daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM   #5181
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

A15 Rotterdam

Amazing news, all appeals against one of the biggest road expansion projects in the Netherlands have been dropped! No judgment from the Council of State is necessary. A15 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes between Rozenburg and Spijkenisse and from 2x3 to 2x5 lanes from Spijkenisse to interchange Vaanplein.

Works will begin in november 2011, and the project is slated to be completed in 2015.

Map
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:21 PM   #5182
Wilhem275
The Transporter

Likes (Received): 767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Where are the kangaroos?
No kangaroos, only some Kangoos, usually in white

Marchionne means never having to say you're sorry.

Due to Photobucket f*cking up, most images won't be visibile in my old posts. If you need anything specific, please write me.
Wilhem275 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 06:48 PM   #5183
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhem275 View Post
No kangaroos, only some Kangoos, usually in white
Hey now, mine's green
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2011, 08:11 PM   #5184
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
A15 Rotterdam

Amazing news, all appeals against one of the biggest road expansion projects in the Netherlands have been dropped! No judgment from the Council of State is necessary. A15 will be widened from 2x2 to 2x3 lanes between Rozenburg and Spijkenisse and from 2x3 to 2x5 lanes from Spijkenisse to interchange Vaanplein.
This is how it looks like now near Barendrecht (first two pictures are from february, the last picture is 1 year old but almost nothing has been changed since then).

Old March 15th, 2011, 05:42 PM   #5185
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A12 Zoetermeer

A record of decision has been published today for a minor upgrade project along A12. The last remaining 2-lane section of A12 between Utrecht and Den Haag will be widened to 3 lanes with a plus lane. Width restriction is 2.0 meters. The new plus lane will be 4.1 km long and connect with the plus lanes between Gouda and Zoetermeer which opened in 2010. There will be no changes in the eastbound direction, because this section already has 3 lanes.

map:
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:42 PM   #5186
Jakub Warszauer

Likes (Received): 552

What is a "plus lane"?
Jakub Warszauer no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:47 PM   #5187
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It's a Dutch alternative to shoulder running. Using faster procedures, they can construct a new narrow lane on the left side of the carriageway which will only be opened during rush hour.

The design of these "plus" lanes vary somewhat, some are near full lane width, others have a 2.0 m width restriction (which means the lane is about 2.5 m wide, taking sine driving into account).

Here's an example:
image hosted on flickr

A1 plusstrook-10 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #5188
Jakub Warszauer

So, on the picture above, during non-rush-hour traffic the left lane would be closed by the far left green arrow turned into red cross?

Interesting idea.

How this "plus lane" is beeing added (constructed)? A left shoulder is being used? Or all lanes are shifted rightwards at the expense of right shoulder? But then how it is different from typical road expansion?
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM   #5189
ChrisZwolle
Road user

It is physically nearly identical to a regular road widening. They use the space in the median, or reconstruct the motorway completely, although the latter doesn't happen that often. The main time-saving is during procedures. Before the "quick road widening act", the average procedural time was 14 years for any given infrastructure project. They reduced that to 3 - 4 years nowadays. Regular shoulder running (on the right side) is seen as a temporary solution, but plus lanes (on the left side) have a more permanent character.

It's not ideal, but at least traffic is moving 9 years faster than otherwise would've happened.
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #5190
Jakub Warszauer

Why was it 14 years? That's really long.

This "quick road widening act" shortened time for environmental impact asessments?
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #5191
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Prior the the fast road widening act procedures were as follows;

1) initial notice: includes some research, possible variants, public hearings

2) alignment report: includes detailed study, including other modalities, various alternatives

3) design-record of decision: includes all environmental impact assessments

4) final record of decision: finalized documentation

Appeals could be made at every step. After the final record of decision, a final judgment by the Council of State could last another 1 - 1.5 years.

To finish a road project according to these schedules, you would need at least 3 consecutive full-term governments with the same priority for these road projects.

They shortened procedures around 2007. The full impact of this did not occur until 2010. Where we previously had maybe 2 major projects per decade, now they are flowing like a wild river with several major projects commencing every year.

The current fast procedure;

1) political alternative agreement, alternative chosen, public participation all at once.

2) design record of decision including all environmental documentation

3) final record of decision.

Appeals are only possible at the final ROD, and only if you had prior participation during the public hearings in step 1 or 2 or both. Other appeals are not eligible. The Council of State can also make a faster judgment. In fact, the road authority already begins the project before a final judgment has been issued. Sometimes the project is finished only 3 months after the final green light has been given! Amazing, isn't it.
Old March 16th, 2011, 12:46 AM   #5192
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Another major issue that sped up road construction was the so-called "national cooperative program air quality". Green-lit by European regulation, this means air quality (previously a major obstacle due to high background concentrations) does not have to be surveyed at project level, only at national level. Hence, air quality is not an obstruction anymore to road improvements as they simply cannot appeal against the project on air quality grounds anymore.
Old March 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM   #5193
Jakub Warszauer

This is very interesting. I understand that these new regulations apply only to road widening, not greenfield projects.

It seems we have now in Poland stricter law than in Netherlands...
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:33 PM   #5194
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Sorry for OT but... Indeed the Polish interpretation of European law is always for make this law complicated and more strict then original acts... This is Polish specification :]
This is basically the reason that Dutch motorways should be classified as express roads in Poland (cause of several regulation, f.e. lamps and traffic signs not covered by barriers).

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:37 PM   #5195
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Did you just downgrade our entire motorway network?
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #5196
mappero

According Polish law and regulation - yes
Also distance between junctions here in Netherlands is also against Polish motorway regulation :]
But compare Dutch and Polish standard we have correct speed limit in both countries
(I am not writing about new stretches with speed limit 130 km/h).

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
Old March 16th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5197
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
This is basically the reason that Dutch motorways should be classified as express roads in Poland (cause of several regulation, f.e. lamps and traffic signs not covered by barriers).
There are guidelines about what should be covered by barriers and what not. This is called the "obstacle-free zone". I believe it is around 3 meters off the side of the shoulder.

But I have to add Dutch shoulders are usually 4 - 4.5 meters wide. This is wider than any other country in Europe. This is done to be able to operate a 4+0 work zone setup (4 lanes on one carriageway), to reduce congestion during road works. You can do this with narrower shoulders as well, but at least we can avoid 2 m wide left lanes during road works.
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:01 PM   #5198
mappero

Hard shoulders are widder, that's true. But you cannot leave your car there in case of brake down, so you have to move car into grass..
What about anti-animal defends along the motorways? In many places the are not existing at all. Is it the reason no wild animals in some regions?
What about trees in green area in between two motorway roads? Like here: pic from A28

Old March 16th, 2011, 02:04 PM   #5199
Slagathor
Gay love is love too

Likes (Received): 6162

Most of our country is artificial. We haven't had any major wild animals here since the Industrial Revolution. The no-animals situation predates the motorways.
Slagathor no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2011, 02:26 PM   #5200
ChrisZwolle
Road user

In most areas with extensive wildlife the motorways are fenced off from the surrounding areas. Accidents with wildlife are not very common on motorways, but happen frequently on other roads in areas like Veluwe.

Most motorways are bordered by wide ditches and farmland. There is no significant wildlife crossing in most of those areas (like deers or boars). Areas where this does happen are increasingly supported by ecoducts. There are currently 9 motorway ecoducts under construction.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands