daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4941
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Kewl ride.

What's the artist/title on the tune?

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #4942
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Audioswap:

009 Sound System - Violate
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4943
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

N302 Lelystad-Enkhuizen

Yesterday Chris and I drove across the Houtribdijk between Lelystad and Enkhuizen. A map of the route:

[img]http://i55.************/ve40ad.png[/img]

In total I made 30 pictures, which can be foundhere.

A small selection of 10 pics can be found below:

1. Lights on on the dike.

image hosted on flickr

N302 Houtribdijk by Timon91, on Flickr

2. Vmax is 100 km/h. It was quite windy by the way. It's quite logical that I haven't seen any bikers

image hosted on flickr

3. Left: ice, right: water.

image hosted on flickr

4. We're still close to Lelystad.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

6. Sometimes overtaking is allowed.

image hosted on flickr

7. For a short while, the road is located on the southern side of the dike instead of on top of it. Enkhuizen can be seen from here.

image hosted on flickr

8. Still a bit of ice.

image hosted on flickr

9. The Naviduct Krabbersgat.

image hosted on flickr

10. Entering Enkhuizen.

image hosted on flickr

That's it again, I hope you liked it!
Old January 10th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #4944
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

I like this road through the water I was there couples of times but never during winter. Seems different but still interesting

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #4945
metasmurf

Likes (Received): 555

What's the standard speed limit on those green median 2-laners? 100 seems fine to me.
metasmurf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #4946
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Usually 100 km/h.
Old January 10th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #4947
ChrisZwolle
Road user

To compliment Timon's pictures of the N302 highway, here is a video of the same section:

Old January 10th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #4948
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To compliment Timon's pictures of the N302 highway, here is a video of the same section ...
T&C, dank u voor een uitstekende video!

I see that even your highly sophisticated society isn't immune to aggressive driving and one-car-in-front mentality (2:45-3:00 min).

I have to say that the Houtribdijk is one of my favourite roads in NL (apart from Afsluitdijk) and I have very fond memories of it. I particularly recall riding a musclebike across the Markermeer/IJselmeer one hot summer day and even at moderate speeds I ended up all caked up in dead insects: visor, my leathers, bike and all. That day I had all the flies I could eat for lunch. By the time I got to Enkhuizen, I was ready for a shower.

I never understood why the dijk is higher on one side part way through. Is there a topological difference in the water level? I climbed on top of the dijk at Trintelhaven but to me the water level looked the same on both sides.

Drogowskaz Classic

Last edited by MAG; January 10th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
MAG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:20 PM   #4949
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
To compliment Timon's pictures of the N302 highway, here is a video of the same section:
What were you doing around 4:00? You got off the road and back again...
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #4950
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNGL View Post
What were you doing around 4:00? You got off the road and back again...
I was hoping to get a clear stretch of highway in front of me to get a better video, but the car+trailer ahead of me slowed down even more so it didn't really work out.
Old January 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM   #4951
ChrisZwolle
Road user

17 kilometers of shoulder running went into operation today on A2 Interchange Het Vonderen (A73) to Urmond (near Geleen/A76). Southbound only, northbound is still U/C.

updated map:
image hosted on flickr

shoulder running + plus lanes NL by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old January 11th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #4952
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG View Post
I never understood why the dijk is higher on one side part way through. Is there a topological difference in the water level? I climbed on top of the dijk at Trintelhaven but to me the water level looked the same on both sides.
The water level is normally nearly the same on both sides; the sluices at Enkhuizen and Lelystad are open most of the times. Except when strong winds sweep up the water causing different water levels.

The Houtribdijk (N302) was constructed as part of the reclaiming of the Markermeer (south of the dike), which was supposed to become the "Markerwaard". This is also the reason why the dike has such strange and sharp turns near Lelystad; the dike was meant to be the future shore. I think the part where the N302 is behind the dike would have stayed a road after completing the reclaiming works, while the part where the N302 runs on top of the dike would have been removed.

The dike to the former island Marken was also constructed as part of the ring-dike for the planned Markerwaard, just like the never completed dike from Marken to Volendam. Also notice the right-of-way of the never completed "Goudriaankanaal" that runs straight through the island of Marken. This canal was not part of the reclaiming plans; the Goudriaankanaal was planned as a shipping canal to Amsterdam to by pass the shallow water in the southern part of the former Southern Sea. The canal was partly constructed in the 1820s.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #4953
zwanneman2

Likes (Received): 10

Chris,

Could you also make a map with the speedlimits or a map with the sections were a collector system is used? Would be great, Thanks
zwanneman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:26 PM   #4954
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurK View Post
... The Houtribdijk (N302) was constructed as part of the reclaiming of the Markermeer ...
Thank you for an exhausting answer.

Whichever way you look at it, the Houtribdijk is still an impressive piece of engineering. It is a great shame that the bigger Markerwaard vision has never been fulfilled.
What was the main reason for abandoning the project? Money? Green issues? Political will?

Drogowskaz Classic

Old January 13th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #4955
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2111

Quote:
Thank you for an exhausting answer.
[/COLOR]
I hope you meant "exhaustive" and not "exhausting"
g.spinoza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4956
MAG
Keep it simple

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
I hope you meant "exhaustive" and not "exhausting"
Both!

Drogowskaz Classic

Old January 14th, 2011, 08:59 PM   #4957
ChrisZwolle
Road user

IJssel River Bridges near Zwolle City.

image hosted on flickr

IJssel-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IJssel-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IJssel-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

IJssel-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #4958
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Ens - Emmeloord

Good news. Minister Schultz of transportation is initiating a widening of the N50 expressway between Ens and the Emmeloord interchange to 2x2 lanes. This section currently has 2x1 lanes separated by a barrier and has shoulders. (Super-Two) Passing is not possible. The traffic volumes are year-round not very high, around 12.000 vehicles per day, but very little investment is necessary to widening to 4 lanes without shoulders conform Dutch expressway standards. All bridges and overpasses have been built with 4 lanes in mind. The only thing that needs to be changed is a bus entrance from Emmeloord, which currently crosses the N50 just south of the Emmeloord interchange with traffic lights.

This will connect to the already U/C 2x2 bypass of Ens, including a new higher bridge across the Ramspol Strait.

map:

Current N50 layout.
Note the left and right exits/entrances lead to a bus stop that serves the outlying outback.
image hosted on flickr

Fotki 004 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

Here's a nice aerial of the Emmeloord interchange (A6/N50)
Old January 14th, 2011, 10:55 PM   #4959
ArthurK
Legum Magister Scientiae

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Whichever way you look at it, the Houtribdijk is still an impressive piece of engineering. It is a great shame that the bigger Markerwaard vision has never been fulfilled.
What was the main reason for abandoning the project? Money? Green issues? Political will?
A combination of all of them. First, it was delayed since there was no need (and money) for the Markerwaard in the 80s. There were also plans to use the Markerwaard to build a new international airport, since Schiphol is surrounded by populated areas and there was a lot of opposition to the construction of the Polderbaan-runway. The government decided to facilitate Schiphol's growth on the current location.

The Markermeer and IJsselmeer are also used as a reservoir for fresh water. In the dry summer, the Water Authority (Rijkswaterstaat) directs the water from the Rhine via the IJssel River to the IJsselmeer. That water is used for the agriculture in the northern part of the Netherlands, up to the German border. This system guarantees our water supply, even if it doesn't rain for weeks.

I doubt the Markermeer will be "reclaimed" the next decades. There are serious plans for large scale housing developments on artificial islands south of the Markermeer, in the IJmeer. A new bridge (road/rail) linking Amsterdam and Almere through the IJmeer is part of that plan.
ArthurK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2011, 02:24 AM   #4960
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21240

Talking of dikes, I have a dream (but I know is just a dream) of a massive road that could be built in the Wadden Sea area, linking Den Helder to Uithuizen (near Delfzijl). It would transform the Dutch Wadden Islands in a sort of Dutch Keys as this highway (even a 1+1 would be enough) would cross all the Wadden Islands.

Moreover, they could gate/dam/close the sea inlets, effectively shortening the Dutch cost by some hundred kilometers, like they did in the Zeeland. The Wadden Sea would then become Waddenmeer and, like what happened with the IJsselmeer, it would become a fresh water lake in a couple decades.

Navigation would be preserved, even the water level, but they could expand Friesland some 1000-1400km² reclaiming some very shallow water out there. Then, the sleepy Wadden Islands would become prime destinations easily accessible from Noord Holland.

It is not an engineering big challenge at all, it would be way easier than it was to manage the Deltawerken in Zeeland. However, it would essentially dismantle all marine fauna and flora from Waddenzee, something I think might stir some opposition.

Yet, I dream of the Dutch Keys :p and Villeland becoming a prime sea resort! Too bad we can't get sun and temperatures from Florida, though.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands