daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #4841
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

I went out from 7pm til about 10pm with the car and in the suburbs of Amsterdam it was really really quiet. Another friend of mine said that he never drove so quickly from his office in Diemen to his house in the center of Amsterdam around 6pm. So for some people it was actually better than on a 'normal' friday afternoon.

Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:15 AM   #4842
BigMike90

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus Brage View Post
Also dutch people are probably not used to snow on the roads, no wintertires on cars etc.
well i hate to break the news for you. Snow is Snow.

Look at all the geman newspaper websites, they got the same problems and they have all wintertyres. Stockholm also is stuck when snow hits.
BigMike90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #4843
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A28 is mostly clear, and has been mostly clear in the outbound direction for much of the day, which is weird.

I think the A28 had nowhere near as much snow as the triangle Utrecht- Amsterdam-Almere.
Old December 18th, 2010, 01:18 AM   #4844
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I went out from 7pm til about 10pm with the car and in the suburbs of Amsterdam it was really really quiet. Another friend of mine said that he never drove so quickly from his office in Diemen to his house in the center of Amsterdam around 6pm. So for some people it was actually better than on a 'normal' friday afternoon.
Amsterdam cleared faster than Utrecht. A friend of mine told me he never had a more quiet drive on A28 outbound from Utrecht. Normally that route is completely jammed but now it was all clear because all traffic was stuck on the 12 and 27.
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2010, 09:21 PM   #4845
xlchris
Not much

Likes (Received): 202

It normally takes me 1 hour and 15 minutes to get to work in rush hour on a friday. Yesterday it took me 2 hours to get there and 3 hours to get back!

Today it only took me 1 hour, but the roads were quite bad. Like being on an ice lane.
Old December 18th, 2010, 10:28 PM   #4846
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des View Post
I think the A28 had nowhere near as much snow as the triangle Utrecht- Amsterdam-Almere.
how do you save a screen of those TomTom maps?
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:52 AM   #4847
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Printscreen on your keyboard, then paste it into paint or paint.net and cut the relevant section out of it, save and upload it.

Meanwhile, a nice aerial of the most urban interchange in the Netherlands: Kleinpolderplein. A13 terminates here at the A20. This interchange should be significantly relieved by the construction of A4 Delft - Schiedam and A13-A16 connection north of Rotterdam.
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:31 AM   #4848
Surel

Likes (Received): 2155

Just two weeks ago I asked on this forum for help with buying winter tires in NL and I was very well answered. They arrived last week from Germany and now we had no problem on the snow. Anyway should have done it alredy in november. I cannot say, that the complete jam has to do only with the amount of snow here. I mean snow is normal in the winter, it would be ubnormal in the summer.

The wintertires help a lot. Not only that people are able to drive faster, they drive safer and the road is therefore allowing for normal traffic. I saw many cars that are just wildly wheezing their wheels when trying to drive. BTW. how many cm of the snow fell on the ground? Five to 10 cm is really not a disaster.

The big problem are trucks, however, in NL there is really not that many hills that should cause complete colaps due to the stuck trucks.

I dont believe that this situation would be solved by wider roads, even if the roads were 10 times wider....
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 10:52 AM   #4849
Magnus Brage
Another RussianDatingScam

Likes (Received): 5

Quote:
Printscreen on your keyboard, then paste it into paint or paint.net and cut the relevant section out of it, save and upload it.
Thank you for the advice.

Quote:
Meanwhile, a nice aerial of the most urban interchange in the Netherlands: Kleinpolderplein. A13 terminates here at the A20. This interchange should be significantly relieved by the construction of A4 Delft - Schiedam and A13-A16 connection north of Rotterdam.
[img] [/img]

That urban interchange should be dug underground, it covers a lot of usefull urban ground which could be used for housing and it generates a lot of disturbing noise.

Most of Stockholm innercity motorways goes through tunnels.
Magnus Brage no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 02:43 PM   #4850
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highwaycrazy View Post
Bottom right hand picture showed vehicles using the shoulder lane. Is that permitted during peak hours in the Netherlands?
Many busy highways have shoulder running during peak hours. It's forbidden to drive on the shoulder lane in normal circumstances, unless the dynamic traffic signs show that the shoulder lane is open for traffic.

The picture you referred to was taken by the webcam at interchange Ewijk (here).
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2010, 08:49 PM   #4851
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A video I shot today from A50 in the snow.

Old December 19th, 2010, 09:31 PM   #4852
BigMike90

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
A video I shot today from A50 in the snow.

looks very clean, a bit more south between apeldoorn and arnhem it was still completely icey and white on the highway.
BigMike90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 11:46 AM   #4853
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Overturned truck on the A12 motorway near Gouda.

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:43 PM   #4854
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

I just enter to my office. Driving whole A50 from north to Eindhoven. Motorway seems to be black... but on the right lane is just black ice!!!! With superb winter tires, I have to slow down to 50-60 km/h and still almost every one was overtaking me! I cannot do anything, car just moving it own... Dutch drivers get experienced in winter driving before you create huge crash!

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2010, 12:45 PM   #4855
ChrisZwolle
Road user

You commute all the way from Groningen to Eindhoven every day?
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #4856
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Even more problems... All motorways with MTM have a reduced speed limit of 50 km/h due to black ice. Salt doesn't work.

An overturned truck closed A15 at Europoort in both directions. Another one overturned on A15 near Rotterdam-Charlois and a third truck overturned on A15 near Interchange Deil, motorway closed. Also overturned trucks on A12 near Maarsbergen, A29 near Barendrecht, A16 near Moerdijk, A65 near Tilburg and A4 near Bergen op Zoom.

A12 Maarn

N15 Europoort:

A4 Hoogerheide:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; December 20th, 2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old December 20th, 2010, 01:13 PM   #4857
mappero

Quote:
You commute all the way from Groningen to Eindhoven every day?
Not everyday But on Monday to the south and Friday to the north... And it's enough for me

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:28 PM   #4858
kubam4a1

Likes (Received): 6

Why doesn't salt work? May it have sth to do with the porous asphalt?

Mappero, you mean they do not have wintertires and they overtake, drive fast? And we in Poland think such things only happen in Poland...
Old December 20th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #4859
mappero

Black ice - I also had this experiences last Thursday in Germany. You can see, the surface on the road it's perfect smooth and shinning. Then your car is dancing and doing unexpected movement...
20-30 % of Dutch drivers use winter tires... BTW, it's almost impossible to rent a car with winter tires Netherlands ( I am talking about international companies like AVIS, Europcar,...)!

Old December 20th, 2010, 03:42 PM   #4860
sotonsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubam4a1 View Post
Why doesn't salt work? May it have sth to do with the porous asphalt?
Too much snow, and too cold.
sotonsi está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands