daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 7th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4801
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
I don't agree. Instead of pumping billions of euros in PT and forcing millions of people to live in narrow condos, it's far better (and in the long run also cheaper) to stimulate relocation of working areas to the places people live...
Have you tried doing that for the place where you work? In my company (located in Rotterdam) we have people living in Rotterdam, Utrecht, Amsterdam, Haarlem and Rijswijk (The Hague). Where should we relocate our office?

I know that many people from Purmerend, Hoofddorp and Almere commute to Amsterdam, but if you relocate a company from Amsterdam to Almere, many people would have to commute to Almere from Purmerend and Hoofddorp, increasing travel times and making commuting by PT virtually impossible.

Companies are still located in cities, because they are still the most accessible places in a metropolitan region, despite congestion.

As Suburbanist already pointed out Dutch labour mobility is very high because we see the Randstad as one city. I think this is an economic strength, and we just need to keep investing in infrastructure, but also accept that attractive cities come with congestion.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #4802
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Thus the answer lies in infrastructure. I know you can't completely wipe out congestion, but 90% of the Dutch congestion can be solved by road widenings. There's no need for a massive traffic jam in the polders. A2 was a good example of how to make things right. The widening from 4 to 8 lanes solved a daily 20 kilometer traffic jam with its bottleneck at Beesd of all places...
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2010, 01:33 PM   #4803
ChrisZwolle
Road user

An aquaduct segment for the A4 Oude Rijn aquaduct is being shipped into position:
Old December 12th, 2010, 05:30 PM   #4804
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Newly widened A28 Zwolle - Meppel.

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:58 PM   #4805
ChrisZwolle
Road user

These 62 meter long concrete beams will be placed across the Haarlemmer Ringvaart canal in februari 2011. It will be part of the new A5 motorway, and are the longest concrete beams ever constructed in the Netherlands.

Old December 13th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #4806
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A4 Leiden

Minister Schultz officially opened the new 6-lane Ringvaart Aquaduct today.

She also stated the new Oude Rijn Aquaduct will be opened in 2012 with 6 lanes, 2 years earlier. This is possible because the new aquaduct will have two carriageways with space for 5 lanes + shoulder each, thus achieving a temporary 6-lane setup on one carriageway.

Cross section:
Old December 13th, 2010, 03:44 PM   #4807
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Woerden - Gouda

Minister Schultz officially opened the new plus lanes on A12 Woerden - Gouda on 9 December. The A12 now possesses 4 lanes in the westbound direction.

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:07 AM   #4808
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The graph below shows the increase of the annual road tax that provinces levy over the ownership of a car. Though the 1.9% increase in 2011 is marketed as "a very low raise", it's a bit weird that in the preceding years taxes increased 4 - 5 times the inflation.

Old December 14th, 2010, 10:26 AM   #4809
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Visualization of the traffic jam top 50 of 2009:
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:02 AM   #4810
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The graph below shows the increase of the annual road tax that provinces levy over the ownership of a car. Though the 1.9% increase in 2011 is marketed as "a very low raise", it's a bit weird that in the preceding years taxes increased 4 - 5 times the inflation.

As you can see, this graph reflects the change in motor vehicle tax revenue. Not the increase of the tax rate. The revenue depends on the kinds of cars and the numbers of cars. This probably mostly reflects the growth in the number of registered cars.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:31 AM   #4811
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You're right. But I doubt that the number of registered vehicles (thus revenue) increases by 6 - 12% every year.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #4812
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Quote:
Newly widened A28 Zwolle - Meppel.

Superb!
I spent there a lot of my time staying in jams Last Friday, the third lane was still closed and generating huge traffic jams. I thought they will keep this lane closed until May 2011 (as written on the billboards, signs...)
What is the speed limit there? 100, 120 or 130 already?

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM   #4813
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Quote:
You're right. But I doubt that the number of registered vehicles (thus revenue) increases by 6 - 12% every year.

I dont know about the tax. Is it in percentage of lump sum? If percantage, just the sheer volume of money spent on cars (and in previous years, the car market soared till 2008) would make that increase also possible in the revenue picture.

Anyway, I got a question. What cars are extempted from the "wegen belastingen". Recently I saw an test of Skoda fabia greenline which said that that this car comes road tax free thus saving substantial amount of money every year.

But now I am bit uncertain. I think I mix two things here. The tax you pay when you register new car and the annual tax over the roads.

Please could you tell me, are there cars that are extempted from both? Or what are the ways of reducing these taxes with car type in NL. THanks.
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2010, 08:25 PM   #4814
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Minister Schultz signed a record of decision-equivalent* of the adaption of A2 and interchange Kerensheide near Geleen in Southern Limburg. The A2 will be widened to 3 lanes each way between Urmond and Kerensheide (1 km) and more importantly; a new 2-lane fly-over will be constructed to improve traffic flow towards Heerlen. Works should commence in 2011 and be completed in 2013.

render:

current:

* ROD-equivalent; this is a slightly altered (simplified) version of a full record of decision (Dutch: wegaanpassingsbesluit vs. tracébesluit).
Old December 14th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #4815
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
I dont know about the tax. Is it in percentage of lump sum? If percantage, just the sheer volume of money spent on cars (and in previous years, the car market soared till 2008) would make that increase also possible in the revenue picture.

Anyway, I got a question. What cars are extempted from the "wegen belastingen". Recently I saw an test of Skoda fabia greenline which said that that this car comes road tax free thus saving substantial amount of money every year.

But now I am bit uncertain. I think I mix two things here. The tax you pay when you register new car and the annual tax over the roads.

Please could you tell me, are there cars that are extempted from both? Or what are the ways of reducing these taxes with car type in NL. THanks.
Wegenbelasting, officially called "motorrijtuigenbelasting" is an annual tax you pay for owning a car. It is dependent on fuel, weight and the province you live in. For a typical diesel car, this is around, or exceeds € 1200 per year. Petrol is cheaper, but LPG isn't. Some very clean vehicles are exempt from this tax, however, with more and more clean(er) vehicles, it remains to be seen how long this would remain in effect, as it will eventually lead to a loss of revenue for the government.

The tax you pay for buying a car is converted in the price of the car, and consists out of BPM (Belasting van personenauto's en motorrijwielen) and VAT. This was 40 + 19% in 2009, but things have changed in 2010, MRB increased and BPM was lowered in anticipation of the kilometer charge. With the cancelling of the km charge (at least for now), the BPM was decreased, making new cars less expensive to buy, but more expensive to own as MRB was increased as a compensation.
Old December 14th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #4816
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Thanks!!
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #4817
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Visualization of the traffic jam top 50 of 2009:
This will look so different for 2011

I think nr 1, 10, 13, 17, 22, 27, 29, 30, 31, 40 and 46 will be solved or drop out of the top 50 completely. And future plans to solve many other traffic jam hot spots are already there and are in development or carried out as we speak.

Hard to solve congestion includes the A10 ring around Amsterdam (5, 23 and 26) and the A20 near Rotterdam (6, 7, 12, 20 and 24).

Taking the current plans into account I expect the A9, A10, A15 and A27 to take more and higher spots on the traffic jam top 50 a lot over coming years.
Old December 15th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4818
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Hard to solve congestion includes the A10 ring around Amsterdam (5, 23 and 26) and the A20 near Rotterdam (6, 7, 12, 20 and 24).
Things will improve though. The second Coen Tunnel is currently under construction which will increase the capacity from 4 to 8 lanes, and rush hour capacity will be increased from 2 to 6 lanes. This will improve #5 and #26 and also #34. To be completed 2012.

The Rotterdam area will be relieved by constructing the A13-A16. Though this may seem like a low-profile project (media-wise) it is in advanced stage of planning, an design-record of decision is expected in 2011, as well as a final record of decision. If everything goes well, construction could start in the second half of 2012, with a completion around the same time as A4 Delft - Schiedam.

Another problem is the A16 on the east side of Amsterdam. It currently has 12 lanes and 230.000 vehicles per day. Due to the growth of the area, especially jobs and VINEX (Zuidplaspolder), traffic volumes will increase to 282.000 vehicles per day in 2020, so improvement is needed on this vital economic corridor. The main problem is the lack of alternate route, the whole road structure in greater Rotterdam is set up so that local traffic gets on the motorway as fast as possible.

The problems in Rotterdam;
* A16 Brienenoord Bridge
* N210 Algera Bridge
* lack of a second river crossing (probably A38)

On a daily basis;

105.000 vehicles cross the Benelux Tunnel
75.000 vehicles cross the Maas Tunnel
70.000 passengers cross the Maas via subway
230.000 vehicles cross the Brienenoord Bridge
30.000 vehicles cross via other connections (Erasmus Bridge, Willems Bridge)

This means a grand total of;

440.000 vehicles crossing the Maas at Rotterdam per day.
Old December 15th, 2010, 01:48 PM   #4819
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A15 Rotterdam

Another step has been taken in one of the economically most important road widening projects. The widening of A15 has been contracted to the A-lanes A15 consortium, consisting of well-known companies John Laing, Ballast Nedam, Strabag and Strukton.

The contract is worth € 1.5 billion and is a DFBM project. (Design, Finance, Build, Maintain). Preliminary construction should commence in early 2011, with full-scale road works starting in the second half of 2011. The whole project should be completed by 2015.

The widening of A15 is one of the most important projects, as the motorway carries up to 30.000 trucks per day, which will grow to 50.000 trucks per day in 2025. It also carries large numbers of commuter traffic.

The A15 will be widened over 40 kilometers;

* Rozenburg - Spijkenisse: from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes using more space-efficient "plus lanes". The Thomassen Tunnel will also be widened to six lanes.
* Spijkenisse - Vaanplein: from 2x3 to 10 lanes, using a local-express setup. A new Botlek Bridge will be constructed, so traffic can use both the Botlek Tunnel and Botlek Bridge. This will improve traffic for both road and shipping.

Map:
Old December 16th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #4820
Marokino
المملكة المغربية

Likes (Received): 78

Nederlandse snelwegen zijn de beste !

ⵜⴰⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⵜ
Marokino no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands