daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 10th, 2011, 07:37 PM   #5261
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgk920 View Post

And, very interestingly, 'van Zeeland' is a very common surname in my hometown metro area (Little Chute, WI, adjacent to Appleton, was heavily settled by immigrant Dutch).

Also, a few doors down from where I grew up in Appleton, was a dutch family that fled the Nazi occupation during WWII.

Mike
Across the lake from you, I believe Holland, Mich., has a suburb called Zeeland (or Zealand - not sure). There are a lot of Dutch in that area. And Dutch was still spoken (at least in formal circumstances like Dutch Reformed church services) in the Hudson Valley of New York into the early 19th century.

But I digress....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #5262
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19390

Newly widened N62 near the Westerschelde Tunnel. It's almost a motorway... (just not by classification: autoweg 100 km/h)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart van Zeeland View Post
De Westerscheldetunnelweg tussen tolplein en tunnelentree is recent opgebouwd tot 2x2. Het resultaat mag er wezen!

Richting Terneuzen/Gent
[IMG]http://i56.************/2mfj14x.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i53.************/fz1zdy.jpg[/IMG]

Richting Goes/Vlissingen
[IMG]http://i55.************/14leo7.jpg[/IMG]
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2011, 11:32 PM   #5263
joshsam
JR

Likes (Received): 5408

Nice!, I've drivin on it 3 weeks ago when going to vlissingen I didn't knew i was a normal road before...The sides where still not grown over by grass.
Old April 11th, 2011, 11:41 AM   #5264
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A24 / A54 New Western Connection Rotterdam

As some of you may know, there are studies for a new fixed link in the port of Rotterdam area. Currently, the Benelux Tunnel is the westernmost fixed link, and is located 25 kilometers inland. There are no fixed links between the port of Rotterdam and the Westland greenhouse area / Den Haag region.

There are two options; both of which will likely be a tunnel considering the clearance needed for shipping. The A24 Blankenburg Tunnel is the easternmost tunnel, with 2x3 lanes and will run from A15 near Rozenburg to A20 east of Maassluis. The A54 is located more to the west, and will run from the Europort Oil Terminals to the A20 terminus near Westerlee. This tunnel option will feature 2x2 lanes.

The minister of transportation will make a decision in 2011. It looks like that the eastern Blankenburg tunnel will have the biggest chance of being constructed. While it is still located pretty far inland, it serves large traffic flows, especially from Zeeland (N57) and the large suburb of Spijkenisse towards A20 and A4. An A54 would likely require an extension to A4 near Delft, which is unlikely at the moment given the densely build-up nature of this area (greenhouses).

map:

Last edited by ChrisZwolle; April 11th, 2011 at 11:47 AM.
Old April 12th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #5265
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Hopefully it'll be built as quickly as possible, I've always found if funny the Beneluxtunnel is the last link before the sea...
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 11:52 AM   #5266
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure

Knooppunt Joure (Interchange Joure) is a motorway interchange in Friesland province, where A6 terminates at A7. It is the last remaining roundabout motorway interchange in the Netherlands which features no fly-overs at all. Traffic jams are not very long, but delays are significantly, especially during the summer season when holiday traffic (which is almost 24/7 in Friesland) can cause delays over 20 minutes here.

It will be replaced by a full motorway interchange. The funding comes from the cancelled "Zuiderzeelijn", a once-proposed railway (Lelystad - Heerenveen - Groningen). The funding is now directed to various road and rail projects.

The traffic volumes on this interchange are not as high as in western Netherlands, but still significant, the A7 east of the interchange carries 60 000 vehicles per day. A7 west carries approximately 30 000, as does A6 south of the interchange. The main flow goes from Emmeloord to Heerenveen.

The new interchange design will cater this traffic flow, where A7 will become a TOTSO. Although A7 runs to the Amsterdam area, A6 is shorter. It will be constructed quite spacious, similar to interchange Zurich (A7/N31).

Current situation:

New design: (upper left = A7 to Heerenveen, right = A6 to Emmeloord)
Old April 13th, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5267
Junk
That's me!

Likes (Received): 0

At last. Do you have any information on knooppunt Hooipolder being reconstructed?
Old April 13th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #5268
mappero
Co sie kryje za zakrętem?

Likes (Received): 520

Great news about A6/A7 Knooppunt Joure !
Five years ago when I drive on A7 I was shocked you can have roundabout in the middle of nowhere whilst drive on motorway. Then realised it's quite typical in The Netherlands.
Nowadays sometimes I stuck during traffic but no more in the future
Could someone explain why here in NL roundabouts where built on the motorways? Because was goedkoopste?
Even on the other side of Iron Curtain hasn't been done such a (stupid?) type of motorways junction...

Błędy na mapach w nawigacjach GPS i internecie

Been in: A, B, BIH, BR, C, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GE, GBR, H, HR, I, L, LT, MC, MEX, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, RD, RSM, S, SK, SLO, SRB, TR, UA, USA, V
Driven in: A, B, BIH, BR, CH, CZ, D, DK, E, F, FL, GB, GBR, H, HR, I, L, MC, MNE, N, NL, P, PL, RO, S, SLO, SK, SRB, TR, USA
mappero no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2011, 10:15 PM   #5269
Suburbanist
on the road

Likes (Received): 21239

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Could someone explain why here in NL roundabouts where built on the motorways? Because was goedkoopste?
Even on the other side of Iron Curtain hasn't been done such a (stupid?) type of motorways junction...
My guess is that they wanted to build more mileage, leaving interchange construction for later, with space already saved. The Dutch are quite good preserving ROW for decades for projects that will come to fruition much later.
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #5270
Koesj
Historian

Likes (Received): 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mappero View Post
Could someone explain why here in NL roundabouts where built on the motorways?
Even one of the most travelled interchanges in NL, Oudenrijn, was constructed as a simple roundabout at first. Traffic volumes weren't that high so an at grade solution was deemed acceptable I guess. More on the history of that particular situation here: http://www.autosnelwegen.nl/asw/his/.../his/his04.htm (in dutch but look at the pretty pictures! )

Interchange Joure was opened in 1973 though and design standards had already come a long way. I think we've got another case of the Northern parts of the country being short-changed here. Heerenveen used to be a roundabout too and was only upgraded to a substandard cloverleaf without parallel lanes.

Same goes for Holsloot (A37-N34), Drachten (A7-N31) and the upcoming project near Westbroek (A7-N33). The last case is a prime example of austerity measures hitting a proposed project right where it hurts. Instead of even a substandard cloverleaf the latest plans call for a hybrid at-grade dogbone roundabout on the new four lane N33, a national roads

Compared with interchange Zurich and the plans for Joure and Assen-Zuid (all three of them having full, free-flowing connections with a huge ROW) it's a funny mix of high-level and lowbrow interchange design in Friesland, Drenthe and Groningen.
Koesj no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5271
-Pino-
Funkin' down the Track

Likes (Received): 127

The North of the Netherlands is of course a sparsely populated part of the country that hardly gets any international traffic. With traffic volumes being so low, there has always been little incentive to upgrade roads.

The A7 from the Afsluitdijk eastwards is probably the most substandard motorway that we have in the Netherlands. Whether at the Afsluitdijk itself, at Sneek, at Groningen or at those few strange at-grade crossings, nobody ever saw the need the fix it. And let's be honest, traffic didn't really suffer from it either.
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #5272
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Dutch motorway turns 74

Today, 74 years ago, on April 15th, 1937, the first motorway section in the Netherlands was inaugurated. The A12 opened to traffic for 9 kilometers between Voorburg en Zoetermeer, just east of The Hague. It was the first motorway in the world to feature continuous shoulders, which were made out of brick at the time.

Old April 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM   #5273
piotr71

Any historic pictures?
Old April 16th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #5274
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koesj View Post
More on the history of that particular situation here: http://www.autosnelwegen.nl/asw/his/.../his/his04.htm (in dutch but look at the pretty pictures! )
A limited number of pages on the history of Dutch motorways are also available in English and German.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2011, 06:32 PM   #5275
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A28 Zwolle

Some pictures I took this afternoon from an overpass. It has been rumored the 3rd lane will finally open next week after being in hibernation for 6 months since construction was finished.

image hosted on flickr

A28 17-4-2011-1 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 17-4-2011-2 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 17-4-2011-3 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 17-4-2011-4 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 17-4-2011-5 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr

image hosted on flickr

A28 17-4-2011-6 by Chriszwolle, on Flickr
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM   #5276
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 779

I see we've resolved our Flickr issue? :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 12:12 PM   #5277
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Mashed potatoes on A2 in Eindhoven.

Traffic is detoured.
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #5278
tripleseis

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
The quality of motorways in the Netherlands is astonishing. Very well engineered, and obviously a lot of investment. I guess you have a different sort of network to most western European countries in that the Netherlands is very densely populated and long distances (by the standards of most other European countries) do not really exist due to the relatively small size of the country. Most stretches of road are, by definition, near a large town/city or forming an important bypass. This strengthens the case for investment.

Twelve lane stretches like the one above are, I agree, very rare. I can think of only two in the UK; both of which are no more than a few miles/km in length. Probably a good thing, to be honest!
The roads in the NL are generally fantastic. But I can definitely see that there are capacity problems especially around the Rotterdam area which we passed through on our way to Amsterdam. I can see they are widening the A4 near Leiden (IIRC?), looks like a serious bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hart van Zeeland View Post
N61: IJzendijke > Terneuzen

[IMG]http://i51.************/2ekiro1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/34skpc6.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i51.************/2s9zmvr.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i52.************/2dkl8r5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i55.************/2qm10si.jpg[/IMG]
This was the way we drove from Belgium to Holland. Rather than take the motorways around Antwerp, we took the Westscheldetunnel (which has radio reception all the way through it) and then drove along the coast to Rotterdam. There was roadworks around this area too by the tunnel and the dual carriageway was still coned between the tunnel and the toll booths. The drive through Zeeland is lovely.
tripleseis no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM   #5279
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Traffic fatalities 2010

The number of traffic fatalities in 2010 dropped by 11% from 720 in 2009 to 640 in 2010. The drop was significant on 120 km/h motorways (-31% to 33 deaths).

Although motorways carry 50% of all traffic, only 5% of the fatalities occur here.

Dutch:
http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/minister...eersdoden.html
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:50 PM   #5280
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

A statistic that perfectly shows we can easily increase the speed limit on them.

Stupid 80/100/120 kph limits, there is nothing bad about 180+ in the middle of the night or on very quiet bits of motorway like the A7...

The 100 kph limit on the A2 is disgusting and unbelievable.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands