daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5321
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
The signage has also gotten a lot better too! I think the NL-standard for overhead signage should become the model for the rest of Europe!
The new signage is a mixture of the oldschool signage (which is basically derived from the American signage), and the existing German system. So you can see German-like signs with FHWA-font.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #5322
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
It is a numbered detour route. Those can be permanent, but most are temporarily. Quick answer, well... ?
But how would an outsider know that this is a detoured route? Seems pretty vague and obscure, and can easily be confused for a regional route number. Look at it compared to the N210 shield, there's very little difference!

Quote:
The new signage is a mixture of the oldschool signage (which is basically derived from the American signage), and the existing German system. So you can see German-like signs with FHWA-font.
Oh yeah, if you examine both signs, you can see the fusion of the two. I think Holland and possibly Spain(?) are the only two countries in Europe that I know of that use the FHWA (American) sign font. I seen pics of the signage from other Euro countries, and I still think Holland is my personal favorite.

Another quick question: Why is it that only Amsterdam has the Stadroutes (s100-s118) and not other Dutch cities? Has there been any consideration to also adding similar Stadroutes in other big cities such as Rotterdam or Utrecht?
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #5323
Mr_Dru

Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Another quick question: Why is it that only Amsterdam has the Stadroutes (s100-s118) and not other Dutch cities? Has there been any consideration to also adding similar Stadroutes in other big cities such as Rotterdam or Utrecht?
Other cities has S-routes as well.

Like in Rotterdam

or in Den Haag
s100 (Centrumring)
s200 (Ring Den Haag)
s101:
s102:
s103:
s104:
s105:
s106:
s107:
s108:

Almere
s101:
s102:
s103:
s104:
s105:
s106:
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #5324
Junk
That's me!

I´ve read that Zaanstad is also planning on adding them. Cities like Utrecht or Eindhoven could easily add them as they have a large ring road and a smaller one (S100).
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #5325
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
But how would an outsider know that this is a detoured route? Seems pretty vague and obscure, and can easily be confused for a regional route number. Look at it compared to the N210 shield, there's very little difference!
That's because you've seen one sign and not the whole sequence. There are signs beforehand that indicate to follow detour x for destination x, etc.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #5326
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's because you've seen one sign and not the whole sequence. There are signs beforehand that indicate to follow detour x for destination x, etc.
Interesting!
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #5327
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallex View Post
wait,wait..Sexbierum?!
Quote:
That's right Sex-Beer-Rum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
One of the most reguarly stolen city-signs in the Nethelands, together with the huge city of "Netherlands" (one street)
Probably not as hot of a commodity as the "*******, Austria" signs, or the old US-666 shields in the US.
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #5328
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
The same A2 in 1982!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
WOW! Is that railroad still there ?
I remember seeing that railroad crossing on the A2 and thought how weird it was to have one across a major freeway! I don't remember when it was dismantled, but I can vouch for it still being there as of October 2000.

Quote:
I passed over a railroad on a motorway near Miami, FL, but I think that one was not in use anymore.
No the RR Xing is still there and still in use. You're referring to the western terminus of Florida State Road 112 right next to Miami International Airport. The last mile or so of FL SR-112 is an At-Grade expressway (much like the A7/N7 gaps in Sneek and Groningen), and interesting enough, the directional lanes are REVERSED during that stretch!--Meaning for that last mile or so, cars drive on the left-side of the road much like in the UK.
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #5329
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
No the RR Xing is still there and still in use. You're referring to the western terminus of Florida State Road 112 right next to Miami International Airport. The last mile or so of FL SR-112 is an At-Grade expressway (much like the A7/N7 gaps in Sneek and Groningen), and interesting enough, the directional lanes are REVERSED during that stretch!--Meaning for that last mile or so, cars drive on the left-side of the road much like in the UK.
You might be right, this might be the railway crossing I noticed. I was comming from Miami Airport hading to I95-north, but I didn't notice utill now (on google earth) that there they drive like in UK. There is a similar thing in Italy, at A4/A50 interchange where the lanes are reversed and there was another plane in Italy but I can't remember right now where...
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #5330
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Probably not as hot of a commodity as the "*******, Austria" signs, or the old US-666 shields in the US.
NJ 31 used to be numbered NJ 69. Supposedly, they changed it because they got tired of replacing the signs.

Then there's this place, which is actually very Amish (Not that the Amish don't... oh, never mind.): http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.054846&z=14

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5331
aswnl

Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
I remember seeing that railroad crossing on the A2 and thought how weird it was to have one across a major freeway! I don't remember when it was dismantled, but I can vouch for it still being there as of October 2000.
The railway crossing was dismantled in june 1986.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5332
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
The railway crossing was dismantled in june 1986.
I distinctly remember seeing a RR crossing through a motorway in 2000, but I can't remember exactly which one. I DO remember that it was one of the Motorways I took from Druten to Schiphol Airport, so it was either A15, A2, A9 or A4. The signals and gates were there, but I don't know if they were still operational or not.
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #5333
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
NJ 31 used to be numbered NJ 69. Supposedly, they changed it because they got tired of replacing the signs.

Then there's this place, which is actually very Amish (Not that the Amish don't... oh, never mind.): http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.054846&z=14
They had the same problem with the old US-666 signs--too many were getting stolen and the state DOTs of New Mexico Arizona, Utah and Colorado (the states the road spanned) were getting sick and tired of replacing them, so I believe sometime in the mid 2000s (2003 I believe?), the US-666 designation was decommissioned, and the road was re-designated as US-491.
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #5334
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
You might be right, this might be the railway crossing I noticed. I was comming from Miami Airport hading to I95-north, but I didn't notice utill now (on google earth) that there they drive like in UK. There is a similar thing in Italy, at A4/A50 interchange where the lanes are reversed and there was another plane in Italy but I can't remember right now where...
Oh there are plenty of instances in the USA where the directional lanes reverse for a short time--mostly at major interchanges and some exceptions (like SR-112). Look at the
interchange between Interstates 65 and 20/59 near Birmingham, Alabama.
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #5335
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American

Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Oh there are plenty of instances in the USA where the directional lanes reverse for a short time--mostly at major interchanges and some exceptions (like SR-112). Look at the
interchange between Interstates 65 and 20/59 near Birmingham, Alabama.
There is a similar lane reversal in downtown Binghamton, NY.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...21973&t=k&z=16
Note the crossover on that short freeway (NY 363) just east of the main bridge.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #5336
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Also on Autoroute 20 for several kilometers southwest of Downtown Montreal. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.006856&z=17

(But, we're 3000 miles or so off topic and have been for several posts. The Dutch are very tolerant. )

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5337
bogdymol
bogdymod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
(But, we're 3000 miles or so off topic and have been for several posts. The Dutch are very tolerant. )
Chris is on vacantion
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #5338
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net

Likes (Received): 277

So, back on topic then

Pictures of the new N223 road at Hoek van Holland, where ferries to Harwich (UK) depart.

Old April 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5339
Zagor666
Motomaniac

Likes (Received): 349

This is one dutch sign i realy like

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #5340
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
So, back on topic then

Pictures of the new N223 road at Hoek van Holland, where ferries to Harwich (UK) depart.

What's the Oranjetunnel and why are those sheep opposed to it? :-)

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
A B CH D F GB I L NL

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands