daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Highways & Autobahns

Highways & Autobahns All about automobility

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old April 27th, 2011, 10:16 PM   #5361
woutero

Likes (Received): 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanist View Post
Frisland could easily enlarge itself draining the tidal flat areas an connecting the islands with mainland. Indeed, the whole Waddenzee didn't exist around year 800-1000.

In any case, I think they should buy an "interisland" road, a road connecting DEn Helder to Ameland crossing all straits with large bridges or tunnels (as there are any deep channels over there, so they can build submersed tunnels instead of boring them).
And do what with the land? There is no need for more land for agriculture or other reasons in that area.

The real value here is the tourist potential, which would be ruined by draining the sea or building an inter-island highway.
woutero no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #5362
julesstoop

Likes (Received): 80

Ridiculous idea... Destroying nature, culture and economy of the islands as they are.
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:24 AM   #5363
Ewoutje

Likes (Received): 1

And i don't think Unesco would be very pleased with it.
Ewoutje no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #5364
Gereke

Likes (Received): 237

And besides that, their is no need to build such a road. Where must al those cars on that road go to?
Gereke no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 01:53 PM   #5365
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Likes (Received): 19413

Map of the new A74 link near Venlo:

New interchange A73/A74:

Ecoduct Ulingsheide (58 m long)
ChrisZwolle está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #5366
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

How long will the A74 be? Just the few hundred meters to connect it to BAB61 at the border?
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM   #5367
ChrisZwolle
Road user

2 whole kilometers
Old April 28th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #5368
Junk
That's me!

Likes (Received): 0

Rather impressive for such a short highway!

Last edited by Junk; April 29th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.
Junk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2011, 11:00 PM   #5369
ChrisZwolle
Road user

N50 Ens - Emmeloord

The preferred alternative has been shown at a public meeting in Emmeloord for the widening of the N50 between Ens and interchange Emmeloord to 2x2 lanes. The widening will be done withing the existing alignment, and an incomplete intersection will be replaced by an overpass. The reactions from people in the surrounding area where overwhelmingly positive.

Old April 29th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #5370
snowdog
Speed freak

Likes (Received): 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZwolle View Post
N50 Ens - Emmeloord

The preferred alternative has been shown at a public meeting in Emmeloord for the widening of the N50 between Ens and interchange Emmeloord to 2x2 lanes. The widening will be done withing the existing alignment, and an incomplete intersection will be replaced by an overpass. The reactions from people in the surrounding area where overwhelmingly positive.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AHGBm.png[IMG]
An alternative to what ?

Still, any read widening is positive . Wish they'd build N roads as 2x2 roads standard.
snowdog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 09:05 AM   #5371
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
An alternative to what ?
The only other alternative was probably "doing nothing"

It's a pretty easy and straightforward widening. The only expensive thing is the new overpass. The rest is probably restriping and maybe just repaving the shoulder.

It's a luxury widening though, there are only some 12 000 vehicles per day on this section. But luckily they don't hesitate to improve traffic flow if it isn't too expensive.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #5372
ChrisZwolle
Road user

A1/A6 Amsterdam - Almere

An urgent widening of the A1 and A6 with shoulder running and a 2-lane reversible has been completed today. All lanes opened to traffic. Shoulder running was added and the reversible was doubled to two lanes. This should already reduce congestion.

This is only temporary though. Starting in 2013, the A1 will be realigned with a new aqueduct with 12 lanes. This will be completed in 2016.

image: A1 Vecht Bridge Muiden.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #5373
g.spinoza
Lord Kelvin

Likes (Received): 2120

Wow... in Italy such temporary things would become definitive... if they ever built them...
g.spinoza está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #5374
Surel

Likes (Received): 2156

Did someone of you actually already used the reversible line? I just most of the time see it empty and noone on it. And the reversible from Almere to Amsterdam, there are some conditions you have to comply (pay, persons in car, etc) in order to be able use it, arent there?
Surel no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #5375
ChrisZwolle
Road user

Quote:
Originally Posted by g.spinoza View Post
Wow... in Italy such temporary things would become definitive... if they ever built them...
The Netherlands made a remarkable 180 degrees turn in motorway policy in the past few years. From decades of near-complete standstill to some of the biggest expansion projects in Europe. For instance the 64 km A1/A2/A6/A9/A10 widening will cost over € 4.5 billion. That's what I call tax euros at work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surel View Post
Did someone of you actually already used the reversible line? I just most of the time see it empty and noone on it. And the reversible from Almere to Amsterdam, there are some conditions you have to comply (pay, persons in car, etc) in order to be able use it, arent there?
The reversible was constructed in the 1990's as a HOV facility (much like they have in the U.S.) Those were probably the most meager years in motorway construction, not more than the absolute necessary and sometimes not even that. There are currently no restrictions other than a truck ban.
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #5376
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
Map of the new A74 link near Venlo:
Ecoduct Ulingsheide (58 m long)
Impressive! Reminds me of an old SPUI Interchange that was decommissioned and "Parked" over. Great way to add some green to the roadways if I may say so!
AlbertC79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #5377
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
The Netherlands made a remarkable 180 degrees turn in motorway policy in the past few years. From decades of near-complete standstill to some of the biggest expansion projects in Europe. For instance the 64 km A1/A2/A6/A9/A10 widening will cost over € 4.5 billion. That's what I call tax euros at work!
Hopefully this new attitude towards the motorway policy will mean we may yet see a completed A4 at some point in our lifetimes!
Old April 29th, 2011, 03:35 PM   #5378
AlbertC79
Highway Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qaabus View Post
Preparations for the widening of the A50 to 2x4 lanes between Arnhem and Nijmegen have been underway for a couple of months. Yesterday the first pictures of the second bridge over the Waal near Ewijk were published. It will carry southbound traffic in a 1x4 configuration, while the current bridge will carry northbound traffic on 2x2 lanes. The architect seems to have been surprisingly successful in matching the new bridge to the old, even though it will have 4 pylons on the sides instead of 2 in the middle, and be constructed with concrete instead of steel.

Work is expected to be finished by 2013.

Wow that is impressive! Some of my fondest road memories of Holland include crossing this particular bridge. I believe it was the very first time I had ever seen a cable-stayed bridge (long before the construction of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa, USA). Once the new spans are complete, are they going to keep the old bridge as is, reconstruct it to match the newer bridge, or demolish it altogether?

Quote:
And they're still talking about extending A15 to A12, although the discussion has become somewhat ridiculous because of the excessive cost of a proposed tunnel.
Any talks about extending the A15 possibly to meet the western terminus of A18? I think I also read on Wikipedia that the A15 and A18 were both originally planned as a single continuous roadway, was it not?

Quote from Wikipedia for A15 & A18:
Quote:
"In governmental plans, the A15 and A18 together were meant to be one long motorway from the Europoort harbor near Rotterdam towards the town of Varsseveld in the east of the country. However, the section of this road between the interchange Ressen and Arnhem has never been constructed. To avoid confusion for drivers, the eastern part of the road has been given a different number: 18."
Any chance of this segment to come to pass in the near future?
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:10 PM   #5379
temlin

Likes (Received): 247

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertC79 View Post
Any talks about extending the A15 possibly to meet the western terminus of A18? I think I also read on Wikipedia that the A15 and A18 were both originally planned as a single continuous roadway, was it not?
Yes but the original plans are changed,

This one is the best option:
temlin no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2011, 10:23 PM   #5380
ChrisZwolle
Road user

The newer alternative that will terminate A15 at A12 north of Zevenaar makes actually more sense. There is not that much long-distance traffic to Enschede (which can also use A1), and most traffic on A15 will be regional commuter traffic in the so-called "Liemers" region, southeast of Arnhem. Zevenaar, Duiven, Westervoort and Didam are all relying on Arnhem/Nijmegen for job opportunities.

Tags
congestion, dutch, friesland, highways, motorways, netherlands