunt" in Dutch), where A17 splits A59. By the way, does anyone know whether both codes (A17, A59) are applied to the sector they share in common, or whether it's called just one way or other?

To make a contrast, this is a very generous ramp with decent acceleration lane, following the interchange above

Weather was worsening (compare the first picture of the post above, just 40min before or less), but the route got interesting. We are above one of the dams of the Delta Project. A59 becomes N59, and A29 (which also shares a sector with A59, every highway shares a sector with it lol) heads north.

Drawbridge on the aforementioned dam's lock for boats.

Halinvingletbrug bridge (brug=bridge but I don't know if it is correct to drop just part of a word :p)

The wiper spoils everything, but I still wanted to post this picture, as it shows the exact point where A4 was supposed to connect with A29. I don't know about projects to close this gap (not to mistake for the Delft-Schiedam A4 gap, A4 is the most "gapped" highway in the country).

Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2010, 12:41 AM   #4742
Suburbanist
on the road

I finally entered into A15, the gateway to the Rotterdam Port, second busiest in the World. As predicted, the share of trucks in the road is HUGE, far higher than other motorways. The more we move towards the port, the less scarce cars become. Trucks own the final sector, you feel small and powerless out there lol

Hainernoord tunnel, A29

Dynamic traffic panel covering the "ring" formed by A4, A20, A16, A15. All white = no traffic jams.

A29 x A15 interchange. I assume it had to be reconstructed because of the Betuwe Route Freigh Railway.

Old November 26th, 2010, 12:56 AM   #4743
Suburbanist
on the road

Being the main gateway to Rotterdam Port, A15 has a high share of truck traffic. The more you go into the port area, the less common cars become.

Knooppunt Benelux

Massive tunnel (it is not long, but the walls are very impressive)

Undercrossing the Betuwe Route Railway line, which lies next to A15 for a long stretch.

Another tunnel. At this point, within the port area, I could count surely 4 trucks for every car

A15 now becomes N15 short after this curve, but it is still a decent 2x2 expressway until it degrades into a 1x1 road.

This is no cute-windmill-and-tulips Netherlands at all! But industrial sites have their own particular beauty.

To the left there is the Maasvlatket 2 construction site, an enormous land reclamation project to increase the space at Rotterdam Port. Some critics say it would be better to team up with Antwerpen Port and expand there, at cheaper costs. But I don't understand much of ports.

Pipeline on the roadside

Sign in English

Almost at the end of N15. To the left, big (enourmous) oil tanks, to the left, this massive earth wall which is part of the dyke build against the North Sea, which lies just out there.

It's big: 45km from Rotterdam!
Old November 26th, 2010, 01:16 AM   #4744
Suburbanist
on the road

Day Trip Report - N57

After Rotterdam Port, I headed for N57. It is a very special road, because it was built over many of the structures of Delta Project in the 70-80s. As a result, Zeeland got far better connections between the islands. Weather didn't help much, but pictures are here.

N57 has a 100km/h limit for most of it. High winds make the ride quite "interesting", particularly when in the open, facing just the sea.

I joined N57 near Nieuwenhoorn. Here, it is a 1+1 with median. I don't know why the median t.b.h.

Crossing the Harlingvliet dam, essential to keep the inland areas dry in case of a storm surge. First they thought of just closing the link, but for environmental, agricultural and drinking water supply reasons, they decide to build some dams instead of dykes.

Again, 1+1 with median near Stellendam

This is the Brouwen dyke. It completely closed off the North Sea (right) from the inland water body (left)

In some sectors, the road is inexplicably worse. Indeed, there is an explanation (I suppose): it used lower alignments from provincial roads that were there before the Delta Project. They should enlarge/widen these sectors, they are all in the middle of farmland!

Sun, clouds, time didn't help at all, but this is the biggest of all Delta Projects structures: the Neetje Jans dam. It regulates the flow from the Westerschelde (left) into the North Sea (right). There are three sets of dams, which are closed only in case of storm surges. There is also a small lock able to keep the fisher boat traffic, and a big museum, visitor center and water park. The site is very interesting: pillars and other concrete structures used on the dam were built on site, on a dry lock, which was then flooded to allow boats to move them into place. The result are some inland areas and an 2 artificial islands (connecting the 3 sets of gates)

The road runs over those gates

Old November 26th, 2010, 04:48 PM   #4745
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

A2 Maastricht

The endless stream of breakthroughs in major road projects does not end! This week, minister Schultz of infrastructure signed the record of decision for the A2 tunnel in Maastricht. This tunnel will feature two decks with 4 lanes each, 2x2 for local and 2x2 for through traffic. Construction is planned to start in 2011 and should be completed in 2016.

More information about this rather unique (but not pioneering) project on the website http://www.a2maastricht.nl/page.aspx?id=343 (English).
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:35 PM   #4746
Victorinus
GOES - NL

Likes (Received): 343

Quote:
Sun, clouds, time didn't help at all, but this is the biggest of all Delta Projects structures: the Neetje Jans dam. It regulates the flow from the Westerschelde (left) into the North Sea (right). There are three sets of dams, which are closed only in case of storm surges. There is also a small lock able to keep the fisher boat traffic, and a big museum, visitor center and water park. The site is very interesting: pillars and other concrete structures used on the dam were built on site, on a dry lock, which was then flooded to allow boats to move them into place. The result are some inland areas and an 2 artificial islands (connecting the 3 sets of gates)
This is not the "Westerschelde", but the "Oosterschelde". There's no dike or dam at the westerschelde.
Victorinus no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #4747
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Den Haag - Utrecht

New 4th lane on eastbound A12, starting just before Woerden and continues to interchange Oudenrijn.

Pics by Mario Blaak:

6 lanes:
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #4748
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The A44 motorway is the first in the world to have LED lighting, according to Rijkswaterstaat.

Old November 29th, 2010, 04:59 PM   #4749
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A58 Eindhoven - Tilburg

Minster Schultz officially inaugurated the 3rd lane on A58 between interchange Batadorp and Oirschot (6.5 km) today. She had some interesting facts, on the Brabant part of A2, traffic congestion was reduced by 84% due to the widenings around Den Bosch and Eindhoven.
Old November 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #4750
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Ah, a genuine Dutch traffic chaos, we're talking about 2 cm of snow after all. Total: 3.000 kilometer queue.

Old November 29th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #4751
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 1822

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The A44 motorway is the first in the world to have LED lighting, according to Rijkswaterstaat.
It looks a lot more like real daylight which is really pleasing to the eye, I guess. LED lighting also helps decrease light pollution.
Rebasepoiss no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM   #4752
ChrisZwolle
Road user

5.100 kilometer of traffic jam! This is unprecedented...
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM   #4753
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 781

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
5.100 kilometer of traffic jam! This is unprecedented...
Over two centimeters of snow??
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #4754
RipleyLV

Likes (Received): 2301

So 1 mm of snow could cause a 25,5 km long traffic jam?
RipleyLV está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:09 AM   #4755
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

No, 255 km...

It's a side effect of a very busy road network. If anything happens, it immediately turns into a mess. And not to speak about our railway network.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 04:25 AM   #4756
Suburbanist
on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurK View Post
No, 255 km...

It's a side effect of a very busy road network. If anything happens, it immediately turns into a mess. And not to speak about our railway network.
That's why Netherlands, in spite or recent projects, need at lest some extra 5000km of road LANES (notice the unity: lanes).
Old November 30th, 2010, 01:34 PM   #4757
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Grounded Dutchman, not flying any more I could say...
I don't want even write about this...
Maybe everyone still keeping summer tyres should be sent to prison :P ?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #4758
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It doesn't matter if people have summer tires or not. In winter-tire Germany it was just as much a chaos. The problem is Dutch motorways are extremely saturated and normally people keep a less than safe distance, generating theoretically impossible traffic volumes. When it snows, people keep more distance, hence the huge problems.
Old November 30th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #4759
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

So now I know why Dutch drivers drive so close...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4760
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Phase I of the N57 expressway will open to traffic tomorrow in Middelburg, Zeeland province. It is part of a general realignment of N57 in the Middelburg area, bypassing the city on the east instead of cutting through it. It will also feature a new aquaduct, which will open later.

Map:

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands