daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5321
aswnl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: near Amsterdam (NL)
Posts: 932
Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
The signage has also gotten a lot better too! I think the NL-standard for overhead signage should become the model for the rest of Europe!
The new signage is a mixture of the oldschool signage (which is basically derived from the American signage), and the existing German system. So you can see German-like signs with FHWA-font.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #5322
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
It is a numbered detour route. Those can be permanent, but most are temporarily. Quick answer, well... ?
But how would an outsider know that this is a detoured route? Seems pretty vague and obscure, and can easily be confused for a regional route number. Look at it compared to the N210 shield, there's very little difference!


Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
The new signage is a mixture of the oldschool signage (which is basically derived from the American signage), and the existing German system. So you can see German-like signs with FHWA-font.
Oh yeah, if you examine both signs, you can see the fusion of the two. I think Holland and possibly Spain(?) are the only two countries in Europe that I know of that use the FHWA (American) sign font. I seen pics of the signage from other Euro countries, and I still think Holland is my personal favorite.

Another quick question: Why is it that only Amsterdam has the Stadroutes (s100-s118) and not other Dutch cities? Has there been any consideration to also adding similar Stadroutes in other big cities such as Rotterdam or Utrecht?
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #5323
Mr_Dru
Registered User
 
Mr_Dru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Amsterdam
Posts: 1,384
Likes (Received): 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
Another quick question: Why is it that only Amsterdam has the Stadroutes (s100-s118) and not other Dutch cities? Has there been any consideration to also adding similar Stadroutes in other big cities such as Rotterdam or Utrecht?
Other cities has S-routes as well.

Like in Rotterdam




or in Den Haag
s100 (Centrumring)
s200 (Ring Den Haag)
s101:
s102:
s103:
s104:
s105:
s106:
s107:
s108:

Almere
s101:
s102:
s103:
s104:
s105:
s106:
Mr_Dru no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 07:20 PM   #5324
Junk
That's me!
 
Junk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Hague - Rotterdam Metropolitan area
Posts: 346
Likes (Received): 0

I´ve read that Zaanstad is also planning on adding them. Cities like Utrecht or Eindhoven could easily add them as they have a large ring road and a smaller one (S100).
__________________
DenHaag Centreoftheuniverse
Junk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 08:57 PM   #5325
ChrisZwolle
Road user
 
ChrisZwolle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Zwolle
Posts: 43,603
Likes (Received): 19391

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
But how would an outsider know that this is a detoured route? Seems pretty vague and obscure, and can easily be confused for a regional route number. Look at it compared to the N210 shield, there's very little difference!
That's because you've seen one sign and not the whole sequence. There are signs beforehand that indicate to follow detour x for destination x, etc.
ChrisZwolle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #5326
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's because you've seen one sign and not the whole sequence. There are signs beforehand that indicate to follow detour x for destination x, etc.
Interesting!
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:08 AM   #5327
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallex View Post
wait,wait..Sexbierum?!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
That's right Sex-Beer-Rum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scotty View Post
One of the most reguarly stolen city-signs in the Nethelands, together with the huge city of "Netherlands" (one street)
Probably not as hot of a commodity as the "*******, Austria" signs, or the old US-666 shields in the US.
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 03:28 AM   #5328
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
The same A2 in 1982!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
WOW! Is that railroad still there ?
I remember seeing that railroad crossing on the A2 and thought how weird it was to have one across a major freeway! I don't remember when it was dismantled, but I can vouch for it still being there as of October 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
I passed over a railroad on a motorway near Miami, FL, but I think that one was not in use anymore.
No the RR Xing is still there and still in use. You're referring to the western terminus of Florida State Road 112 right next to Miami International Airport. The last mile or so of FL SR-112 is an At-Grade expressway (much like the A7/N7 gaps in Sneek and Groningen), and interesting enough, the directional lanes are REVERSED during that stretch!--Meaning for that last mile or so, cars drive on the left-side of the road much like in the UK.
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #5329
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
No the RR Xing is still there and still in use. You're referring to the western terminus of Florida State Road 112 right next to Miami International Airport. The last mile or so of FL SR-112 is an At-Grade expressway (much like the A7/N7 gaps in Sneek and Groningen), and interesting enough, the directional lanes are REVERSED during that stretch!--Meaning for that last mile or so, cars drive on the left-side of the road much like in the UK.
You might be right, this might be the railway crossing I noticed. I was comming from Miami Airport hading to I95-north, but I didn't notice utill now (on google earth) that there they drive like in UK. There is a similar thing in Italy, at A4/A50 interchange where the lanes are reversed and there was another plane in Italy but I can't remember right now where...
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 02:58 PM   #5330
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,243
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
Probably not as hot of a commodity as the "*******, Austria" signs, or the old US-666 shields in the US.
NJ 31 used to be numbered NJ 69. Supposedly, they changed it because they got tired of replacing the signs.

Then there's this place, which is actually very Amish (Not that the Amish don't... oh, never mind.): http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.054846&z=14
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 05:19 PM   #5331
aswnl
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: near Amsterdam (NL)
Posts: 932
Likes (Received): 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
I remember seeing that railroad crossing on the A2 and thought how weird it was to have one across a major freeway! I don't remember when it was dismantled, but I can vouch for it still being there as of October 2000.
The railway crossing was dismantled in june 1986.
aswnl no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM   #5332
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswnl View Post
The railway crossing was dismantled in june 1986.
I distinctly remember seeing a RR crossing through a motorway in 2000, but I can't remember exactly which one. I DO remember that it was one of the Motorways I took from Druten to Schiphol Airport, so it was either A15, A2, A9 or A4. The signals and gates were there, but I don't know if they were still operational or not.
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:04 PM   #5333
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
NJ 31 used to be numbered NJ 69. Supposedly, they changed it because they got tired of replacing the signs.

Then there's this place, which is actually very Amish (Not that the Amish don't... oh, never mind.): http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.054846&z=14
They had the same problem with the old US-666 signs--too many were getting stolen and the state DOTs of New Mexico Arizona, Utah and Colorado (the states the road spanned) were getting sick and tired of replacing them, so I believe sometime in the mid 2000s (2003 I believe?), the US-666 designation was decommissioned, and the road was re-designated as US-491.
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 06:28 PM   #5334
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast
 
AlbertC79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 20
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdymol View Post
You might be right, this might be the railway crossing I noticed. I was comming from Miami Airport hading to I95-north, but I didn't notice utill now (on google earth) that there they drive like in UK. There is a similar thing in Italy, at A4/A50 interchange where the lanes are reversed and there was another plane in Italy but I can't remember right now where...
Oh there are plenty of instances in the USA where the directional lanes reverse for a short time--mostly at major interchanges and some exceptions (like SR-112). Look at the
interchange between Interstates 65 and 20/59 near Birmingham, Alabama.
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #5335
mgk920
Nonhyphenated-American
 
mgk920's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Appleton, WI USA
Posts: 2,583
Likes (Received): 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
Oh there are plenty of instances in the USA where the directional lanes reverse for a short time--mostly at major interchanges and some exceptions (like SR-112). Look at the
interchange between Interstates 65 and 20/59 near Birmingham, Alabama.
There is a similar lane reversal in downtown Binghamton, NY.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...21973&t=k&z=16
Note the crossover on that short freeway (NY 363) just east of the main bridge.

Mike
mgk920 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 08:40 PM   #5336
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,243
Likes (Received): 780

Also on Autoroute 20 for several kilometers southwest of Downtown Montreal. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.006856&z=17

(But, we're 3000 miles or so off topic and have been for several posts. The Dutch are very tolerant. )
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM   #5337
bogdymol
bogdymod
 
bogdymol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 11,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn's Woods View Post
(But, we're 3000 miles or so off topic and have been for several posts. The Dutch are very tolerant. )
Chris is on vacantion
__________________
Lived, Been, Drove in: A B BG BiH CH CZ D DK E F FIN FL GBZ GR H HR I IRL L M MNE P PL RO RSM S SK SLO SRB UK V
+ Australia, Hong Kong, Macau, Malaysia, New Zealand, Singapore, United Arab Emirates & United States of America
my clinched highways
My wife has just started a travel blog. Check it out here: makeitcount.blog
bogdymol no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:25 PM   #5338
Palance
Autosnelwegen.net
 
Palance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Palancedrecht, NL
Posts: 1,073
Likes (Received): 277

So, back on topic then

Pictures of the new N223 road at Hoek van Holland, where ferries to Harwich (UK) depart.































































__________________
http://www.autosnelwegen.net/
Palance no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #5339
Zagor666
Motomaniac
 
Zagor666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rumenka - Köln
Posts: 826
Likes (Received): 349

This is one dutch sign i realy like



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Zagor666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #5340
Penn's Woods
Deadpan Snarker
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 6,243
Likes (Received): 780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palance View Post
So, back on topic then

Pictures of the new N223 road at Hoek van Holland, where ferries to Harwich (UK) depart.


What's the Oranjetunnel and why are those sheep opposed to it? :-)
__________________
I didn't vote for him....

DRIVEN IN BEEN IN:
AL CA CT DE DC FL GA ID IL IN KY ME MD MA MI MN MO MT NH NJ NY NC ND OH OR PA RI SC SD TN UT VT VA WA WV WI WY ---
AB BC MB NB NS ON PE QC SK ---
A B CH D F GB I L NL
Penn's Woods no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium