daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 31st, 2011, 09:15 PM   #5241
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

north<-> south axis Eindhoven<->Hasselt

I read something today about plans of a new road. It's about the N74 expressway (2x2, 120km/h) forming a north south axis in Belgian Limburg but suddenly reduced to a normal road (the Dutch N64) when crossing the Dutch border.

Plan is now to construct a new road bypassing Valkenswaard that bends in NW direction to the A67(Belgian E34) highway having it's own junction. Belgium asked to also make it a 2x2 road with 120km/h speed limit but the Dutch are going to keep it on a 2x1 road with 100km/h speed limit.
The road will start between Westerhoven and Valkenswaard and will connect to the A67(Belgian E34) between Steensel and Veldhoven.

The total budget is 140Million Euro's.

I don't really see enough open space for this new road though nor for an new interchange between Steensel and Veldhoven.

Do you know more about the actual plans Chris?

Sponsored Links
Old March 31st, 2011, 11:06 PM   #5242
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

A short vid of me driving this route near Rotterdam:

snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM   #5243
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Here's my latest video:

A50 Arnhem - Apeldoorn. Last video of my trip last Sunday.

ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:55 AM   #5244
Timon91
Error

Likes (Received): 46

Nice video, Chris. I also drove there last sunday. I wondered what the bus stops where doing on the side of the motorway, for example at 0:56. They don't seem to have a connection to a village for example.
Old April 1st, 2011, 03:24 PM   #5245
kosimodo
Mapmaker

Likes (Received): 372

¨¨ Eh..

The busstop is being a busstop... Nothing more.. nothing less.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:18 AM   #5246
Des
Traveller

Likes (Received): 806

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
Nice video, Chris. I also drove there last sunday. I wondered what the bus stops where doing on the side of the motorway, for example at 0:56. They don't seem to have a connection to a village for example.
Those areas are not very densely populated. So behind the motor way there's a small service road connecting to the underlaying road network and a small parking on both sides where people from the area can park their car to continue by bus. Basically the rural version of Park and Ride (P+R)...

In a more densely populated area of the country you can find a bus stop on the A44 between Burgerveen and Sassenheim:

http://maps.google.nl/?ie=UTF8&ll=52...,286.87,,0,5.2

Last edited by Des; April 2nd, 2011 at 02:24 AM.
Des no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM   #5247
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A new video of the new (temporary) 9-lane situation around Utrecht, awaiting the opening of the tunnel in 2012:

Old April 3rd, 2011, 12:58 PM   #5248
Ingenioren

Likes (Received): 585

Such a small accelaration-space for buses (A44), i can't believe those are allowed on motorways...

Last edited by Ingenioren; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Ingenioren no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:02 PM   #5249
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A2 Abcoude

A special about the A2 motorway near the town of Abcoude, just south of Amsterdam. In my opinion, it's one of the most photogenic areas of the Dutch road network.

1. A2 near Vinkeveen. 5 lanes tempting you to push the pedal to the metal.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

2. A view across 12 lanes.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

3. The oversize median provides space for... what? 18 lanes? A 4-lane reversible? A light-rail? An oversized bicycle path?
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

4. Approaching interchange Holendrecht, the 6 lanes divide up to 4 lanes towards A2 and 2 lanes towards A9.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

5. It is suggested to use a left shoulder if there are 4 or more lanes in one direction. Usually these eventually end up being an additional travel lane, but A2 has sufficient capacity for quite a while into the future.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

6. Six-lane carriageways are extremely uncommon in Europe. The Netherlands has only a few. Another notable location is A12 just west of Utrecht.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

7. Interchange Holendrecht, with the Amsterdam Amstel Business Park skyline in the distance. Road traffic is surprisingly quiet, because they applied the (expensive) dual-layer porous asphalt. This reduces more noise than any lowering of speed limit could ever achieve (up to 7 decibels).
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-7 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

8. A side view of this massive motorway. But motorways are not the only thing the Dutch seem to excel in in the recent years. Only a few kilometers away are a 4-track railway and the busiest inland shipping canal in the world.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old April 3rd, 2011, 01:30 PM   #5250
CNGL
Leudimin

Likes (Received): 1932

Wow, E35 at that point is a superhighway! BTW, for photo #1, did you got in the motorway without a car to make the photo? Or just zoomed in? (I think it's the later, because if it was the former you probably could have been killed...)
Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum, quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non nunquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem - Cicero, De finibus bonorum et malorum, from which placeholder text is derived.
CNGL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM   #5251
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
1. A2 near Vinkeveen. 5 lanes tempting you to push the pedal to the metal.
The speedlimit is still 100km/h?

Last edited by 909; April 3rd, 2011 at 06:11 PM.
909 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:54 PM   #5252
Harry

Likes (Received): 0

The quality of motorways in the Netherlands is astonishing. Very well engineered, and obviously a lot of investment. I guess you have a different sort of network to most western European countries in that the Netherlands is very densely populated and long distances (by the standards of most other European countries) do not really exist due to the relatively small size of the country. Most stretches of road are, by definition, near a large town/city or forming an important bypass. This strengthens the case for investment.

Twelve lane stretches like the one above are, I agree, very rare. I can think of only two in the UK; both of which are no more than a few miles/km in length. Probably a good thing, to be honest!
Harry no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:13 PM   #5253
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
A2 Abcoude
8. A side view of this massive motorway. But motorways are not the only thing the Dutch seem to excel in in the recent years. Only a few kilometers away are a 4-track railway and the busiest inland shipping canal in the world.
image hosted on flickr
A2 Abcoude-8 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Quadruple track Utrecht Centraal - Amsterdam (Bijlmer Arena) completed in 2007

temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 08:26 PM   #5254
BigMike90

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timon91 View Post
that one is for terlet, its an small airport for private jets and gliders. The other one is near groenendaal, its a very tiny village. But there are some restaurants and retail nearby. Otherwise its true, a bit in the middle of nowhere busstops.

But still these busstops are used regularly by tourits that want to take a walk in the woods.
BigMike90 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2011, 02:10 PM   #5255
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28 Zwolle - Meppel

All appeals made at the Council of State against the widening of the A28 motorway between Zwolle and Meppel have been dismissed. A variety of appeals were made, such as noise, air quality, traffic forecasts, dilatation joints, lights, etc. All rather standard appeals which the Council of State usually dismisses.

The opening of the 8 lanes between interchange Hattemerbroek and exit Zwolle-Zuid, and the 6 lanes between exit Ommen and interchange Lankhorst will be opened in May 2011 as planned.
Old April 6th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #5256
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
A28 Zwolle - Meppel

All appeals made at the Council of State against the widening of the A28 motorway between Zwolle and Meppel have been dismissed. A variety of appeals were made, such as noise, air quality, traffic forecasts, dilatation joints, lights, etc. All rather standard appeals which the Council of State usually dismisses.

The opening of the 8 lanes between interchange Hattemerbroek and exit Zwolle-Zuid, and the 6 lanes between exit Ommen and interchange Lankhorst will be opened in May 2011 as planned.
Very good, it's a disgrace such an important route is still only 2x2... Or 2x2+1 because of plus lanes. It should be 2x3 or 2x4 lanes constantly.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #5257
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

So no more orange poles on right/left lane on A28 in direction to Zwolle from Meppel??
How long done motorway widening can wait for opening??

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #5258
Hart van Zeeland

Likes (Received): 7477

N61: IJzendijke > Terneuzen

[IMG]http://i51.************/2ekiro1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/34skpc6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/2s9zmvr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/2dkl8r5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/2qm10si.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Hart van Zeeland; April 10th, 2011 at 01:20 PM.
Hart van Zeeland está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #5259
ChrisZwolle
Road user

That road will look significantly different in a few years
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:09 PM   #5260
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

And, very interestingly, 'van Zeeland' is a very common surname in my hometown metro area (Little Chute, WI, adjacent to Appleton, was heavily settled by immigrant Dutch).

Also, a few doors down from where I grew up in Appleton, was a dutch family that fled the Nazi occupation during WWII.

Mike

Last edited by mgk920; April 10th, 2011 at 07:17 PM.
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands